PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stone hands View Post
cp's ideal flames coach:

only plays rookies
doesnt put the 4th line out until the team eventually gets up 10-0 because they're the best squad ever assembled in the history of the nhl
0 shots against(all season)
gets tossed from more games than bob probert so he can rally the troops
what am i missing
- implements a system a monkey could figure out, yet is complicated enough that the opposing team cannot
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 10:37 AM   #1202
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
cp's ideal flames coach:

only plays rookies
doesnt put the 4th line out until the team eventually gets up 10-0 because they're the best squad ever assembled in the history of the nhl
what am i missing
Pulls the goalie after he has allowed three goals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2017, 10:39 AM   #1203
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
cp's ideal flames coach:

only plays rookies
what am i missing
Sends players who had a bad shift straight to the press box.
TheIronMaiden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 10:52 AM   #1204
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bag skates!
Jiri Hrdina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 10:57 AM   #1205
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
cp's ideal flames coach:

only plays rookies
what am i missing

Never, ever looks down. Confidence and defiance >>>> watching video replay
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to edslunch For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2017, 10:58 AM   #1206
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

- appears spend very little/no time fixing hair in the morning

- absolutely refuses to look down at replay monitors after goal against. directs angry stare at bench instead to will a quick reply out of them
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 01:23 PM   #1207
smiggy77
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
cp's ideal flames coach:

only plays rookies
what am i missing

*work in progress*
Calls a time out in the first period because the other team has a good shift.
implements a system a monkey could figure out, yet is complicated enough that the opposing team cannot
Pulls the goalie after he has allowed three goals.
sends players who had a bad shift straight to the press box.
Be belligerent, let the refs get in his head, rips his shirt off when the refs make bonehead calls
Old 11-28-2017, 02:26 PM   #1208
JerryUnderscore
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Sigh.

I did not say that. Not even close. In fact, in the post you quoted, I said: 'you make some valid supporting arguments'.

As for me making arguments as to why he isn't a good head coach, I have already done so multiple times in the various threads on the topic, and (unlike some posters), I don't like re-stating the same things over and over.

Also, the fact of the matter is that I have already stated that, for a rebuilding team, I think that he is a good coach (because he is a good Xs and Os guy and a good teacher. He is a smart hockey guy, as I have also said multiple times).

I just don't think he is the right coach for the Flames right now. Again, it isn't black and white. It is possible to not think he is the right coach for the Flames without thinking that he is a terrible coach. But since you seem determined to have me make some arguments against him, I will state them again:

I don't like the way the Flames' D are being asked to always circle back with the puck. Sometimes glass and out is a good play. Also, having the D holding on to the puck in their own end longer gives the forecheckers a chance to get on them, and is causing them to spend too much time battling for pucks behind their own net, and too little time joining in the rush.

I don't like the breakout. For two reasons: 1) the winger is usually facing the corner, with his back to the defenseman as he receives the pass from our Dman. This makes it really easy for the opposing Dman to pinch and disrupt the play, which is significantly increasing the amount of zone time in our own end. 2) He is asking them to make little 5-10 foot passes in their own zone. The idea is to have puck support, but the problem is that these short passes end up in skates a lot, causing far too many turnovers. Other teams have been all over our breakout, and that has been causing far too many turnovers in our end.

I don't like the way the forwards are standing at centre ice, waiting for a pass from the D, and then just chipping it in. Two reasons: 1) we suck at dump and chasing, and 2) it doesn't utilize the Dmen in our offense, which should be a strength of our game. The Flames are most dangerous off the rush as a transition team. But Gulutzan has them playing more of a zone to zone style.

I don't like the player utilization, particularly on the PP. He has Gaudreau, Brodie, and Versteeg as the high man and two wings. None of the three are shooters. Having no shooting threats allows the PK to focus down low much more easily. IMO, Gaudreau should be on the off wing (where Versteeg currently is), with two shooters holding the other wing and high positions (Hamilton and Giordano would do just fine). Also, continuing to run Brouwer as the low man, when he has Tkachuk (especially) or Ferland to go to, is a crime.

I don't like the way he (over)utilizes Brodie, playing him 25 minutes a night and against the stiffest competition. Brodie should be a 3/4 guy, that is getting more favourable competition and better situational exposure, so that he is free to jump into the rush more. When he is getting defensive zone starts against the other teams' top lines, that is when he is exposed defensively, and he coughs up too many pucks.

While I like rolling 4 lines (over the course of a season, it really helps to avoid wearing guys out), there are times when you need to shorten the bench. When you're down a goal or two in the third period, you don't parade 4 lines. A novice coach knows this. And this goes back to him being a good rebuilding coach, but maybe not the right guy for the current team. When you're in win-now mode, you have to shorten the bench at times.

A coach defines the personality of a team. And the Flames aren't exactly the most physical or aggressive team in the league. Having Gulutzan standing there stoically, never arguing with the refs, never getting excited, never calling time-outs to regroup the troups, never stirring the pot, creates the wrong atmosphere for this team, IMO. Personally, I prefer more even-keeled coaches to the really crazy ones, but there are times when the coach has to fight for the team. And IMO, this team is more needing of that than some other teams might be. They need more passion and leadership from him on the bench.

I'll stop here. You asked for some arguments (even though I have made all of these before), so there you go. And none of them required any counting stats to back them up. I don't expect everyone to agree with them, nor anyone to agree with all of them, but those are my observations and opinions.

Having stated them, I will say again, that just because I don't think he is the right coach for this team does not mean that I think everything he does is stupid or terrible. Of course the Flames are going to win some games (hopefully enough), and no, you can't blame all the losses or the giveaways on a coach.

But IMO, this team is not playing a style that maximizes its talent. And they are not playing to the best of their abilities.

When a coach is still talking about implementing his systems (and the fact that the team isn't yet) more than 100 games into the coach's tenure, you have to ask if the system is too difficult or rigid to implement. Or possibly that it just doesn't suit the types of players he has.
Sorry then I must have misunderstood. After my first post regarding some of the advanced stats you had a post in which you said,

Quote:
As for all the corsi stats, that's great. Couldn't care less, to be honest.
I took that to mean you were dismissing the fact that the team is doing well both in the standings and in advances stats.

Also, thank you for reiterating your points. I don't follow each thread so I definitely missed some of your thoughts from other threads.

A lot of your thoughts seem to come down to a belief that the team is not living up to their potential. Would that be accurate to say?

If so, how would you assess their potential?
Old 11-28-2017, 10:57 PM   #1209
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

On the one hand Gulutzan took a team that drafted in the top 6 3 of the previous 4 years and they made the playoffs in year one. For that reason alone I think he has some slack on the leash.

Having said that I have struggled with how the team has played under him at times. There have been long stretches in periods or sometimes entire games where the team looks disinterested and get outwroked and outplayed.

The blueline that should be top 5 in the league looks nowhere close. I am also concerned that Sam Bennett will never take a step with GG as coach. He doesnt seem like the guy this team will win with.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 11:04 PM   #1210
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Did the flames have their Christmas party last night or something?

20 shots? I mean, I don't know how you start with the coach in a game like that.

When was the last time the flames had 20 shots in a game? Anyone know?
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 04:34 AM   #1211
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gg=ng
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 06:20 AM   #1212
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post

20 shots? I mean, I don't know how you start with the coach in a game like that.

The issue I have with GG is time and time again under him it seems the Flames are not prepared to play the game. Some of that is on the players but having the team ready to go is a huge responsibility of the coach and Glen does a poor job of this.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 06:36 AM   #1213
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Glen won't be coach much longer if he can't get them cemented in a playoff spot. The leash has to be getting shorter.
icecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 07:09 AM   #1214
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I expect the Flames to beat the Coyotes, if they lose to the Oilers on Saturday I think management lets him go. That brings them just past the 25 game mark where another coach can come in and still salvage the season.

Does anyone know if Dave Tippet is still on good terms with Treliving and Mahoney? If GG gets let go I expect him to be the next coach.
kukkudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 07:29 AM   #1215
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kukkudo View Post
I expect the Flames to beat the Coyotes, if they lose to the Oilers on Saturday I think management lets him go. That brings them just past the 25 game mark where another coach can come in and still salvage the season.

Does anyone know if Dave Tippet is still on good terms with Treliving and Mahoney? If GG gets let go I expect him to be the next coach.
GG is Treliving's man. he fired Heartly to bring in his pick.
like Mctavish and Eakin, they're tied to each other.

If Treliving has to fire his coach, do you think he'd then be on the hot seat? especially as some of his recent transactions haven't panned out and the lack of upcoming draft picks ?
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 07:31 AM   #1216
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post

If Treliving has to fire his coach, do you think he'd then be on the hot seat? especially as some of his recent transactions haven't panned out and the lack of upcoming draft picks ?
Hartley wasn't Treliving's hire. This is only his first coach, I expect he'll get a few more swings at it. Most GMs do.

That being said, if the choice is Gulutzan or Tippett then I hope the Flames stay the course.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 07:40 AM   #1217
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post

Most GM's get atleast get two coaches of there choosing.
kukkudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 07:57 AM   #1218
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

And we will be Oilers bad, probably worse. You want to bring in one of the most overrated coaches in NHL history who has a terrible coaching record and implements a system that generates little to no offence to coach this team? Jesus...
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 08:02 AM   #1219
smoothskatingbrodie
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post

They probably had more shots at the Christmas Party
smoothskatingbrodie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to smoothskatingbrodie For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2017, 08:06 AM   #1220
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

I’m baffled at how you came to this conclusion. There has been no rumors of GG being on the hot seat at all.

And you think if our record is 14-11-1 by this weekend they fire him? I don’t see it
bax is offline   Reply With Quote