Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-27-2013, 04:05 PM   #61
Hatter
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I have a feeling my 2 or 3 game beers may turn into 8 or 9. The Hawks are awesome.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hatter For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2013, 04:31 PM   #62
thefoss1957
#1 Goaltender

Location: Chicago Native relocated to the stinking desert of Utah
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatter View Post
I have a feeling my 2 or 3 game beers may turn into 8 or 9. The Hawks are awesome.
Agree that the 'Hawks have a very entertaining style of play, even on the road...but...I smell a "trap" game. Game five of a 7 game road trip, and meaning no disrespect to your guys, the Flames don't seem to engender a competitive fire, the way some rivals (Wings, Blues, Wild (and North Stars before them)) do. Can't say that the 'Hawks have to make a "statement game" to a potential playoff foe, and with travel and holiday tomorrow, I don't think the 'Hawks will bring their best intensity to the game. The 'Hawks really didn't test Berra in the first meeting, and, frankly, seemed flat. I expect a similar effort tonight. Perhaps they clamp down a little, defensively, for Raanta, but, in Khabibulin's two starts against Eastern teams that also didn't engender much emotion by my guys, the way I anticipate tonight, the D was as flat as the overall effort.

Happily, for me, I am covering day shifts for this holiday week, instead of the usual nights, so I will be able to watch the game in real time, and also be able to hang in the game thread. I always enjoy discussing hockey with you fine Flame fans...passionate, realistic (mostly), informed, and good sports (again, mostly). And wish your team good luck against my beloved squad...
Old 11-27-2013, 04:38 PM   #63
J epworth
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Fool View Post
Raanta was more of a mature signing like Berra and Rämö, so if anything the comparison should be to them rather than Ortio. If you must compare.
Fair enough. Just remember a lot of debate between the two last spring during the world championships. It's not like Raanta is an old fart, he's 24 years old, compared to 22 for Ortio. Actually right in between Ortio and Berra, so for maturity he can be compared to either of them, while I would still probably look to Ortio as a more apt comparison, as Raanta was more of a later bloomer in net (never was drafted). Remember watching the Finland games last spring and not noticing too much difference in their styles, so I thought it was an apt comparison, but you would know more, you're actually in Finland right? Or used to be?
Old 11-27-2013, 04:46 PM   #64
Henry Fool
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J epworth kendal View Post
Fair enough. Just remember a lot of debate between the two last spring during the world championships. It's not like Raanta is an old fart, he's 24 years old, compared to 22 for Ortio. Actually right in between Ortio and Berra, so for maturity he can be compared to either of them, while I would still probably look to Ortio as a more apt comparison, as Raanta was more of a later bloomer in net (never was drafted). Remember watching the Finland games last spring and not noticing too much difference in their styles, so I thought it was an apt comparison, but you would know more, you're actually in Finland right? Or used to be?
I don't remember him that well to be honest. Raanta is smaller and doesn't have the physical talent that Ortio does. Economical, doesn't overplay. Seems like a guy who can play tight games with little margin for error, but I'm not sure what happens when the game opens up. Does he have an extra gear for higher level of competition? Raanta absolutely dominated Finland last year, but you never know how someone's game translates to the NHL.

Ortio I see as a traditional prospect with lots of talent and room to improve. I'm sure Raanta isn't done developing but I see him more in the Rämö-Berra group. No question Raanta was better season as he was the MVP of the league for the entire year.
Old 11-27-2013, 05:06 PM   #65
Igster
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

TSN - not many broadcasts left...no Ferraro...vs WGN which I never get to watch....

Decisions...decisions...
Old 11-27-2013, 05:16 PM   #66
EYE_Overstand
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igster View Post
TSN - not many broadcasts left...no Ferraro...vs WGN which I never get to watch....

Decisions...decisions...
i hate him
Old 11-27-2013, 05:20 PM   #67
Igster
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Yup...me too.

Call him rain man because he repeats himself constantly...
Old 11-27-2013, 05:33 PM   #68
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Another one of those 'expect the worst, hoping for the best' kind of games. I thought they'd get destroyed last time and they won, so who knows, but if I was guessing I'd say it will be 6-1 Hawks.
Old 11-27-2013, 05:35 PM   #69
kingkahuna
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Luca ####i
Old 11-27-2013, 05:37 PM   #70
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

One thing I can say with certainty about tonight: Come out strong or be trampled.
Old 11-27-2013, 05:47 PM   #71
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm willing to bet it might end up being "come out strong AND be trampled" for that matter. When you watch the Hawks play, it's pretty clear that they're a top team in this league. Again, I really don't care about the score because I just wanna see some of our guys play well (Sven-Monahan-Hudler) but just getting a chance to watch the Hawks play is going to be fun.
Old 11-27-2013, 06:09 PM   #72
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I don't get the whole "at least watching that team will be fun" mentality. Maybe they're fun to watch when they're up against the Canucks, but I take little pleasure out of watching them beat our team, even from a pure hockey standpoint. If they score on a great play, my first reaction isn't "oh well that was awesome!".. it's usually quite the opposite.

But we could come out strong and still lose. That's very true. But we most certainly will lose if they don't hit the ground running tonight.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2013, 06:12 PM   #73
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

During a rebuild, you need to lower your expectations and learn to just enjoy the game. The Flames won't be good this year and probably next year either. I'm going to find what little joy I can out of any bright spots from the Flames. As a hockey fan, I like to see good plays. I don't hate the hawks, they are talented and when I watch Toes, I think of what Monahan could become and it's fun. I enjoy hockey, plain and simple.
Old 11-27-2013, 06:20 PM   #74
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
During a rebuild, you need to lower your expectations and learn to just enjoy the game. The Flames won't be good this year and probably next year either. I'm going to find what little joy I can out of any bright spots from the Flames. As a hockey fan, I like to see good plays. I don't hate the hawks, they are talented and when I watch Toes, I think of what Monahan could become and it's fun. I enjoy hockey, plain and simple.
My expectations are low, but I still get frustrated when we lose. Try as I might, I can't shut it off
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Street Pharmacist For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2013, 06:24 PM   #75
Trailer Fire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirant View Post
Cal Clutterbuck
Fat Balloon Pat Falloon (Fine. He's not in the NHL, but that's still my favourite)

EDIT - Kane Lafranchise, call up by the Heat, also stands out as pretty awesome.
Granted he never played in the NHL, but Tore Vikingstad was a fantastic name. By far my favorite.
Old 11-27-2013, 08:07 PM   #76
lifetimefan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
My expectations are low, but I still get frustrated when we lose. Try as I might, I can't shut it off
It's nice when they win, but a bit of a luxury.
I get frustrated when the Flames don't try, don't skate, and when Hartley makes a few dozen "WTF?" decision in a game.
Closed Thread

Tags
gtd , winwinwinwinwin , winwinwinwinwinwin , winwinwinwinwinwinwin , winwinwinwinwinwinwinwin