Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2020, 04:54 PM   #4701
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Reading that article and the wording of the letter

Quote:
ndigenous Services Minister Marc Miller sent a letter to three leaders about a protest near Belleville, Ont., that has halted freight and passenger traffic between Toronto and Montreal. He offered to meet at a location of their choice on Saturday.

“My request, that I ask you kindly to consider, is to discontinue the protest and barricade of the train tracks as soon as practicable. As you well know, this is a highly volatile situation and the safety of all involved is of the utmost importance to me,” Mr. Miller said in the e-mail posted publicly on Thursday.

“I hope you will agree to this request and that we can meet in the spirit of peace and co-operation that should guide our relationship.”

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 04:54 PM   #4702
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

They have blocked the West Coast Express this afternoon here in Vancouver. Tens of thousands of commuters potentially stranded. The backlash to this will be so bad if it is allowed to continue.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 04:59 PM   #4703
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Because this is effecting all of Canada the national economy, the right to transport goods across the country, Trudeau can't use that tact, this should be firmly in the hands of the Federal Government period.

Trudeau's weak answer to this correct. And sending envoys out with pleading messages is only going to aggravate things. Watching these protesters talking about their demands, they are taking an all or nothing tact. They know they have us because we're not willing to enforce the law.

Old 02-13-2020, 05:01 PM   #4704
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

This really should trigger an emergency debate in the house, and a possible confidence vote.

Old 02-13-2020, 05:02 PM   #4705
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
This really should trigger an emergency debate in the house, and a possible confidence vote.
I think it's headed that way. The pressure from the provinces, the business community, and finally, voters will move things. With the emerging economic disaster, I am not sure how some of these tactics aren't considered borderline insurgent.
Old 02-13-2020, 05:06 PM   #4706
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
I think it's headed that way. The pressure from the provinces, the business community, and finally, voters will move things. With the emerging economic disaster, I am not sure how some of these tactics aren't considered borderline insurgent.
Because they support what the government actually wants?
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 05:07 PM   #4707
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1228104631454031872

They should have included roads, railways and bridges too.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2020, 05:08 PM   #4708
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
They have blocked the West Coast Express this afternoon here in Vancouver. Tens of thousands of commuters potentially stranded. The backlash to this will be so bad if it is allowed to continue.
Not going to lie, kind of glad this stuff is happening now over Coastal Gas Link so they wear out their welcome for the TMX main event.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2020, 05:12 PM   #4709
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/busine...source=twitter

Quote:
TORONTO -- A major Canadian business group says it's time for the government and police to step in and end the blockade near a major rail line by protesters supporting the Wet'suwet'en hereditary chiefs in their fight to stop a gas pipeline from running through their traditional territory without their approval.

"Until we have rail service resumed, I would say no level of government is fulfilling its duties to help uphold the rule of law and ensure that commerce can flow freely throughout our country," Ryan Greer, senior director of transportation policy for the Canadian Chamber of Commerce, said Thursday on CTV's Your Morning.

Old 02-13-2020, 05:14 PM   #4710
flamesfever
First Line Centre

Exp:

nm

Last edited by flamesfever; 02-13-2020 at 05:57 PM.
flamesfever is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flamesfever For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2020, 05:16 PM   #4711
Regorium
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
https://twitter.com/user/status/1228104631454031872

They should have included roads, railways and bridges too.
Isn't worth the paper it's written on unless the police actually do their jobs.
Regorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 05:17 PM   #4712
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Just curious; what's the solution? I'm pretty firmly on the "arrest any violators" side of things, but I don't want to see things escalate either. I don't want to see them call in the army. While I have no sympathy for the protesters and think the whole things is ridiculous, I do think it's a really complex problem. Maybe I'm too soft though.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 05:27 PM   #4713
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

I think 1,000,000% the army needs to be deployed if the police won’t enforce the court order. This is our country and economic future at stake IMO.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2020, 05:28 PM   #4714
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Just curious; what's the solution? I'm pretty firmly on the "arrest any violators" side of things, but I don't want to see things escalate either. I don't want to see them call in the army. While I have no sympathy for the protesters and think the whole things is ridiculous, I do think it's a really complex problem. Maybe I'm too soft though.
I’d escalate it for sure. Send in the army. Placating these idiots won’t go anywhere.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2020, 05:41 PM   #4715
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
I think 1,000,000% the army needs to be deployed if the police won’t enforce the court order. This is our country and economic future at stake IMO.
That would be an absolute disaster and would totally legitimize what the protestors are doing. People would call it Oka 2.

We need the federal government to come out strongly against the protestors and then get injunctions against the protests and follow up with peaceful arrests.
The Following User Says Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2020, 05:45 PM   #4716
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post

Enforce the law.

By sitting there writing little whimpy notes, like pretty please, and not enforcing the law and the court rulings is just inviting more of this. Wait until we get a full summer of disruption like this or when they disrupt the construction of key infrastructure because mob rule works because we're not willing to enforce the laws.

Backing off isn't going to end these protests its going to encourage them.

Look you have a right to protest, you have a right to free speech, but you don't have the right to break the law.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2020, 05:46 PM   #4717
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Sometimes our country is way too democratic. In 99% of the world, people that do half what these guys do would be labeled terrorists and either arrested or killed. Not saying we need to get violent, but enough is enough. A small group of people shouldn't hold up our economy or block vital transportation access.
_Q_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 05:47 PM   #4718
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think the Opposition could get the votes to actually force a confidence vote here. CPC's only likely allies are the BQ, and the BQ are probably just loving watching the federal government stumble around with this issue.
Old 02-13-2020, 05:49 PM   #4719
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Definitely starting to affect a lot of industries across Canada. We are feeling it too due to the rail delays.

Absolutely pathetic.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Azure For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2020, 06:07 PM   #4720
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Q_ View Post
Sometimes our country is way too democratic. In 99% of the world, people that do half what these guys do would be labeled terrorists and either arrested or killed. Not saying we need to get violent, but enough is enough. A small group of people shouldn't hold up our economy or block vital transportation access.
I think what's going on is actually the opposite of democratic. These protests are violating a properly functioning democratic political and legal system that has already been used to drive decisions around the project. This is nothing more than unlawful anarchy.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Igottago For This Useful Post: