Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-22-2015, 12:38 PM   #41
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't mind Colborne. He should be better with his size and skill but just can't seem to put it all together. Still he's a better player than Ferland, Jooris, and Raymond so he's not going to sit before them.
Old 12-22-2015, 12:42 PM   #42
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I don't mind Colborne. He should be better with his size and skill but just can't seem to put it all together. Still he's a better player than Ferland, Jooris, and Raymond so he's not going to sit before them.
He's not though. Ferland and Jooris drive the play offensively and defensively better than Colborne. As does Frolik and Backlund, who also get less ice time on average. There is quite literally no justifiable reason for Colborne to have gotten all the PP and ice time he's recieved. Literally the worst point generation when he's on the PP, yet loads of PP time
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Street Pharmacist For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2015, 12:45 PM   #43
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
True enough, and obviously you can add Bollig to that list as well. He has improved every year in the league, with big steps each time. Though this year he's about the same pace as last year (which was a .44 PPG).

He's had a rough couple games but in others he was decent IMO. Other players got better playing on the top line for a game and then moving down. Jooris played better after his little top line stint, so did Raymond, so did Jones. Hartley may be just getting the guy going.
Old 12-22-2015, 12:50 PM   #44
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Johnny and Monny would be best with a big body who can draw defenders to him and then dish it off, with someone who can dominate the boards and also screen the goalie. Colborne certainly has that potential and is a much better passer than Jones.

I think its a great idea in theory and certainly could be good in practice as well if they can get some chemistry. Colborne has underrated hands (by some) and I think the power forward role on a scoring line is also underrated by some. Ferland hasn't looked ready for the opportunity when he was put up there in training camp. Jones probably looked the best fit on the top line so far but Colborne is theoretically a better fit IMO. Colborne and Monahan can be great on the cycle and all 3 are capable of little touch passes. Colborne is one of our best at screening the goalie and parking himself in front. He's also one of the best at protecting the puck.

I can see what Hartley is thinking there.

Backlund with Bennett and Ferland is intriguing. Lots of youth and skill there with a veteran two-way centre.

Stajan with Jones and Bouma is a nice grinding/checking line. Good two ways, great on the cycle.

Granlund on a scoring line with Raymond and Hudler is interesting too. I could see that line getting hemmed in their own zone at times will be interesting to see how they respond. If they don't play well I could see that line not getting a ton of ice time.
Old 12-22-2015, 12:50 PM   #45
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
He's not though. Ferland and Jooris drive the play offensively and defensively better than Colborne. As does Frolik and Backlund, who also get less ice time on average. There is quite literally no justifiable reason for Colborne to have gotten all the PP and ice time he's recieved. Literally the worst point generation when he's on the PP, yet loads of PP time
Jooris is strictly a north/south skater. When he gets up to speed on a rush he can be effective but the rest of his game is not very good as he's not much of a playmaker at all. Ferland is only effective when he's using his body and when he's not he's usually trying too hard to make fancy plays and turning the puck over. Colborne is one of the few Flames forwards that can actually battle along the boards for the puck and not get manhandled. In my mind Colborne is an NHL regular player and the other two are tweeners. Raymond is what he is.

The Flames forward depth is still lacking which is why you see Hartley juggling the lines so much. Monahan and Gaudreau are being leaned on way too much to create all the offense which is part of the reason this team has struggled this season. Guys like Backlund haven't stepped up, Bennett is still a rookie, guys like Jones and Colbourne aren't ideally top 6 players, while players like Jooris and Ferland are 4th line or pressbox players on a cup contending team.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 12-22-2015 at 12:55 PM.
Old 12-22-2015, 01:03 PM   #46
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Going to the game tonight, so looking forward to a 4-2 Flames win!
Old 12-22-2015, 01:06 PM   #47
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Pat Steinberg @Fan960Steinberg
#Flames have officially activated Bouma off IR. Frolik placed on IR to make room.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2015, 01:12 PM   #48
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

6-1 Flames and they get back into a playoff spot for the Christmas break.
Old 12-22-2015, 01:18 PM   #49
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Quote:
The Flames forward depth is still lacking which is why you see Hartley juggling the lines so much. Monahan and Gaudreau are being leaned on way too much to create all the offense which is part of the reason this team has struggled this season.

In spite of the poor power play, the Flames are not having a problem putting the puck in the net. The issue is that they can't keep the puck out of their own net.
Old 12-22-2015, 01:25 PM   #50
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by heep223 View Post
In spite of the poor power play, the Flames are not having a problem putting the puck in the net. The issue is that they can't keep the puck out of their own net.
Keeping the puck out of the net has been an issue since game one but so was goal scoring until Brodie came back and the defense has started chipping in offense like last season. Not a lot of forwards are producing for this team. Bennett is the team's 5th highest scoring forward for crying out loud.
Old 12-22-2015, 01:29 PM   #51
genetic_phreek
First Line Centre

Exp:
icon57

All this Colborne backlash means only one thing. He's going to have a good game.

Flames win, everyone on CP has a Merry Christmas.

Done.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to genetic_phreek For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2015, 01:29 PM   #52
CsInMyBlood
Franchise Player

Location: F*** me. We're so f***ing good, you check the f***ing standings? Lets f***ing go! F***ing practice!
Exp:

Bennett-Backlund-Ferland

Love the look of that line! Cant wait to see it.

Go Flames Go!

Backlund for Selke 2017 2018
Oilers suck.
The Following User Says Thank You to CsInMyBlood For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2015, 01:33 PM   #53
Funkhouser
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I said it a year ago and I stand by it:

"And the first pick of the Las Vegas Black Knights is...Joe Colborne!!"
Old 12-22-2015, 01:41 PM   #54
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Got the ol' box tickets to the game tonight.

Last day of work today too till the new year.

Seems like a recipe for a hangover tomorrow.

Go Hockey Go
Old 12-22-2015, 01:49 PM   #55
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looking forward to bennett-backlund-ferland !
Johnnys line should theoretically be fine as long as it's not Colborne carrying the puck in instead of Johnny. Don't want to see that at all.
Old 12-22-2015, 01:57 PM   #56
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

At least Colbourne throws a hit or two a game. Raymond is softer than marshmallow and is always cheating in front of the net instead of screening the goalie.
Old 12-22-2015, 02:09 PM   #57
FiveSeven
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I know Hartley likes to roll 4 lines lately but Hudler on the 4th line, hopefully he wakes up.

Yeah nobody really expected him to match or exceed his previous season, but he's been completely invisible to me. He used to be making all kinds of plays and now I don't even notice him.

How he still puts up points is beyond me, but at the same time it's a sign that it looks like he does have more to give.
The Following User Says Thank You to FiveSeven For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2015, 02:29 PM   #58
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveSeven View Post
I know Hartley likes to roll 4 lines lately but Hudler on the 4th line, hopefully he wakes up.

Yeah nobody really expected him to match or exceed his previous season, but he's been completely invisible to me. He used to be making all kinds of plays and now I don't even notice him.

How he still puts up points is beyond me, but at the same time it's a sign that it looks like he does have more to give.
Not that it matters much, but Raymond-Granlund-Hudler is probably the third line, Stajan 4th. I would worry about that line against any team, but in particular a big Jets team. They better hope they keep it in the Jets zone.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Old 12-22-2015, 04:17 PM   #59
nieuwy-89
First Line Centre

Exp:

The Jets played a very strong game in Edmonton last night, but Talbit stood on his head. The Jets will come out hard tonight and play angry. If the Flames can weather that they should be okay. Flames keys to the game:
  • The top 4 d-men have to play to their potential, box out the Jets top 2 lines and block lots of shot.
  • No soft goals against.
  • Give the puck to Johnny!

I'm hoping the Flames will give their fans a Christmas present and not a lump of coal!
Old 12-22-2015, 05:12 PM   #60
foshizzle11
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Just found out I am going to the game tonight, so pumped!!

Tags
gtd , winwinwinwinwinwinwinwin