dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

CP Name: dobbles
PSN ID: dobbles81
Preferred League: Not Sure
Preferred Position: LD
Goaltender Eligible: when needed

I am going to go ahead and throw my hat in the ring again. not sure about the league. i often have more fun when just messing around. but also did enjoy when we went on some of our runs with really good play. i have to think more about how much i will want to play this year.

(though the wife will be gone in the spring, may lead to lots of free time!)
This individual is not affluent and more of a member of that shrinking middle class. It is likely the individual does not have a high paying job, is limited on benefits, and has to make due with those benefits provided by employer.
dobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 01:32 AM   #22
czure32
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Id prolly be intersted in playing EASHL again for NHL10 a little
but I likely wont be looking to play hardcore, because eventually constantly being blamed for goals against or being told you suck starts to get a little old
PSN: Czure32
position: anything but goal unless you really want to see your +/- tank
Old 08-16-2009, 01:34 AM   #23
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobbles View Post
CP Name: dobbles
PSN ID: dobbles81
Preferred League: Not Sure
Preferred Position: LD
Goaltender Eligible: when needed

I am going to go ahead and throw my hat in the ring again. not sure about the league. i often have more fun when just messing around. but also did enjoy when we went on some of our runs with really good play. i have to think more about how much i will want to play this year.

(though the wife will be gone in the spring, may lead to lots of free time!)
Tottally random, you've disappeared since the playoffs. You stop being a red wing homer or just get get tired of trying to explain yourself? I was betting on you having an awesome meltdown.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 02:02 AM   #24
Human Torch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
Tottally random, you've disappeared since the playoffs. You stop being a red wing homer or just get get tired of trying to explain yourself? I was betting on you having an awesome meltdown.
So are you playing LW or RW?
Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 02:19 AM   #25
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by czure32 View Post
Id prolly be intersted in playing EASHL again for NHL10 a little
but I likely wont be looking to play hardcore, because eventually constantly being blamed for goals against or being told you suck starts to get a little old
PSN: Czure32
position: anything but goal unless you really want to see your +/- tank
True enough but I don't want people to feel over competitive about this so then they get talked down and create tension. After all this is just about having fun playing with one another. However if your going to play on the pro league team you will have to be good enough at least to play a good team play style and don't cheery pick or be a forward if your defense. Basically, do what is asked out of the position you picked and play both defense and offense.

I'm think this year we need to have a structure and utilize the point big time and set up a good cycle offense. If it's one thing about the top teams for EASHL, they use all of their teammates and they all work together. If the developers get the goalies to be good enough that we can't pull off easy goals as in 09, we will need to get the puck moving around in the zone from player to player to open up good scoring chances, not to mention we don't get shutdown easily by opposing teams. Plus when we do use the point properly, most of the times we end up getting goals from zingers, deflections, or rebounds.
Joborule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 02:33 AM   #26
Human Torch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

We should make headsets mandatory for professional play. I know I like using the text chat because of all the background noises going around the house that the mic can pick up. However, communication will now be even more important. Hopefully the mics work all the time now. I know we've had games where only a couple of teammates could hear each other speaking.

Last edited by Human Torch; 08-16-2009 at 11:02 AM.
Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Human Torch For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2009, 11:32 AM   #27
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Torch View Post
We should make headsets mandatory for professional play. I know I like using the text chat because of all the background noises going around the house that the mic can pick up. However, communication will now be even more important. Hopefully the mics work all the time now. I know we've had games where only a couple of teammates could hear each other speaking.
Defiantly and mic should be better this year. Was a priority for the NHL team this year for better mic connection.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Joborule For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2009, 01:21 PM   #28
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
i got totally sick of putting up with the same two comments every time that i said anything:

"you are just mad because the baby flames are leaving"

or

"why are you always starting arguments about the red wings"

so even though i had a mostly positive interaction with CP, for me, it had turned into a place full of morons. so i just quit beating my head into the wall and left altogether.
This individual is not affluent and more of a member of that shrinking middle class. It is likely the individual does not have a high paying job, is limited on benefits, and has to make due with those benefits provided by employer.
Old 08-16-2009, 01:45 PM   #29
CMPunk
aka Spike

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post
True enough but I don't want people to feel over competitive about this so then they get talked down and create tension. After all this is just about having fun playing with one another. However if your going to play on the pro league team you will have to be good enough at least to play a good team play style and don't cheery pick or be a forward if your defense. Basically, do what is asked out of the position you picked and play both defense and offense.

I'm think this year we need to have a structure and utilize the point big time and set up a good cycle offense. If it's one thing about the top teams for EASHL, they use all of their teammates and they all work together. If the developers get the goalies to be good enough that we can't pull off easy goals as in 09, we will need to get the puck moving around in the zone from player to player to open up good scoring chances, not to mention we don't get shutdown easily by opposing teams. Plus when we do use the point properly, most of the times we end up getting goals from zingers, deflections, or rebounds.
Has anyone told Chuckie about this?
CMPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 01:50 PM   #30
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

Quote:
as i stated in the 09 thread, i think having two teams is great because with the Fatas, people wanted different things out of the team. there was a core group that got pretty competitive and took our team ranking seriously. and there were others that totally just wanted fun out of the game. hopefully this new system with 2 leagues will allow more people to get what they want out of the team.

Quote:
are we really going to utilize the point or just talk about it? i will be completely honest; as someone that plays primarily D, aside from Human Torch (StMerc) most people rarely passed to the point. there would be time i wouldn't even bother to skate to the offensive zone; it was pointless. (haha nice pun!) it often felt like we would just play with 3 people in the offensive zone. i know for me it was one of the reasons i soured on the team and took my break. it made playing not very enjoyable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Torch View Post
i agree with this. being able to communicate in real time while playing is essential for any team that really wants to be competitive.
Old 08-16-2009, 02:04 PM   #31
ChuckieNZ
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
are we really going to utilize the point or just talk about it? i will be completely honest; as someone that plays primarily D, aside from Human Torch (StMerc) most people rarely passed to the point. there would be time i wouldn't even bother to skate to the offensive zone; it was pointless. (haha nice pun!) it often felt like we would just play with 3 people in the offensive zone. i know for me it was one of the reasons i soured on the team and took my break. it made playing not very enjoyable.
Yes, but it goes both ways too. I know there were times when I was loathe to pass back to the point too, because the chances of a turnover/breakaway going the other way was too high. The best teams have arguably their best players on D for this reason. And trusting your team mates is another issue. To play a complete team game, there has to be a certain level of trust. I don't have that with some players, which probably contributes to the view that I am a selfish player.

I am interested to see how this two tier system will work, although there is a risk that nothing will change from this last year.
ChuckieNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 02:12 PM   #32
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckieNZ View Post
Yes, but it goes both ways too. I know there were times when I was loathe to pass back to the point too, because the chances of a turnover/breakaway going the other way was too high. The best teams have arguably their best players on D for this reason. And trusting your team mates is another issue. To play a complete team game, there has to be a certain level of trust. I don't have that with some players, which probably contributes to the view that I am a selfish player.

I am interested to see how this two tier system will work, although there is a risk that nothing will change from this last year.
fair enough. and hopefully i didn't come off as calling out you specifically or anything (unlike cmpunk!) its just something i have noticed by a lot of forwards. its especially bad in community games because the forwards are super selfish and always think that driving the net is the best offensive move.

actually that kind of makes me think of the concept in general. because as someone thats usually the last out of the zone, i have seen so many plays in front of me that are going up ice where the forward always assumes the best option is to push 'up' as quickly as possible. but so many times passing laterally is a great option. or when exiting the zone, passing back to regroup is often a good move. heck when i play dynasty, i often pass behind the net to get some space because all the options are covered to get out of the zone. but it seems like online, people really push the play forward even when its not the best option.
Old 08-16-2009, 02:15 PM   #33
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckieNZ View Post
I think we'll just have to be smart with the puck when we pass it back to the point and players that our defense will gain the skill to be responsible with it at the point since they will be part of the play. Firing it back when the defender is farily covered isn't going to make the defense job easy. But when do they get the puck they'll need to be aware and prepared to get rid of the puck quickly if pressure comes. If we can move the puck to the point and contorl it, thus making it part of our play style, it opens up the offensive zone for us completely instead of only working down low and trying to pass into the slot which teams can completely block out. With having defenders be part of the offense and taking shots or moving the puck around from and to the point, the offensive zone is open for us to set up space and open up good offense chances for each other. We will never be shut down offensively because we are being too one dimensional. Thats why I don't want point play to be just talk this year and actually something we utilze. I'm sure that our defensive players will be able to preform well enough. Besides, practice makes perfect even if we have troubles off the bat.
Old 08-16-2009, 02:59 PM   #34
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Wow, seems like no one wants to play RD. Lucky me!

CP Name: Flash Walken
PSN ID: FlashWalken
Preferred League: Professional/NHL
Preferred Position: RD/LD, but prefer RD
Goaltender Eligible: Never, you don't want me in net. I am great outside the blue paint.

Re: the point.

I somewhat agree with what Dobbles is saying, and I do love jerking around with Chuckie about passing the pil, but really, when I am playing with Jobo, chuckie, koop etc, I don't really feel the need to call for passes much, i am more looking to not get burned and play safe defence.

That being said, I have a hell of a slap shot and like to think I am a valuable weapon back there, mostly because of my willingness to back off a bit and make the safe play. With the board work this year, I am really going to be looking to dump it into the corner if I don't have an immediate pass or shot.

Also, I bring a physical brand which put me at a detriment until I learned a more lidstrom style of play, but with the intimidation this year, I will have a whole new facet to explore in team play.

As always though, I am constantly looking for feedback on my play, and would actually like to go through a couple of tryout games, just to make sure I've still got it with the new pass function etc.

Finally, I think dobbles and I are dynamite together on the back end, going for the D to Do one-timer is great. I don't mind finishing the game pointless, but a +2.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 03:06 PM   #35
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I think we'll just have to be smart with the puck when we pass it back to the point and players that our defense will gain the skill to be responsible with it at the point since they will be part of the play. Firing it back when the defender is farily covered isn't going to make the defense job easy. But when do they get the puck they'll need to be aware and prepared to get rid of the puck quickly if pressure comes. If we can move the puck to the point and contorl it, thus making it part of our play style, it opens up the offensive zone for us completely instead of only working down low and trying to pass into the slot which teams can completely block out. With having defenders be part of the offense and taking shots or moving the puck around from and to the point, the offensive zone is open for us to set up space and open up good offense chances for each other. We will never be shut down offensively because we are being too one dimensional. Thats why I don't want point play to be just talk this year and actually something we utilze. I'm sure that our defensive players will be able to preform well enough. Besides, practice makes perfect even if we have troubles off the bat.
Right.

if you are only using the forwards in the o-zone, it is essentially playing 3-5. I am not sure how the endurance will work this year online, but a minute or two of sustained pressure, even if it means sending it back to the point just for it to be dumped back into the corner, could really be something to capitalize on, not to mention how easy it is to start running around and chasing the puck if you are the defenders.

Also, can't count how many tip ins, and rebound goals I have had go in off one of my point shots. I don't know how you guys set up your players, but if we had a designated Power Forward or two (Dear god keep kipper is king away from the front of the net! ) who parked in front for the screen, you can have an excellent set up on either side for the cross crease pass, or the deflections/garbage from the point.

I also faking the slapper, having the rushing forward go down, curling it around and firing it top cheese. This new game is going to be fun.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 03:27 PM   #36
Esoteric
First Line Centre

Exp:

CP Name: Esoteric
PSN ID: Esoteric88
Preferred League: Professional/NHL
Preferred Position: RW
Goaltender Eligible: When Needed
Esoteric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 05:43 PM   #37
Berger_4_
First Line Centre

Exp:

I wouldn't mind throwing my hat into the ring for this.

PSN ID: Berger_4_ (original eh)
Preferred League: AHL. I didn't own 09, and I played it pretty casually, so I'm pretty out of practice. I might be able to pull my act together later on if need be though.
Preferred Position: Defence. Either side. I'll play wing too if need be.
Goaltender Eligible: Well I'm eligible, but that doesn't mean I'm good. If everyone else who played goal up and died during the game, I could give it a shot. But otherwise, no.

If you took a burger off the grill and slapped it on your face, I'm pretty sure it would burn you. - kermitology
Berger_4_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 07:13 PM   #38
Sly
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

What rank was your guys' team in 09 btw?
Sly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 07:16 PM   #39
ChuckieNZ
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sly View Post
What rank was your guys' team in 09 btw?
In January/Feb we were up to rank 95 (Div 1), but we have fluctuated between that and Div 7 depending on who was primarily playing. That's part of the reason why there will be two teams this year.

When we field our best team, we have regularly beaten teams in the top 50.
ChuckieNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 09:45 PM   #40
KevanGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

CP Name: KevanGuy
PSN ID: KevanGuy
Preferred League: Depends how things shake out I guess. I'd like to play on the NHL team but I have the same reservations as a couple posted above. I came late to the party in 09 so hopefully I can start fresh in 10 and stick with the NHL team.
Preferred Position: RD
Goaltender Eligible: Never
KevanGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eashl , kik cherry picks , nhl 10 , ps3