Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2018, 08:29 PM   #21
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

When Bettman was in town a few months ago, he even mentioned that the next round of rights contracts will likely include new distribution channels like Hulu or Google/YouTube instead of just NBC or ESPN. NBC's current deal ends after the 2020-21 season.

The NHL is also a minority owner of BAMTECH, which is a digital streaming technology company that was originally spun-off from the MLB's streaming service. Now, Disney is the majority owner with the NHL and MLB as minority owners. The technology is used by many of the big live-streaming media companies.

At some point, the NHL could just decide to leave the traditional distribution channels behind and run everything themselves. It probably won't happen when NBC's contract is up in 3 years, but might by the time the Rogers deal expires.
Old 08-02-2018, 09:13 PM   #22
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
When Bettman was in town a few months ago, he even mentioned that the next round of rights contracts will likely include new distribution channels like Hulu or Google/YouTube instead of just NBC or ESPN. NBC's current deal ends after the 2020-21 season.

The NHL is also a minority owner of BAMTECH, which is a digital streaming technology company that was originally spun-off from the MLB's streaming service. Now, Disney is the majority owner with the NHL and MLB as minority owners. The technology is used by many of the big live-streaming media companies.

At some point, the NHL could just decide to leave the traditional distribution channels behind and run everything themselves. It probably won't happen when NBC's contract is up in 3 years, but might by the time the Rogers deal expires.
I'm still not a fan of streaming sports. I can personally attest DAZN was a disaster last year streaming NFL games. Even when things are relatively smooth lower frame rate compared to cable bothers me.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 10:22 PM   #23
Allos
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Did you mean: Daren Millard?
Allos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 03:18 PM   #24
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's Steve Simmons, so take that for what it's worth, but there are now rumblings that Romanuk may be the next departure from Sportsnet this summer...

https://twitter.com/user/status/1029406948704309249

Button weighs in too...

https://twitter.com/user/status/1029472611393097728

As much as it would be great for his career, I hope they don't move Ball off the Flames games to their national coverage.
Old 08-14-2018, 03:26 PM   #25
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Simmons is also saying that Millard is joining the Vegas broadcast team.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1029415937567608834
Old 08-14-2018, 07:06 PM   #26
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Interesting career move. Once the Raiders move over there it’s going to be good times for sports media in that market.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2018, 07:33 PM   #27
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sounded originally he's moving out of broadcasting. Now going to LV? Sounds like they made an offer he couldn't refuse.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 07:35 PM   #28
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
Sounded originally he's moving out of broadcasting. Now going to LV? Sounds like they made an offer he couldn't refuse.
After their incredible success they likely wanted to put some capital in presenting the team in the most professional manner possible on TV to give the team and sport a legitimate feel to locals.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 08:02 PM   #29
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

Quote:
It's Steve Simmons, so take that for what it's worth, but there are now rumblings that Romanuk may be the next departure from Sportsnet this summer...

https://twitter.com/user/status/1029406948704309249

Button weighs in too...

https://twitter.com/user/status/1029472611393097728

As much as it would be great for his career, I hope they don't move Ball off the Flames games to their national coverage.
Woohoo! Now get rid of Millen and I can start watching Leafs broadcasts again instead of the opposition feed.

I wonder who will be the new guy? Since TSN has all the good play-by-play guys locked up maybe the Leafs will get Beyak? Or maybe the Leafs get Hughson full time? I could deal with that but I get the feeling he doesn't like the Leafs too much. So many times the Leafs will score and he doesn't even say anything. It's like he is pissed off.
savemedrzaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 08:14 PM   #30
Rtown
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Not that I'd ever wish ill will onto anyone, but how is it all these media guys (some good, some not so much) are getting terminated and yet Steve Simmons still has a job?
Rtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 09:20 AM   #31
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deegee View Post
People won't stop illegally streaming until their prices are more reasonable. $24.99 for each one? You'd be at like $50.00 for just TSN and Sportsnet. What a rip off.
Not to mention, these channels certainly aren't sparse for ads either. The markup of their online streaming has to be an insane %.
[/DIGRESSION]
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 09:28 AM   #32
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I can't wait for channels like TSN and Sportsnet to be replaced. The bias, the sloppiness, and the repeated examples of willingness to stretch your patience if it'll make another dollar. As Erick Estrada pointed out, the quality isn't there yet - but it's right around the corner. I think adoption of (consciously) streaming internet in the living room is still not there yet for the mainstream to switch, but I try and find news on replacements upcoming every offseason.
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 04:00 PM   #33
hwy19man
Franchise Player

Exp:

John Bartlett is returning to Sportsnet to call regional Leafs games and some national games. He has gone back and forth between Sportsnet and TSN.
https://twitter.com/SportsnetPR/stat...37119103045632

must show all Flames games nationally when they play on Saturdays, Mondays, and Wednesdays !!!
hwy19man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 04:45 PM   #34
PegCityFlamesFan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by savemedrzaius View Post
Woohoo! Now get rid of Millen and I can start watching Leafs broadcasts again instead of the opposition feed.

I wonder who will be the new guy? Since TSN has all the good play-by-play guys locked up maybe the Leafs will get Beyak? Or maybe the Leafs get Hughson full time? I could deal with that but I get the feeling he doesn't like the Leafs too much. So many times the Leafs will score and he doesn't even say anything. It's like he is pissed off.
Beyak needs to stay in Winnipeg. He's so good. I wont miss Romanuk calling games at all, but I am assuming his replacement will be another cast off like Randorf.
Old 08-16-2018, 05:31 PM   #35
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Never liked Millard, thought he was terrible when he hosted the NHL awards and his hockey knowledge was like your average fan. Frankly, not a fan of many on sportsnet, I liked Tim and Sid for a little but they’ve even started to get dry with the same old schtik.
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Beninho For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2018, 11:02 AM   #36
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1030482371093704704

Hopefully Leslie is the full time Flames host / Roger Millions position?
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2018, 11:06 AM   #37
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Weird that Tkachuk would be the one to break the news.
Old 08-17-2018, 11:15 AM   #38
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

With Leslie gone, does that mean Francis is the new Flames TV guy?
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 12:03 PM   #39
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
Please God no!
dissentowner is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2018, 02:17 PM   #40
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
nah. Some junior person will have that job.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote