Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2018, 09:04 PM   #1781
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

It is hard, but I witnessed a 59 during the ATB a few years ago.
Old 08-11-2018, 12:39 AM   #1782
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
Sirocco is such a test. It was in fine shape.

Only downside is the area around the second and third holes is being developed, so it is noisy.
Not to mention it’s a million miles south. Who the he’ll wants to go south of downtown in this city?

I can drive to kananaskis in the same time.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 06:17 AM   #1783
2ArmBands
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Not to mention it’s a million miles south. Who the he’ll wants to go south of downtown in this city?

I can drive to kananaskis in the same time.
Ohhh I don’t know maybe the over half million people that live there?
2ArmBands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 06:19 AM   #1784
AltaGuy
AltaGuy has a magnetic personality and exudes positive energy, which is infectious to those around him. He has an unparalleled ability to communicate with people, whether he is speaking to a room of three or an arena of 30,000.

Exp:

Playing all 27 at the Manoir Richelieu in Quebec tomorrow - can’t wait. Been on my bucket list in this province for awhile, and I love exploring new courses.

AltaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to AltaGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2018, 09:20 AM   #1785
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ wow that looks awesome.

For me sirocco is an easy drive as I live in the Deep South. Kaninaskis, is a big drive.

I should have also noted the greens at sirocco we’re pretty fast.
Old 08-11-2018, 09:49 AM   #1786
FCAV
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Any recommendations/preferences on where to get clubs re-gripped?
FCAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 01:44 PM   #1787
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

An article worth reading if you're into that kind of thing.

http://www.friedegg.co/golf-courses/...try-club-jones

Quote:
Like most Jones courses, Bellerive is artificial and predictable. Everything is a stunt predicated upon the complete fiction that par actually matters. The problem actually gets worse over time as players and/or technology improve. Soon, the “well-placed” hazard doesn’t trap good players. It only traps the high handicappers. This is the problem that Bellerive faced in the early 2000s. Elite PGA players simply were not going to find the water and bunkers as much as they had in the past. Bellerive’s stature as a “hard” test of golf for the professional game waned. So how do you “restore” a course whose only design feature is difficulty? Apparently you hire Rees Jones. In 2005, Rees lengthened the course, deepened bunkers, and added undulation to the greens. History repeats itself.

---

This week’s PGA will provide a look at the misguided past of golf course architecture. Bellerive is a test that asks the same question 18 times, can you hit it straight? Mother Nature hasn’t done it any favors, but at its core it’s simple thoughtless target golf. This year’s other major venues (Augusta, Shinnecock, Carnoustie) showed that natural topography, strategic bunkers and interesting green complexes can befuddle the world’s best players. Bellerive’s land could yield a championship test like this, but it lacks the architectural genius that the other three venues exude. Its rolling topography was manipulated and flattened to create even fairway lies. Hole after hole features bunkers and hazards on each side, leaving no doubt as to what the line is off the tee. The benign green complexes and surrounding areas make the penalty for any miss a small one. Scores will be low, creative shotmaking scarce, this is major.

I get frustrated when I hear about people talking about how scores are too low in certain tournaments. I don't like that the USGA insists on having Par as a worthwhile benchmark for a winning score. Some low scores are boring because the course is boring. Some low scores are exciting because the course allows it to be exciting. Do the Masters become more compelling if scores are artificially raised by making #2 and #13 difficult Par 4s instead of scoring Par 5s? I can't possibly see how.
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 09:08 PM   #1788
2ArmBands
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCAV View Post
Any recommendations/preferences on where to get clubs re-gripped?
If you can hold off golftown has an annual sale. I think around February. It’s worth it to wait if you can because all grips are 50% off and I believe a discount on the install as well.
2ArmBands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 06:07 PM   #1789
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Nanton Golf club has a membership sale on now - Purchase your Nanton Golf Club Refundable Deposit and play free golf for the rest of 2018. ($385 Value)

Dues are $1,000 for unlimited golf/7days a week

Old 08-13-2018, 06:02 AM   #1790
CarlLester
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Not sure if I'm allowed to post this here (figured more golf traffic here than in buy/sell) so forgive me if against the rules:

I have a gift certificate for 4 green fees (carts included) for Willow Park. Typically this would cost over $500. We are considering reasonable offers and money raised will be directed to a youth fundraiser. I thought I would post here in case some of the regulars would be interested. Greens are in terrific shape at the moment!

There are conditions of play:
1. Valid on Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday only
2. Booking to be made with pro shop two days prior to play
3. Expires October 15, 2018

Please PM me if interested. Play well!
CarlLester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 08:14 PM   #1791
FCAV
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ArmBands View Post
If you can hold off golftown has an annual sale. I think around February. It’s worth it to wait if you can because all grips are 50% off and I believe a discount on the install as well.
I have a feeling I'll be a sucker for any offseason sales regardless, but I have the grips already (or will, ordered online, so they should be here in the next week or so). Just doing some pre-planning. Hoping to save the grips off my current set, too. Saw Sportchek had that service, but I'm not necessarily sold on using them when there are likely better alternatives available.
FCAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 08:58 PM   #1792
CarlLester
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCAV View Post
I have a feeling I'll be a sucker for any offseason sales regardless, but I have the grips already (or will, ordered online, so they should be here in the next week or so). Just doing some pre-planning. Hoping to save the grips off my current set, too. Saw Sportchek had that service, but I'm not necessarily sold on using them when there are likely better alternatives available.
If you've already got the grips on the way just do it yourself. It's easy as pie. I do mine every season using only a utility knife, tape, and solvent. By getting good deals on grips online and doing it on my own, it typically costs me about $30 and an hour of my time to do a full set. Saving the grips is another matter but you can get proper tools for that too.
Old 08-14-2018, 08:43 AM   #1793
AltaGuy
AltaGuy has a magnetic personality and exudes positive energy, which is infectious to those around him. He has an unparalleled ability to communicate with people, whether he is speaking to a room of three or an arena of 30,000.

Exp:

Manoir Richelieu was a great time - the scenery and view were just spectacular - 270 degree views from high over the St Laurence. The course is short, but has some very difficult hilly holes, and the greens are tiny, fast, and undulating. Thankfully it was a bit damp, because they'd be hard to hold if they were running firm.

Not the most difficult course though, just because it only plays to just over 6000 yards and I could use an iron off a lot of tees to stay safe. Shot an 82 on my 18 - which is pretty good for me on an unfamiliar course.

The views when I got up there at 7:45AM (you take a cart from the hotel for about 20 minutes up a steep hill to get to the clubhouse and course) were just spectacular.

The view while I was warming up on the range:

View to the 1st green from my layup on the par 5:

The whale watching around there is also spectacular - we saw 5 different species of whales, and about 30 individuals in total. Just an amazing place around Malbaie and Tadoussac in Quebec.

Last edited by AltaGuy; 08-14-2018 at 08:46 AM.
AltaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to AltaGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2018, 12:13 PM   #1794
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just got a new to me set of clubs, and I beat my dad in a game for the first time last weekend. Feels good man.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 12:37 PM   #1795
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
I just got a new to me set of clubs, and I beat my dad in a game for the first time last weekend. Feels good man.
My late father was a competitive player by nature. He'd be up by a few strokes after nine holes and would then brag about it. I would then put some pressure (reverse psychology) on him by saying; "You're up by 2 so don't choke now". It always worked as by the time we were done, he'd crater and i'd end up winning by a few strokes or more
Old 08-16-2018, 01:10 PM   #1796
CarlLester
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlLester View Post
Not sure if I'm allowed to post this here (figured more golf traffic here than in buy/sell) so forgive me if against the rules:

I have a gift certificate for 4 green fees (carts included) for Willow Park. Typically this would cost over $500. We are considering reasonable offers and money raised will be directed to a youth fundraiser. I thought I would post here in case some of the regulars would be interested. Greens are in terrific shape at the moment!

There are conditions of play:
1. Valid on Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday only
2. Booking to be made with pro shop two days prior to play
3. Expires October 15, 2018

Please PM me if interested. Play well!
Sold to a generous CP member! Much appreciated and may the goodwill carry over to your golf game!
Old 08-18-2018, 03:46 PM   #1797
Morning Wood
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Anybody been golfing in this smoke? I’m gonna be heading to calgary next week and had a whole bunch of golf planned, but was wondering how bearable the smoke is for 18 holes of golf. Is it really tough to play 18 holes in these conditions?
Morning Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 03:48 PM   #1798
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you use a laser rangefinder, it won't work. That's how bad the smoke is.
Old 08-18-2018, 03:51 PM   #1799
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Much of it depends on your health and your lungs ability to handle the smoke. It's the taste in your mouth that gets to me

Some find it easier on their lungs if they take a cart as opposed to walking.
Old 08-18-2018, 03:52 PM   #1800
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
If you use a laser rangefinder, it won't work. That's how bad the smoke is.
I'll sometimes hit a drive and lose it in all the smoke. Balls that I would normally see land I can't see.

Tags
net5 , punch out , royal boulder , tpc fox hollow