Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2017, 10:34 AM   #801
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsaini View Post
Watched the Lightning Vs Sharks game last night and was really impressed with the way the lightning play! They're fast, up-tempo, and always pressuring the opponent to force a turnover.

After watching the game, I'm more in agreement to fire GG. We play slow, give opposition too much space to make plays, little to no pressure on the puck carrier, and very little offence. Also, benching prospects in favour of vets. The new NHL is fast and in your face, something Calgary has moved away from. We need more speed in our lineup and more pressure to the puck carrier, with at least 1 other player supporting.

We need a mix of Hartley's system with the speed and pressure, with GG's heavy possession system to be dominant in this league. Just don't know which coach is available that brings those elements to our team if GG was to leave.
It also helps if you have the talent level the TBL have up front.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2017, 10:39 AM   #802
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

To be honest, the first half or more of that canuck game, i saw a flames Defense that played the way i think we all assumed they would going into the season. Tight gaps at their blue line, limiting any real time and space for the puck carrier, and immediately moving the puck FORWARD once it was won back.

Too many times this season, i feel that they give up the zone and then spend most of the time circling around in their own zone trying to get the puck back. When they finally do, forget fast breakouts, it's a d to d pass behind the net, and a break out starting at no speed, with the opposition in a fully controlled setup waiting for them.

I hated the hartley defensive structure also, however, i did enjoy the team's ability to transition when they did win the puck. We have a lot of skill players who can do damage on the rush, especially when you look at the d core. The flames look slow because they play such a controlled game once they win the puck back, it doesn't allow high speed transition and chances off the rush.

Fundamentally, i think Gulutzan has a game plan he wishes to play, and when executed it's proven it can be successful. My issue is that there isn't much of a tolerance level, in that, if the team isn't able to play the strategy to a T, either due to the opposition's play or the flames not being as sharp as required, they look pretty average to awful.

Other than that, my only complaints would be the brodie/versteeg pairing on the top PP unit, and perhaps the use of lines/pairings (ie. overplaying the 4th line and 3rd pairing).

The next big question mark in my mind for this coaching staff will be how long they go with this lack of depth scoring and how they try to rectify it. If they are too rigid in their line combos, and feel that solving the 3rd/4th lines by simply juggling the 3rd/4th line players i will be greatly disappointed. If the depth scoring doesn't kick in by game 20, i firmly believe it is time to break up the 3M line in an attempt to better distribute skill/confidence across the 2nd & 3rd lines.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 10:46 AM   #803
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Tampa has a 10.71% shooting percentage through 16 games which is very unsustainable. Love their talent but they're the poster children for getting bounces in the first six weeks of the season.

So not sure how much of the offence is coaching and how much is a hot start.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 10:48 AM   #804
kevman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I think this has a bit more to do with it than people want to admit. I believe the Flames have the top line talent to compete with anybody but after that things trail off quick. Even the 3M line struggles to light the lamp despite being one of the better possession and shut down lines in hockey. So outside of the 1st line the entire team doesn't have the horses the fans like to believe.

I may be in the minority here but I don't think the Flames are as great on paper as some others believe. This isn't a situation where GG has a Stanley Cup contender line up and he's failing to live up to expectations. He's got a playoff team line up and that's the pace they're on.
kevman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to kevman For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2017, 10:53 AM   #805
kevman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
If the depth scoring doesn't kick in by game 20, i firmly believe it is time to break up the 3M line in an attempt to better distribute skill/confidence across the 2nd & 3rd lines.
I mean look the Oilers. They refuse to split up their only two guys and look where it's got them.

I think it's time to let Tkachuk run his own line. He leads the 3M line in scoring. He's the driver of that line, not a passenger. If Janko/Bennett can't find some confidence in the next few games you absolutely have to look at swapping Bennet and Tkachuk. I know it's tough to break up your shut down line and even tougher to imagine Bennet on that line but something has to give.
Old 11-09-2017, 10:58 AM   #806
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Tampa has a 10.71% shooting percentage through 16 games which is very unsustainable. Love their talent but they're the poster children for getting bounces in the first six weeks of the season.

Is 10.7 that unsustainable? Doesn't seem like an insanely high number.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 10:58 AM   #807
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:

Agreed its time to split the 3M line. Tkachuk can generate offense from the 3rd line and Bennett can play shutdown since he can't score anyways.

In keeping with the thread topic, I think Gulutzan has the team playing well. They've lost a couple that they 'should' have won but if they play like they have been lately they will be in the dance at year end. And I don't think they're an easy out either.
puckedoff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 11:04 AM   #808
FlamesFanTrev
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Watched the Lightning Vs Sharks game last night and was really impressed with the way the lightning play! They're fast, up-tempo, and always pressuring the opponent to force a turnover.

After watching the game, I'm more in agreement to fire GG. We play slow, give opposition too much space to make plays, little to no pressure on the puck carrier, and very little offence. Also, benching prospects in favour of vets. The new NHL is fast and in your face, something Calgary has moved away from. We need more speed in our lineup and more pressure to the puck carrier, with at least 1 other player supporting.

We need a mix of Hartley's system with the speed and pressure, with GG's heavy possession system to be dominant in this league. Just don't know which coach is available that brings those elements to our team if GG was to leave.
Better yet, why don't we just take the best parts of every coaches system and combine it to make it an UNBEATABLE Mecha-Uber-System?!? I kid of course. I've just seen a few posts like this lately. It just doesn't work like that in the real world, though. Hartley's possession number were terrible because they focused on their speed and stretch passes. Gully's system focuses on puck possession, control, and zone entries, which compromises speed. Trying to blend these things together is going to leave you with a team with no identity, kinda like Arizona.

I still think that Gully's system is more sustainable long term. Hartley initially caught the competition off guard, but the following year, every team in the league had adjusted to it.
FlamesFanTrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 11:06 AM   #809
kevman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
Is 10.7 that unsustainable? Doesn't seem like an insanely high number.
I think they're actually at 12.52% this season.

Last year the Caps led the league at 10.46%
2015/16 Dallas 10.09%
2014/15 Tampa 10.67% (Calgary #2 with 10.52%)
2013/14 Anaheim 10.24% (Avs #2 with 10.12%)

So yeah, Tampas shooting percentage is pretty unsustainable at the moment. They do however historically have a good shooting percentage so it's not crazy to assume they'll be at the top of the league again this season.
The Following User Says Thank You to kevman For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2017, 11:10 AM   #810
Frank MetaMusil
RANDOM USER TITLE CHANGE

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesFanTrev View Post
I still think that Gully's system is more sustainable long term. Hartley initially caught the competition off guard, but the following year, every team in the league had adjusted to it.
Either system fails without goaltending. Hartley had none, GG had it for a bit in Elliott, and now Smith.
Frank MetaMusil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 11:12 AM   #811
FlamesFanTrev
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevman View Post
I think they're actually at 12.52% this season.

Last year the Caps led the league at 10.46%
2015/16 Dallas 10.09%
2014/15 Tampa 10.67% (Calgary #2 with 10.52%)
2013/14 Anaheim 10.24% (Avs #2 with 10.12%)

So yeah, Tampas shooting percentage is pretty unsustainable at the moment. They do however historically have a good shooting percentage so it's not crazy to assume they'll be at the top of the league again this season.
Just had a thought, has the average shooting percentage across the league gone up this year, with all the extra scoring and slashing penalties, or has it just affected the number of shots, resulting in more goals? Anyone know the details on this, or a good resource to check this out?
Old 11-09-2017, 11:19 AM   #812
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post

And don't forget that Stamkos hasn't had his yearly injury yet. You know its coming.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 11:23 AM   #813
kevman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesFanTrev View Post
Just had a thought, has the average shooting percentage across the league gone up this year, with all the extra scoring and slashing penalties, or has it just affected the number of shots, resulting in more goals? Anyone know the details on this, or a good resource to check this out?
I assumed it would go down because of the push to count more shots this year? (Or did I make that up?)

Anyway, here's what I can tell for historic league wide shooting percentage:

2013/14 - 8.90%
2014/15 - 8.90%
2015/16 - 8.98%
2016/17 - 9.00%
2017/18 - 9.49%

So yes, to date shooting percentage is up this year in the NHL. But that would only explain 6% of Tampas shooting percentage increase not the full 20%.

As for resource, I get my numbers from naturalstattrick.com. Easy to export data into excel and come to your own conclusion.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kevman For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2017, 11:50 AM   #814
FlamesFanTrev
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevman View Post
I assumed it would go down because of the push to count more shots this year? (Or did I make that up?)

Anyway, here's what I can tell for historic league wide shooting percentage:

2013/14 - 8.90%
2014/15 - 8.90%
2015/16 - 8.98%
2016/17 - 9.00%
2017/18 - 9.49%

So yes, to date shooting percentage is up this year in the NHL. But that would only explain 6% of Tampas shooting percentage increase not the full 20%.

As for resource, I get my numbers from naturalstattrick.com. Easy to export data into excel and come to your own conclusion.
Much obliged!
Old 11-09-2017, 12:04 PM   #815
samsaini
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
You take out Stamkos and Kuch and we're way ahead in regards to talent level. It's a matter of playing to their potential and not sacrificing their skill in order to play a certain way. Play to the players strengths and we're really well off.

Quote:
It just doesn't work like that in the real world, though. Hartley's possession number were terrible because they focused on their speed and stretch passes. Gully's system focuses on puck possession, control, and zone entries, which compromises speed. Trying to blend these things together is going to leave you with a team with no identity, kinda like Arizona.
I'm sure there are ways for coaches to work on their strategies so they don't compromise too much speed for possession. There have been many games this year, and even last year, where we have had majority of the possession throughout the game but have looked bad and lost.

Tre didn't bring in GG to give up speed and have possession, but to transition that speed with the possession game. And I just don't see it, it always feels like something is missing with his system. His system just doesn't feel complete.
samsaini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 12:10 PM   #816
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank MetaMusil View Post
Either system fails without goaltending. Hartley had none, GG had it for a bit in Elliott, and now Smith.
Hartley had OK goaltending the year they got in and won a round and then crap goaltending the next year. From the same goalies.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 12:13 PM   #817
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Hiller was hardly the same from 2014-15 to 2015-16

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 12:16 PM   #818
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You take out Stamkos and Kuch and we're way ahead in regards to talent level. It's a matter of playing to their potential and not sacrificing their skill in order to play a certain way. Play to the players strengths and we're really well off.

I'm sure there are ways for coaches to work on their strategies so they don't compromise too much speed for possession. There have been many games this year, and even last year, where we have had majority of the possession throughout the game but have looked bad and lost.

Tre didn't bring in GG to give up speed and have possession, but to transition that speed with the possession game. And I just don't see it, it always feels like something is missing with his system. His system just doesn't feel complete.
If you are going to take away those two players from the Bolts you need to take away the Flames two best players too
Jiri Hrdina is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2017, 12:17 PM   #819
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Hiller was hardly the same from 2014-15 to 2015-16
That he was the same guy, that played way differently, is my point.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 12:31 PM   #820
samsaini
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild GM View Post
If you are going to take away those two players from the Bolts you need to take away the Flames two best players too
Okay that's fair, we take out Johnny and Monahan, and I still think we have a pretty even team compared to lightning (besides Stamkos & Kuch).
But my point still stands that our coaching has not been on par with what expectations were from the hiring. We're very inconsistent and have no identity of our own.

Games where we look like we're gonna lose, we win, and the games where we look like we're gonna win, we lose lol.

Don't know who's gonna have less hair by the end of the season, Getzlaf or me
samsaini is offline   Reply With Quote