Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-25-2019, 11:56 AM   #281
brocoli
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesfan74 View Post
Saw 2 spectators get tossed the other night from my son’s hockey game. They were beaking about the refs only calling penalties on one player (his 3rd time in the box and he was getting pissy in the box). Needless to say the ref stopped the game and wouldn’t start it until they left. He had to stop the game again when he saw them trying to sneak back in.
Was this a young official? Not that it really matters, however as an adult my favourite thing to do is to go one of two ways. Either turn a def ear to the yelling or go over to the bench and tell the coach that you are not doing anything to that parent, but as long as it keeps up, bench minors will be coming. I've seen some very heated arguments arise between teams when parents can hurt them.
brocoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 09:37 PM   #282
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocoli View Post
Was this a young official? Not that it really matters, however as an adult my favourite thing to do is to go one of two ways. Either turn a def ear to the yelling or go over to the bench and tell the coach that you are not doing anything to that parent, but as long as it keeps up, bench minors will be coming. I've seen some very heated arguments arise between teams when parents can hurt them.
I like the way the ?young official handled it as opposed to yours.

Why not get rid of the parent and move on? Why would you want to punish a bunch of kids and inflame a situation for the action of a parent. And what exactly would the bench minor be?

Bagor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bagor For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2019, 10:09 PM   #283
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesfan74 View Post
BV. Thats why I’m interested. One change I heard us maybe losing a community.
I think every option I saw had you guys losing a community or two. McKenzie seems the most common of the options.
Old 02-26-2019, 07:05 AM   #284
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

quite a tear that the midget aaa flames have been on. a huge run to make the playoffs, and last night they knockout the northstars in overtime to go to round 2.

under the category of bittersweet irony, they player that scored the o/t winner was a kid picked up from the northstars in the midget aaa travelers game.
Old 02-26-2019, 09:53 AM   #285
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Good for that ref for doing this. I've seen it happen once or twice in the combined 22 seasons my kids played so it doesn't happen often. A buddy said the ref tossed everybody at his daughter's lacrosse game a few years ago. The entire group of parents and spectators - gone.
Yeah Lacrosse has a zero tolerance policy, in fact it has swung too much. The coaches are often not even allowed to speak to the refs. It helps the game/players if there is respectful communication between the coaches and refs.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 10:48 AM   #286
brocoli
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagor View Post
I like the way the ?young official handled it as opposed to yours.

Why not get rid of the parent and move on? Why would you want to punish a bunch of kids and inflame a situation for the action of a parent. And what exactly would the bench minor be?
It's more of the threat and not allowing it to become a show. I let teams deal with it internally and have yet to have any push back from it. I've also yet to call a penalty from it. But I've heard from multiple teams that certain parents are a problem and once you threaten the kids with penalties (justified or not), parents handle themselves.

I agree that I like what the hopefully young official did as well. I'm just waiting for the day when hockey becomes closer to Rugby in communication with officials and players/coaches
brocoli is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to brocoli For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2019, 10:56 AM   #287
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm trying to remember if it was soccer or minor hockey but I do recall one association we were associated with had a designated 'marshall' volunteer position among the parent group. Their job was to keep the parent/fans under control and try to avoid this type of stuff. Any issues that arose during a game would be dealt with by that person in theory. So if the ref was going to toss a spectator that person would be responsible for ensuring they left, if the team was going to be penalized for spectator behavior the coach only needed to let the marshall know and they took it from there - allowing the game to proceed sooner in theory.

Not sure how effective it was to be honest but the idea has merit.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 11:41 AM   #288
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm just waiting for the day when hockey becomes closer to Rugby in communication with officials and players/coaches
From personal experience I can tell you the communication with Refs in games can be good.

The communication and accountability with the Referee Society in Calgary/Alberta is appalling. There is no accountability for the referee when a player is injured as a result of inaction by the ref during the game.

Horrible standard of officiating in the province.

Quote:
Old 02-26-2019, 11:54 AM   #289
stazzy33
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
From personal experience I can tell you the communication with Refs in games can be good.

The communication and accountability with the Referee Society in Calgary/Alberta is appalling. There is no accountability for the referee when a player is injured as a result of inaction by the ref during the game.

I would love one example where it was a refs fault that a player got injured. You've said a lot of ludicrous things in this thread, and we get it, you don't like refs, but this is the most laughable
stazzy33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 12:17 PM   #290
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

to me the only way you could likely even start to blame a ref for an injury is if little johnny was running around the ice during a non-contact game hitting everything that moved and he was not penalized and eventually a hit lead to an injury. otherwise, perhaps the ref had a different view of the play, perhaps eh just missed it.

UCB - that is a pretty blanket statement about officiating in the province. have you or are you a ref?
Old 02-26-2019, 12:34 PM   #291
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stazzy33 View Post
I would love one example where it was a refs fault that a player got injured. You've said a lot of ludicrous things in this thread, and we get it, you don't like refs, but this is the most laughable
Likeing or not liking refs isn't the point (BTW I am ambivalent on refs).

Example of player getting injuried due to ref inaction:

A player who is a friend was injured in a game where the ref didn't control the scrum engagement, didn't enforce legal binding, allowed lifting of the front row & allowed the opposition prop to bore in. All of things went on without any response from the ref, eventually a scrum collapsed resulting in a neck injury to my friend (it ended his season, but could have been much worse). Had the ref policed the scrum to the law this would not have happened, or at least the chance of it happening would have been greatly reduced.

When the club addressed this with the Referee Society it closed ranks and essentially said the ref did not error in the handling of the scrum engagement.

I have an axe to grind with that type of ref(s) response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
to me the only way you could likely even start to blame a ref for an injury is if little johnny was running around the ice during a non-contact game hitting everything that moved and he was not penalized and eventually a hit lead to an injury. otherwise, perhaps the ref had a different view of the play, perhaps eh just missed it.

UCB - that is a pretty blanket statement about officiating in the province. have you or are you a ref?
To be clear my comment was on rugby reffing in the province. Do I ref, no. I played (30 years) and have coached for 20+yrs.

Does not being a ref preclude me from having an opinion?

Quote:
Old 02-26-2019, 04:00 PM   #292
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not sure if this has been discussed. Interesting to see this parallel league prosper at the expense of LMHA's, the ages groupings is growing larger as the initial groups get older to the point they will essentially mirror the entire minor hockey system in a few years. Of particular interest to me is Hockey Canada has changed their model IIRC to focus more on skill especially at younger ages and this is also what this group seems to claim. We've seen the growth in sports schools over the past few years (wonder if this will hurt or help them - a case could be made either way) and now this. Just from personal experience in the traditional hockey system it seems like some parents are bailing on the 'regular' model and buying their kids way onto these self proclaimed elite teams. Not saying the programs and athletes are not good, but I have seen many occasions when a parent pulls their kid from minor hockey and puts them into this type of program because they were not happy with how evaluations and team placement went. Still, it seems like there is an appetite for this so who know how it will all shake out.

Also will be interested in seeing how successful they are at obtaining ice given the shortage (at least in Calgary area).

"Alberta's Hockey Super League gains momentum from players looking for elite stream.

Unsanctioned league has grown from 9 to more than 60 teams since launch"

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...ague-1.5033314
Old 02-26-2019, 04:33 PM   #293
Flamesfan74
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Good for that ref for doing this. I've seen it happen once or twice in the combined 22 seasons my kids played so it doesn't happen often. A buddy said the ref tossed everybody at his daughter's lacrosse game a few years ago. The entire group of parents and spectators - gone.
I saw it just about happen once before. The worse part was the manager was sitting right next to them.

Quote:
He was probably in his 20’s. I did hear the coach giving the 2 spectators the gears afterwards. The ref did talk to the other teams coach to explain what happened.
Flamesfan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 05:58 PM   #294
Deegee
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Not sure if this has been discussed. Interesting to see this parallel league prosper at the expense of LMHA's, the ages groupings is growing larger as the initial groups get older to the point they will essentially mirror the entire minor hockey system in a few years. Of particular interest to me is Hockey Canada has changed their model IIRC to focus more on skill especially at younger ages and this is also what this group seems to claim. We've seen the growth in sports schools over the past few years (wonder if this will hurt or help them - a case could be made either way) and now this. Just from personal experience in the traditional hockey system it seems like some parents are bailing on the 'regular' model and buying their kids way onto these self proclaimed elite teams. Not saying the programs and athletes are not good, but I have seen many occasions when a parent pulls their kid from minor hockey and puts them into this type of program because they were not happy with how evaluations and team placement went. Still, it seems like there is an appetite for this so who know how it will all shake out.

Also will be interested in seeing how successful they are at obtaining ice given the shortage (at least in Calgary area).

"Alberta's Hockey Super League gains momentum from players looking for elite stream.

Unsanctioned league has grown from 9 to more than 60 teams since launch"

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...ague-1.5033314
We did HSL this year.

While we loved the game format of 4 games on set weekends throughout the year giving us more family time, we hated the travel for practices. Living in Didsbury we had some practices in NE Calgary every week with other practices in Carstairs or Beiseker. Driving 30 minutes for dry land in Airdrie sucked hard.

The cost is also much higher than minor hockey, with HSL charging teams $1,750 a showcase weekend. 9 Showcase weekends is $15,750, so your team fees starts off at around $950 a kid before you even look at paying for practice ice. On top of your team fees you need to pay $650 to the league which covers pant shells, jerseys, helmets, and gloves, team swag, and insurance.

They should just send a bill to the team for the insurance and allow teams to organize their own gear - It'd be much cheaper, but I am sure they are making money by referring to suppliers. We just got our track jackets this last showcase weekend. We have one weekend of games left.

The franchises are also for profit ventures.

I know some teams are charging $3,600.00 on top of the league fee of $650.00.

Who wants to pay $4,250.00 for Novice hockey?
Deegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 06:03 PM   #295
Deegee
First Line Centre

Exp:

Right, don't forget because ice is scarce, the locations of many of the showcases leave much to be desired. Be prepared to spend many dollars on hotels.

http://hockeysuperleague.ca/locations

Edit: Typo.

Last edited by Deegee; 03-05-2019 at 11:41 PM.
Deegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 06:51 PM   #296
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Wow.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 08:19 AM   #297
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deegee View Post

fools?

Quote:
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2019, 06:26 PM   #298
memphusk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hey everyone. My son is asking about any hockey camps that the Calgary flames may hold? Any info on this would be appreciated.
Old 03-01-2019, 12:57 PM   #299
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deegee View Post
the families that drive their bentley's out to lake lousie for a family weekend of skiing that costs $1,600.......
Old 03-01-2019, 02:42 PM   #300
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
the families that drive their bentley's out to Lake Louise for a family weekend of skiing that costs $1,600.......
And miss the hockey that they paid big $$$ to sign up for on top of it!!!