Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 12:20 PM   #41
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Aaron Vickers@AAVickers5m
Tim Jackman will play his 400th career game tonight, his 32nd birthday: "I wasn’t even sure I was going to play 100 games." #Flames

Aaron Vickers@AAVickers4m
Wideman will play in No. 600, too: “I’m feeling pretty old. You definitely don’t wake up as fresh in the morning as you did when you’re 22.”

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MissTeeks For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2013, 12:33 PM   #42
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Hoping for a great game tonight. Flames win 5-2. Goals from cammalleri, Monahan, baertschi (2), and jones.
Old 11-14-2013, 12:37 PM   #43
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

Blah. Smith, Bouma > SOB, Jackman
Old 11-14-2013, 12:38 PM   #44
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTeeks View Post
Well, it is Jackman's birthday today, maybe that's why he's playing.
That's just great. I imagine Backlund is extremely excited to center that line of boat anchors on either side. Hartley needs to understand the importance of having four solid lines.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2013, 12:50 PM   #45
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

I find it pretty amazing that McGrattan has played all but two games and we're sitting younger energy guys like Bouma.
Old 11-14-2013, 01:17 PM   #46
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
That's just great. I imagine Backlund is extremely excited to center that line of boat anchors on either side. Hartley needs to understand the importance of having four solid lines.
I agree with the hate of having Backlund with McGrattan and Jackman/Bouma, but a team is made up of different roles, and one of those roles is to grind out the opposition. That's what McGrattan, Jackman, and Bouma are supposed to do (whether they do it very well is another matter). Flames need guys like that, you can't run 4 lines of softies out there.

This is really on Backlund. He needs to show that he is one of the 3 best centres on this team CONSISTENTLY. He can't have one good game and then just rest on his laurels and disappear. Right now, Monahan and Stajan are outplaying Backlund. Colborne has struggled lately and I could see a case for switching him up with Backlundl; however, Colborne will always get a bigger pass because of his size.

Someone needs to centre the grind line, and if you aren't playing the best that you can, it's going to be you. Backlund has not played as well as he can consistently. He needs to force the coach's hand, he needs to force one of the other 3 centres down to the grind line.
Old 11-14-2013, 01:22 PM   #47
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
though bouma hasn't been bad at all, i wish we say more nastiness in his game. thought he'd be more of a "bull in a china shop" type 4th liner. I'm also surprised he has yet to drop the gloves.
This may have been pre-season, but I do recall him fighting once.
Old 11-14-2013, 02:16 PM   #48
dustyanddaflames
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by codynw View Post
This may have been pre-season, but I do recall him fighting once.
He fought in Washington, IIRC
Old 11-14-2013, 02:31 PM   #49
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

oops my bad.

In any case, thought he'd be a nastier to play against player.
Old 11-14-2013, 02:39 PM   #50
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ugg, why in the hell are Jackman and SOB back in? Jackman I can kind of forgive but SOB should not leave the press box for the rest of the season.
Old 11-14-2013, 02:46 PM   #51
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looks like we get Lehtonen afterall:

Dallas Stars@DallasStars2h
Kari Lehtonen in net as the #Stars seek an elusive back-to-back victory tonight. WATCH: http://ow.ly/qPEOi

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.
Old 11-14-2013, 02:46 PM   #52
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:
lanny

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Ugg, why in the hell are Jackman and SOB back in? Jackman I can kind of forgive but SOB should not leave the press box for the rest of the season.
I thought Smith didn't play too well last game. He poked at the puck instead of corralling it in the defensive zone on a few occasions resulting in the puck ending up in SJ's possession..

He doesn't have enough poise out there so SOB slots back in.

Giordano cant get healthy fast enough eh..?

Last edited by SeanCharles; 11-14-2013 at 02:55 PM.
Old 11-14-2013, 02:49 PM   #53
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Looks like we get Lehtonen afterall:

Dallas Stars@DallasStars2h
Kari Lehtonen in net as the #Stars seek an elusive back-to-back victory tonight. WATCH: http://ow.ly/qPEOi

Jackman-Backlund-McGrattan is fun to say out loud. Over and over.
Old 11-14-2013, 02:51 PM   #54
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCharles View Post
I thought Smith didn't play too well last game. He poked at the puck instead of corralling it in the defensive zone on a few occasions resulting in the puck ending up in SJ's possession..

He doesn't have enough poise out there so SOB slots back in.

Giordano cant get healthy fast enough eh..?
He has more poise than SOB, I can put skates on my cat and he would have more poise than SOB. I guarantee the guy will cost us at least 1 goal tonight and probably more. The guy is beyond bad, he makes Chris Butler look like Regehr in his prime.
Old 11-14-2013, 02:52 PM   #55
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Some other tidbits.

Quote:
Rob Kerr ‏@SNRobKerr 2m Coach Hartley challenged team to either start at 7:08 tonight or just play 3 - third periods. Slow starts killing team of late.

[/QUOTE]
Quote:
Rob Kerr ‏@SNRobKerr 2m #Stars are tough on the road 5-1-0 in last 6 away from home. Riding a 4 game road winning streak.
Old 11-14-2013, 02:55 PM   #56
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Still can't believe the standings. Blues are a wildcard team at 11-2-3
Old 11-14-2013, 02:56 PM   #57
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Aaron Vickers@AAVickers5m
Tim Jackman will play his 400th career game tonight, his 32nd birthday: "I wasn’t even sure I was going to play 100 games." #Flames
That makes two of us, Tim. That makes two of us.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pierre "Monster" McGuire For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2013, 03:02 PM   #58
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:
Flames

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
He has more poise than SOB, I can put skates on my cat and he would have more poise than SOB. I guarantee the guy will cost us at least 1 goal tonight and probably more. The guy is beyond bad, he makes Chris Butler look like Regehr in his prime.
I'm not saying he is better/worse than Smith or anything. Just that Smith played bad so he is sitting this one out.

If Gio was healthy then both would sit and there would be no issues..

I'd trade both Smith, O'Brien and possibly even Butler at the deadline if I could.

Given our top 5 of Gio, Brodie, Wideman, Russell and Smid and our youth waiting for a chance we don't overly need those 3. Butler might be useful to keep but the other two can go no problemo..

But we probably need O'Brien's salary on the books next year to help reach the cap floor...
Old 11-14-2013, 03:03 PM   #59
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan in Exile View Post
To those saying Backlund has done little to show he deserves to play on a line with skilled players, how have Colbourne and Stajan show they deserve to be centring the first or second line? The only centre with more points than Backlund is Monahan. Stajan despite getting loads of icetime on the first line including powerplay time has five points in ten games.
Can't really use the powerplay excuse when Backlund has gotten much more PP time than Stajan.

Besides, none of those centers haven't shown much in terms of offense this season. Stajan has at least shown that he's capable of playing on a line and being defensively responsible while not getting in the way of the offense created by his wingers, this season I've been much more concerned with Backlund's defense than offense. At his best Backlund is easily a top 9 forward, and we've seen that best under Hartley, however, he hasn't shown it this year.

I honestly don't even think Backlund and Stajan are comparable this year given their play. Stajan, while far from an ideal top 6 center, has deserved and earned his spot based on past and current play. Backlund was given a spot because there was no other option to start the season and only had his time reduced when they decided to give Colborne more ice time because they felt he was outplaying the other options including Backlund.

It would have been a different story if the younger and unknown Colborne was given a ton of ice-time to start but he was given under 10 minutes (in some cases under 5 minutes) while Backlund was getting 20 minutes a night. One player's lackluster play cost him ice-time and the other earned it. Hardly unfair, especially when Colborne does get his minutes reduced when he has a bad stretch.

I've been vocal against Hartley's decisions, especially with regards to the younger players, but this is one case I'm completely on board with the decision. Backlund was put in a position to succeed to start the season, it didn't work. Tough luck if he has to earn his ice time now.

Last edited by Oling_Roachinen; 11-14-2013 at 03:06 PM.
Old 11-14-2013, 03:15 PM   #60
Five-hole
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think SOB has been better than Smith. Happy with that change.
Closed Thread

Tags
gtd , winwinwinwinwin , winwinwinwinwinwin , winwinwinwinwinwinwinwin