Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2018, 02:40 PM   #321
bluck
First Line Centre

Exp:

It's 1.60 here in Vancouver, so be happy you're paying 0.30 less then me haha
bluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 12:16 AM   #322
Corral
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frequitude View Post
Do you require this information for everything you buy? Why should a public company be required to disclose its detailed cost model to the public and competitors beyond what is required by IFRS accounting standards?
Only required because I don’t believe that supply and demand set retail gas prices. Full transparency will allow the market to function without distortion and because I want these companies to prove they don’t fix prices
Corral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 12:26 AM   #323
Corral
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
Is your salary on the internet?

Also, I would argue food is more important than gasoline - do we get the exact cost breakdown for your local grocer?

Gas stations aren't very complicated. They basically pay the rack rate for wholesale gasoline from a refinery, pay for transportation to their station, add a variety of taxes, and pay credit card fees. Then they have to cover overhead out of what's left, to pay for staff, property tax, electricity, etc.
Not interested in the gas station itself. It’s the wholesale gas price we are being told is based on market forces. I say baloney.

Re salaries. Not asserting my salary is set by market forces so no need for a disclosure requirement
Old 07-12-2018, 05:44 AM   #324
firebug
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corral View Post
Not interested in the gas station itself. It’s the wholesale gas price we are being told is based on market forces. I say baloney.

Re salaries. Not asserting my salary is set by market forces so no need for a disclosure requirement
I know that this is unlikely to convince you...

But here are the wholesale 'rack' prices for different products all across canada. You can see that Rack price for the same product can vary by more than 10 cents/L depending on which terminal you are picking the product up from.

Prices are updated daily in Cents/Liter but do not include taxes.

https://www.petro-canada.ca/en/rack-...k-pricing.aspx

https://www.shell.ca/en_ca/business-...k-pricing.html

Large purchasers can often negotiate a discount off of the rack prices of a few cents per liter.

~P^2

Last edited by firebug; 07-12-2018 at 05:46 AM.
firebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 06:49 AM   #325
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Is your salary on the internet?
Yes
Old 07-12-2018, 07:57 AM   #326
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks View Post
Yes
I knew I would get that from someone, generally public employees, some union employees, CEO types, etc.

But most people don't .

And my point that nobody asks for the grocery store or bakers financials to be transparently online in great detail went unaddressed. Even though food is a greater need than gasoline, and the bakers admitted to price fixing in the very recent past. But why let facts get in the way of a good conspiracy theory.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 08:32 AM   #327
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I knew I would get that from someone, generally public employees, some union employees, CEO types, etc.

But most people don't .

And my point that nobody asks for the grocery store or bakers financials to be transparently online in great detail went unaddressed. Even though food is a greater need than gasoline, and the bakers admitted to price fixing in the very recent past. But why let facts get in the way of a good conspiracy theory.
The counter would be if two years ago you came to me and said that Bread was being price fixed I would have used the exact same type of Data people use now to show that Gasoline isn't subject to manipulation.

Now I think that at least from the Commodity price to the pump it isn't price fixed but I'm not sure that you can say from the data available that it is certain it isn't.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 09:21 AM   #328
Corral
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The point i'm trying to make is that the price of transport gas is largely unaffected by demand from drivers.

The price is largely affected by the forward and derivative markets - which are largely run by the trading desks at companies like Shell or BP or Suncor and the larger banks. So they can manipulate prices by moving positions in these financial commodity markets - and they do. And there is very little reporting or transparency requirements on these trading desks.

These dark commodity markets were pretty much brought into existence by the Bush administration in the Enron era - at the request of you know who. Its why gas spiked in the first decade of the 21st century.
Old 07-12-2018, 09:48 AM   #329
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Upon what factual evidence do you base this suspicion?
Frequitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 11:31 AM   #330
Corral
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Upon what factual evidence do you base this suspicion?
i used to work at a gas station - those owners are not capable of price fixing LOL
Old 07-12-2018, 11:40 AM   #331
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
i used to work at a gas station - those owners are not capable of price fixing LOL
I’m asking about your wholesale price fixing suspicion. What evidence are you basing this suspicion on?
Frequitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 12:43 PM   #332
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I’m asking about your wholesale price fixing suspicion. What evidence are you basing this suspicion on?
Gas is more expensive than what he seems to think it should be.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2019, 03:07 PM   #333
Ace
First Line Centre

Exp:

What’s the deal with Costco lately. They used to be a good 7-10 cents better than market. They’ve been down to 1 cent better for the last few months. Surprised to see lines there still.
Old 03-31-2019, 05:03 PM   #334
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

There are still giant lines of brainless souls sitting at Costco waiting to get gas. As long as those bozos exist, Costco will keep their discount minimal.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 05:29 PM   #335
Buzzard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
There are still giant lines of brainless souls sitting at Costco waiting to get gas. As long as those bozos exist, Costco will keep their discount minimal.

Gotta wonder what people are thinking right?

Costco gas at Deerfoot Meadows has at LEAST a 10 - 15 min lineup almost always. A block or two away, you can zoom into Co-op's gas bar for a penny more a litre, not get out of the car and be in and out of there in 5 minutes paying a whopping 30-50 cents more a tank than Costco. PLUS, if I'm not mistaken, if you're a member (I'm not) you get a nickle or something back per litre into your membership share equity!
Buzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Buzzard For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2019, 06:03 PM   #336
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzard View Post
Gotta wonder what people are thinking right?

Costco gas at Deerfoot Meadows has at LEAST a 10 - 15 min lineup almost always. A block or two away, you can zoom into Co-op's gas bar for a penny more a litre, not get out of the car and be in and out of there in 5 minutes paying a whopping 30-50 cents more a tank than Costco. PLUS, if I'm not mistaken, if you're a member (I'm not) you get a nickle or something back per litre into your membership share equity!

Co-op is now 8 cents per litre (was 6 cents). I don’t have a lot of share equity, so I get about 50% of that towards equity, and 50% as cash back each year. Still - 4 cents into my pocket (eventually) is better than any other loyalty program I believe.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 06:23 PM   #337
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah why go to Costco in deerfoot meadows when coop is right around the corner. Better gas and not much more expensive

Bit off topic but how does a coop membership work anyway? I thought you got a small cheque every year or something but I signed up in Nov 2017 and have never gotten anything
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 06:38 PM   #338
keratosis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Yeah why go to Costco in deerfoot meadows when coop is right around the corner. Better gas and not much more expensive

Bit off topic but how does a coop membership work anyway? I thought you got a small cheque every year or something but I signed up in Nov 2017 and have never gotten anything
The money is rolled into shares until you are over a certain amount. After that it's 50 /50 until you are 65? I believe.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk
keratosis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to keratosis For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2019, 06:47 PM   #339
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post

You might not have enough equity to get a cheque. It’s based on their fiscal year which ends on October so you missed the cut to get on in 2018. I would call them or go in to a store and ask.

I get gas at the Heritage Co-op regularly because it’s often the cheapest location in town. It’s usually busy but I agree that lining up at Costco is a waste of time.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 06:50 PM   #340
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keratosis View Post
The money is rolled into shares until you are over a certain amount. After that it's 50 /50 until you are 65? I believe.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk
It’s based on how much equity you have. I have almost $2000 in equity so I get 95% back which is nice because I spend a lot at Co-op, especially in gas.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post: