Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-19-2018, 09:28 PM   #1
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default Eavstrough and gutter repair: Anybody on CP? Any tips?

Hi all,

I am just about to head overseas for an extended period of time and I got a call from a tenant at my rental house. Looks like the eavstrough's and gutters are leaking a little bit on the front of the house. They could use a replacement.

Looking for some affordable options, nothing fancy as the house is very old and it doesn't have tons of life left.

Anybody on CP do this work? Any recommendations?

Thx
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 10:31 PM   #2
lucky1
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Call Moe - Owner of Gutter Patrol - +1 403-818-6546

best prices in town and such a nice guy - he'll fix you up with either a repair job or great priced replacement
lucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lucky1 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2018, 11:12 PM   #3
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Excellent. I have an upper eavestrough dinged up by some columnar aspens and was ready to ask the same question.

CP FTW!
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 06:18 AM   #4
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nice, do you know if he does continuous gutters? Considering doing that for my garage, but I'm maybe just looking for the gutter material and I'll install myself.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 08:29 PM   #5
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Anybody have those leaf guards over their gutters? It'd be $1k for my house (installed), but I don't know if they're a good idea.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 12:22 AM   #6
lucky1
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

When I had Moe out to redo mine, he quoted me $$ to fix the existing and a quote for a full replacement - it was a no brainer. The next day he pulled up in a big van, set up all his equipment and went to work - him and his helper measured each piece and bada bing, the machine spit it out and up it went. What I thought would be an all day affair (remove old eavestrough/downspouts and install new), was only about 1/2 day from start to finish. really couldn't be happier - and just the nicest guy, offered to come and and clean them for free if I wanted, as well as gave me some touch up paint for the existing aluminum capping around the roofline of the house.

Last edited by lucky1; 07-23-2018 at 12:24 AM.
lucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 10:05 AM   #7
ricosuave
Threadkiller

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Anybody have those leaf guards over their gutters? It'd be $1k for my house (installed), but I don't know if they're a good idea.
depends what kind of debris you have in your area IE trees that drop lots of branches and other bits, poplar fuzz, that sort of thing

we have em on our house and theyre a godsend.
ricosuave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ricosuave For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2018, 07:00 PM   #8
homestand
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curves2000 View Post
Hi all,

I am just about to head overseas for an extended period of time and I got a call from a tenant at my rental house. Looks like the eavstrough's and gutters are leaking a little bit on the front of the house. They could use a replacement.

Looking for some affordable options, nothing fancy as the house is very old and it doesn't have tons of life left.

Anybody on CP do this work? Any recommendations?

Thx
Send Jeff a text at 403-651-5003.

He has done work
  • for me
  • a friend of mine
  • former Flames players and
  • at least one current Flames player
homestand is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to homestand For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2018, 08:20 AM   #9
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricosuave View Post
depends what kind of debris you have in your area IE trees that drop lots of branches and other bits, poplar fuzz, that sort of thing

we have em on our house and theyre a godsend.
I don't really have those issues, but I can see how if you did they would be great. I have some pine cones and leaves, but I think I'll finish off the eavestrough without the gutter guards for now. I can always add them later on.

Thanks for the answer.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 08:51 AM   #10
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

This may not be the best time to get it done. Aluminum and steel have gone up 30% since the beginning of the year. Add in Trump’s tariffs and it may turn out to be an expensive fix. Maybe a repair is the better way to go until things settle down.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 08:55 AM   #11
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Materials are pretty cheap though. $1/foot from Rona, which is the same as I saw last year from what I remember. For my 700 sq foot garage that's only about $100(excluding all the other bits). Even if they do go up(which for aluminum would I think is all made in Canada anyway) it won't be a make or break for a single house job.
Old 07-24-2018, 08:59 AM   #12
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Yeah, I suppose. As a manufacturer of aluminum products, all I hear is how the increases are killing our customers. It’s all relative, I guess.
Old 07-24-2018, 09:02 AM   #13
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just curious, why are prices rising in Canada? Don't we produce our own aluminum? Or do we make it, ship it the states where it is manufactured into stuff then brought back?
Old 07-24-2018, 09:31 AM   #14
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Supply and demand. As far as aluminum goes there has been increased demand for it in recent years. It’s a pretty cyclical thing and right now we are at the wrong part of the cycle. At the same time we are buying in US dollars which is a killer.

As far as tariffs go, the vast majority of master coil comes from the US. We import it, make whatever out of it and then sell it within Canada for the most part. We get a bill from the government for 10% at the beginning of every month. That just started this month.
The Following User Says Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post: