Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-25-2012, 11:03 AM   #1
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:
Default Guild Wars 2

Beta Weekend for anyone who pre-purchased is this weekend. Starts on Friday (you can still get in if you pre-purchase).

I'll post some more when I am not at work, but I will say that I have never been so excited for any other MMO. It looks amazing - World vs. World PvP looks like a ton of fun.

Anyone else hyped for this one?
CaramonLS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaramonLS For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2012, 11:08 AM   #2
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Warhammer, Conan, Rift and most recently the Old Republic have made me leery of all things MMO. Not sure if I'm jaded because of WoW but none of them seem to measure up. I'll definitely wait for some reviews and public opinion before trying this one.
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 11:48 AM   #3
SoulOfTheFlame
First Line Centre

Exp:

Might grab it up.. Gw2 has no sub fees right?

SoulOfTheFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 11:54 AM   #4
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

No Sub Fees - you might want to tune into Twitch TV (online) this weekend as there are going to be tons of streamers for the entire weekend.

But I hear you about all the hype / fails of previous MMOs. I mean at least this time there has been a lot of significant press access with a lot of videos (more than a lot of these other MMOs you named) while accessing their major pvp Feature, WvW.

Not a ton of Ilum videos from SWTOR, otherwise the cat would be been out of the bag on its terribleness.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:01 PM   #5
SoulOfTheFlame
First Line Centre

Exp:

ultima online circa 98-2000 is still the best online gaming of all time. Nothing has compared since.

SoulOfTheFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SoulOfTheFlame For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2012, 12:27 PM   #6
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

Why do you have to make me so sad with those distant memories
The Following User Says Thank You to CaramonLS For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2012, 12:59 PM   #7
Lithium
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I'm still waiting for my download link to be e-mailed to me for the beta weekend.... hopefully that comes tonight
Lithium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 01:52 PM   #8
HPLovecraft
Took an arrow to the knee

Exp:

I'm really excited for Guild Wars 2, is there a release date yet?
Old 04-25-2012, 02:05 PM   #9
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Guild Wars really isn't a traditional MMO though is it? It's more like Diablo or something, where the actual fighting is all instances with small #'s of people, and even the common areas are instanced based on population.

Or is Guild Wars 2 different?

EDIT: Doing away with the holy trinity style, or "the old way"? I'm officially interested.
Old 04-25-2012, 02:41 PM   #10
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

Completely different from GW1. Still some crossover, but the instancing is completely gone, apart from some pvp arenas.

Dynamic world events are one of the biggest features - basically you earn experience by a random event popping up on the map to you and everyone else in the area, the more ppl in the event, the more xp you earn.

World vs world vs world pvp is where it will really shine.

3 shards duel eachother at once in a massive area map, kind of similar to the daoc RvR model.
Old 04-25-2012, 02:42 PM   #11
Lithium
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Guild Wars really isn't a traditional MMO though is it? It's more like Diablo or something, where the actual fighting is all instances with small #'s of people, and even the common areas are instanced based on population.

Or is Guild Wars 2 different?

EDIT: Doing away with the holy trinity style, or "the old way"? I'm officially interested.
No more easy mode MMO of finding the ! and ? on your mini-map to figure out where to get quests from.
Lithium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 03:06 PM   #12
MaDMaN_26
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaramonLS View Post
Not a ton of Ilum videos from SWTOR, otherwise the cat would be been out of the bag on its terribleness.
I don't think even bio-ware would argue Illum was a failure... but was it their fault? What do suppose makes this open world PVP any different? I'm not sure I know what bio-ware could have done differently ... if people decide that instead of fighting that standing in large groups and trading kills is the best way to get the rewards that were intended to motivate players to pvp, what can dev's do? ... Why can't this same thing happen in GW2.

Not trying to be snarky, but I have read up on GW2 much and maybe there is a fundamental difference I am not aware of. It sounds cool... but so did Illum before it was played. The dev's never imagined the players would do what they did... is it possible for any dev team to truly make a world pvp environment go as intended?

GW2 will be interesting to watch.
Old 04-25-2012, 04:15 PM   #13
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaDMaN_26 View Post
I don't think even bio-ware would argue Illum was a failure... but was it their fault? What do suppose makes this open world PVP any different? I'm not sure I know what bio-ware could have done differently ... if people decide that instead of fighting that standing in large groups and trading kills is the best way to get the rewards that were intended to motivate players to pvp, what can dev's do? ... Why can't this same thing happen in GW2.

Not trying to be snarky, but I have read up on GW2 much and maybe there is a fundamental difference I am not aware of. It sounds cool... but so did Illum before it was played. The dev's never imagined the players would do what they did... is it possible for any dev team to truly make a world pvp environment go as intended?

GW2 will be interesting to watch.
Fair comment.

One of the cool things about GW2 open PvP is that they are basing it off the similar DAoC model, which has actually been proven to work.

However, there are some fundamental difference between what Ilum is and what WvW is. First off, lets start with the game engine. One of Ilum's problems was the fact that most people, if there were 15-20+ people on your screen, you would suffer game crippling lag. I would frequently get 4-5 FPS on Ilum (no word of a lie).

Ilum had 2 factions, WvW has 3. It is server vs. server vs. server - so 3 servers are always pitted against eachother.

This addresses things two fold - one, with Ilum there were massive imbalances between Sith & Jedi, with Sith outnumbering Jedi on most servers 3/4 to 1. Two, having three factions will be a lot better than two, as even if there are not as many people in A and B than C, they can group up together. There are also caps on the number of people in WvW at the same time, so there should be some balance in that respect. I think Population won't be too much of an issue, but we'll see.

Another thing, the WvW map is 100x larger than Ilum. No word of a lie. 100x.

Reward system - the rewards in Ilum - there was zero incentive for actually capturing and holding certain objectives. There is in GW2 (stat & farming buffs for factions).

Amount of objectives, there are tons of capture points -and it will not be beneficial to simply zerg an objective the way it is built. They've provided a premium on defense (with cannons, arrow carts, trebs, catapults) - like in real life. Likely you're going to be encouraged to run in small groups or as a guild. If you zerg an objective, an enemy may hit 3 of yours at the same time.

Character comp / team synergy. The way GW2 looks is that variety is going to significantly help team fights. So team composition is going to be very important. Again, this is getting away from the killing of the zerg mentality that persisted in Swtor.

I don't think they're going to have a valor system close to what SWTOR did which encouraged the whole kill trading crap. I think it also developed too because of how sh*tty Ilum was overall when no one was coming and going. I think you're going to see a difference with the OBJECTIVE based PvP as opposed to the whole incentive Swtor had with dailies and kill trading.

Remember a very similar system worked in DAoC to great success.

I think you're going to be pleasantly surprised at how it all develops. But I'm totally hearing you on how you are skeptical, you should be with some of the recent failures of recent MMORPGS. At least this isn't an EA title.
Old 04-25-2012, 07:14 PM   #14
eden
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Haven't been this excited for an MMO in a long time, been following any GW2 news I could get my hands on for a couple years now and am very excited that it will be arriving fairly soon. From what I've seen so far GW2 seems to have kept the things I loved about Guild Wars, added some awesome new features (dat WvW pvp), and done away with what I didn't like (instanced areas everywhere outside of towns). Really loving the art and design of the characters/world as well. Unfortunately I'm going to miss the first beta weekend, but hopefully I'll be ready for the next.

Might have to go grab some 'boss' battle videos and pvp videos that I've been watching for here.
eden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:51 PM   #15
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Where do I go to download the beta so I'm ready for Friday?

I got the email that said I was invited, go to the forums, etc., but don't know where to download the client. It specifically tells me to do so in the email, but the email link is not direct to the download page.

Edit: eh I found it. Silly location, plus the page wasn't loading correctly.

Last edited by Ashasx; 04-25-2012 at 08:56 PM.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:08 PM   #16
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

Downloading the client now. Can't wait!

Here is a tip for people that can't read instructions: The game will install inside the folder that you run the GW2.exe from, so create a permanent folder and move that file into it before running it.

Last edited by psicodude; 04-25-2012 at 09:12 PM.
psicodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:34 PM   #17
SaskaBushFire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Hrmm this is the first I have heard of GW2.. interesting.

I played DAoC from beta till just a few years ago on and off, great game, lots of fun. The 8v8 fighting that developed out of DAOC's complementary class system is ranked up there with the old days of Sonoma in my memories of great gaming experiences.

One thing that is ranked up there with blessed vanq runic weapons and the implementation of trammel for worst memories in an online game is tri realm balance issues. Mythic had a horrible time trying to keep three realms balanced in PvP. Theurgists went unnerfed for a damn decade. One class could completely unbalance a fight, what the hell man! But I have faith in the fact that these are two entirely different companies, but I am still weary of anyone trying to tackle that three team beast. I like it, just balance issues are the first thing that comes to mind.

I will have to start paying attention to this game though and I thank you for that.

Edit: Let me put that foot in my mouth.. yup there we go. I didn't realize it was server vs. server, I was assuming three separate factions. Well there goes the balance issues... I guess they decided the WOW route was much easier.

Last edited by SaskaBushFire; 04-25-2012 at 09:39 PM.
SaskaBushFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:59 PM   #18
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

The level of depth and character skill customization though is amazing, at least according to what they are saying.

With the Trait / Weapon systems, you could see a warrior roll up on you and do tons of different things depending on what he specialized in and built.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:01 AM   #19
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

I can't wait. I got into the stress test on my second account last week but by the time I signed up and installed I got in for 5 min Made a toon and got into the world and that was it.

I now have access on the account I pre-purchased on as well as the second account and i'm off work tomorrow so my buddy and i are going to play the $%^$ out of it.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 08:47 AM   #20
llama64
First Line Centre

Exp:

I was really excited about GW2 until I started seeing videos of game play.

GW1 always seemed to have a delayed aspect to every action in the game. Walking felt like floating, combat felt more like waiting through cast bars and cooldowns. Was fun in it's own right, but even WoW had more of an immediate impact while playing.

GW2 videos seem to show that movement is even more floaty and combat is even more drawn out. Compare that to Diablo3 which easily communicates the impact of character skills through animation and sound.

Maybe the videos were alpha stage and this has been tightened up. Don't want to spend money on a pre-order just to find out that I hate the way the game plays :/
llama64 is offline   Reply With Quote