Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-06-2014, 07:09 PM   #1
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:
Default Home Theater Receiver Suggestions

So my old Harmon-Kardon is getting a little long in the tooth, it only has HDMI switching capability for 2 devices and doesn't support HDMI audio, so I'm looking for a new receiver with HDMI switching for at least 5 devices (audio and video). My speaker setup isn't anything fancy, 5.1 Polk Audio, so I don't need something super high-end

Any recommendations in the $300-$400 range?

EDIT: Think I'm leaning towards the Pioneer VSX-824-K since Futureshop has a really good price on it right now

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/produ...a249186f3cen02

Last edited by Hemi-Cuda; 12-06-2014 at 07:17 PM.
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 08:15 AM   #2
cupofjoe
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Pioneer should be good, Denon and Marantz also make good receivers. I would avoid Onkyo, they seem to have many HDMI board failures and quality control issues...

Don
Smile Home Technologies
cupofjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cupofjoe For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2014, 09:21 AM   #3
StrykerSteve
Ass Handler

Exp:

I went with this one and have not regretted it.

http://www.cnet.com/products/sony-str-dn840/
StrykerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to StrykerSteve For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2014, 09:30 AM   #4
Baron von Kriterium
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Home theater receivers these days are more about convenience and versatility than sound quality so figure out which features are important to you and go from there. Here is a list that fits your budget:

Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver RX-V377

Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver RX-V477

Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver RX-S600

Denon AVR-E200

Denon AVR-E300

Marantz NR 1403

I would start with the one that weighs the most. The amps in the majority of HTRs are under-performers so an HTR that has some heft to it indicates a stronger amp/transformer. I would then look to see if the HTR has pre-amp outs in order to hook-up an amp (or amps). If you want to listen to music from CD or whatever, then I recommend a separate amp to drive the mains.

I've read good reviews about the NR1403. It is on sale at FS and I noticed, too, that you can get refurb ones off ebay for $299.00 and free shipping out of Ontario. It has the amp pre out so I'd lean towards it. For 299.00, I may get one.

Also look for Audyssey MultiEq to correct room issues and balance speaker outputs.
The Following User Says Thank You to Baron von Kriterium For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2014, 11:16 AM   #5
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've always been partial to Yamaha receivers.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 11:51 AM   #6
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron von Kriterium View Post
Home theater receivers these days are more about convenience and versatility than sound quality so figure out which features are important to you and go from there. Here is a list that fits your budget:

Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver RX-V377

Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver RX-V477

Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver RX-S600

Denon AVR-E200

Denon AVR-E300

Marantz NR 1403

I would start with the one that weighs the most. The amps in the majority of HTRs are under-performers so an HTR that has some heft to it indicates a stronger amp/transformer. I would then look to see if the HTR has pre-amp outs in order to hook-up an amp (or amps). If you want to listen to music from CD or whatever, then I recommend a separate amp to drive the mains.

I've read good reviews about the NR1403. It is on sale at FS and I noticed, too, that you can get refurb ones off ebay for $299.00 and free shipping out of Ontario. It has the amp pre out so I'd lean towards it. For 299.00, I may get one.

Also look for Audyssey MultiEq to correct room issues and balance speaker outputs.
Did some reading on that Marantz one and think I'll go for it. I don't care about network connectivity, and that one seems to have the best sound quality plus a far smaller profile to boot
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 04:51 PM   #7
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

revamping an old thread...

my house has old(er) school pre-wired speakers in the ceilings.

Looking for receiver suggestions to handle a bunch of speakers (actually upon review, only 2 sets of wire inputs needed). Only other feature I really want is bluetooth which is probably standard these days I'm guessing.

I have no idea where to start. It's an a prominent spot in our living roof so wife (and I, I guess) would be happy if it was visually appealing. I'd prefer for it to be streamlined and not a humongous box, but guess if that's the best choice...

Appreciate any suggestions!

Last edited by cral12; 09-18-2020 at 07:47 PM.
cral12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 10:49 AM   #8
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cral12 View Post
revamping an old thread...

my house has old(er) school pre-wired speakers in the ceilings.

Looking for receiver suggestions to handle a bunch of speakers (actually upon review, only 2 sets of wire inputs needed). Only other feature I really want is bluetooth which is probably standard these days I'm guessing.

I have no idea where to start. It's an a prominent spot in our living roof so wife (and I, I guess) would be happy if it was visually appealing. I'd prefer for it to be streamlined and not a humongous box, but guess if that's the best choice...

Appreciate any suggestions!
I’m going to be looking at this again soon. I’d start with any home automation stuff like Alexa or Apple or whatever your home ecosystem is.

That might eliminate some manufacturers to make it easier.

I’d decide on price range soon in your search. Connecting any tv or other inputs? It’s good to know how many input and outputs needed.

I’ve had good experiences with denon receivers over the years so that’s where I start myself.

We had joy, we had fun, we had a season in the sun, but the wine and the fun like the season is all gone.

Average team is average. Average drafts, average results, average trades, average asset management, average vision, average outcomes. Average.
McG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to McG For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2020, 01:15 PM   #9
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd recommend 'Amp' by Sonos if not for the fact that it's $800 and that Sonos continues to refuse to support Bluetooth connectivity which is one of the things you want.

Honestly, any stereo receiver with Bluetooth support will accomplish what you're looking to do. I am a Denon guy myself, but it's not handling my audio-video so I don't know I'd be too fussy about brand loyalty. For the money and the use case, I'd probably just give something like this a try: https://www.amazon.ca/Moukey-Wireles...dp/B07ZCTZMYP/
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2020, 06:20 PM   #10
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Appreciate it, gents.

I have 8 ceiling speakers (passive, Klipsch I think - probably ~15 yo - still work fine).

I was actually looking at some of the many smaller amps on Amazon. Main question is what would be the minimal stats/specs/stats I should be paying attention to?
(And yes, Sonos amp would be my first choice as like the design, to be honest, but for what I need, feel the price tag too steep - I'm only using for music/audio)

Last edited by cral12; 09-19-2020 at 06:24 PM.
Old 09-19-2020, 07:02 PM   #11
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Considering this one, but oddly cannot find any reviews:
Harman Kardon Adapt + Amp HD Amplifier:
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B08...k_ql_qh_dp_hza

Last edited by cral12; 09-19-2020 at 07:29 PM.
Old 09-19-2020, 07:21 PM   #12
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupofjoe View Post
Pioneer should be good, Denon and Marantz also make good receivers. I would avoid Onkyo, they seem to have many HDMI board failures and quality control issues...

Don
Smile Home Technologies
FYI Onkyo owns Pioneer home entertainment. Personally if you are in the $300-400 range I would look at Sony as they offer the best bang for the buck in this price range.

Edit: I just realized this was an old thread bumped so I assume OP has long moved on for this purchase.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 09-19-2020 at 07:24 PM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post: