Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2018, 01:45 PM   #181
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by theslymonkey View Post
I agree and disagree. We really haven't seen a goalie of Price's caliber traded recently. But I do think he's worth a top line forward. But that was before his stupid contract kicked in. 10.5 is silly for any goalie in the cap world.

This is all a Moo point anyway because Price has regressed and is on a ridiculous contract now.
Well if the Habs ate $3M per season on that deal and took a packagae around Jankowski, Gillies, Smith it could be done.

Habs get the center they need, they can start a rebuild which is necessary, they can flip Smith for a pick at the deadline.

Maybe I am underselling price but I can’t think of many teams willing to take on his 8 year deal even at $7.5M while giving up prime assets
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 01:54 PM   #182
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by theslymonkey View Post
Not exactly. Schneider was traded when Horvat was on the board to be picked. But you're right, he wasn't an established first liner. But that was what he was selected to be, and is/will be this year.
Well, no. That's not quite right either. When Horvat was drafted expectations were that he would likely top-out as a clutch, two-way second line centre, and to this date, that appears to be exactly what he is. Don't let the fact that he is the Canucks best centre fool you—on most teams in the NHL Horvat is a fixture on the second line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 01:56 PM   #183
theslymonkey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Well if the Habs ate $3M per season on that deal and took a packagae around Jankowski, Gillies, Smith it could be done.

Habs get the center they need, they can start a rebuild which is necessary, they can flip Smith for a pick at the deadline.

Maybe I am underselling price but I can’t think of many teams willing to take on his 8 year deal even at $7.5M while giving up prime assets
It's really subjective based on what you think Price is. But I think the Habs and a lot of GMs still see Price as a top 5 goalie just on a terrible team. So I guess you need to look at it this way.

What would you want back for Kipper, Quick, Brodeur, Bob, Lundqvist... I'm not saying these are all equal, just examples of top goalies.

I realize the cap changes things, but still to get a top player you would think they would want similar value, not just a collection of parts.
theslymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 02:35 PM   #184
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Habs are not going to trade Price so why are we discussing it? Unless he asks for a trade he is not going anywhere.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2018, 03:10 PM   #185
theslymonkey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
The Habs are not going to trade Price so why are we discussing it? Unless he asks for a trade he is not going anywhere.
Because it's August...
theslymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to theslymonkey For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2018, 05:02 PM   #186
jeep991
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Saw on Reddit.
https://www.reddit.com/r/hockey/comm...alvin_pickard/

Pickard was one of the goalies I thought would look good on the Flames before the Vegas draft.
jeep991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 05:36 PM   #187
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

He would fit the bill in the likelihood Saros can't be had.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 05:43 PM   #188
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
He would fit the bill in the likelihood Saros can't be had.
I don’t see how. The difference between Pickard and Gillies and Rittich is pretty negligible. I don’t think the Flames are any worse off by moving forward with the players already in house.

Quote:
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2018, 05:45 PM   #189
Toonage

Exp:

NHL games played.
Old 08-16-2018, 06:00 PM   #190
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
NHL games played.

The 1 NHL game he played last year?
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 06:05 PM   #191
Toonage

Exp:

The 80 in the several seasons prior to that. Was bizarre that Toronto got him but that's another topic. I'm just going off the idea that Treliving wants a young goalie who is ready to take over a starting role (or a 1B role) and has NHL experience.
Old 08-16-2018, 06:06 PM   #192
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Haven't been watching this thread closely, so apologize for derailing or bringing up a topic already discussed, but what ate people's thoughts on cory Schneider out of nj.

32 yo, signed for 4 years at $6M/year.... Thoughts? I haven't really followed him or the devils, but he's basically lost the starting job to kinckaid as far as I could tell.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 06:12 PM   #193
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
The 80 in the several seasons prior to that. Was bizarre that Toronto got him but that's another topic. I'm just going off the idea that Treliving wants a young goalie who is ready to take over a starting role (or a 1B role) and has NHL experience.
Pickard played in Colorado as a backup and put up stellar numbers (does this sound familiar?), and then when he was promoted to a starting role in 2016–17 looked okay, and played in 50 games. He is the same age as David Rittich and nearly two years older than Gillies, and yet last year in the AHL he looked virtually no better than either of them.

If experience is the only thing that separates a would-be acquisition from what the Flames already have in the system, then that is not good enough. I don't think Treliving brings another goalie into an already crowded situation unless he provides an obvious and substantial upgrade on what is already here. Calvin Pickard is not that player.

Quote:
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2018, 06:19 PM   #194
Toonage

Exp:

Thanks Textcritic. I'm just working off an assumption of what Treliving is after and I appreciate the feedback.
The Following User Says Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2018, 06:24 PM   #195
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

I don't see Pickard coming to the Flames organization.

The Toronto organization is in a similar situation, having an abundance of pro goaltenders. The Flames would want to move one of theirs in exchange and I don't think the Leafs would go for that.

I also don't think Pickard is an appreciable improvement on the goaltenders Calgary already has. Rittich is a capable backup and Gillies still has the potential to be a quality starter.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 07:20 PM   #196
kehatch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Pickard's numbers in the NHL are much better then Rittich, and he was playing on a terrible Colorado team. His numbers were better then Varlamov while he was there. I don't know if he is, or should be, a Flames target. But suggesting he isn't an upgrade to Rittich certainly isn't backed up by the stats.
kehatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 08:29 PM   #197
sketchyt
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehatch View Post
Pickard's numbers in the NHL are much better then Rittich, and he was playing on a terrible Colorado team. His numbers were better then Varlamov while he was there. I don't know if he is, or should be, a Flames target. But suggesting he isn't an upgrade to Rittich certainly isn't backed up by the stats.
I've watched Pickard a bit (whenever possible) as I always thought there was starter upside there.

He has an odd herky jerky style, seems to admire his rebounds on nice primary saves which means his recovery on secondary saves takes forever.

However, he plays consistently at the top of his crease and looks comfortable doing so. He's way further along in development than Rittich and Gillies (who still play at an AHL depth... Gillies moreso than Rittich)... and yeah, that by default would say he would be an upgrade. I'd be more comfortable with Smith and Pickard.

Don't see him as a long-term starter though... he might top out as a 1B-type if everything goes well.
sketchyt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 03:21 AM   #198
Philly06Cup
Closet Jedi

Exp:

Flyers have 4 goalies available while they wait for Carter Hart to develop: might I interest you in Anthony Stolarz, Alex Lyon, Michal Neuvirth, or one Brian Elliott?
Old 08-17-2018, 03:35 AM   #199
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Stolarz is just another Gillies, but with knee problems. Lyon is also probably not something we don't already have in Gillies and Rittich.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 09:01 AM   #200
FlamesFanTrev
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly06Cup View Post
Flyers have 4 goalies available while they wait for Carter Hart to develop: might I interest you in Anthony Stolarz, Alex Lyon, Michal Neuvirth, or one Brian Elliott?
You could give me two Brian Elliot's, fuse them together like some sort of conjoined goaltender, and stack them in front of the net, and I would still rather have 1 David Rittich. Elliot can go work on his consistentcy somewhere else. Maybe up in Edmonton, once Talbot gets the hook for his season average 5.8 GAA he's gonna have this year.
FlamesFanTrev is offline   Reply With Quote