Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2022, 08:58 AM   #241
chummer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Went to my first college football game last night, USC vs Notre Dame. Caleb Williams is something else....strong, accurate arm, great runner. Made plays out of nothing, reminded me of Mahommes. Maybe 1st overall in 24?
chummer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to chummer For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2022, 09:09 AM   #242
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Alabama's argument would be they have two losses, to two teams who will be in or right on the edge of the top 10 in the final rankings, both on the road by a combined four points, on the last play of each game. It wouldn't surprise me to see them at #5 this week. Even though Ohio State only has one loss it's a bad loss at home. And even though Tennessee has the H2H win, they gave up 60+ to an unranked team, which is basically unforgivable. So all it might take next week is a USC loss or TCU loss and Alabama will backdoor into the playoff.
Old 11-27-2022, 11:16 AM   #243
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chummer View Post
Went to my first college football game last night, USC vs Notre Dame. Caleb Williams is something else....strong, accurate arm, great runner. Made plays out of nothing, reminded me of Mahommes. Maybe 1st overall in 24?
Williams is incredible...much better than what I thought he was.
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 03:32 PM   #244
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Michigan moved up to No. 2 in The Associated Press college football poll Sunday, with#TCU#at No. 3 and#USC#at No. 4 behind top-ranked#Georgia#after four top-10 teams lost on the final day of regular-season games

Per espn

Last edited by transplant99; 11-27-2022 at 06:40 PM.
transplant99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 07:33 AM   #245
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Luke Fickell has left Cincinnati to take the head coaching job at Wisconsin which is a bit of a surprise. And Matt Rhule hired by Nebraska.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 03:05 PM   #246
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hugh Freeze has left Liberty to take the job at Auburn. Oh man, that has disaster written all over it.

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 03:42 PM   #247
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

And to compete a coaching news trifecta Deion Sanders has confirmed CU offered him the job. He didn’t accept it kind you only confirmed it was offered.

Were I at CU I would pull that offer immediately. That feels like such a slap in the face. Either accept or decline but don’t do the “if nothing better comes along guess I can take it” and use the media to negotiate with where you want to go (USF or FSU). Illinois’ DC is an alum and was also rumoured to be high on the list, they should pivot immeidtaly to him IMO
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 07:23 PM   #248
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

yeah, some of these coaching moves really have been surprises...

Rhule is a great hire (but I thought the same with Frost).
Fickell is a surprise considering he snubbed MSU last year... I thought he'd hold out for the Ohio State job (being a former player and DC there).
Freeze is hilarious, as there are rumors that "they" tried getting rid of Harsin due to rumors of sexual improprieties... and then turn around and hire Freeze?! Heck of a coach, but morally a bit questionable.

I'd be surprised about Deion taking the Colorado job, but it is actually a bit of a sleeping giant program...FSU job isn't coming open this year, but maybe next year depending on whether Norvell gets it together.

Stanford job now open too
Old 11-29-2022, 09:04 PM   #249
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

UAB is expected to hire Trent Dilfer as their next head coach. Interesting?

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 02:46 AM   #250
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
The last remaining obstacle to expanding the College Football Playoff to 12 teams in the 2024 and 2025 seasons has been cleared.

A source told ESPN on Wednesday night that the Rose Bowl has agreed to terms that will pave the way for the College Football Playoff to expand in the final two seasons of the current contract -- 2024 and 2025.

Any more steps toward an expanded playoff are a formality, as the formal announcement of the CFP expansion beginning in 2024 is expected to be imminent.

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...-cfp-expansion
Old 12-01-2022, 06:57 PM   #251
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
I could post this in the What makes me Happy thread. Pretty stoked about this.
Old 12-01-2022, 07:03 PM   #252
Displaced Flames fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chummer View Post
Yes, he is very smart and a good leader too.
Old 12-01-2022, 07:45 PM   #253
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Displaced Flames fan View Post
Yes, he is very smart and a good leader too.
I've heard some rumours he had parents similar to Tiger/Williams sisters/Mitch Marner. Raised like a soldier/robot. I'm a fan of his skill but these things always bother me when those types of parents are behind it all.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 12-01-2022 at 08:03 PM.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 07:52 PM   #254
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

That’s a pretty intense accusation. You got a link to a story? Google fu for his dad and I can’t find much out of the ordinary, doesn’t even rise to the level of Lavar Ball from what I can see and Lavar’s only problem was liking a bit of media coverage
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 07:57 PM   #255
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Haha ok maybe that's a bit extreme. I edited my post to remove the more libellous content.

I have no official source. Most of these things are just rumours I've read online. I've heard some of it mentioned on the broadcasts, although they always frame it like it's molded him into the fine athlete he is today. It makes it sound like they're talking about livestock. I'm pretty sure they did during the game against ND actually.

Stuff like he's had a workout regime, dietician, sports psychologist and has been forced to wake up at 5am to train for 4 hours before school since he was 9. The usual for those types of kids. There's more but I can't remember.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 12-01-2022 at 08:04 PM.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2022, 11:29 PM   #256
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Can't wait for 9-3 teams with wins against div2 schools to make the playoffs. Completely devalues the regular season. That Ohio State Michigan game would be meaningless with a 12 team playoff.
Old 12-02-2022, 11:01 AM   #257
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Haha ok maybe that's a bit extreme. I edited my post to remove the more libellous content.

I have no official source. Most of these things are just rumours I've read online. I've heard some of it mentioned on the broadcasts, although they always frame it like it's molded him into the fine athlete he is today. It makes it sound like they're talking about livestock. I'm pretty sure they did during the game against ND actually.

Stuff like he's had a workout regime, dietician, sports psychologist and has been forced to wake up at 5am to train for 4 hours before school since he was 9. The usual for those types of kids. There's more but I can't remember.
I've heard the same. Found an article from 2018 when he was still in high school. It refers to him having a trainer since he was 10. Last year I recall his father being involved when the talk was whether he would enter the transfer portal and leave Oklahoma.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...c3d_story.html
Old 12-02-2022, 07:00 PM   #258
chummer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Caleb Williams dominating yet another game.

Even with a nasty cut on his right pinky, the guy is amazing.

Last edited by chummer; 12-02-2022 at 07:04 PM.
chummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 07:56 PM   #259
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

started out looking like a rout, but Utah has shown a ton of guts coming back to tie this game.

Going to be a dogfight now... kind of like The Game. Felt like OSU was in total control but they could not manage the kill shot versus Michigan

should be a fascinated second half - even though I want USC to win (to fully eliminate OSU/Bama) you have to admire Utah's guts
Old 12-02-2022, 08:21 PM   #260
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
And to compete a coaching news trifecta Deion Sanders has confirmed CU offered him the job. He didn’t accept it kind you only confirmed it was offered.

Were I at CU I would pull that offer immediately. That feels like such a slap in the face. Either accept or decline but don’t do the “if nothing better comes along guess I can take it” and use the media to negotiate with where you want to go (USF or FSU). Illinois’ DC is an alum and was also rumoured to be high on the list, they should pivot immeidtaly to him IMO
The expression beggars can't be choosers certainly fits the Buffs these days.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote