Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2020, 06:17 PM   #4721
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

[QUOTE=CaptainCrunch;7371990]Reading that article and the wording of the letter

Indigenous Services Minister Marc Miller sent a letter to three leaders about a protest near Belleville, Ont., that has halted freight and passenger traffic between Toronto and Montreal. He offered to meet at a location of their choice on Saturday.

Quote:
“My request, that I ask you kindly to consider, is to discontinue the protest and barricade of the train tracks as soon as practicable. As you well know, this is a highly volatile situation and the safety of all involved is of the utmost importance to me,” Mr. Miller said in the e-mail posted publicly on Thursday.

“I hope you will agree to this request and that we can meet in the spirit of peace and co-operation that should guide our relationship.”
How pathetic. This sounds like he is down on his knees begging for them to back off. "as soon as practicable" How about saying "immediately"

And then he says "I hope"? How about "We will never be able to meet in the spirit of peace and co-p[eration until these protests are called off".
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 06:24 PM   #4722
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
Feckless politicians have let this fester for almost a week fester for years now now These people do not have public support and the fact the RCMP are cowardly avoiding confrontation just emboldens them.

I think these bridge closures in Vancouver will swing public sentiment against any TMX protests. By the time this round of nonsense is over there won't be a lot of sympathy left.

What you see now is the result of years of appeasement and ignoring a problem that was building in intensity.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 06:31 PM   #4723
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
I don't think the Opposition could get the votes to actually force a confidence vote here. CPC's only likely allies are the BQ, and the BQ are probably just loving watching the federal government stumble around with this issue.

Possibly but when furnaces stop turning off for a lack of propane and gasoline is rationed.

Plus you'd think that the Bloc would rather have the Cons in power, they're less of a threat to their voter base.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 06:34 PM   #4724
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Just curious; what's the solution? I'm pretty firmly on the "arrest any violators" side of things, but I don't want to see things escalate either. I don't want to see them call in the army. While I have no sympathy for the protesters and think the whole things is ridiculous, I do think it's a really complex problem. Maybe I'm too soft though.

Arrest then, charge them, run them through the courts, fine them heavily. If they're on EI or any government program, throw them off of it. If they're students skipping school to take part, cancel their student loans.

Just watching the protests and their fairly strong slant to the non indigenous folk who have no clue of the issues that are being protested.

This is a big experiment for the anti-oil groups. If this works and they wring concessions out of the government, they'll be back in force.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2020, 06:35 PM   #4725
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiracSpike View Post
Most Trudeau line of all time, garbage catch all line to cause the least possible offence even though the time for "dialogue" has long since passed. You're the leader, the most powerful man in a country that's being snarled by this garbage and you're talking like you have no control of the situation. That's a throw away line I would say to my gf about a conflict at she has at work and yet our fearless PM is using it. This kind of soft kids glove language is what contributed to this impasse in the first place. Why is it so hard for him to say unequivocally that dangerously blockading infrastructure to protest a completely legal pipeline is unacceptable and won't be tolerated. PERIOD.
He’s doing what the Liberals have always done. Rope a dope. Let them keep going until there is enough people in vote rich areas that are screaming for help.

He gets to walk in the hero.

Simple as that. He acts swiftly he runs large risk of having Quebec dopes side with these people.

Meanwhile we all suffer just like TMX. It is all politics as usual.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 07:13 PM   #4726
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm right downtown in Vancouver and it's been craziness everywhere now for a few days with the protests. They blocked the west coast express today leaving thousands scrambling to figure out how they're going to get home from work tonight.

An idea by a protestor below that Metro Police responds to.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1227365296706486274

https://twitter.com/user/status/1227421229818138624
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 07:20 PM   #4727
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

jeaze that's not protesting that threats and anarchy.

Old 02-13-2020, 07:23 PM   #4728
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe one will get electrocuted
burn_this_city is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 07:25 PM   #4729
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Reading through that person's twitter feed makes me pray for a huge asteroid to hit this planet. This is an example of a person that should really apologize to her parents for wasting their money on raising and educating her.

Old 02-13-2020, 07:25 PM   #4730
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
jeaze that's not protesting that threats and anarchy.
Why is the government of Canada attempting to appease terrorists?
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2020, 08:42 PM   #4731
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone miss PET right now? He wouldn't stand for this.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 09:08 PM   #4732
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

https://twitter.com/jkenney/status/1228165046582120449

Everyone needs to watch what this FN BC MLA has to say, exactly my feelings except stated way better and by someone with a lot more credibility on this issue than me.

Quote:
"There's a 14 year old aboriginal kid that's taking his first drink of alcohol, he's sucking on his first joint, he's gonna do something, and he's on his way to prison. That's his roadmap. If you save that kid, if you show that kid there's a better future out there, get him into a trade, get him into a course, show him a worksite, and show him there's a better future in terms of getting a house, getting a job, going on vacation, buying a truck, you've done your job. I guarantee you those activists and those politicians that are going to stop the development in your territory they do not care about that 14 year old kid. They do not care. They could care less. They don't care if that kid commits suicide.

Last edited by DiracSpike; 02-13-2020 at 09:28 PM.
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to DiracSpike For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2020, 09:43 PM   #4733
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Anyone miss PET right now? He wouldn't stand for this.

When this started happening our Prime Minister should have aborted his trip to promote a security council chair that nobody cares about and we're probably not going to win to come home and deal with this. Instead its spiraled completely out of control and his responses have been flaccid.

As soon as those railway blockades went up that threatened the country as a whole he should have laid out that this is a rule of law issue. Instead he and his minister have sent out these weak sounding begging to be allowed in their presence letters.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2020, 09:50 PM   #4734
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
That would be an absolute disaster and would totally legitimize what the protestors are doing. People would call it Oka 2.

We need the federal government to come out strongly against the protestors and then get injunctions against the protests and follow up with peaceful arrests.
Meh, it’s what needs to happen no doubt about it. I’d settle for your option too but neither will happen and this could escalate quickly. Moving the armed forces in sends a message that we will defend our economic and societal institutions and we that we have a rule of law that gets followed.

The alternative, what we are witnessing, is weakness and as Captain indicates, communicates to these economic terrorists that they can and will be listened to, feared and tolerated.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2020, 09:16 AM   #4735
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Appeasement.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/tra...kade-1.5463960

Speaking to reporters for the first time since CN Rail announced a massive shutdown of its eastern Canadian network Thursday, Garneau said Ottawa is not prepared to take any action at this point beyond sending cabinet ministers to meet with protesting First Nations

The Ontario Provincial Police has so far refused to move protesters away from the rail lines. The protesters have also dismissed requests from on-reserve Tyendinaga Police to move along voluntarily.

Asked why the government has allowed the southern Ontario rail action to stretch on for over a week, Garneau said Ottawa has been actively engaged on the file.

Old 02-14-2020, 09:19 AM   #4736
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is a very bad federal government. My sweet lord.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2020, 09:40 AM   #4737
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Good god, our federal infrastructure is grinding to a halt and all these guys want to do is call a meeting?

How is this not a federal offence, punishable by jail time? Can I go sit on a railway track if I want to renegotiate my taxes?
Tron_fdc is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Tron_fdc For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2020, 09:43 AM   #4738
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron_fdc View Post
Good god, our federal infrastructure is grinding to a halt and all these guys want to do is call a meeting?

How is this not a federal offence, punishable by jail time? Can I go sit on a railway track if I want to renegotiate my taxes?
Do you self-identify as a visible minority? /s

Spoiler!
Old 02-14-2020, 09:47 AM   #4739
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why aren't the RCMP doing their jobs and removing these people? So now it's ok to break the law and trespass without repercussions? Man, does this ever make the Canadian government look pathetic. Why even have laws when they can be so easily hijacked?
The Yen Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 09:50 AM   #4740
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can't help but feel that this is what Canada voted for. Reap what you sow.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post: