Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-2011, 03:02 PM   #121
Calgaryborn
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
FYP

Sorry but the amount of massive irony of the original post screamed for my cheese version of CB's post.
Your not sorry. Your a rabid atheist and live for opportunities to attack other people's faith without acknowledging your own blind faith.

That in fact is why I phrased my original post the way I did. You lack the ability to question scientific dogma because it is where your faith lies. You just can't see it.

In fact you and others of your ilk attack relentlessly anyone who dares oppose your beliefs. You start threads just to promote your narrow views and attack others for theirs.. You have the same zeal as a JW or Muslim zealot. The only difference is your mandate.
Calgaryborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 03:08 PM   #122
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgaryborn View Post
Your not sorry. Your a rabid atheist and live for opportunities to attack other people's faith without acknowledging your own blind faith.

That in fact is why I phrased my original post the way I did. You lack the ability to question scientific dogma because it is where your faith lies. You just can't see it.

In fact you and others of your ilk attack relentlessly anyone who dares oppose your beliefs. You start threads just to promote your narrow views and attack others for theirs.. You have the same zeal as a JW or Muslim zealot. The only difference is your mandate.
^^^^
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 03:16 PM   #123
keratosis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The world is flat!

That is all.
keratosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 03:36 PM   #124
Day Tripper
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

I guarantee that the computer you use to type your valued insights was built upon scientific discoveries. Throw thy computer away, for thou art a hypocrite! Never visit this forum again!
Day Tripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 03:57 PM   #125
Calgaryborn
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Day Tripper View Post
I guarantee that the computer you use to type your valued insights was built upon scientific discoveries. Throw thy computer away, for thou art a hypocrite! Never visit this forum again!
I can appreciate scientific advancements and still maintain independant thought and reason. Try it. Its not that hard.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:00 PM   #126
Phaneuf3
First Line Centre

Exp:

Phaneuf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 04:06 PM   #127
Day Tripper
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I can appreciate scientific advancements and still maintain independant thought and reason. Try it. Its not that hard.
And Thor doesn't? Please provide evidence.
Day Tripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 04:07 PM   #128
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 04:09 PM   #129
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:

Not this old chestnut again. Faith in science is not the same as faith in the super-natural.

http://www.skepdic.com/faith.html

There are reasons for trusting science and there are reasons for religious convictions, but the reasons for our trust in science are called evidence and the reasons for our religious convictions all reduce to hope.

Physicist Bob Park explains this difference in a way even the most devious casuist should understand. The Oxford Concise English Dictionary, he notes, gives two distinct meanings for faith:
"1) complete trust or confidence, and 2) strong belief in a religion based on spiritual conviction rather than proof." A scientist's "faith" is built on experimental proof. The two meanings of the word "faith," therefore, are not only different, they are exact opposites.*

Last edited by troutman; 01-06-2011 at 04:13 PM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2011, 04:58 PM   #130
Calgaryborn
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Day Tripper View Post
And Thor doesn't? Please provide evidence.
Can you provide evidence of a time where Thor didn't walk in lock step with scientific orthadoxy? Didn't think so.

I can provide plenty of evidence where Thor has belittled and ridiculed people of different faiths. He seems to need to do it the confirm his own beliefs or perhaps it is his version of door to door evangelism. Thor shares the same zeal as those Christians who leave tracts whereever they go or those Muslims who answer the call to jihad. He just can't see the hypocrisy of his own position.

Thor can see the irony in a post but, is wholy blind to the irony in his own life. I guess that's why they call it blind faith.
Old 01-06-2011, 05:07 PM   #131
Iowa_Flames_Fan
Referee

Exp:

OK guys, let's not derail this thread. Vaccines (for reasons I don't quite understand) are a hot enough button, we don't need to bring religion into it.
Iowa_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 05:11 PM   #132
Jake
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The vaccine controversy reminds of the claim that cell phones cause cancer.

Both lack a logical scientific explanation and both became so popular that society needed to waste resources to research them.
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 05:40 PM   #133
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

THREAD STARTER..... you feel especially important starting a controversial thread like this today BASED on your own experience!!!!!

Good for you in YOUR small world!!!

I wont post again but this RUINED my day coming on here and reading this AS THE FATHER OF an Autistic ........

I greatly beg to differ.

INVOLVE A GREAT DEAL OF YOUR LIFE TO THE TOPIC AND BECOME SCIENTIFICALLY, MORALLY, PSYCHOLOGICALLY INVOLVED AND THEN COME TALK TO ME
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 05:49 PM   #134
Mean Mr. Mustard
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think anyone is belittling autism or more importantly those impacted by autism. However there is a focus on the fallacies which surround the disorder. Being offended by this thread shows that when people are emotionally involved they make irrational decisions as a result and ignore the scientific evidence that does not fit into your understanding of the disorder because it is much better from a psychological standpoint to be able to place the blame at the feet of big pharmaceutical companies than to accept that sometimes some people get a raw deal.

Edit: I hope you do respond to this by the way, not to mock you or look down on your ideas but rather to engage in discussion.

Last edited by Mean Mr. Mustard; 01-06-2011 at 05:51 PM.
Mean Mr. Mustard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 05:49 PM   #135
jar_e
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVERLAST View Post
THREAD STARTER..... you feel especially important starting a controversial thread like this today BASED on your own experience!!!!!

Good for you in YOUR small world!!!

I wont post again but this RUINED my day coming on here and reading this AS THE FATHER OF an Autistic ........

I greatly beg to differ.

INVOLVE A GREAT DEAL OF YOUR LIFE TO THE TOPIC AND BECOME SCIENTIFICALLY, MORALLY, PSYCHOLOGICALLY INVOLVED AND THEN COME TALK TO ME
So only people who have autistic kids can talk about autism?
jar_e is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jar_e For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2011, 05:55 PM   #136
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Isnt Photons son autistic? He doesnt seem to be offended by this discussion.
Old 01-06-2011, 05:56 PM   #137
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Exp:

THANKS and with that i WILL leave it up to those who know me the ability to judge MY freedom of expression.
Old 01-06-2011, 05:58 PM   #138
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
Isnt Photons son autistic? He doesnt seem to be offended by this discussion.
Never said I was offended......inferred it but didnt say so directly!!

Thanks for jumping to conclusions
Old 01-06-2011, 06:00 PM   #139
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

It wasnt much of a jump.
Old 01-06-2011, 06:02 PM   #140
AFireInside
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm very confused by the last few posts from EVERLAST... I haven't read every single post but I don't see why there can't be discussion about this.

If it turns out that vaccines have no link to autism there are a lot of kids who are not getting important vaccines because of misinformation. If there is a link then those need to be looked at as well.
AFireInside is offline   Reply With Quote