Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2018, 10:32 PM   #21
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, I think Tkachuk will be teaching his puck possession style in his latter years. I agree with ac is that his secret is to freeze, force the defender to make the first move then react. Ben Roethlisberger is great at this, avoiding so much contact with barely any movement.

If sam can learn to be a bit more like bait prey it would serve him well!
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 11:22 PM   #22
Jeff Lebowski
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The highlights featuring Jagr had some great plays. The level was very good and it’s very disappointing we couldn’t have seen it the entire year. Bennett’s skillset is vast - he can play it anyway, finesse, physical etc.

As others have mentioned, I’m really looking forward to seeing him play with more skilled linemates. I think once he gets confidence his game will get to the level he expects.

-There were a few clips of Bennett - Backlund - Tkachuk with some great plays too. I’m so excited with the improved forward depth, so many intriguing possibilities.
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 12:14 AM   #23
H2SO4(aq)
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Hits, blocks, scrums, defensive plays, nice passes/plays that don't lead to goals, and a marathon fight.

It's similar to how you commented in the Gio video that I included so many good defensive plays. There's more to a player than goals and assists.
Thank you for the vids and thank you for the rational. We all need to take a step back sometimes and really assess what we see. And no disrespect to Cali, seems like a really dece guy.
H2SO4(aq) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 06:20 AM   #24
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Came in for lame "this ought to be short" joke. Left happily surprised.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2018, 12:06 PM   #25
Gaudreau is a Ninja
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Hits, blocks, scrums, defensive plays, nice passes/plays that don't lead to goals, and a marathon fight.

It's similar to how you commented in the Gio video that I included so many good defensive plays. There's more to a player than goals and assists.
Thx again AC! I forgot how many nice rushes/plays didn't end up in goals with Bennett and Janko. There is SO much more to hockey then just showing the goals and assists. Some pretty big time hits and some decent scraps for Bennett. Thx AC for showing ALL the highlights!
Calgary Flames #1 St. Louis Cardinals #1
Gaudreau is a Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gaudreau is a Ninja For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2018, 01:15 PM   #26
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
Eh, there was 2 or 3 in the first 5 minutes that I wasn't sure what he did, can't remember exactly where. There were another couple later that seemed like routine defensive plays. Just my opinion though. Not telling you how to do your work.

Sorry, I really don't mean to seem critical here.
There are some plays where it might /seem/ that way. Tkachuk's breakaway was an example. But re-watch it and you see his center Bennett throwing a perfect stretch pass to create the breakaway. Time for puck on stick wasn't very long but it was an excellent play with zero reward because Tkachuk didn't score.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
AC
Old 08-13-2018, 01:21 PM   #27
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
There are some plays where it might /seem/ that way. Tkachuk's breakaway was an example. But re-watch it and you see his center Bennett throwing a perfect stretch pass to create the breakaway. Time for puck on stick wasn't very long but it was an excellent play with zero reward because Tkachuk didn't score.
That's the one I was guessing was being overlooked, which is funny because it was one of my favourite clips in the whole video.

Bennett intercepts the pass to Carter, then makes a pretty incredible diving pass knocking the puck away from Doughty for the 2-on-1.

https://youtu.be/BIbnxoRTG4k?t=100 for the timestamp.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 01:39 PM   #28
DJones
First Line Centre

Exp:

It's amazing how it's not just Bennett with no finish. But everyone he passes too with a wide open shot can't finish either.

Hoping he can turn a corner this year.
DJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 01:52 PM   #29
pepper24
Franchise Player

Exp:

Must be an easy video to make for highlights when you can skip over the first 20 games
pepper24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 03:09 PM   #30
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That's the one I was guessing was being overlooked, which is funny because it was one of my favourite clips in the whole video.

Bennett intercepts the pass to Carter, then makes a pretty incredible diving pass knocking the puck away from Doughty for the 2-on-1.

https://youtu.be/BIbnxoRTG4k?t=100 for the timestamp.

We were actually thinking of different plays, though I agree with you that one's awesome. Here's the timestamp of the one I had in mind:

https://youtu.be/BIbnxoRTG4k?t=2m25s

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 08-13-2018 at 03:14 PM.
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2018, 03:13 PM   #31
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

If you watch the whole video I don't know how you can come out of it and not be a fan of Bennett.

He plays fast, hard and with jump every shift. He has all the tools to be a difference maker he just needs to put it all together. He has speed, finesse, grit, playmaking and shooting ability; I don't know how anyone can not like the kid.

I know his 2nd and 3rd seasons were a disappointment after his impressive playoff run followed by his successful rookie season but the guy just turned 22.

He was the 2nd youngest player on the team last year that had rookies in Hathaway, Kulak, Jankowski and Rittich make the team.

He's 2 months younger than Mangiapane who is one of our top 2 forward prospects as well as being younger and proving more at the NHL level than Lazar, Czarnik, Foo, Klimchuk and Shinkaruk. We still have high hopes for at least 2 players on that list so why would it be any different for Bennett?

I personally really like the young group of NHL forwards we have in Gaudreau, Monahan, Tkachuk, Lindholm, Bennett and Jankowski. I also think players like Czarnik, Dube, Mangiapane and Foo could add to this group as well.

My favorite clip from that video was the Bennett-Tkachuk-Jankowski tic-tac-toe goal.

I really like the idea of those three playing together one day.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm
Bennett-Jankowski-Tkachuk
Frolik-Backlund-Neal

Jankowski and Bennett developing into top 6 players really propels the team into top contender status so long as defense and goaltending hold up their end.
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SeanCharles For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2018, 08:50 AM   #32
UKflames
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I really think that Bennett is going to end up as one of your old school style power forwards. He has the hitting and that does get him into trouble with the silly penalties that he takes. He has the shooting and passing ability but they are just not going in at the moment, either for him or his linemates.

Power forwards traditionally also take longer to develop and round out their game, which I think is where young Sam is at. The penny is going to drop very soon and he is going to take off in a big way. With both him and Byng on the team, complimenting the skilled players we are going to be a force.
UKflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 08:58 AM   #33
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJones View Post
It's amazing how it's not just Bennett with no finish. But everyone he passes too with a wide open shot can't finish either.

Hoping he can turn a corner this year.
After watching some of this I do have some renewed hope that he can at least be a solid third line energy player for this team if he doesn't improve his finesse game to a level that will allow him to provide more goals and assists.

On the other side of the coin there were several instances in the video where I asked myself how did he not score there? Call it unlucky or not but some of it is just plain old missing gift wrapped chances and that is still concerning as a fan.
Old 08-15-2018, 12:34 AM   #34
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

No more Hathaway on that line, please.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 08:00 AM   #35
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
No more Hathaway on that line, please.
What about Lazar?
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 03:35 PM   #36
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

I find it so weird that 10 of his 15 points was in that 14 game stretch in December. Blows me away with how unproductive he was the rest of the season. That is a glimpse of what I think Bennett can be if he is playing with confidence. I really want him to put it together.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 03:52 PM   #37
The Boy Wonder
First Line Centre

Exp:

Thanks for the video AC.

I was a strong advocate for Bennett all season and this really does show that he was actually doing good things on the ice and feels slightly vindicating

Hoping we can look back at the GG years as a total waste by a terrible head coach and watch bennett thrive

Bennett with the puck and the little moves he can make in tight spaces in the corners is really the highlight for me. Goal at 5:25 mark where he builds up the whole play along the boards but ultimately doesn't get on the score sheet was a great example of this board play

Last edited by The Boy Wonder; 08-15-2018 at 03:55 PM.
The Boy Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 04:18 PM   #38
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

There is a lot to like about Sam Bennett.

Something that I find bizarre is that for a guy who looks as good on his edges as he does in this highlight package he sure does fall down a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 04:38 PM   #39
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

PS Brodie is up next based on the poll results, then Rookies (anything I have for Andersson, Foo, Gillies, Hathaway, Lomberg, Mangiapane, and Rittich).
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2018, 04:48 PM   #40
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Great video as always. You can point to Bennett's young age, and on the flip side, can also point to his games played. I'm of the opinion that he'll develop into a good energy forward who causes his opponents grief on the forecheck but remain very skeptical that he'll become the player that many had him pegged at as a 4th overall pick during his draft.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote