Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2019, 07:18 AM   #301
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

well my son's team season came to a crashing halt on Sunday as they lost game three of their first round playoff series 6-0. was very dissapoiting to see the team be so flat in a big game.

even more frustrating was their overtime loss in game 2 was they had several 5-3 PP's that they did not convert on.

Tryouts for his quadrant team started on august 26. His team played approximately 50 games (regular season, exhibition game, tournament, EMHW and 3 playoff games) and practiced almost 80 times over the course of the season, plus about a dozen dryland sessions.

Spring hockey starts on April 15.......
Old 03-05-2019, 07:34 AM   #302
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

2 and out for my kid's Pee Wee team. They still have a tournament left, but the season is basically done. He played really well, led his team in goals and learned the centre position.

What could have been.... They had troubles scoring and their goaltending was poor. Team defense was pretty good. He says he's never had more fun playing hockey than with this group, which makes me happy.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2019, 12:53 PM   #303
hixxes
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deegee View Post

Who wants to pay $4,250.00 for Novice hockey?
2 out of the 3 kids that I know of who went to the superleague did so because their Dad was not welcome back as a coach.

It's nuts that people are willing to pay that much for Novice or Atom hockey.
To be shot down in Flames!

hixxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 01:28 PM   #304
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hixxes View Post
2 out of the 3 kids that I know of who went to the superleague did so because their Dad was not welcome back as a coach.

It's nuts that people are willing to pay that much for Novice or Atom hockey.
What is more nuts is that a grown adult would do something that can cause a minor hockey association to not welcome them back as a coach.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 01:42 PM   #305
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
What is more nuts is that a grown adult would do something that can cause a minor hockey association to not welcome them back as a coach.
And intentionally take their kids out of an environment they might actually like, where their friends and school buddies play. etc. Pretty much defines the word selfish.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 02:32 PM   #306
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

A lot of assumptions in this thread about HSL. Wow.
Old 03-05-2019, 02:39 PM   #307
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
Not a lot of assumptions in my opinion. There were some genuine questions asked by several people regarding thoughts about this new organization. It is expensive but then again so is going the sports school route. I think most of us are open to hearing everyone's thoughts regardless of where they stand on things.
Old 03-05-2019, 03:29 PM   #308
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

It is going to be an all Calgary South Final in the AMHL South this year as both the Buffaloes and the Royals swept the second round. Not a surprise for the Buffaloes but some would find the Royals advancing, winning over Lethbridge one. Lethbridge had a great run leading up to and including the Mac's but really dropped off. Watched every game in this series and was really impressed with the Royals. Hard forecheck, hard back check, they protect the house very well, don't panic and capitalized on their chances, great coaching to as far as bench management and having all the kids play an effective system against Lethbridge, oh, and the goalie was great to, giving up 5 goals on over 100 shots in the two overtime wins in Lethbridge. Should be a great series for the South Final.

Hard to believe, not having kids myself, it only seems like yesterday I was coaching my nephew in Novice and last night was his last minor hockey game. As much as losing sucks, he summed up the Mac's final loss and last nights loss the same way, his words were, "Well we are all going to go on in hockey and lose bigger games than this but we are also going to go on and win bigger games to". Having won provincials the past three years and a bronze at Westerns in bantam and Bronze at the Telus Cup (Nationals) last year he is certainly ready to move on to Junior next year.
Old 03-05-2019, 04:07 PM   #309
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^
yeah I was surprised on the surface of it to hear about the Royals sweep- thanks for the report!
looooob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 11:39 PM   #310
Deegee
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
Care to be specific?
Deegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 03:27 PM   #311
Knut

Exp:

Just wrapping up the season this month for our Minor novice tier 3 team. I was a reluctant head coach at the start of the season (no other choices), but was pleasantly surprised at how much i enjoyed coaching this year.

It was the first year of the Novice Development League (4V4, half ice games, small pucks and small nets). It went relatively smooth i think. Changing lines was a bit of challenge trying to get the kids to remember to touch up every time. I can see how some of the top-end kids could be held back by it, but the lower end kids really benefited from it. They had to stay engaged in the play and got to touch the puck nearly every shift. Every kid on my team scored this season and i think development-wise it was great for them to learn how to battle for the puck in tight spaces.

We ended up going 18-5 with no kids quitting during the season (apparently can be an issue at this level).

Most importantly our team was able to raise $6100 toward KidSport with the sale of Johnny Gaudreau bobble-heads and company donations. It was a great learning experience for them to learn about how they are lucky to play a game they love, while other kids do not have that opportunity.

Last edited by Knut; 03-07-2019 at 03:30 PM.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Knut For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2019, 03:35 PM   #312
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hes View Post
Just wrapping up the season this month for our Minor novice tier 3 team. I was a reluctant head coach at the start of the season (no other choices), but was pleasantly surprised at how much i enjoyed coaching this year.

It was the first year of the Novice Development League (4V4, half ice games, small pucks and small nets). It went relatively smooth i think. Changing lines was a bit of challenge trying to get the kids to remember to touch up every time. I can see how some of the top-end kids could be held back by it, but the lower end kids really benefited from it. They had to stay engaged in the play and got to touch the puck nearly every shift. Every kid on my team scored this season and i think development-wise it was great for them to learn how to battle for the puck in tight spaces.

We ended up going 18-5 with no kids quitting during the season (apparently can be an issue at this level).

Most importantly our team was able to raise $6100 toward KidSport with the sale of Johnny Gaudreau bobble-heads and company donations. It was a great learning experience for them to learn about how they are lucky to play a game they love, while other kids do not have that opportunity.
That is why the changes were made, and that is why the changes are good overall. That is great to hear, and thanks for stepping up for your players and coaching them. Glad to hear you and the kids had a good season.
Old 03-07-2019, 03:41 PM   #313
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
That is why the changes were made, and that is why the changes are good overall. That is great to hear, and thanks for stepping up for your players and coaching them. Glad to hear you and the kids had a good season.
PROs
  • Lots of puck battles
  • Everyone touches the puck nearly every shift
  • Goalies get lots of reps
  • each players plays 30+ mins per game
  • Everyone is engaged as they get back on the ice so quickly (no bench shenanigans)
  • the kids really had fun every game
  • everyone is involved in Offense and Defense

CONs
  • Line changes were challenging/confusing at first
  • Passing was hard to incoporate as everyone is close together
  • Icing/offside rules not covered

The Pros vastly outweigh the Cons IMO
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Knut For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2019, 10:21 AM   #314
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Seems like a very odd weekend as this is the first weekend since late August (other than the Christmas break) where my son has not had hockey......hisspringprogram does not get going until mid-April
Old 03-10-2019, 05:44 PM   #315
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
Seems like a very odd weekend as this is the first weekend since late August (other than the Christmas break) where my son has not had hockey......hisspringprogram does not get going until mid-April
Seemed almost criminal to see all three ice surfaces at Centennial sitting empty when I arrived for my beer league game over the weekend.
Old 03-10-2019, 08:19 PM   #316
hixxes
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Anyone have any updates or latest rumours on the proposed realignment? I heard last night that the new association idea is off the table for next year.
To be shot down in Flames!

hixxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 08:55 PM   #317
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've only heard that it will be released in the next two weeks.
Old 03-10-2019, 09:26 PM   #318
Flamesfan74
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I guess there is a vote by the Board of Hockey Calgary tomorrow. We should find out soon. The only info I’ve been able to find is on the Breakers website. It would be nice if other asscoiations were open with what is going on.
Flamesfan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 03:52 PM   #319
Knut

Exp:

Got an Email from Glenlake.

Essentially, 60% of Calgary Associations do not want realignment. Hockey Calgary is making NOT basing their decision on what the Associations want.

Glenlake seem's to think a 13 Association alignment is the most likely to go through.
Old 03-11-2019, 06:17 PM   #320
Flamesfan74
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hes View Post
Got an Email from Glenlake.

Essentially, 60% of Calgary Associations do not want realignment. Hockey Calgary is making NOT basing their decision on what the Associations want.

Glenlake seem's to think a 13 Association alignment is the most likely to go through.
I only ever saw info for re-alignment of the North but not the South. Other than a Midnapore /Lake Bonavista merge what else was there for the South.
Flamesfan74 is offline   Reply With Quote