Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2018, 12:07 PM   #4561
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

I see two options for Treliving.

If he keeps Gulutzan and they don’t make the second round next year, it’s almost a certainty they will both be let go.

If he hires a new coach I think he buys himself employment with the Flames for at least 2-3 seasons.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 12:08 PM   #4562
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Lets be honest here. Elliott Friedman really doesn't know anything other than what people tell him. We shouldn't put a whole lot of stock into his speculation.

This coach is gone.
Thank you!!! I cannot handle hearing those media mouthpiece defending Gulutzan anymore.
Old 04-06-2018, 12:13 PM   #4563
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well of course I'd expect Treliving to be struggling with the coaching decision! Gulutzan is HIS guy. To can him would be admitting that:

a.) "The process" is flawed
b.) His vision for the team was not appropriate to personnel
c.) His biggest stamp and influence on the team was a complete failure

Not easy things for a GM to fess up to, particularly since A and B have to do with his desire to be smarter than everyone else. Something I thought we'd bucked by canning Feaster and Weisbrod. But he's not completely stubborn and unwilling to admit mistakes. Tre's already bought out some bad contracts that he put the ink to, so I expect canning Gulutzan will come sooner than later.
Old 04-06-2018, 12:25 PM   #4564
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaskal View Post
Well of course I'd expect Treliving to be struggling with the coaching decision! Gulutzan is HIS guy.
I can see this for sure if he really was his guy.

Internally they know if that is true, or if the guy they wanted was picked up/not available and they settled for Gulutzan. It’s easier to cut GG loose if they settled (which I kind of think happened).
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 12:41 PM   #4565
Drunk Uncle
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I really don't mind the 5 v 5 offensive system but it strikes me that if you have a system intended to generate a lot of shots many of which are low quality you have to put an emphasis on getting traffic to the net for tips and rebounds. I certainly didn't see enough of that from the Flames players this year not named Tkachuk.

Defensively, we didn't give up many chances but it felt like every chance we did give up was a 10 bell chance. Whether that comes from over aggression or a bad system is hard for me to tell but whatever it is needs to be adjusted.

Additionally, the Flames don't hit a lot or block a lot of shots. Again, this could be on the coach or the players, it's hard for me to tell but I'm sure if we had a team selling out by hitting everything that moves, blocking shots, fighting to the front of the net to screen goalies and smashing in rebounds, we all would have been a lot more entertained by the on-ice product even if the shots we took were low quality to start with.

Whether these details are being left out by the coaching staff or the players refuse to execute I can't tell, but I think all of the above are fixable by the current coaching staff.

What I don't think is fixable and will ultimately lead to GG being fired, is the lack of in-game decision making and game-to-game line-up adjustments we saw this year. I've seen a lot of people use different words to describe this but I like to call it roster sense. I'm not convinced roster sense like hockey sense can be taught. If done right coaches can maximize their roster and expose the soft underbelly of opposing teams while putting players in positions to succeed. I think it is one of the biggest factors of getting into the playoffs and especially winning in the playoffs and the biggest reason the coaching staff should be let go.

I'd prefer someone like AV brought in. The systems are somewhat similar but AV is known for having good roster sense and while he's always had good rosters to work with, I still think he knows how to manipulate his roster in game and game-to-game to put your team in the best position to win. The added bonus is the d-zone would be tighter and he doesn't seem to put the brakes on letting offensive players be offensive.
Drunk Uncle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Drunk Uncle For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2018, 01:22 PM   #4566
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
I see two options for Treliving.

If he keeps Gulutzan and they don’t make the second round next year, it’s almost a certainty they will both be let go.

If he hires a new coach I think he buys himself employment with the Flames for at least 2-3 seasons.
If he hires a new coach his leash is just as tight if not tighter since the team would be paying for 2 coaches next year. If he hires a new coach thst team better be in the playoffs or he is gone.

I agree with your Gulutzan assessment though. If he stands by his man he will fall with him
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 02:10 PM   #4567
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto-matic View Post
I think you'll see a clear house after the next week or two. If you wait until the playoffs is over some of the bigger catch coaches will probably be gone and we'll be stuck with another GG type coach.
Not only that, don't you want the new coach to have enough time to analyse things before free agency and the draft, not that we will participate much in the draft at this point.

I personally don't want GG putting a further stamp on the Flames in any way, shape, or form.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to redforever For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2018, 06:13 PM   #4568
mikeecho
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
If he hires a new coach his leash is just as tight if not tighter since the team would be paying for 2 coaches next year. If he hires a new coach thst team better be in the playoffs or he is gone.

I agree with your Gulutzan assessment though. If he stands by his man he will fall with him
It's been speculated by some in media including Steinberg that Gulutzan has a 2 year contract + a team option for a third. If that's the case, they won't be paying 2 coaches.

EDIT: and let's be honest, GG is one of the lowest paid coaches in the league so even if he had a 3 year deal, the financial obligations would hardly be enough to lose much sleep on.

Last edited by mikeecho; 04-06-2018 at 06:15 PM.
mikeecho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mikeecho For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2018, 07:10 PM   #4569
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeecho View Post
It's been speculated by some in media including Steinberg that Gulutzan has a 2 year contract + a team option for a third. If that's the case, they won't be paying 2 coaches.

EDIT: and let's be honest, GG is one of the lowest paid coaches in the league so even if he had a 3 year deal, the financial obligations would hardly be enough to lose much sleep on.
Francis said during an intermission last week he has another year on his deal but also mentioned he is among the lowest paid coaches

I think the coaching staff is gone and the team makes 1-2 significant roster changes in the summer as well as several smaller depth moves.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 12:01 AM   #4570
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder how much Cameron is being paid as an assistant, considering he was a (recent) former head coach.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 07:13 AM   #4571
tkflames
First Line Centre

Exp:

May tonight be the last time we watch this dud look down at his iPad.
Old 04-07-2018, 07:39 AM   #4572
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Lets be honest here. Elliott Friedman really doesn't know anything other than what people tell him. We shouldn't put a whole lot of stock into his speculation.

This coach is gone.
It's not Friedmans speculation I'm worried about, it's the local media pretty much saying the same thing. Then on the other hand ,there is a poster who said his credible source told him GG could be fired as early as Monday . I'm hoping incognito is correct and not the media.
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kyuss275 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2018, 10:31 PM   #4573
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I find it interesting whenever the Flames string some wins together this thread disappears but as soon as they lose one game it is at the top of the page.
Hi!

Just checked in on the game and I'm f-ing flabbergasted. The Flames are winning what, their second in 10 games? Thanks, Mulletzan. What'd ya do? Whatever it was, you should have thought of it months ago.

Buh bye!

Say hi to Corsi!

4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post: