Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2017, 12:31 PM   #561
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
Let's hope for a poetic death like being crushed to death by a giant globe that rolls down a hill. Bonus: The globe falls off a truck bound for Hollywood.
Or that he finally gets sick of being a rancher and decides to try his luck in Hollywood, then he hits huge fame but falls in with a bad crowd of religious lunatics and winds up raping a bunch of them and then going to jail.

Then they could start a whole new show, 'The Jail.' And it would be about Danny Masterson in jail. The tagline could be "So you thought rape was funny did you...?"

It could be like 'Orange is the New Black' but a whole lot darker...

Anyways, I digress.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2017, 12:31 PM   #562
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boblobla View Post
I met my wife at work and I don't really understand why that is an issue.

EDIT: to clarify, I don't think asking a coworker out on a date should be considered sexual harassment should it? I am in no way advocating unwanted sexual advances or sending dick pics to coworkers...
My Grandfather taught me long ago that work is work and even a dog knows not to crap where it eats.

You date co workers as it almost always ends badly for someone, the only way it doesn't is if you get married and live happily long enough for one of you to not work there any more.
If not then there are more ways for things to go south than a flock of geese in October.
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 12:53 PM   #563
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
My Grandfather taught me long ago that work is work and even a dog knows not to crap where it eats.

You date co workers as it almost always ends badly for someone, the only way it doesn't is if you get married and live happily long enough for one of you to not work there any more.
If not then there are more ways for things to go south than a flock of geese in October.
Also a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2017, 01:06 PM   #564
snootchiebootchies
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

All this wariness about sexual harassment has its benefits too. I no longer feel the obligation to introduce myself to new people at my company, which is ok by me. Or have to feel guilty about not wanting to go eat birthday cake in the boardroom. Maybe I'm turning into the Milton of my office. My company had our Christmas party this weekend and my wife bugged me that I know fewer and fewer people at my company on a first-name basis as the years go by. I told her it was because of all the sexual harassment talk going on, which cracked her up.
snootchiebootchies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 01:13 PM   #565
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2017, 05:09 PM   #566
Titan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boblobla View Post
I met my wife at work and I don't really understand why that is an issue.

EDIT: to clarify, I don't think asking a coworker out on a date should be considered sexual harassment should it? I am in no way advocating unwanted sexual advances or sending dick pics to coworkers...
Says the guy with the Pedo Bear avatar....
Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Titan For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2017, 08:53 PM   #567
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlamesVan View Post
Abducted by aliens.
Just like real life!

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 10:28 PM   #568
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
^^ I'm definitely feeling what's being mentioned in that article, not as a workplace thing, but just overall. I've talked to quite a few female friends about it. Trying to navigate the nuance has been messing with my head to the point that I'm way overthinking everything and it just becomes a deeper and deeper hold of self-doubt and second guessing.
i think an easy way to stop 'over thinking' in those situations is to ask yourself this... would this be acceptable to do/say in front of xxxxx .... insert mom/dad/someone you hold in high regard.

for me it's "would i do or say this in front of my wife" and if i have to think about it at all then the answer is a resounding 'no - i shouldn't do/say this'
Old 12-06-2017, 12:20 AM   #569
snootchiebootchies
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

snootchiebootchies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 12:29 AM   #570
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
^^ I'm definitely feeling what's being mentioned in that article, not as a workplace thing, but just overall. I've talked to quite a few female friends about it. Trying to navigate the nuance has been messing with my head to the point that I'm way overthinking everything and it just becomes a deeper and deeper hold of self-doubt and second guessing.

"Oh hey, this girls really cute. Okay don't say anything weird. Why would you say something weird? Do you usually say weird things? Are some girls walking away from conversations with you thinking you're a creep? Oh yeah, there's a girl in front of me. Okay don't look anywhere but her eyeballs. If you glance away she'll think you're not paying attention, or worse that you're looking at another person. If you glance down she'll think you're looking at her chest, even though you just like the color of her sweater. Oh #### now you looked. And now she thinks your creepily scanning her body. Are you creepily scanning her body? Annnnd she's gone because you haven't said anything in 40 seconds."

All of these things equal not really being able to pay attention to the actual person and deal with them naturally. Let my eyes move as they would normally, say the things I would normally say, etc... It's like someone put a new filter in your head and your not sure what should be getting through anymore. I consider myself someone who was and is very respectful of women. Has that made me immune from saying something stupid once in a while? Definitely not. But the thought that I might be getting perceived that way (true or not) is enough to make me avoid approaching with women, and particularly avoid approaching those I don't already know.

My whole thought process now is to avoid ANY sort of first move. Women I know think that's ridiculous but what else is there to do? If the first move is going to be considered creepy AT BEST even some of the time, then why would I be doing that? I tell them they're going to have be the ones who assert themselves more as men become more and more reserved out of fear of coming across inappropriate. I'm not saying these are bad things, just shifts we have to adjust to and that does include women.

EDIT* Not to get too personal/graphic, but it boils over into sex to IMO. In my personal experience, the majority of women like at least a little bit of "domination" (for lack of a better term). Words like "harder" and "pound" are regularly used. Some spanking is usually present. Even most popular sexual positions kind revolve around one person dominating the other (usually the male). So even stuff like that is throwing me for a loop. It starts to seep into my head that the whole act of sex is "bad" or that I'm somehow "doing this too them" instead of us having mutual relations. Do I ask permission before giving a small spank? Can heterosexual women in here honestly say they would find it sexy if a man kept asking permission to do things to them in the bedroom?
Haha, yep to this post. Similar ideas constantly run through my mind now.

Although maybe not all of the sex stuff.

I've found dating more and more difficult and awkward as I wonder if I should try and go for a kiss on date 1 or 2 or 3.

I try to let the lady make the first move, but have had dates end awkwardly with the woman later telling me that they were waiting for me to make the first move and that they thought I was not interested in them so they didn't bother trying to repeat the situation.

I am assuming a lot of you are going to say "You need to learn to read the situation", but that a lot of you are already married and do not understand dating in recent times (especially as a man in my mid thirties).

In an attempt to not do anything wrong, I do nothing at all. And that is just getting frustrating.

Open communication may work, but then again, asking to do everything before hand is super awkward and honestly I feel most women are turned off being asked for permission. It breaks the moment, or does in my mind.

Maybe this is just something I need to get over and isnt a problem for women? But if so, it sure would be nice to get some direction rather than having to guess.

Anyways, end rant.

Marry young, don't end up a bachelor in your mid thirties kids.

Last edited by Wastedyouth; 12-06-2017 at 12:36 AM.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 05:49 AM   #571
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Old 12-06-2017, 07:30 AM   #572
handgroen
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by snootchiebootchies View Post
i googled it everybody, it's jim belushi

is your cat doing singing?
handgroen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 07:32 AM   #573
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

good opinion piece. especially for those worried about even making a joke.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/opinion/james...joke-1.4433899

An inappropriate joke by an MP is not really a #MeToo moment: Robyn Urback

James Bezan's quip was supremely dumb. But it shouldn't be conflated with the stories of chronic abuse
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 09:22 AM   #574
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post
I've found dating more and more difficult and awkward as I wonder if I should try and go for a kiss on date 1 or 2 or 3.
In a world where some men harass women, and lot of other men are bad at reading social cues, it makes sense to adopt a norm where women take the initiative when it comes to sexual matters. Some people - men and women - aren't going to like that. But it's the sensible way to address these matters.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 09:24 AM   #575
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, that's not going to happen.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2017, 09:25 AM   #576
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
But it's the sensible way to address these matters.
Is it? A complete cultural paradigm shift is the sensible way to address things?
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2017, 09:29 AM   #577
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

A paradigm shift is inevitable. It's not something we control. The women exposing this is a paradigm shift. It most definitely will change the way we associate with each other. That's a good thing, there should be a paradigm shift. But are we going to pretend that it's not going to affect other things?

Last edited by Coach; 12-06-2017 at 09:31 AM.
Coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 09:34 AM   #578
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkstyle View Post
Is it? A complete cultural paradigm shift is the sensible way to address things?
Getting powerful men to stop making aggressive and unwanted sexual overtures towards women they have power over is a cultural paradigm shift as well.

Moving past traditional sexual norms is going to mean both men and women changing their expectations and behaviour.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 09:38 AM   #579
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Getting powerful men to stop making aggressive and unwanted sexual overtures towards women they have power over is a cultural paradigm shift as well.
Yeah. That’s a far cry from shifting who makes the first move to ask for a date.
Old 12-06-2017, 09:39 AM   #580
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
But are we going to pretend that it's not going to affect other things?
Are we going to pretend that sexual assault translates into who asks whom out for a date?
The Following User Says Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post: