Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-01-2020, 01:00 PM   #41
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by agulati View Post
Players wont get re-rated through the season, correct? And if a player retires in the real world, is he required to retire in the league as well?

For instance, if Engelland (69 rating) retires, will I have to get him to retire, or can I use him for the year still, and if Williams (64 rating) retires, can I approach that differently and get him to retire?
yeah players don't get re-rated during the season.

if a player retires in real world, he retires from the CPHL too - effective immediately. Unless the player retires at the end of the season - then he can finish his CPHL season as well. From the rules:
Quote:
If a player retires in the NHL he retires at the same time in the CPHL. No buyout is required for retired players UNLESS acquired via UFA BY THAT TEAM in the same season or preceding off-season.

The league holds the sole discretion on whether a player is retired or not, based on the following guidelines.

· A player is deemed retired when its listed via the NHL.com site, other reputable sites (including Wikipedia), or when articles in any newspaper state the player quoting the same.
· As long as a player is active in pro hockey anywhere in the world they are eligible for CPHL play.
· Former NHLers no longer in the NHL should be expected to receive substantial rating decreases in the off-season
· The league reserves the right to rule whether or not a player is eligible for CPHL play based on the information available. GMs should be aware that there is ambiguity in retirement definitions.
· If a player retires at the end of their NHL season, they will be allowed to complete their CPHL season
· If the player retires before the completion of their NHL season then they retire in the CPHL right away

For example. If Gary Roberts announced his retirement tomorrow and stopped playing – he will be retired in the CPHL. If Gary Roberts announced tomorrow he is retiring at the END of his season – he can complete his CPHL season. If Gary Roberts season ends in 2 weeks, and he announces his retirement at that point – he can complete his CPHL season.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2020, 01:09 PM   #42
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
I would add, I think there are actually very few outliers. If you dig into the attributes, you can often pinpoint why someone is lower/higher than they should be. These ratings packages use a mathematical approach. So while they don't share their secret sauce, it theoretically removes human subjectivity. And I think one of the things GMs should be doing, specifically when it comes to contracts and free agents, is evaluating if someone's rating is being boosted by one attribute. You have one player with a 70 and another with a 70 and they can perform very differently base don the attributes. There are good value 70 players and bad value ones. That's part of the game.

Thanks, I started looking at players for roles instead of overall, you might pick up a guy with really good skating and checking and defensive skills, but his offensive tool kit is pretty poor, and it effects his overall, but he could be a good third or fourth liner. Same on the scoring side. A guy with good passing and scoring could be horrendous defensively and checking wise, that guy should in theory put up points, even with a lower overall.

I've tried to work with fit and percentages of attributes for my lines. Who knows if it will work or if I'll outsmart myself. But for example a guy like Tanev has a 98 checking and a 86 defensively but he racked out at a 67 overall mainly because his offensive skills passing and scoring are in the mid 60's. So he could be a pretty good checking presence and put up occasional goals.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 01:54 PM   #43
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by agulati View Post
Thanks for the question, Cheese, and for the response Jiri. Definitely helps clear out the process.

Players wont get re-rated through the season, correct? And if a player retires in the real world, is he required to retire in the league as well?

For instance, if Engelland (69 rating) retires, will I have to get him to retire, or can I use him for the year still, and if Williams (64 rating) retires, can I approach that differently and get him to retire?
Correct, there are no re-rates during the season
If a player retires in the real world (with definitive proof) then they retire in the CPHL. If the player announces they are "retiring at the end of the season" then they are allowed to complete their CPHL season. If they retire effective immediately, they are done immediately in the CPHL.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2020, 04:06 PM   #44
MJK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambam8 View Post
Im fine with the ratings but Panarin ....wasnt expecting a guy like Rust to be rated better, win some and lose some.
Ya the Panarin rating is a really odd one especially is current year stats are heavily favored.
MJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 04:09 PM   #45
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Panarin doesn't have a higher OVR because of a low DF rating: at 57. If that was in the 70s he would be one of the highest rated players in the league (well higher than 22 I guess).
His offensive attributes are one of the highest.
Old 06-01-2020, 04:10 PM   #46
MJK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Right, I get that but how does he get a 57DF rating when he is a +36? That means he is doing something right. Good defense by laying excellent offense?
MJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 04:14 PM   #47
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Yeah Panarin's DF rating is much lower than I would expect. The Rangers allow 3.05 expected goals/60 with him off the ice, and that falls down to 2.75 with him playing.

But no package is perfect.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 04:17 PM   #48
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Jiri’s point is a good one. At least when it comes to my goalie situation. Merzlikins should do fine. He’s rated 83 largely due to his EN and DU rating. His important categories have him in the mix with many of the 2nd and 3rd tier tenders. I’m not going to complain about that.

Similar for Khudobin.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 04:17 PM   #49
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJK View Post
Right, I get that but how does he get a 57DF rating when he is a +36? That means he is doing something right. Good defense by laying excellent offense?
I don't believe ratings packages use plus/minus at all.
Old 06-01-2020, 04:27 PM   #50
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Once grids come out will we move onto RFA re-signing right away?

Old 06-01-2020, 04:27 PM   #51
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

We will probably allow more time since the draft is also upcoming. Normally grids happen after the draft, but we will try to get them at least out there.
Old 06-01-2020, 04:28 PM   #52
Inufie
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Panarin sucks.... Rust is better. LOL sorry had to poke at this
Inufie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Inufie For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2020, 04:31 PM   #53
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Enjoy his RFA contract!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2020, 04:45 PM   #54
savardandjokinen
son of looooob

Exp:

Even if re signing doesn’t happen for a while, I like when grids are out because I’m way more comfortable trading once I know my cap situation
savardandjokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to savardandjokinen For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2020, 07:13 PM   #55
simmer2
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Yeah Panarin's DF rating is much lower than I would expect. The Rangers allow 3.05 expected goals/60 with him off the ice, and that falls down to 2.75 with him playing.

But no package is perfect.
There are other examples of that too...I think it is a consistent blip. Dahlin has a 59DF and a 71OVR rating. Looks like they moved the slider up on PA and down on DF.
simmer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 02:59 PM   #56
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

OK here are the re-rates now with the contract grids!
Our ratings package had very similar ratings distributions, so the grids are VERY similar to what we had last year.
More instructions about RFA re-signing and deadlines are forthcoming. Please do NOT send through your RFA deals until that is posted.

http://cphl.calgarypuck.com/pages/si...tes_Grids.xlsx

Last edited by Jiri Hrdina; 06-03-2020 at 03:04 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2020, 03:01 PM   #57
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

well so much for going to bed early. Thanks for this!

link doesn't work though
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 03:05 PM   #58
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Try now
Old 06-03-2020, 03:17 PM   #59
TurdFerguson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Awesome to see the grids be so inline with last year. I know we should expect them to change every year but it sure helps with planning when they are so consistent. Perhaps a bi-product of using the same 3rd party ratings package.

thanks for getting ratings and grids out so quickly.
Old 06-03-2020, 03:48 PM   #60
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Looking at this:

Sheahan: 1 year, $0.75 million
Caggiula: 2 years, $1.25 million
Labanc: 3 years, $2 million
Nieto: 1 year, $0.75 million
Archibald: 1 year, $0.75 million
Peca: 1 year, $0.75 million
DeMelo: 3 years, $3 million
Pettersson: 3 years, $3.75 million
Englund: 1 year, $0.75 million
Lehner: 3 years, $5.25 million

UFAs:

Francouz: 3 years, $4.25 million
Hunt: 3 years, $2.5 million
Schultz: 3 years, $2.5 million

Based on this I'm likely going to look at releasing one of Hunt or Schultz, perhaps both

My CPHL roster with all my RFAs signed and Moore, Shore, and Sheahan demoted will cost

$69.02 million

Putting me $6.63 million over the cap.