Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: If you could vote on Super Tuesday who would you vote for?
Joe Biden 35 16.43%
Michael Bloomberg 14 6.57%
Pete Buttigieg 18 8.45%
Amy Klobucher 9 4.23%
Bernie Sanders 102 47.89%
Elizabeth Warren 23 10.80%
Other 12 5.63%
Voters: 213. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-06-2020, 11:19 AM   #781
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I tried listening to Elizabeth Warren last night. Never again.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 11:27 AM   #782
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Wow.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1225479776162312193

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 11:56 AM   #783
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Personally, I think Sanders not being a member of the Democratic party and being able to answer the question "what have you done for the party" with "not much" is a huge selling point. Party loyalty isn't a virtue. Him having to run under the Democrat banner is an indictment of the political status quo, not of him.

There are many things that can be legitimate concerns with Sanders. That sure isn't one of them.
I don't disagree with that. And hopefully my disdain for Bernie didn't conflate with why I don't want him to win.

I just bring it up because I am so sick of all this conspiracy crap from his campaign and followers. (as evidenced in girlys post right above this)
dobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dobbles For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2020, 12:02 PM   #784
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

How much nefarious crap over the course of two separate primary processes does it take to convince you that there's some fire behind this smoke? It's not a conspiracy theory that they screwed the guy in 2016, it's well accepted. It is equally unsurprising that the scales are being tilted this time as well.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 12:10 PM   #785
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well if nothing else this should be the death blow to caucuses which is good at least.
Old 02-06-2020, 12:16 PM   #786
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
How much nefarious crap over the course of two separate primary processes does it take to convince you that there's some fire behind this smoke? It's not a conspiracy theory that they screwed the guy in 2016, it's well accepted. It is equally unsurprising that the scales are being tilted this time as well.
Sure they played dirty in 2016. But the only real issues I recall were that party leaders were covertly supportive of Clinton when they really should have stayed neutral. The superdelegates to me are a non-starter. That gets back to my rant. If Bernie wanted more superdelegates, then he should have spent more time as a party member earning the loyalty of those delegates. Its been a while, so if there was better evidence that I am forgetting, please refresh my memory. But if we are just going off that email leak where people privately dissed him, sorry if that doesn't reek of grand conspiracy to me.

And everything I have seen from this week just indicates Iowa was a giant mess and everyone there should resign. Perhaps they are all playing dumb, but it looks more like ineptitude than conspiracy.
dobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dobbles For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2020, 12:18 PM   #787
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob-loblaw View Post
I'd love to see Bernie take the nomination. He's the one with so much passion for everything. Plus, he'd tear Trump apart from limb to limb in the debates.
Shouldn't this be in green text?
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 12:39 PM   #788
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
Shouldn't this be in green text?
Which part do you disagree with? If you don’t like Bernie or his policies that’s your chcoice but it doesn’t take anything away from his character or abilities.
iggy_oi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 12:55 PM   #789
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ark2 View Post
Despite the what the top marginal tax rates were in the past, top income earners weren't paying much more back then than they are now.

https://taxfoundation.org/taxes-on-t...950s-not-high/
There were also WAY less super rich people.

45 billionaires in the US in 1987. There are now over 600.

And yes a lot of that is tied up in capital gains, and corporate taxes, which should be a target, specifically the tech giants paying out 0%, and even getting breaks, on 100's of billions in profits.
Old 02-06-2020, 01:03 PM   #790
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Well if nothing else this should be the death blow to caucuses which is good at least.
More evidence that the US is a 3rd world country. Ridiculous this is around in 2020.
Old 02-06-2020, 01:08 PM   #791
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy_oi View Post
Which part do you disagree with? If you don’t like Bernie or his policies that’s your chcoice but it doesn’t take anything away from his character or abilities.
The idea that Bernie is either passionate or could tear Trump a new one, Bernie, like Warren and Corbyn in the UK has not an iota of passion, his supporters do but he is dry, fact laden and depressing, so, so, depressing, his whole schtick is life sucks but I will make it suck slightly less, he has no hope, he doesn't even have anger, his message is long winded and complicated and easy to pull apart on costs and ideology.

Listening to any of them is like attending a college lecture on economics, Trump is simple and easy to understand, Make America great Again and I'll build a wall and Mexico will pay for it was his whole Platform, Johnson won the UK with 'Get Brexit done' nothing else, if Bernie cant sum up his whole platform in a 4 word sentence he will lose, pure and simple and thus far he looks unable to sum it up in 4 volumes with footnotes.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2020, 01:18 PM   #792
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

So it turns out there is a system worse than FPTP?
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 01:27 PM   #793
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 01:37 PM   #794
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I know my political theory on the States is probably wack. But I really think this impeachment, and this Iowa Caucus, combined with a strange slate of candidates isn't helping things.

I mean We know this is going to come down to a narrow corridor of voters, since its likely that the Rep base will be fired up going into this election on what they perceive was a unfair prosecution of the President and the party. The Dems will be fired up about the whole abuse of system and corruptness of the system and government.

So is this election going to be decided by 5% of the eligible voters? 10% those that are undecided, or just don't vote without a good reason.

Maybe this election will be decided by 1 guy in Cody, Wyoming. But the election strategies are going to go after a relatively small band of perspective voters

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 01:39 PM   #795
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ark2 View Post
Despite the what the top marginal tax rates were in the past, top income earners weren't paying much more back then than they are now.
IMO, that is purely a symptom of the massive massive wealth gap. The "rich" now are just so much richer than they were in that era.

I do not see that as a net positive for the majority of Americans.

Peter's point that they should now be free to take more risks to make even more money is laughably Keynesian. None of those people are wanting for more personally. Their bank accounts are just high scores to them.
Bill Bumface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 02:04 PM   #796
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I know my political theory on the States is probably wack. But I really think this impeachment, and this Iowa Caucus, combined with a strange slate of candidates isn't helping things.

I mean We know this is going to come down to a narrow corridor of voters, since its likely that the Rep base will be fired up going into this election on what they perceive was a unfair prosecution of the President and the party. The Dems will be fired up about the whole abuse of system and corruptness of the system and government.

So is this election going to be decided by 5% of the eligible voters? 10% those that are undecided, or just don't vote without a good reason.

Maybe this election will be decided by 1 guy in Cody, Wyoming. But the election strategies are going to go after a relatively small band of perspective voters

Problem is Dems are only fired up if it's there candidate.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 02:20 PM   #797
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
The idea that Bernie is either passionate or could tear Trump a new one, Bernie, like Warren and Corbyn in the UK has not an iota of passion, his supporters do but he is dry, fact laden and depressing, so, so, depressing, his whole schtick is life sucks but I will make it suck slightly less, he has no hope, he doesn't even have anger, his message is long winded and complicated and easy to pull apart on costs and ideology.

Listening to any of them is like attending a college lecture on economics, Trump is simple and easy to understand, Make America great Again and I'll build a wall and Mexico will pay for it was his whole Platform, Johnson won the UK with 'Get Brexit done' nothing else, if Bernie cant sum up his whole platform in a 4 word sentence he will lose, pure and simple and thus far he looks unable to sum it up in 4 volumes with footnotes.

Yes we can!

Old 02-06-2020, 02:26 PM   #798
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dems should just sit this one out and let Trump be re-elected by acclamation.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 02:26 PM   #799
HockeyIlliterate
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
How does he run on Medicare for all when a vast majority of Americans feel strongly about keeping their employer based health care?
By convincing them that there is absolutely no chance that they will be able to keep their employer based health care for the rest of their life.

By convincing them that there is absolutely no chance that they will stay with their current employer for the rest of their life.

By convincing them that there is absolutely no chance that their employer will keep their current health care the way it is now for the rest of their life.

You know, just convincing them that the things they are now isn’t going to be how things will be in a few years, regardless of whatever you do or desire, because, well, that is life.

It really shouldn’t be that hard to do.
HockeyIlliterate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 02:29 PM   #800
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyIlliterate View Post
By convincing them that there is absolutely no chance that they will be able to keep their employer based health care for the rest of their life.

By convincing them that there is absolutely no chance that they will stay with their current employer for the rest of their life.

By convincing them that there is absolutely no chance that their employer will keep their current health care the way it is now for the rest of their life.

You know, just convincing them that the things they are now isn’t going to be how things will be in a few years, regardless of whatever you do or desire, because, well, that is life.

It really shouldn’t be that hard to do.
Vote Bernie because you are going to get cancer and your boss is a ######!!

that will have them flooding in, its not just hard, its impossible, Trump is more uplifting with his Rapist Mexicans schtick