Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2018, 10:54 AM   #261
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Valimaki primary assist from last night:

Link
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2018, 11:25 AM   #262
really?
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

The thing that makes that assist intriguing is the way Valimaki sets up the lane with a brief show of a shot. That shot is a natural inclination for an offensive player in that position, and a predictable defensive read, but Valimaki is already thinking of the secondary task of the seam pass while understanding how a defensive mindset will be altered by a small fake. Not that this is unique, but good players don't just see the play, they read the ice, and hopefully this is an indication that Valimak plays the game in such a fashion.
really? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 11:05 PM   #263
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Joly picked up an assist and was -2 and 2sog in a 5-2 loss to the Mooseheads.
Mooseheads lead the Drakkar 1-0.

Ruzicka had 0pts and was -1 and lead all players in 6sog in a 6-2 loss to the Spitfires.
Spitfires lead the Sting 1-0.

Gawdin had 0pts and 1sog in a 3-0 win.
Broncos lead the Pats 1-0.

Phillips had 1 assist 2sog in a 2-1 loss
Giants lead the Royals 1-0.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2018, 08:23 AM   #264
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Joly had 2 assists 5sog +2 in a 5-3 loss to the Mooseheads.
Mooseheads lead the Drakkar 2-0.

Ruzicka assisted on an EN goal 4sog +1 in a 4-1 win over the Spitfires.
The series is tied 1-1.

Fischer played for the first time since Feb 10. 0pts +1 3sog in a 4-3 OT win.
Chiefs lead the Winterhawks 1-0.

Gawdin had 0pts 5sog in a 2-1 loss.
Series tied 1-1.

Phillips had 1a -1 2sog in a 5-4 win
Series tied 1-1.

Wild game in Kelowna last night. Rockets got out to a 3-0 lead in the first 3 minutes of the 1st period. Americans managed to end the 1st up 4-3. Final score Americans 9 - Rockets 7.

Valimaki 0pts -1 4sog
Dube 0pts -3 3sog

Americans lead the series 2-0.

Last edited by sureLoss; 03-25-2018 at 05:11 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2018, 02:25 PM   #265
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pats and Broncos are tied 1-1 in their series
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2018, 08:42 AM   #266
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Fischer had 1g+1a +2 2 sog in a 4-3 loss.
Series tied 1-1.
Old 03-26-2018, 09:49 PM   #267
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gawdin gets 2 goals and 1 assist in a 4-1 win over Regina. Swift Current leads the series
2-1.
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Beninho For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2018, 08:28 PM   #268
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Joly had 3 assists +1 2sog in a 4-2 win over the Mooseheads. Joly having a good playoff series so far 3gp 6pts even.
Mooseheads lead the series 2-1

Ruzicka held pointless with 4 sog in a 5-3 win. He and Kyrou are being shut down by Windsor, each have 1 point so far in 3 games.
Sting lead the series 2-1

Giants and Royals currently playing game 3. 5 mins left in the 1st and Giants up 1-0. Series is tied 1-1.
Old 03-27-2018, 10:39 PM   #269
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Royals end up losing 5-1.
Phillips had no points and was -4 with 7sog.
Giants lead the series 2-1.
Old 03-28-2018, 05:42 PM   #270
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Going to purchase the Tri-City vs Kelowna game tonight. Starts at 8 pm MT time for those who want to watch. The first two games were incredibly open and fun to watch. I think if Valimaki has a strong playoff run the flames will seriously consider moving him into the lineup and make room for him in the offseason. Just a guess
Old 03-28-2018, 05:44 PM   #271
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Royals end up losing 5-1.
Phillips had no points and was -4 with 7sog.
Giants lead the series 2-1.
Important to note that the Royals are dealing with a series of injuries to 4 of their best players. Phillips and Hannoun are basically the only 2 players who can provide any offense for the Royals right now. Because of these injuries Phillips has had to be used on the first pk unit. Don’t see the Royals winning this series unless at least one of Tyler Soy, kaspick, Walford, or Kambeitz come back from injury.

Last edited by Beninho; 03-28-2018 at 06:09 PM.
Old 03-28-2018, 08:13 PM   #272
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Valimaki scores early in the first period on the PP. Commentator said that Ryan Sutter (flames head of player development) is in attendance. Valimaki been everywhere so far this game. Looking excellent

Wow Dube gets tossed out of the game for the second time this series. Didn’t catch it but the Rockets bench isn’t happy. Dube assessed a game misconduct for kneeing.

Valimaki finishes the game with 1 g 1 A in a 5-3 win.

Last edited by Beninho; 03-28-2018 at 11:50 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Beninho For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2018, 09:50 PM   #273
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

2 game misconducts in 3 games for Dube. If Kelowna gets swept, I want to see him in against the Oilers on Saturday.
Old 03-28-2018, 11:51 PM   #274
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
2 game misconducts in 3 games for Dube. If Kelowna gets swept, I want to see him in against the Oilers on Saturday.
I believe Dube will be suspended for the next game as well.

His first game misconduct was a joke, I did not see the replay of the knee incident but he did injure the player.
Old 03-29-2018, 08:03 AM   #275
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Other games:

Joly was held pointless, -2, and 3sog in a 8-1 loss.
Mooseheads lead the series 3-1. Game 5 is Friday, which could be Joly's last QMJHL game this season.

Gawdin had 1g+1a -2 5sog in a 6-3 loss.
Series tied 2-2

Fischer no points even and 3sog in a 3-1 loss.
Winterhawks lead the Chiefs 2-1.
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2018, 10:39 AM   #276
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beninho View Post
Valimaki scores early in the first period on the PP. Commentator said that Ryan Sutter (flames head of player development) is in attendance. Valimaki been everywhere so far this game. Looking excellent

Wow Dube gets tossed out of the game for the second time this series. Didn’t catch it but the Rockets bench isn’t happy. Dube assessed a game misconduct for kneeing.

Valimaki finishes the game with 1 g 1 A in a 5-3 win.
How did Dube look in his limited game time? His stats line is awful for an elite player.
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 11:22 AM   #277
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
How did Dube look in his limited game time? His stats line is awful for an elite player.
He barely played last game before getting thrown out early in the first.He looked really dangerous the first game but got thrown out of the game for running the goalie when he was clearly pushed in by an opposing player. I didn’t watch the second game so I can’t comment on that. WHL refs do throw out players with a lot more frequency than in the NHL. That being said it has not been a good playoffs for him, Tri City’s defense has been destroying kelowna with quick transition passes and a dominating PP.

Just a 3 game sample size but let’s just say I’m very happy we got Valimaki over Foote. Foote hasn’t been bad but outside of being a little more physical and blocking shots he doesn’t seem to do anything better than Valimaki, especially in the offensive zone. The thing I’ve been most impressed with by Valimaki is how quickly he moves the puck up the ice, he doesn’t play with the puck, his head is always up trying to find an outlet pass to a forward. He runs an excellent PP and is able to make some terrific cross ice passes, and his skating is terrific. I guess what I’m trying to say is I think he was a superb pick and I think he could play in the NHL next year. Without a doubt our best prospect and should be viewed as untouchable.

Last edited by Beninho; 03-29-2018 at 12:03 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Beninho For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2018, 02:08 PM   #278
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beninho View Post
He barely played last game before getting thrown out early in the first.He looked really dangerous the first game but got thrown out of the game for running the goalie when he was clearly pushed in by an opposing player. I didn’t watch the second game so I can’t comment on that. WHL refs do throw out players with a lot more frequency than in the NHL. That being said it has not been a good playoffs for him, Tri City’s defense has been destroying kelowna with quick transition passes and a dominating PP.

Just a 3 game sample size but let’s just say I’m very happy we got Valimaki over Foote. Foote hasn’t been bad but outside of being a little more physical and blocking shots he doesn’t seem to do anything better than Valimaki, especially in the offensive zone. The thing I’ve been most impressed with by Valimaki is how quickly he moves the puck up the ice, he doesn’t play with the puck, his head is always up trying to find an outlet pass to a forward. He runs an excellent PP and is able to make some terrific cross ice passes, and his skating is terrific. I guess what I’m trying to say is I think he was a superb pick and I think he could play in the NHL next year. Without a doubt our best prospect and should be viewed as untouchable.
That would be quite a feat. Not many d-men make the jump in draft +2 ...

With the current Flames defense contracts and prospects it might make sense for him to play a full year in the AHL and be ready for 2019-20.

Morrissey who was drafted in the #13 spot in 2013 had a over the top 73 pts in 59 games in draft +1 then went back to junior and had a better draft+2 year and then spent a full year in the AHL in Draft +3 ... In Draft +4 he was a solid NHL d-man and Draft +5 a top-2 on most NHL teams.

Helps the Flames on the cap front without the quick burn on his ELC if he spends another year in junior.

Kylington and Anderson are finishing draft+3 They should be really close to being NHL ready next year or might never be.
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 06:14 PM   #279
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
That would be quite a feat. Not many d-men make the jump in draft +2 ...

With the current Flames defense contracts and prospects it might make sense for him to play a full year in the AHL and be ready for 2019-20.

Morrissey who was drafted in the #13 spot in 2013 had a over the top 73 pts in 59 games in draft +1 then went back to junior and had a better draft+2 year and then spent a full year in the AHL in Draft +3 ... In Draft +4 he was a solid NHL d-man and Draft +5 a top-2 on most NHL teams.

Helps the Flames on the cap front without the quick burn on his ELC if he spends another year in junior.

Kylington and Anderson are finishing draft+3 They should be really close to being NHL ready next year or might never be.
Everything you said is correct but if Valimaki has a good pre-season I think they will make room. But yes, he probably starts the season in the AHL but Valimaki has the skills that could very much convince the Flames to keep him up, especially if a dman is traded in the offseason.
Old 03-29-2018, 07:42 PM   #280
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Phillips and the Royals playing on SN 360 tonight. Don’t know if it’s just for the SN pacific region tho