Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Leagues and Games > Calgarypuck Hockey League
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Should we allow teams to exceed ECHL roster limits until after the NHL draft?
Yes 20 86.96%
No 3 13.04%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-23-2020, 07:11 PM   #1
Hanna Sniper
Franchise Player

Exp:
Icon48 ECHL Roster numbers

Will there be any consideration to extending the date that the ECHL roster watchdog wont enforced till after the conclusion of the NHL draft

Be a shame that teams that have traded assets away to rebuild through the draft well now be penalized and forced to cut players before the NHL draft has even taken place.

Old 06-23-2020, 07:28 PM   #2
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah I was thinking about this too, obviously it would be in my best interest so was reluctant to propose.
Vote time!
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 07:48 PM   #3
Tilley
Retired Aksarben Correspondent

Exp:

Is the thought to have no maximum roster limit at all or to allow for an additional 5 or 10 slots, so 20 or 25 maximum roster?

I would be fine with increasing the max roster to 25 due to the unusual circumstances, but an unlimited roster will continue to increase the difference between the prospect rich and poor teams.
Tilley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 07:50 PM   #4
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

My thought was unlimited and then set a deadline for say a month after the nhl draft where it’s back down to 15
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2020, 10:19 PM   #5
Hanna Sniper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilley View Post
Is the thought to have no maximum roster limit at all or to allow for an additional 5 or 10 slots, so 20 or 25 maximum roster?

I would be fine with increasing the max roster to 25 due to the unusual circumstances, but an unlimited roster will continue to increase the difference between the prospect rich and poor teams.
Just to be clear, I'm not asking to change the actual roster limit, but rather the timing of the final cuts down to 15

Right now there is all likelihood that we start our season before the NHL holds their Draft. If that the case, we will be cutting our ECHL down to 15 before the NHL draft

So that 3rd round player we protected may actually not get drafted in the NHL, and those two 5th round picks we released were drafted by the Flames.

Even if it's just a 24 hour limit, just so that we are able to see where the players we drafted actually end up in the NHL draft, before we make the decision to protect or cut them. Rather than making the decision before we know if they were drafted or not
Old 06-24-2020, 08:12 AM   #6
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

My thoughts, teams should be able to exceed the limits until the watch dog is re-activated.
flambers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 06:23 PM   #7
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ok will this is pretty definitive
We will establish a deadline when the nhl schedules the draft
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2020, 10:02 AM   #8
3thirty
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

With the ECHL limits removed due to the draft delay, wondering what GM's think about the AHL roster limits and overagers?

Reason I ask is I signed 4-5 draft overagers and if they don't get a decent draft slot I'd normally cut them, just as you would with the excess ECHLers after the NHL draft.

It's not really any different IMO if we are talking about draft overagers, not entire AHL rosters, that we use their NHL draft value to factor in to keeping or not.

Someone being proactive and signing them in the offseason before the draft and then cutting ones that aren't drafted isn't any different than drafting 20 guys and cutting the ones who don't go high in the NHL draft IMO

Thoughts?
3thirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 10:29 AM   #9
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3thirty View Post
With the ECHL limits removed due to the draft delay, wondering what GM's think about the AHL roster limits and overagers?

Reason I ask is I signed 4-5 draft overagers and if they don't get a decent draft slot I'd normally cut them, just as you would with the excess ECHLers after the NHL draft.

It's not really any different IMO if we are talking about draft overagers, not entire AHL rosters, that we use their NHL draft value to factor in to keeping or not.

Someone being proactive and signing them in the offseason before the draft and then cutting ones that aren't drafted isn't any different than drafting 20 guys and cutting the ones who don't go high in the NHL draft IMO

Thoughts?

I think we should reduce the AHL roster limit to 15!
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 10:39 AM   #10
simmer2
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3thirty View Post

Thoughts?
It's a good question. The implications of doing an unlimited roster for the AHL until the NHL draft has a broader impact than just the specific case of overagers. It would allow GM's to take advantage of the extra roster space, using the NHL draft as a bit of an excuse.

Without thinking through things too much, it might be worth considering having those specific overagers moved to the ECHL for now, having those guys frozen (ie can't be traded), then when the draft comes, they move back to the AHL and the team has to make a decision as to whether to keep them or cut them.

The challenge for the CPHL team is we would be in the middle of the season and it would mean potentially having to make a bunch of moves around that time...but I think this might be the simplest way to deal with this?

Just putting a thought out there...don't know if it is right or not.
simmer2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 10:41 AM   #11
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

It might be a good idea although it will sting a little. I've been cutting guys from my CPHL team to get to 24 and be ready for the season to start.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 11:05 AM   #12
Hanna Sniper
Franchise Player

Exp:

How are they similar? Are you out assets making trades to acquire those guys you signed

Edited
I think I have 4 guys I signed BTW, I guess my decision has been delayed about making that.. I guess thats what you mean by the same, where I was seeing the assets lost to acquire the picks as the original issue

Last edited by Hanna Sniper; 07-01-2020 at 11:13 AM.
Hanna Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 12:45 PM   #13
3thirty
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

My thoughts were just overagers in the AHL would be exempt. Either stashed in echl or some way of tracking. I had cut a few guys or traded already and then thought about this after the echl exemption.
Old 07-01-2020, 12:55 PM   #14
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanna Sniper View Post
How are they similar? Are you out assets making trades to acquire those guys you signed

Edited
I think I have 4 guys I signed BTW, I guess my decision has been delayed about making that.. I guess thats what you mean by the same, where I was seeing the assets lost to acquire the picks as the original issue
I think that's where I see the difference. GMs spent assets to acquire picks, so having to making that decision absent the NHL results seems like a double whammy.
GMs can choose how many AHLers they sign, and therefore are more in control of that.
To me though, it will be hard to track if we try to get more narrow. Either we allow AHL rosters to be exceeded or we don't. I'd like to avoid something more complicated than that.
Old 07-01-2020, 02:53 PM   #15
3thirty
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

But when overage AHL guys were signed, no one knew that the draft would be pushed to as late as it was.

It's still a move that is impacted by the NHL moving the draft so shouldn't it get similar treatment?
You do the research and beat other gm's to the punch, and value is obtained/lost on draft day.
I see the cost of acquiring picks argument, although to be fair a lot of the excess are 4th and 5th rounders in the hope you strike gold in the draft IMO.
The Following User Says Thank You to 3thirty For This Useful Post: