Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2020, 10:42 AM   #601
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Solo was awesome. I do not understand why people didn't like it.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wastedyouth For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2020, 10:45 AM   #602
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post
My only real gripe with Solo was that it was too damned dark.

Not in tone or theme, I mean the movie itself was too damned dark to really see anything. Such a simple thing.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2020, 11:19 AM   #603
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Next animated Star Wars series for Disney+ will be based off of the Bad Batch, introduced in the last season of clone wars.

Quote:
The series follows the elite and experimental clones of the Bad Batch (first introduced in The Clone Wars) as they find their way in a rapidly changing galaxy in the immediate aftermath of the Clone War. Members of Bad Batch — a unique squad of clones who vary genetically from their brothers in the Clone Army — each possess a singular exceptional skill, which makes them extraordinarily effective soldiers and a formidable crew. In the post-Clone War era, they will take on daring mercenary missions as they struggle to stay afloat and find new purpose.
https://www.starwars.com/news/star-w...eries-announce

Filoni will produce the series. I found them to be a little hokey... like a 90s action film type cast. But then I remembered I love 90s action films. Also any additional animated stat wars is great. Especially with what they did with the last season of clone wars. This new series will debut sometime in 2021.
Old 07-13-2020, 11:25 AM   #604
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The last 30 minutes or so was pretty weak, with the whole double triple cross thing going on. And the train chase, of course. I also felt a better writer could have handled the card game better. I'm not sure the movie justified it's existence.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 11:38 AM   #605
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
Next animated Star Wars series for Disney+ will be based off of the Bad Batch, introduced in the last season of clone wars.

https://www.starwars.com/news/star-w...eries-announce

Filoni will produce the series. I found them to be a little hokey... like a 90s action film type cast. But then I remembered I love 90s action films. Also any additional animated stat wars is great. Especially with what they did with the last season of clone wars. This new series will debut sometime in 2021.

Could be interesting, since its always the question of whether the Bad Batch was accidental or on purpose in terms of genetic play. How were they treated when they came out of the tubes, because for the most part either the defective clones were shuffled off to non combat roles, or just euthanized and recycled.

I was let down by Resittance which was dull and maybe didn't understand its audience, but the last season of Clone Wars revitalized the Animated Star Wars universe and there's still talk that there is work being done on a new season of Rebels focused on Sabine and Ashoka trying to find Snoke errr Ezra.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 12:13 PM   #606
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

The Bad Batch sounds a lot like Wraith Squadron, which would at least be more interesting because it wasn't just a bunch of human characters.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 12:21 PM   #607
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post

Not in tone or theme, I mean the movie itself was too damned dark to really see anything. Such a simple thing.
I believe it's the nature of going with a natural lighting look. I'm not a fan of this style but I can't say it bothered me as much as it may have others.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 12:23 PM   #608
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:

It seems that most movies have gone to a darker environment, maybe that's to hide the flaws in CGI.

I think the only movie that went the opposite way was Alien Convenent, when we suddenly had Aliens running around in clear day light and lit environments and it somehow made them a lot less terrifying.

Old 07-13-2020, 01:51 PM   #609
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I loved it too. Last time I watched it I was tyigg to figure out what I missed that I liked it and many other people hated it. I couldn't figure it out.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 02:12 PM   #610
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Really liked the beginning. Then it quickly descended into a generic CGI fest and throws the plot out the window. Overall, it just didn't seem like it was created by people who love the source material, which really shines through in good Star Wars content, like the Mandalorian.

Edit: I don't think Solo was actively bad in the way that the Last Jedi was. There were just large sections where I was straight up bored and wondering what does this add and why they even bothered to make the movie.

Last edited by blankall; 07-13-2020 at 02:26 PM.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 02:30 PM   #611
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like the bad batch, but I'm really starting to miss the Jedi.

Resistance, Mandalorian, and now this, are all lacking jedi characters.

For this reason, the High Republic is the most interesting to me.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 02:32 PM   #612
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post

I'm actually glad.

Its a big Galaxy and there are more out there than just Jedi.

Besides, I found the pseudo Deus-ex-machina of 'Magicking' your way out of problems and situations was becoming tiresome.

The Jedi are interesting, but just keep them in small doses.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 07-13-2020, 02:53 PM   #613
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm actually glad.

Besides, I found the pseudo Deus-ex-machina of 'Magicking' your way out of problems and situations was becoming tiresome.

That seems to be the path they're taking.

Resistance still had Eila. Mandalorian will have some Ahsoka. I wouldn't be surprised if this Bad Batch series has some Ahsoka or Quinlan Vos. I doubt we see Cal Kestis, since this takes place slightly before Fallen Order. If Kanan Jarrus appears it will probably just be a cameo/easter egg.
Old 07-13-2020, 02:56 PM   #614
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That seems to be the path they're taking.

Resistance still had Eila. Mandalorian will have some Ahsoka. I wouldn't be surprised if this Bad Batch series has some Ahsoka or Quinlan Vos. I doubt we see Cal Kestis, since this takes place slightly before Fallen Order. If Kanan Jarrus appears it will probably just be a cameo/easter egg.
Yes. Them.

Whoever they are.

Old 07-13-2020, 04:01 PM   #615
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:

Mandalorian is based around a clone of Yoda (or at least it seems to be), who's used his force power multiple times. I know that the child is just a powerful force user with good intentions and not actually a Jedi, but it comes across as the same as how Luke was a Jedi in the OT.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 04:07 PM   #616
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Mandalorian is based around a clone of Yoda (or at least it seems to be), who's used his force power multiple times. I know that the child is just a powerful force user with good intentions and not actually a Jedi, but it comes across as the same as how Luke was a Jedi in the OT.
Good point.
And I'd argue that Baby Yoda is one of the most interesting parts of the show.
But I don't see Baby Yoda being a big part of the plot past season 2.
Old 07-13-2020, 04:11 PM   #617
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
I'm actually glad.

In a galaxy of trillions of lives, there were something like 10,000 Jedi at the height of their powers. The question was how Palpatine so quickly erased them from history, it was probably pretty easy, a lot of worlds probably had never seen a Jedi, so they became creatures of lore.

It would have made it pretty easy for Palpatine to villify them in history as well.

I'm still feeling that Chirrut in Rogue One was a Jedi. .

Quote:
Cassian, evidently, had other things on his mind. He watched Chirrut’s partner. “Is he Jedi?” he asked, with the hushed doubt of a man on the verge of a great discovery.
“No Jedi anymore,” Chirrut’s partner said. “Only dreamers like this fool.” Chirrut shrugged mildly. “The Force did protect me.”

There can be a lot of meaning behind that line, especially a blind clearly force sensitive who has some training.

Old 07-14-2020, 06:56 AM   #618
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
I loved it too. Last time I watched it I was tyigg to figure out what I missed that I liked it and many other people hated it. I couldn't figure it out.
It was much better than I was expecting and IMO it was a victim of bad timing as the TLJ stink was omnipresent.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2020, 07:52 AM   #619
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I found the attempt to explain the origin of every single piece of Solo lore to be supremely irritating. Han’s last name, Chewbacca’s nickname, the Kessel Run, his signature blaster, why he shoots first, the distinctive shape of the Falcon, his gambling prowess, his soft spot for rebels...it just goes on and on. It’s like everything we know about this character was determined in the short time span of him hanging out with Woody Harrelson. Even if it was successful enough for a sequel, what do they even have left to develop.

But that’s just me, and I probably also went into it super jaded after TLJ, like many others. Maybe it deserves a rewatch cause I haven’t given it a second look since its initial release.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2020, 08:16 AM   #620
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Season 2 of Mandalorian has been confirmed for an October release as well. I know that there was never any news of a delay, but figured with everything else being announced as a delay it was nice to see this still confirmed. Filming has wrapped and it is currently in post production.

Nice to have something concrete to look forward to for what could very likely be quarantine phase 2.