Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-28-2019, 05:51 PM   #701
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know nothing about Kingdom Hearts 3 other than it's weird as fuuuuuuuuuck. I get the impression that it's a weird anime Toy Story/Pirates of the Caribbean crossover.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 08:23 AM   #702
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

It's mostly a Disney/Final Fantasy crossover ARPG.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 09:48 AM   #703
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Picked up Mass Effect Andromeda on Origin for $5, figured even I hated it at that price there's no risk. The writing is definitely no where near what it was for the original trilogy and some of the dialog and facial animations are downright laughable, but the actual gameplay and systems are great. Combat is the best it's been in the entire series, and the RPG elements are as well. They've basically taken the skill point system of the first ME and merged it with the updated class designs of ME3. Exploration is great too, they've brought back a 6-wheeled Mako that can actually climb hills and you can free roam planets again, but this time there's actual stuff to do

It really is too bad they handed this game off to their C-team writing staff, because if they had the ME1 writers involved this would easily be the best game in the series. Even still at $5 it's more than worth it
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2019, 10:35 AM   #704
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

The NDA for Dreams (beta) on PS4 lifted so I'd like to report that it is amaaaazing.

Media Molecule is the company that made LittleBigPlanet for the PS3, and for the last 6-7 years they've been working on Dreams, which is perhaps more video game engine than video game. It's certainly not easy, but some of the things people have made in 3 weeks is astounding. It won't be everybody's cup of tea, but if you're a fan of the creative arts it's one for your radar.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 01:53 PM   #705
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

GameStop's share price craters after announcing it will cease seeking a buyer: https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/...ck-dive-of-27/

Hopefully EB Games can remain viable and spin back off as an independent company, a la TRU Canada, when GameStop inevitably goes out of business.
Old 01-29-2019, 02:17 PM   #706
DigitalCarpenter
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
If you're thinking about the PC version of Anthem don't bother, at least not at launch. I normally don't pre-order, but with the Anthem VIP demo this weekend and the fact that Origin lets you easily cancel pre-orders I gave it a shot. UI is a total mess on PC, obviously designed for consoles with no thought given to PC controls. On foot combat is ok, but flying is a complete joke with a mouse. This thread goes over all the huge issues with the PC version currently

https://www.reddit.com/r/AnthemTheGa..._afterthought/

Cancelled my pre-order and will probably wait until the first sale, after Bioware hopefully puts some thought into the PC version and gets their server issues fixed
I totally disagree - flight is fine when you realize that you need to do it like driving a car, you have to plan ahead and not try and turn on a dime. I love the combat and will be playing on general release day.
DigitalCarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 08:49 PM   #707
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
I'm not as pissed about it as a was this morning since I probably wont get it for a year anyway but the OCD in me is pissed about the final season of Telltale's The Walking Dead only being on Epic Store. I have every other game from the series on Steam.

Let people have a choice in what client they want to download your games on.
It's about time some real competition for Steam comes about. The percentage they take from each purchase is criminal.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 09:41 PM   #708
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
It's about time some real competition for Steam comes about. The percentage they take from each purchase is criminal.
Except that it isn't competition. Two days ago you could buy the game off multiple sites and store fronts for various prices. Now you can only buy it off of one. And it's more expensive for most parts of the world. Actually, I'd argue it's more expensive for everyone considering you could buy it on a few store fronts for $45 USD. It's bull#### plain and simple.

I am no Steam loyalist. I have plenty of launchers and I buy from all kinds of retailers and store fronts. Epic is doing this entirely the wrong way. Compete against Steam with features and price. When Origin came into the market they offered full refunds, no questions asked. That forced Steam to implement a refund policy of their own.

The Epic Game Store offers absolutely nothing to the consumer. Their store has zero features compared to Steam and even at full MSRP it would cost me more to buy the game off Epic's store at $50 USD than it would to buy it on Steam for $65 CDN. Why would I want to pay more for less?

This is the worst store I have ever seen. Origin, Uplay, GOG, Twitch, Itch, Discord all had far better offerings straight out of the gate. Epic doesn't get a pass, especially with all that Fortnight money. Maybe if they spent that money developing a platform to truly compete against Steam they wouldn't have to moneyhat developers and would actually attract users.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 06:41 AM   #709
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm fine with other companies starting their own clients. But convincing developers to only sell their games on your client is bull####. Sell the games cheaper if you want to compete with Steam.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 09:37 AM   #710
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Prices are set by the publishers. Epic and Steam take a cut of that price.

And, frankly, publishers wouldn't be taking steps like this if Steam hadn't used its near monopoly in an abusive fashion. What we are seeing right now is potentially the market seeking to correct that behaviour.
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2019, 10:37 AM   #711
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah I played the Resident Evil 2 demo and it's amazing but way too stressful for me to actually purchase, haha.

I had the itch to get something new anyways so picked up Into the Breach on Switch and hoo boy, late to the party but that was a good buy. Addictive!
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 11:45 AM   #712
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
I'm fine with other companies starting their own clients. But convincing developers to only sell their games on your client is bull####. Sell the games cheaper if you want to compete with Steam.
Like how Steam forced people to use the Steam client in order to play Half Life 2? I have no problems if companies only want to sell on Epic to avoid the raping Steam gives them.

Steam was terrible at the start as well. Give Epic time to add in features.

Old 01-30-2019, 12:54 PM   #713
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Like how Steam forced people to use the Steam client in order to play Half Life 2?
Half Life 2 is a Valve game. There's a difference. If Epic only wanted to sell their games on their client like EA does with Origin I would be cool with that.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Inferno For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2019, 01:58 PM   #714
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Like how Steam forced people to use the Steam client in order to play Half Life 2? I have no problems if companies only want to sell on Epic to avoid the raping Steam gives them.

Steam was terrible at the start as well. Give Epic time to add in features.
So if I came out and released a new car you'd be cool with having no air bags or seat belts because I am new and haven't been around as long as Ford. You best compare my offering to the Model T. It's the only way to be fair to me as a new car manufacturer. Epic isn't competing against 2003 Steam it's competing against 2019 Steam. Why the hell should I as a customer want to go to a featureless platform that will cost me more money? Because Publisher X will get a bigger cut of the sale? #### that. I don't care what's in it for them.

True competition is good. Origin offering unconditional refunds and forcing other online stores to adopt refund policies is an example of good competition. Throwing up a game on your store for less money than what the other guy is selling it for is good competition. Buying a game's exclusivity is horrible for everyone. PC is about choice. Even publisher exclusives from EA, Activision and Ubisoft can be bought outside of their own store on authorized retailers.

Origin, Uplay, GOG, Discord, Twitch etc, etc, etc all had something to offer right out of the gates. And this 30% cut that everyone is so up in arms about is the exact same cut that both Sony and Microsoft take. Where is all the outrage? I'll say it again. These games were on multiple store fronts and online retailers and now they're only on one. But, sure, Steam is the monopoly.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cDnStealth For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2019, 03:54 PM   #715
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

The worst part about UPlay and Origin is that all my friends have different UserIDs/Handles than they do on Steam.

It's a PITA to cross-identify people I play with on different platforms if they are not in the main squad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 08:46 PM   #716
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Black Ops 4 has the worst multiplayer servers I have ever seen in my life. It wasn't this hard to play Halo 2 back in 2004. I've been trying to play for an hour and I've lost connection to the host in every single game I've joined. That's what I get for going back to this franchise after all these years, I guess.

Last edited by codynw; 01-30-2019 at 08:49 PM.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 11:26 AM   #717
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cDnStealth View Post
So if I came out and released a new car you'd be cool with having no air bags or seat belts because I am new and haven't been around as long as Ford. You best compare my offering to the Model T. It's the only way to be fair to me as a new car manufacturer. Epic isn't competing against 2003 Steam it's competing against 2019 Steam. Why the hell should I as a customer want to go to a featureless platform that will cost me more money? Because Publisher X will get a bigger cut of the sale? #### that. I don't care what's in it for them.
Obviously not. I never said customers would be happy about, but in general consumers are entitled and only want the easiest possible solution. Waaah, I won't every TV show to be on Netflix. Waaah, I want every game to be available on Steam.

Your car analogy doesn't make sense, but ignoring everything wrong with that, you still have the option not to buy the car in the end. Just like you have the option not to buy games that only exist on Epic if you really hate their platform. Market forces will decide on whether Epic's or any other platform succeeds or not.

The Following User Says Thank You to Fire For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2019, 11:54 AM   #718
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by codynw View Post
Black Ops 4 has the worst multiplayer servers I have ever seen in my life. It wasn't this hard to play Halo 2 back in 2004. I've been trying to play for an hour and I've lost connection to the host in every single game I've joined. That's what I get for going back to this franchise after all these years, I guess.
There must be a ton of pissed players I'm surprised its not more in the gaming news . . . or maybe its just your internet/router.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 01:21 PM   #719
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Posted for no other reason but nostalgia. 1991 Consumers Distributing.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2019, 06:25 PM   #720
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Those "after manufacturer rebates" were the worst!! It stopped me from getting stuff from my parents more than a couple times as a kid, due to the higher price needed up front.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post: