Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2018, 09:28 PM   #21
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc-chris View Post
sweet mother!!!

that is AWESOME!!!!
I was thinking the exact same thing, and trying to think of what I could build that would require this tool.

Wonder what it costs? $500
Old 07-03-2018, 09:41 PM   #22
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
I was thinking the exact same thing, and trying to think of what I could build that would require this tool.

Wonder what it costs? $500

More like $3K CAD.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 09:42 PM   #23
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Do whatever projects means you need one of these:

I’m scared to watch this. My ability to resist buying a tool is almost nil.
mikephoen is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mikephoen For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2018, 10:51 PM   #24
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

Purchase the lumber from Black Forest and consider renting some time at this place: https://www.fuse33.com/ I haven't actually rented any time there as I own most of the tools, but it looks awesome. If that's not an option, pay Black Forest a few bucks to prep the lumber to your liking. Just explain the project and what you need from them. They seem intimidating at first, but they are really helpful guys.

I've looked all over the city and Black Forest is the best by a mile. Most other places sell lumber that hasn't been properly dried yet which will bend and warp like crazy. Super frustrating.

To properly do a table top, you are going to need access to a planer. Period. Even the S4S stuff won't be perfect. Sanding it down sounds easy, but it's hours upon hours of work and never turns out perfectly flat. Plus, sawdust gets everywhere, including inside your lungs. A jointer is really nice, but similar results can be achieved with a table saw and a high-end blade.

Watch a bunch of videos on how to do a breadboard end. It's a pain, but our crazy weather swings will demolish a tabletop without it.

My last piece of advice is to embrace the "rustic" look. This look was invented by hobbyists who were tired of trying to make everything look perfect. Above all else, just go for it. Woodworking is great fun and I find it very relaxing (outside of the cursing at mistakes). Even a half-way decent table is going to last a few generations and will look 100 times cooler than the Ikea junk your buddies own.

Good luck!

PS - Someone should start a woodworking mega thread. I've hacked together several pieces of furniture and learned a bunch of lessons the hard way along the way.
psicodude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to psicodude For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2018, 10:51 PM   #25
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don’t know, that shaper seems like cheating. I’m not sure you can call something handcrafted when you use a tool like that.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 10:54 PM   #26
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by V View Post
I don’t know, that shaper seems like cheating. I’m not sure you can call something handcrafted when you use a tool like that.
Freehand routing is ranked in the top 10 most difficult things to do in the world. I goofy screen isn't going to help, IMO. There's a reason why Leigh jigs are $600.
Old 07-03-2018, 10:57 PM   #27
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe I misunderstood the tool. Is it the same as free handed routing but with a grid to guide you? It almost looked like a hand held CNC machine.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 11:04 PM   #28
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding. The videos make it look like there is a guide and it overlays where the bit currently is. Looks simple in a video, but running a router with an endmill is really hard.
Old 07-03-2018, 11:04 PM   #29
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by psicodude View Post
Freehand routing is ranked in the top 10 most difficult things to do in the world. I goofy screen isn't going to help, IMO. There's a reason why Leigh jigs are $600.

did you watch the video? it's actually really cool.... you keep the thing centered as best you can and the router head moves to make it perfect. i checked out a few video demos and it looks pretty slick. i think what would get me about a tool like that is the cost of buying the 'tape' with the 'domino' designs - i think the one video i watched said it was $18 (likely USD) for a roll that is 150' long. if you're working on a 4'x8' sheets of material and need to put an 8' strip of the tape down every 6" you'll go thru the roll pretty quick!

here's another video on the machine....
Old 07-03-2018, 11:06 PM   #30
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by V View Post
Maybe I misunderstood the tool. Is it the same as free handed routing but with a grid to guide you? It almost looked like a hand held CNC machine.
Yep, it’s a handheld CNC machine.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 11:16 PM   #31
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yeah, I was wrong. I read a few reviews and it's a handheld CNC that you push around. Very cool.

Way better (for me anyway) video of it in action here:

Old 07-04-2018, 08:40 AM   #32
Knalus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by psicodude View Post
Purchase the lumber from Black Forest and consider renting some time at this place: https://www.fuse33.com/ I haven't actually rented any time there as I own most of the tools, but it looks awesome. If that's not an option, pay Black Forest a few bucks to prep the lumber to your liking. Just explain the project and what you need from them. They seem intimidating at first, but they are really helpful guys.

I've looked all over the city and Black Forest is the best by a mile. Most other places sell lumber that hasn't been properly dried yet which will bend and warp like crazy. Super frustrating.

To properly do a table top, you are going to need access to a planer. Period. Even the S4S stuff won't be perfect. Sanding it down sounds easy, but it's hours upon hours of work and never turns out perfectly flat. Plus, sawdust gets everywhere, including inside your lungs. A jointer is really nice, but similar results can be achieved with a table saw and a high-end blade.

Watch a bunch of videos on how to do a breadboard end. It's a pain, but our crazy weather swings will demolish a tabletop without it.

My last piece of advice is to embrace the "rustic" look. This look was invented by hobbyists who were tired of trying to make everything look perfect. Above all else, just go for it. Woodworking is great fun and I find it very relaxing (outside of the cursing at mistakes). Even a half-way decent table is going to last a few generations and will look 100 times cooler than the Ikea junk your buddies own.

Good luck!

PS - Someone should start a woodworking mega thread. I've hacked together several pieces of furniture and learned a bunch of lessons the hard way along the way.

My advice is to knock the corners off each edge of each board, to make an intentionally grooved surface - it is a lot easier than trying to make everything smooth and match up perfectly.

Last edited by Knalus; 07-04-2018 at 09:47 AM. Reason: Picture didn't load
Knalus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Knalus For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2018, 01:32 AM   #33
Isikiz
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Thanks all for the advice and all of the discussion. Thought I'd just pop back in here and give an update on my project. I decided to scale back the scale of my project because it seemed like it'd probably be pretty dumb to go all out on the first real project.

After watching a ton of YouTube videos, I finally found one to base my project off of, though I wanted to change a couple of things. Instead of going for expensive hardwoods, I just went and grabbed some cheap pine from Home Depot. Glued two 1x12 and one 1x10 and together and lined some wood along the edges so that it had a slightly thicker look. I also braced the underside with some 1x4s for some more support. I then sanded and cut all of the edges and rounded the corners with an orbital sander.

After using a pre-stain, I covered the top and sides with a Minwax Oil Stain - Special Walnut. One coat seemed to do the trick. I then finished with about 7-8 coats of Minwax Oil Polyurethane diluted 1:1 with mineral spirits, sanding with 220 grit sandpaper in between.

I bought some 29" hairpin legs off of Amazon and screwed them in with the hardware that it came with.

I bought a couple of small tools and borrowed a bunch to make the table. I think it turned out pretty well! The final table dimensions ended up being 59" x 34".

Since it's pine, I know I should be expecting some nicking up of the surface over time, which is fine. I don't think I'll see any table sag, but I guess I'll have to see. I know it's obviously not a complicated or amazing project or anything, but it was immensely satisfying for me to see it come together. Hopefully it holds up! I think everything cost me about $250 in direct material costs to make, though it was a lot more expensive for me because I had to buy some of the other stuff (i.e. made an excuse to buy a new power drill and impact driver). This first foray was a ton of fun and now I want to build all of my furniture myself haha.

Final product:
Spoiler!

Thanks again for the advice!