Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-26-2016, 01:29 PM   #61
Wood
First Line Centre

Exp:

I bought a 970 about 8 months ago, I'm regretting it now. I was impatient and didn't think the prices would be so great for the new cards
Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 02:45 PM   #62
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood View Post
I bought a 970 about 8 months ago, I'm regretting it now. I was impatient and didn't think the prices would be so great for the new cards
I did the same thing funnily enough. Then i realized that the 970 will output 4k video content at 60hz and I transitioned it into an htpc.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 03:23 PM   #63
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Need some advice...

Last week I bought a EVGA GTX 1070 SC. I've not opened it yet because I'm been debating on whether or not I should return it and buy an EVGA GTX 1080 SC. The cost difference is $310. I'm wondering if you guys and gals figure it's worth the upgrade or if that money would be better used elsewhere. For example, buy a new CPU or RAM or motherboard or pay $50 and get the EVGA 1070 FTW edition.

Here's what I have:
i5-2500K overclocked to 4.3 GHz
ASUS P8Z68-V Pro motherboard
32 GB of 1600 Mhz RAM
GTX 670

And how I game:
2560 x 1440
(aim for 60 FPS)

I'd like the setup to last me 3-4 more years. I know the CPU is super old and I know I'll have to upgrade soon but it seems that the delta between my CPU and a newer CPU is not that much vs a 1070 to a 1080.

Thoughts are appreciated!

Last edited by Meelapo; 09-29-2016 at 03:40 PM.
Meelapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 09:00 AM   #64
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Psychnet is probably the best guy to wait for opinion wise but until he weighs in, have a look here.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1731?vs=1714
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Coys1882 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2016, 09:36 AM   #65
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Based on your specs, the 1080 would offer the biggest performance boost compared to any other upgrade that would be less than 300.

While a more modern i5 or i7 (such as the 6600k or 6700k) would offer a CPU/bottleneck opening boost of 15%-20%, the new RAM, CPU and Motherboard would cost you a minimum of $650, if you cheaped out on the parts and bought on sale.

A 1080 is ~20% faster than a 1070 anyway, so the extra 300 would give you an equivalent boost as if you bought a whole new base-array. That said, the early i-series stuff is getting a bit long in the tooth (though not long enough to merit running out right now to upgrade) so it's something to consider probably next year if you're not a year-to-year upgrade guy.

Don't buy a 1080 "Founder's Edition" (FE) if you can. There are alot of great options for aftermarket cards. My best recommendation is ordering the (NewEgg exclusive unfortunately) MSI Gaming 8G (not the Gaming X). It's the same card/cooler as the Gaming X/Z, however it's pre-OC is a bit lower (but can handle the high clocks if you manually tune it). It's ugly as sin but the cooler is great. The EVGA 1080 SC is a cheaper option that still handles good overclocks however.

[insert segueway here]

Speaking of z170 socket motherboards, the ASUS Z170-A I bought last year (literally about 13 months ago) died two nights ago, very suddenly, and would not boot (or even post, or give error messages). After testing/part swapping, I did finger the board, and promptly went out and bought the MSI Gaming Pro Carbon which as it turns out, is a pretty snazzy and solid board. Good wafer weight, hidden soldering, and the BIOS features are great.

3 out of the last 4 ASUS motherboards have died on me over the last 6 or 7 years, so I'm pretty done with them. MSI is starting to become my favorite hardware brand...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 12:16 PM   #66
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Based on your specs, the 1080 would offer the biggest performance boost compared to any other upgrade that would be less than 300.

While a more modern i5 or i7 (such as the 6600k or 6700k) would offer a CPU/bottleneck opening boost of 15%-20%, the new RAM, CPU and Motherboard would cost you a minimum of $650, if you cheaped out on the parts and bought on sale.

A 1080 is ~20% faster than a 1070 anyway, so the extra 300 would give you an equivalent boost as if you bought a whole new base-array. That said, the early i-series stuff is getting a bit long in the tooth (though not long enough to merit running out right now to upgrade) so it's something to consider probably next year if you're not a year-to-year upgrade guy.

Don't buy a 1080 "Founder's Edition" (FE) if you can. There are alot of great options for aftermarket cards. My best recommendation is ordering the (NewEgg exclusive unfortunately) MSI Gaming 8G (not the Gaming X). It's the same card/cooler as the Gaming X/Z, however it's pre-OC is a bit lower (but can handle the high clocks if you manually tune it). It's ugly as sin but the cooler is great. The EVGA 1080 SC is a cheaper option that still handles good overclocks however.

[insert segueway here]

Speaking of z170 socket motherboards, the ASUS Z170-A I bought last year (literally about 13 months ago) died two nights ago, very suddenly, and would not boot (or even post, or give error messages). After testing/part swapping, I did finger the board, and promptly went out and bought the MSI Gaming Pro Carbon which as it turns out, is a pretty snazzy and solid board. Good wafer weight, hidden soldering, and the BIOS features are great.

3 out of the last 4 ASUS motherboards have died on me over the last 6 or 7 years, so I'm pretty done with them. MSI is starting to become my favorite hardware brand...
Eeek, I just built a new unit with an Asus h170i-plus d3 mobo after having issues with my previous gigabit mobo.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2016, 01:03 PM   #67
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Eeek, I just built a new unit with an Asus h170i-plus d3 mobo after having issues with my previous gigabit mobo.
Eh you never know. Maybe i have bad electrical at this house and i meed to buy a power conditioner. There are a lot of things that can brick a mobo that are both inside and outside your control.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

Quote:
Old 10-01-2016, 01:39 PM   #68
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Yeah I run my PC off a good UPS, get a lot of power surges and outages in Chestermere.

I have the same ASUS Z170-A and it's working well, I've never had an ASUS motherboard go bad; it's partly luck of the draw. I've used MSI and GigaByte too and liked them, though I returned the MSI video card I had (a 570 I think it was) as the cooler looked ok but as a lot louder than I'd liked. I've had ASUS video cards ever since as I like their coolers the best for being quiet.
Old 10-03-2016, 08:41 AM   #69
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Thanks for the advice, PsYcNeT and Coys1882. I eventually went with the EVGA GTX 1080. So far it seems really nice. I've not done a lot other than load Nvidia GeForce Experience to see what my game settings were before and what they recommend for being "optimized" after. One thing that stood out was in Overwatch it said I should render it at a nutso resolution.

Speaking of Overwatch, I played it and noticed a boat load of screen tearing. I don't have a fancy GSync monitor or one that plays at 144Hz but I assume those would help. With my limited knowledge I thought that the solution was to turn on VSync. However, it turns out that I might be able to use "fast sync":

https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comm...ble_right_now/

I'm also now thinking about buying an LG 34" Ultrawide curved monitor. It seems like that would go nice with this new card. The LG is $1100 and the closest one to size with GSync is about $1600.

Here's what I've been thinking about getting for the rest of the computer. I can't afford it all now so I'll have to prioritize. Maybe the monitor and case first because it makes the set up look nice. Maybe that'll help get my wife gets on board.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($460.89 @ Vuugo)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 67.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler ($99.02 @ DirectCanada)
Motherboard: Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($213.93 @ Vuugo)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($99.73 @ Amazon Canada)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($219.71 @ Vuugo)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($97.63 @ Newegg Canada)
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX Glass ATX Mid Tower Case ($230.98 @ NCIX)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($140.62 @ NCIX)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($121.27 @ shopRBC)
Monitor: LG 34UC98 34.0" 60Hz Monitor ($1233.49 @ Amazon Canada)
Total: $2917.27
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-03 10:41 EDT-0400
Old 10-03-2016, 08:59 AM   #70
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meelapo View Post
Thanks for the advice, PsYcNeT and Coys1882. I eventually went with the EVGA GTX 1080. So far it seems really nice. I've not done a lot other than load Nvidia GeForce Experience to see what my game settings were before and what they recommend for being "optimized" after. One thing that stood out was in Overwatch it said I should render it at a nutso resolution.

Speaking of Overwatch, I played it and noticed a boat load of screen tearing. I don't have a fancy GSync monitor or one that plays at 144Hz but I assume those would help. With my limited knowledge I thought that the solution was to turn on VSync. However, it turns out that I might be able to use "fast sync":

https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comm...ble_right_now/

I'm also now thinking about buying an LG 34" Ultrawide curved monitor. It seems like that would go nice with this new card. The LG is $1100 and the closest one to size with GSync is about $1600.

Here's what I've been thinking about getting for the rest of the computer. I can't afford it all now so I'll have to prioritize. Maybe the monitor and case first because it makes the set up look nice. Maybe that'll help get my wife gets on board.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($460.89 @ Vuugo)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 67.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler ($99.02 @ DirectCanada)
Motherboard: Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($213.93 @ Vuugo)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($99.73 @ Amazon Canada)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($219.71 @ Vuugo)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($97.63 @ Newegg Canada)
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX Glass ATX Mid Tower Case ($230.98 @ NCIX)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($140.62 @ NCIX)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($121.27 @ shopRBC)
Monitor: LG 34UC98 34.0" 60Hz Monitor ($1233.49 @ Amazon Canada)
Total: $2917.27
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-03 10:41 EDT-0400
Yikes that's a lot of money for a 21:9 UW 1440p monitor that only runs at 60hz.

Regarding screen tearing, yeah VSync/GSync fixes that, but if your PC can't push 60 FPS (on a 60 hz monitor) constantly in a game, you'll notice stuttering with VSync as the GPU tries to maintain the constant. That's why GSync is better, since the monitor itself is re-tuning it self to the videocard's FPS output rather than the other way around, and the GPU can just focus on rendering.

If you realllllly want to game hard, a 4K GSync is probably a better option than a 21:9 UW 1440p (even if it's bigger) like the Acer XB280HK, but for general use and productivity tasks, it's hard to beat a 21:9.

If you're stuck on a 34" ultra-wide, Acer makes a GSync enabled Predator monitor (the X34) that runs at UW 1440p @ 100hz and it's immaculate, but it's also $1700.

As a GSync early adopter, I will say, it's a game-changing technology. I'm sure a few of the other GSync owners can chime in about it.

As a side note, UW 21:9 1440p is ~5 million pixels, so a full "4K" monitor (like UHD 3840x2160) would be pushing ~8.3 million, which is like, a pretty huge amount more.

Quote:

Last edited by PsYcNeT; 10-03-2016 at 09:02 AM.
Old 10-03-2016, 09:01 AM   #71
photon

Exp:

You should get the m.2 version rather than the SATA version of the SSD, saves space as it goes right on the motherboard and also is much faster.

The Samsung 960 EVO is coming out in October as well.

I'd also go with a Hitachi drive, they're still the best IMO and have the lowest failure rates in long term usage.

Old 10-03-2016, 10:42 AM   #72
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Yikes that's a lot of money for a 21:9 UW 1440p monitor that only runs at 60hz.

Regarding screen tearing, yeah VSync/GSync fixes that, but if your PC can't push 60 FPS (on a 60 hz monitor) constantly in a game, you'll notice stuttering with VSync as the GPU tries to maintain the constant. That's why GSync is better, since the monitor itself is re-tuning it self to the videocard's FPS output rather than the other way around, and the GPU can just focus on rendering.

If you realllllly want to game hard, a 4K GSync is probably a better option than a 21:9 UW 1440p (even if it's bigger) like the Acer XB280HK, but for general use and productivity tasks, it's hard to beat a 21:9.

If you're stuck on a 34" ultra-wide, Acer makes a GSync enabled Predator monitor (the X34) that runs at UW 1440p @ 100hz and it's immaculate, but it's also $1700.

As a GSync early adopter, I will say, it's a game-changing technology. I'm sure a few of the other GSync owners can chime in about it.

As a side note, UW 21:9 1440p is ~5 million pixels, so a full "4K" monitor (like UHD 3840x2160) would be pushing ~8.3 million, which is like, a pretty huge amount more.
The reason I selected the LG was precisely to the point that you made...the Acer is $1700. I need to get a monitor that is also wife approved and I don't think that would get through the RFP process I usually have to go through with her.

The other reason I don't want to go to something smaller but with GSync is because I'm already at a 32" BenQ. My eyes would not like me if I dropped down a few monitor inches.
Old 10-03-2016, 10:45 AM   #73
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well keep in mind a 34" 3440x1440p is approximately only as "tall" vertically as a ~27"/28" 16:9 monitor, it's just longer on the horizontal, so the "diagonal" distance (34") is longer. A 28" 4K monitor would be about the same size, with just some of the horizontal space cut off.

Quote:
The Following User Says Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2016, 11:55 AM   #74
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
You should get the m.2 version rather than the SATA version of the SSD, saves space as it goes right on the motherboard and also is much faster.

The Samsung 960 EVO is coming out in October as well.
Wow, that's one rabbit hole I wish I didn't go down. Lots of info to digest but for the average person's desktop computer, 2.5" SSDs should still suffice. Mine feels plenty fast!
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 12:52 PM   #75
photon

Exp:

Oh for sure, the only place I'd probably notice a difference between an m.2 drive and a SATA one would be my levels load 0.8 seconds faster in Battlefield or something like that.

I liked it more for not taking up space to be honest, the theoretical transfer rates are just a psychological bonus
Old 10-03-2016, 01:02 PM   #76
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Well keep in mind a 34" 3440x1440p is approximately only as "tall" vertically as a ~27"/28" 16:9 monitor, it's just longer on the horizontal, so the "diagonal" distance (34") is longer. A 28" 4K monitor would be about the same size, with just some of the horizontal space cut off.
Thanks, PsYcNeT. That's actually really good to know. Maybe I'll hold off on the monitor and fix the innards of my computer. Perhaps there will be some announcement in January during CES for other GSync monitors.
Old 10-03-2016, 01:02 PM   #77
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well you say that, but the latest PCI-E x4 speed m.2 drives are quite literally 4x faster (2200-2500 MB/s) reading and 2x faster (~1000 MB/s) writing. That's a pretty notable difference.

Bad thing is that it disables at minimum 2 of your SATA ports to use one m.2 port.

Quote:
Old 10-03-2016, 01:44 PM   #78
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Man I wish I could talk specs like you guys do.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2016, 02:33 PM   #79
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also Meelapo can I mention how much I love love love all the new glass panel cases that are coming out? That one you linked is excellent. I've been eyeballing that case for about 3 months and seeing it again makes me want one. Too bad NCIX has the cheapest Canadian price, because they are literally the worst.

EDIT: I totally want the IN WIN 805 Infinity too, even though they aren't that great for cooling. *drool*

Or the IN WIN H-Frame 2.0...but that thing is stupid expensive

Quote:

Last edited by PsYcNeT; 10-03-2016 at 02:44 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2016, 03:32 PM   #80
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Holy balls those are awesome.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote