Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2019, 10:39 AM   #81
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
The only issue with the Netflix special is they interview a lot of the people who some feel are just as responsible for the mess. Promoters and media and such. The Hulu documentary apparently talks a lot more about that.
I don’t really share that sentiment. Almost everyone they interviewed had some part in it, but many (including those who did take part) became financial victims themselves.

It was destined to fail. I don’t think you can blame the parties who did what they could to avoid that and still failed.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 11:47 AM   #82
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
I don’t really share that sentiment. Almost everyone they interviewed had some part in it, but many (including those who did take part) became financial victims themselves.

It was destined to fail. I don’t think you can blame the parties who did what they could to avoid that and still failed.
They're no different than trades people who get suckered into a project and don't get paid. Yes, they should have shown better judgement about what project they took on, but the vast majority aren't responsible for the end result.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2019, 12:04 PM   #83
RogerWilco
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just watching this now. It really seems like even the organizers are a bunch or rich kids from rich families that are simply too nieve to understand what they are getting into. A bunch Of drunk talk got the ball rolling on something that is far more difficult to pull off than they could possibly know. It’s the rich kid who had everything given to them mentality. And Ja Rule is just a scum bag, he is pushing Billy the entire time. It’s obvious that even though he is successful it would have to be mostly due to his talent, he had to have had a team that figured everything out for him in his career. He is basically just a loose cannon. This is just my guess as I don’t really know much about Ja Rule. It just feels like a bunch of rich kids with to many other rich kid connections that were able to get a social media campaign going on something they simply could never had pulled off. They did t even know they needed toilets. Planning 101 you first figure out water and sewage capacity because if you don’t have it nothing else matters.

Last edited by RogerWilco; 01-19-2019 at 12:07 PM.
RogerWilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 12:04 PM   #84
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
They're no different than trades people who get suckered into a project and don't get paid. Yes, they should have shown better judgement about what project they took on, but the vast majority aren't responsible for the end result.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2019, 12:15 PM   #85
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Very interesting documentary. What surprised me was how Billy, a young entrepreneur with a relatively unproven track record, was able to continually get millions of dollars when needed as the event got closer. I do feel bad for the locals on the island that thought the event would be an annual (huge) boost to their economy
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 12:26 PM   #86
RogerWilco
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
Very interesting documentary. What surprised me was how Billy, a young entrepreneur with a relatively unproven track record, was able to continually get millions of dollars when needed as the event got closer. I do feel bad for the locals on the island that thought the event would be an annual (huge) boost to their economy
Somehow he was able to sell people ocean front property in Regina. People were just buying things they didn’t actually have. He is just a con man that has rich connections because of his upbringing.
Old 01-19-2019, 01:11 PM   #87
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Billy has something more going on than just being a con man. He's a pathological liar and a sociopath. What could possibly convince him that it was a good idea to try to promote VIP access scams again while out on bail for his involvement with Fyre. At least with Fyre they intended to put on a concert.

With these email scams he was pulling while on bail, it's going to paint everything he did with Fyre in a negative light. Only a total narcissist and sociopath would think of doing something like that. Can you imagine being a judge listening to Billy plead that it was just an issue of costs spiraling out of control and then while on bail he's selling fraudulent VIP passes?
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 01:14 PM   #88
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Billy has something more going on than just being a con man. He's a pathological liar and a sociopath. What could possibly convince him that it was a good idea to try to promote VIP access scams again while out on bail for his involvement with Fyre. At least with Fyre they intended to put on a concert.

With these email scams he was pulling while on bail, it's going to paint everything he did with Fyre in a negative light. Only a total narcissist and sociopath would think of doing something like that. Can you imagine being a judge listening to Billy plead that it was just an issue of costs spiraling out of control and then while on bail he's selling fraudulent VIP passes?
There were a lot of red flags in the doc but the biggest was the part where they showed how he would add new villas to the festival when they were short on cash flow, even though he knew they didn't exist and never would.

And at another part they talked about how cash flow had run low so he introduced the wristband RFID wallet so they could pay for the other stuff that they'd promised but not delivered. It was crazy. Everytime he ran out of money he just put up a new fake product/service on their festival page and people ate it up.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 01:28 PM   #89
RogerWilco
First Line Centre

Exp:

The Netflix doc was good. He basically runs frauds similar to ponzi schemes. How do you watch Hulu, I don’t know much about it. Interested in seeing more.
Old 01-19-2019, 01:38 PM   #90
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Another part of the film - to me anyways, is about how important marketing is to get funding and sell a project. He is really good at it. Don't get me wrong - none of his ideas are revolutionary, but he is able to get people excited about ideas - both investors and marketers. So many people could use his skill set - people who can create things, but can't sell for ####.

The collorary of course is that all the marketing in the world won't substitute for a good product and good business. Eventually everyone figures out the emperor has no clothes.
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 01:59 PM   #91
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Great doc. It's worth watching alone for the old guys anecdote about how far he almost had to go to secure the evian water shipment to the island. I lol'd pretty hard.
icecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to icecube For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2019, 03:52 PM   #92
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don’t know. Some of these guys they were interviewing have put on a lot of music fests they knew it was going to be a disaster and stuck around so they could get paid.

At some point you should call a spade a spade and stop taking money from people. I don’t rwally feel for anyone involved and they should all be held responsible in some fashion.

I’m talking the the execs and Fyre guys - not the regular workers and what not.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 03:59 PM   #93
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecube View Post
Great doc. It's worth watching alone for the old guys anecdote about how far he almost had to go to secure the evian water shipment to the island. I lol'd pretty hard.
He was the most interesting interviewee for me. Not just for that anecdote, but for the fact that he seemed like a knowledgeable, intelligent and experienced person who should have known better but kept getting dragged along by Billy.

That guy hauled Billy's ass out of the fire so many times....and why? For what? I'd have let Billy fail months before the actual thing imploded.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 04:48 PM   #94
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
I don’t know. Some of these guys they were interviewing have put on a lot of music fests they knew it was going to be a disaster and stuck around so they could get paid.

At some point you should call a spade a spade and stop taking money from people. I don’t rwally feel for anyone involved and they should all be held responsible in some fashion.

I’m talking the the execs and Fyre guys - not the regular workers and what not.
Outside of the guy who was blind in one eye, I’m not sure which of the guys interviewed fits the mould you’re talking about.

Almost everyone interviewed were contractors or pulled over from the Fyre media side to work on the festival.

I also don’t really think there’s anything wrong with being hired to do a job, being honest with your employer about the dangers, and accepting the paycheque when they tell you to go ahead anyway.

It seems like everyone in the Netflix doc lost money and certainly didn’t see that coming for them or anyone else beside Billy.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2019, 10:05 PM   #95
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Watched it based on the feedback in this thread. Pretty amazing. I felt so bad for the restaurant owner. Billy is pure scum.
Old 01-19-2019, 10:55 PM   #96
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Me too, what a crazy documentary. Weird how Billy had people filming during really private and incriminating gatherings.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 10:58 PM   #97
8 Ball
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
Watched it based on the feedback in this thread. Pretty amazing. I felt so bad for the restaurant owner. Billy is pure scum.
I felt so bad for her also. She seems like a really nice lady who got totally screwed over.
8 Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 10:58 PM   #98
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Ja Rule came off like any number of artists that get the bug to get into business on a major level as fame gives them god-like feelings towards entrepreneurship.

I think he was really pumped and thought he'd be the next rapper with a huge business career post apex of fame, and just figured everything would come together with a great idea, a rich, smart partner and his name.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 12:09 AM   #99
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

The app seems like a really good.idea though
Old 01-20-2019, 02:28 AM   #100
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Outside of the guy who was blind in one eye, I’m not sure which of the guys interviewed fits the mould you’re talking about.

Almost everyone interviewed were contractors or pulled over from the Fyre media side to work on the festival.

I also don’t really think there’s anything wrong with being hired to do a job, being honest with your employer about the dangers, and accepting the paycheque when they tell you to go ahead anyway.

It seems like everyone in the Netflix doc lost money and certainly didn’t see that coming for them or anyone else beside Billy.
Ya I disagree. Blatantly obvious the people being interviewed are currently going for glory. I’m actually shocked they aren’t being held liable.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote