Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2018, 02:22 PM   #141
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
I dunno, I can't really get behind this since I have no idea what you're saying.
Corrected... Should be able to get that point straight out.
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 02:39 PM   #142
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Yes. What a jerk he is for investigating every possible option for upgrading the team now and into the future.
I'd like to see how this team plays in front of the goalies the Flames have right now. Seems like the Flames is always searching for the holy grail in one or two positions and get blindsided on other areas before the whole team falls apart.

I think the Flames are better off building the a more resilient team up front with depth in scoring than getting a goalie that might win games for the team. Chances are more likely that the goalie maybe able to win a dozen or so games at most out of an 82 game season. The team itself has to win more than that to get into the playoffs. I don't believe a quest for a goalie every year makes any sense at all.
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 03:06 PM   #143
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you want to go with a Matt Murray/Martin Jones type acquisition then maybe Garrett Sparks is your guy.

Unbelievable numbers in the AHL and being blocked by Frederik Andersen for the next 5 years IIRC.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 03:09 PM   #144
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
If you want to go with a Matt Murray/Martin Jones type acquisition then maybe Garrett Sparks is your guy.

Unbelievable numbers in the AHL and being blocked by Frederik Andersen for the next 5 years IIRC.
No thanks to a Toronto trade for a hot goalie prospect. The hype machine would ratchet right up to space if he was rumoured to be available, and the Leafs would wisely wait for the hype to push the cost up.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 03:19 PM   #145
Imported_Aussie
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post

His stats 2 years ago are comparable to Rittich that season. I wonder how much of his killer year last year was down to being on a dominant team?

Both Rittich and Gillies have put up good years in the AHL, so going to another guy who has only really performed at that level is both a risk and a snub to the guys in the system. Sure Sparks has done this year over year, but he did not do well in his NHL stint and if he was a guy they wanted in the NHL the leafs would trade McBackup

I think if you make a trade for a goaltender it has to be a guy with an NHL track record or a "can't miss" prospect with at lest good numbers in limited NHL time (or other pro league)

Last edited by Imported_Aussie; 08-15-2018 at 03:22 PM.
Imported_Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 03:19 PM   #146
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
No thanks to a Toronto trade for a hot goalie prospect. The hype machine would ratchet right up to space if he was rumoured to be available, and the Leafs would wisely wait for the hype to push the cost up.
Do you actually believe that fan-manufactured hype has any perceptible impact on the feelings of most NHL GMs? Sure, it works on the dim-wits of managers like Jim Benning, Craig MacTavish and Peter Chiarelli, but I venture to think the rest are basically impervious to such nonsense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2018, 03:21 PM   #147
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSharp View Post
I'd like to see how this team plays in front of the goalies the Flames have right now. Seems like the Flames is always searching for the holy grail in one or two positions and get blindsided on other areas before the whole team falls apart.

I think the Flames are better off building the a more resilient team up front with depth in scoring than getting a goalie that might win games for the team. Chances are more likely that the goalie maybe able to win a dozen or so games at most out of an 82 game season. The team itself has to win more than that to get into the playoffs. I don't believe a quest for a goalie every year makes any sense at all.
I tend to agree, but let's be clear that rumours about Treliving kicking tires or making phone calls is not the same thing as him actively going out and finding an upgrade in net to start in the Fall. He is doing his due diligence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 03:24 PM   #148
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Treliving wants a young goalie who is ready to be a starter. He wants one with NHL time. And a good chunk of it. Thus, Saros.

If he were to go out and get Sparks, why not just stand pat with Rittich & Gillies who have spent roughly the same amount of time in the NHL? Makes no sense.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2018, 03:29 PM   #149
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Do you actually believe that fan-manufactured hype has any perceptible impact on the feelings of most NHL GMs? Sure, it works on the dim-wits of managers like Jim Benning, Craig MacTavish and Peter Chiarelli, but I venture to think the rest are basically impervious to such nonsense.
I believe that Toronto star/prospects tend to benefit from local and national media going crazy and driving huge hype around the idea of a significant Leafs player being available.

And yes, I do believe this factors in league wide with GM's, to what degree I don't know.

*I didn't mean to imply that fan manufactured hype would matter if that's how it came off, just media.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 03:38 PM   #150
Imported_Aussie
First Line Centre

Exp:

Saros is pretty close to untouchable IMO.
Rinne has 1 year left, they just signed Saros to a bridge. If anything, this year they start to transition to Saros and then bring in a vet backup/tandem option and with the cap hit saved, re-sign Fiala and Hartman and still have money to spare.

What is the hole on their team to win this year that the Flames can fill? This is a team that likely looks for scoring depth at deadline and doesn't need to make a trade now
Imported_Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 03:44 PM   #151
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Treliving wants a young goalie who is ready to be a starter. He wants one with NHL time. And a good chunk of it. Thus, Saros.

If he were to go out and get Sparks, why not just stand pat with Rittich & Gillies who have spent roughly the same amount of time in the NHL? Makes no sense.
Well for one, Sparks has dominated the AHL for two seasons now and capped it off with the AHL goalie of the year award. These were his 23 and 24 year old seasons.

You dont stick with mediocrity if you can acquire a better option just because the mediocre goalies have the same amount of time in the AHL.

THAT is what makes no sense. Thats like saying we should have kept Brouwer jnstead of signing Neal because they have roughly the same amount of time in the NHL.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 03:51 PM   #152
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

What can I say, I'm not sold on Sparks.

Those Marlies teams weren't exactly run of the mill AHL squads.

Meanwhile Gillies & Rittich were playing for, well, the Stockton Heat.

One team was assembled to win the Calder Cup. The other wasn't.

Ultimately it doesn't matter what I think about Sparks. Treliving was rumored to be looking at Saros.

Last edited by Toonage; 08-15-2018 at 03:53 PM.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 04:01 PM   #153
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Carey Price makes a little sense as the Flames need someone for their window but that contract is an absolute no go.

A deal that makes sense to me on paper is Janko+Smith+Gillies

It gets them a center they desperately need, Smith is a rental trwde chip for them, and Gillies could be a goalie of the future. The Habs need to eat at least $3M per on that deal.

I don’t see 30 year old+ goalies coming off injury with an 8 year deal commanding more in a trade.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 04:06 PM   #154
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

A deal for Carey Price would have to be built around Tkachuk or Monahan. You're not getting him for scraps.

And if we're talking 50% salary retained, it's Monahan ++
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 04:13 PM   #155
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
A deal for Carey Price would have to be built around Tkachuk or Monahan. You're not getting him for scraps.

And if we're talking 50% salary retained, it's Monahan ++
If Montreal retained...they are not getting a massive return with that contract
Old 08-15-2018, 04:23 PM   #156
FlamesFanTrev
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I heard this guy is avaliable, but its a bit of a reclamation project.

Spoiler!
FlamesFanTrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 04:24 PM   #157
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron_fdc View Post
I would LOVE to get Price in here, but to take on that contract it would have to be either salary retained or at a decent trade price.

Montreal fans would burn down the Bell Center if he isn't traded for a Kings ransom, so for that reason alone I doubt he goes anywhere anytime soon. Tabernac, if Montreal lost another tendy to a team who went out and won a cup with him they would quite literally riot.
I can't believe I never noticed the obvious joke in Habernac's username.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2018, 04:32 PM   #158
Hey Connor, It's Mess
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesFanTrev View Post
I heard this guy is avaliable, but its a bit of a reclamation project.

Spoiler!
Holy ####
Hey Connor, It's Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 04:39 PM   #159
FlamesFanTrev
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey Connor, It's Mess View Post
Holy ####
39 years old.....that's tough living
FlamesFanTrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 04:50 PM   #160
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I tend to agree, but let's be clear that rumours about Treliving kicking tires or making phone calls is not the same thing as him actively going out and finding an upgrade in net to start in the Fall. He is doing his due diligence.
Truth is we don’t know what he is doing. No doubt the goaltending situation is about the most interesting thing to discuss right now.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote