Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2024, 04:17 PM   #1861
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samonadreau View Post
No they haven't.

They haven't had a 1st round pick since 2021. And that was 10thOA.

Their first puck last year was in the 4th round.
That's what he's saying.

Sens traded their 2023 1st (ended up being 12th overall) for Chychrun.
Sens traded their 2022 1st (ended up being 7th overall) for Debrincat.

I sure hope the Flames don't do stupid #### like this to expedite this rebuild.

Last edited by Roof-Daddy; 04-24-2024 at 04:21 PM.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2024, 05:05 PM   #1862
Major Major
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stemit14 View Post
True. The hope is that they are desperate to improve right now as it’s unlikely the player they pick at 7 will be at Andersson’s level until at least 3-4 years from now. Brady Tkachuk only has 4 years left on his deal… that might be enough of a pressure point to make them make a move to improve for the short term.
Nevermind the potential for a Brady trade request, if they don't improve in the near term, they will be giving up a lottery pick. It's a situation they will avoid at any cost I'd imagine.

The easiest way to start shaking things loose in Ottawa is with Weegar... But I'd much rather do Andersson.
Major Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2024, 07:15 PM   #1863
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samonadreau View Post
No they haven't.

They haven't had a 1st round pick since 2021. And that was 10thOA.

Their first puck last year was in the 4th round.

Edit: unless you meant they've been tradings 1sts for a while now. In that case yes, you're right.
This would be the biggest reason that I don’t think the trade I proposed will work. I don’t think their prospect cupboard is very good despite missing the playoffs year after year so they might be very reluctant to trade a first round pick again. Especially a pick as high as 7th overall.

I could see Ottawa desperately wanting Andersson… but only willing to discuss their 2025 (lottery-protected) first round pick in the trade. In that case though, the flames could trade with virtually any team and get a protected first round pick in 2025 for Andersson. Ottawa would not likely be able to out-bid other teams in that scenario. It’s their high pick in the 2024 draft that would make them a front runner in a bid to get Andersson.
stemit14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2024, 07:30 PM   #1864
HitterD
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
This would be the biggest reason that I don’t think the trade I proposed will work. I don’t think their prospect cupboard is very good despite missing the playoffs year after year so they might be very reluctant to trade a first round pick again. Especially a pick as high as 7th overall.

I could see Ottawa desperately wanting Andersson… but only willing to discuss their 2025 (lottery-protected) first round pick in the trade. In that case though, the flames could trade with virtually any team and get a protected first round pick in 2025 for Andersson. Ottawa would not likely be able to out-bid other teams in that scenario. It’s their high pick in the 2024 draft that would make them a front runner in a bid to get Andersson.
Doesn’t Ottawa still need to give up a first for the Dadanov debacle as well? I’d be very surprised if they trade any 1sts for quite some time.

I think Buffalo might be the best target to gain another 1st
HitterD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2024, 08:18 PM   #1865
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HitterD View Post
Doesn’t Ottawa still need to give up a first for the Dadanov debacle as well? I’d be very surprised if they trade any 1sts for quite some time.

I think Buffalo might be the best target to gain another 1st
Yeah. Buffalo could be a good fit. They have the best collection of prospects in the league so it’s not like they need a first round pick in this draft for their system. They are more desperate than almost any non-playoff team in the league to make the playoffs next season. It’s an 11th overall pick (pre-lottery). They could use a good, veteran right-handed defenceman. This could, on paper at least, give them the most talented defence in the league.

To Buffalo:
Andersson

To Calgary:
Buffalo’s 2024 1st round pick (11th overall)
Buffalo’s 2025 2nd round pick (becomes a 1st round pick if Buffalo makes the playoffs)
Buffalo’s 2024 3rd round pick

If Calgary could make this trade before draft day, they could potentially combine Buffalo’s 1st round pick with Vancouver’s 1st round pick to move up into the top 8 of the draft.
The Following User Says Thank You to stemit14 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2024, 08:27 PM   #1866
traptor
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
That's what he's saying.

I hope the flames can find someone to take advantage of on the other end though!
traptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2024, 11:02 PM   #1867
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
That's what he's saying.

Ya I realized that. I think I added my edit the second after your post.
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 05:56 AM   #1868
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah. Buffalo could be a good fit. They have the best collection of prospects in the league so it’s not like they need a first round pick in this draft for their system. They are more desperate than almost any non-playoff team in the league to make the playoffs next season. It’s an 11th overall pick (pre-lottery). They could use a good, veteran right-handed defenceman. This could, on paper at least, give them the most talented defence in the league.

To Buffalo:
Andersson

To Calgary:
Buffalo’s 2025 2nd round pick (becomes a 1st round pick if Buffalo makes the playoffs)

If Calgary could make this trade before draft day, they could potentially combine Buffalo’s 1st round pick with Vancouver’s 1st round pick to move up into the top 8 of the draft.
Firstly, Andersson would be at best Buffalo’s 4th best dman, so I simply don’t see the desperation.

Trading for pick #11 would be a dream come true for the Flames, but you are also hoping for an additional 1st round pick and a 2nd
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2024, 08:57 AM   #1869
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
Firstly, Andersson would be at best Buffalo’s 4th best dman, so I simply don’t see the desperation.

Trading for pick #11 would be a dream come true for the Flames, but you are also hoping for an additional 1st round pick and a 2nd
You’re probably right. Potentially getting two first round picks might be a little steep. So if I removed that conditional 2nd/1st round pick:

To Buffalo:
Andersson

To Calgary:
Old 04-25-2024, 10:05 AM   #1870
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You’re probably right. Potentially getting two first round picks might be a little steep. So if I removed that conditional 2nd/1st round pick:

To Buffalo:
Andersson

To Calgary:
Why would Calgary make this trade? The Flames already have a poor lineup on the blueline and removing a player like Andersson would certainly give them a minor league level group of defenders. Sure, they get another 1st round pick, but you're hoping that first round pick turns into an Andersson in three to five years. You think the last 20 games of the season was bad, remove another top four defenseman from than group and think about how bad it would be? I don't see the Flames moving another blueliner until they know they have a replacement in the fold.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2024, 10:12 AM   #1871
BrownDrake
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Some people just aren't listening to what management is saying. I wouldn't mistake the trades that Connie made over the past season as rebuilding because we only got picks back and projects, trades at the deadline are made with teams adding and not subtracting.

This team will not be taking the San Jose approach its taking the Dallas approach, there will be no tanking here, you can argue with the approach but the tear down likely isn't happening unless the Kadri's, Andersson's and Weegar's ask for trades en masse. Its a 2-3 year retool where we will be competitive and who knows we maybe even sneak in to the playoffs once over that period.
BrownDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BrownDrake For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2024, 10:29 AM   #1872
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny_McDonald View Post
Why would Calgary make this trade? The Flames already have a poor lineup on the blueline and removing a player like Andersson would certainly give them a minor league level group of defenders. Sure, they get another 1st round pick, but you're hoping that first round pick turns into an Andersson in three to five years. You think the last 20 games of the season was bad, remove another top four defenseman from than group and think about how bad it would be? I don't see the Flames moving another blueliner until they know they have a replacement in the fold.
I agree with you, but I think it comes down as always to different assessments of players and also different predictions (hopes, might be more accurate) of what the Flames will do. I'm a big Andersson fan, so my take could be skewed, but as you said, making a move like that means we're hoping the pick will turn into an Andersson in 3-5 years, which is a Top 4 defenceman on the ice and off the ice, a guy with swagger and a proven leader on the team that players look to for guidance. Many on CP though seem to be down on Andersson and likely see him as a 4/5 guy, and if that's how they see him, then yeah, I can see why they want to move him. I just don't see how a current D group of Weegar-Miro, Kylington-Andersson, Solovyov-Pachal would be about the same when you remove Andersson, but I think others may feel that it wouldn't be much different.

Then there's the prediction/hoping part of it all. I'm basing my guess on the kinds of moves we'll see on things I've heard from Conroy, Huska and even hints from Steinberg. Conroy does not want to bottom out and as you've suggested, removing Andersson from the D group would accelerate that. Conroy has said that it's important for the Flames to not sow a losing culture on the team for multiple years and I also believe that removing Andersson would do that due to everything I mentioned before. My guess is that maybe the posters who are advocating these kinds of trades don't view the quality of the player the same way (in a signficant way) and they also don't believe that Conroy and others in the organization are being truthful when they said the things they've said over the last calendar year. Time will tell!

Last edited by activeStick; 04-25-2024 at 10:33 AM.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 10:38 AM   #1873
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Because that Andersson in 3-5 years is worth a who lot more that signing Andersson to big money when he’s over 30.

Plus, this pick would get you a really good dman who is likely playing in a year.

Andersson is likely Flame for two years tops. Cash in while you can.
Old 04-25-2024, 10:58 AM   #1874
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Timing of Andersson's next contract. Do you want to commit to him for 8 years in two years? I am not sure I do.
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bonded For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2024, 11:06 AM   #1875
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownDrake View Post
Some people just aren't listening to what management is saying. I wouldn't mistake the trades that Connie made over the past season as rebuilding because we only got picks back and projects, trades at the deadline are made with teams adding and not subtracting.

This team will not be taking the San Jose approach its taking the Dallas approach, there will be no tanking here, you can argue with the approach but the tear down likely isn't happening unless the Kadri's, Andersson's and Weegar's ask for trades en masse. Its a 2-3 year retool where we will be competitive and who knows we maybe even sneak in to the playoffs once over that period.
It’s a 2-3 year retool followed by a 5+ year rebuild when the retool fails.
Old 04-25-2024, 11:33 AM   #1876
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Because that Andersson in 3-5 years is worth a who lot more that signing Andersson to big money when he’s over 30.
And what happens when that Andersson doesn't turn into an Andersson and ends up being more of a Valimaki or an Juolevi? Then what? Trading away a player that is core to the success of the team without having a replacement in the mix is a sure way to fail. Doing so for the promise of a player you haven't even drafted yet is just a disaster waiting to happen.

Quote:
Plus, this pick would get you a really good dman who is likely playing in a year.
Playing in a year? On a team without any veteran depth or leadership to help develop that player? Are we looking to follow the Buffalo Sabres model now? I doubt you see more than a handful of players from this draft make the NHL next season or in another year. It's defender heavy and defensemen take more time to grow into the game than other players for a reason. If the Flames rushed the kid into the lineup it would only be to ruin him based on the talent that is likely to surround him. You want to bring in talented young players and have them ride shotgun with the likes of Andersson, not thrust them into the void and see of they survive.

Quote:
Andersson is likely Flame for two years tops. Cash in while you can.
Better start trading every player with two years left on their contract then and become a true bottom feeder that is a development team for all the American teams. Hey, they are some hoping we are entering another Young Guns era after all!
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 12:06 PM   #1877
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, I don't understand the logic with bringing up Andersson. Why trade a player before you are even allowed to talk to him about an extension. At least give the management team the opportunity to get a feel of the ask and see if it plays into their plan. Conroy did just fine with the pending UFAs.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 12:11 PM   #1878
browntrout
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownDrake View Post

There are some very optimistic fans here, if the Dallas model is so successful, why aren't more teams doing it?

I would be very interested in a poll " which year will the flames make the playoffs again"
browntrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 12:17 PM   #1879
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
And what happens when that Andersson doesn't turn into an Andersson and ends up being more of a Valimaki or an Juolevi? Then what? Trading away a player that is core to the success of the team without having a replacement in the mix is a sure way to fail. Doing so for the promise of a player you haven't even drafted yet is just a disaster waiting to happen.

Playing in a year? On a team without any veteran depth or leadership to help develop that player? Are we looking to follow the Buffalo Sabres model now? I doubt you see more than a handful of players from this draft make the NHL next season or in another year. It's defender heavy and defensemen take more time to grow into the game than other players for a reason. If the Flames rushed the kid into the lineup it would only be to ruin him based on the talent that is likely to surround him. You want to bring in talented young players and have them ride shotgun with the likes of Andersson, not thrust them into the void and see of they survive.

Better start trading every player with two years left on their contract then and become a true bottom feeder that is a development team for all the American teams. Hey, they are some hoping we are entering another Young Guns era after all!
Calgary isn't contending for anything in the next two years, people need to accept that.

Unless you are preparing to sign him to a long extension in 2 years (which would be foolish), you sell him while you can for the great return.
Old 04-25-2024, 12:24 PM   #1880
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Calgary isn't contending for anything in the next two years, people need to accept that.

Unless you are preparing to sign him to a long extension in 2 years (which would be foolish), you sell him while you can for the great return.
The return may be greater in two years though. If a great deal comes along now, sure. But there seems to be a rush to sell everyone all at once.

Maybe let Kylington grow another year before you leave the D with one veteran leader.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
devils suck , e=ng , edmonton is no good , nj is no good