Old 10-04-2018, 07:50 PM   #441
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
I missed that what did Burke say?
Quote:
“I can only tell you, this agent [who’s representing Nylander] represented Johnny Gaudreau, made some demands which we’ve never really made public when I worked for the Flames, because we thought people would resent them,” Burke said Saturday in a discussion with David Amber and Nick Kypreos. “It doesn’t cost William Nylander anything [right now]. He hasn’t lost a cent yet. He’ll lose money starting Wednesday night.
Tough to say who is driving the boat, where the demands came from etc., But ultimately the agent works for the player and if the player didn't agree with the agent there are ways to deal with that. I think the belief was ultimately it was gaudreau who relented and notified the team he was ready to sign, but it wasn't exactly a painless experience.

I look at a guy like czarnik and a guy like gaudreau and I ask myself why does one guy appear to be in significantly better shape than the other?
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 07:52 PM   #442
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Oh no, the Johnny diet thing is coming up again? Ugh.

I was hoping the nonsense from last year left with Gulutzan.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2018, 07:54 PM   #443
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Tough to say who is driving the boat, where the demands came from etc., But ultimately the agent works for the player and if the player didn't agree with the agent there are ways to deal with that. I think the belief was ultimately it was gaudreau who relented and notified the team he was ready to sign, but it wasn't exactly a painless experience.

I look at a guy like czarnik and a guy like gaudreau and I ask myself why does one guy appear to be in significantly better shape than the other?
Have you seen Roenick and Joe Thornton? Not all NHLers look like Martin St Louis
Old 10-04-2018, 07:57 PM   #444
Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Imo, speaks to a sense of entitlement, which Burke sort if eluded to in regards to contract negotiations.

Doesn't have to do what the rest of the pros have to. As a result he may have plateaued a bit in what he can do offensively.

Probably a rough summer with his dad's health problems, but I think he has looked sluggish all preseason and was one of the worst skaters on the ice last night.

Highest paid forward on the roster, expectations should be high.
Johnny Gaudreau was not, by any reasonable measure, one of the worst skaters on the ice last night. You've lost touch with reality.
Old 10-04-2018, 08:01 PM   #445
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Gaudreau looked out of sync just like the rest of the team for the first 45 minutes.

Gaudreau also dominated a couple shifts individually later, he's fine.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2018, 08:03 PM   #446
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Oh no, the Johnny diet thing is coming up again? Ugh.

I was hoping the nonsense from last year left with Gulutzan.
It's not nonsense at all, but also not the end of the world, but as per usual CP is "pick a side!!!". You either support the player or you're an enemy! These athletes perform at the highest level, and Johnny is near the top of the top hockey players in the world, but in his own words doesn't practice proper nutrition.

It's actually a significant thing, imo. He's able to perform at the level he does, which is top 20 NHL forward in terms of points, but how much better could he be if he fully committed to diet like most of the other guys?

No reason to get upset about it being brought up, sometimes we get a little too fanboyish with our own players, especially the stars. There's room for criticism from fans and room for improvement from the player, unless you want a rainbow board where we just sing praises.

Last edited by jayswin; 10-04-2018 at 08:05 PM.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2018, 08:05 PM   #447
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
It's not nonsense at all. These athletes perform at the highest level, and Johnny is near the top of the top hockey players in the world, but in his own words doesn't practice proper nutrition.

It's actually a pretty big thing. He's able to perform at the level he does, which is top 20 NHL forward in terms of points, but how much better could he be if he fully committed to diet like most of the other guys?

No reason to get upset about it being brought up, sometimes we get a little too fanboyish with our own players, especially the stars. There's room for criticism from fans and improvement from player, unless you want a rainbow board where we just sing praises.
concerning ourselves with anecdotes regarding Gaudreau's eating habits is weird. Really weird.

When he doesn't come in and put up an 84 point season, I think we can start mocking players' eating habits.

No wonder why players hate playing in Canada.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2018, 08:09 PM   #448
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makarov View Post
Johnny Gaudreau was not, by any reasonable measure, one of the worst skaters on the ice last night. You've lost touch with reality.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Gaudreau looked out of sync just like the rest of the team for the first 45 minutes.

Gaudreau also dominated a couple shifts individually later, he's fine.
I thought his skating looked slow and his.shifts fizzled fast, wasn't nearly as noticeable backtracking or skating into loose pucks.

Just didn't have that 'jump' I associate with his style of play. Maybe it's just being out of sync or doesn't have his skating legs under him yet, I don't know, he just looked rough whenever he was asked to skate hard.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 08:11 PM   #449
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
concerning ourselves with anecdotes regarding Gaudreau's eating habits is weird. Really weird.

When he doesn't come in and put up an 84 point season, I think we can start mocking players' eating habits.

No wonder why players hate playing in Canada.
Weird would be making assumptions on it, but when he himself and teammates have openly talked about his eating habits, including barely eating fruits and vegetables, it's not really weird, no. Except here, where any criticizing or hoping for improvement is shot down very quickly.

Again, it's not the end of the world, but I'd love to see him turn that around nd fully maximize his potential.

"When he doesn't come in and put up an 84 point season, I think we can start mocking players' eating habits" is silly, imo, especially since it isn't mocking, that's just hyperbole. If he could potentially be a 100 point player at his full potential you're saying "whatever, 84 points is plenty"?

If course not, you just don't want to hear anything about it. Which is fine I guess, but becoming more and more commonplace on CP.

Last edited by jayswin; 10-04-2018 at 08:13 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2018, 08:15 PM   #450
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Imo, speaks to a sense of entitlement, which Burke sort if eluded to in regards to contract negotiations.

Doesn't have to do what the rest of the pros have to. As a result he may have plateaued a bit in what he can do offensively.

Probably a rough summer with his dad's health problems, but I think he has looked sluggish all preseason and was one of the worst skaters on the ice last night.

Highest paid forward on the roster, expectations should be high.
Did you even watch the game last night? He was dancing through the Canucks all night and his line was the most dangerous line on both teams. There’s a reason the coach double shifted him and played him 23 minutes last night.

If there’s one player on this team that should get a free pass from time to time, it’s him, because this team relies so heavily on him just to win games. He enerated 40% of the team’s total offense virtually all of last season, in wins last season he put up 57 points and in losses he scored 27 points. Most of our winning streaks also coincided with his scoring streaks as well. Face it, where he goes, our team goes.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Classic_Sniper For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2018, 08:17 PM   #451
Flamenfame
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

LOL@ everyone trying to convince me last year Smith was a good signing , this team just does not get it Smith has had one good season his whole career , Elliot is better always has been , stupid moves kills this team
Flamenfame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 08:19 PM   #452
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Lots of tickets left for the homeopener Saturday. I remember last year I went through CP cause ticket master had close to nothing.
kukkudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 08:22 PM   #453
MisterJoji
Franchise Player

Exp:

For ##### sakes. One game in and we have:

- Johnny eats garbage and isn’t 100% committed.

- Peters is GG v2.0.

- Bennett is being picked on and should request a trade.

- We win that game with a face puncher in the lineup.

- Gio has lost a step.

Old 10-04-2018, 08:28 PM   #454
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterJoji View Post

- Peters is GG v2.0.

- Gio has lost a step.

Don't summarize a thread with hundreds of participants and try to sum up everyone as one entity and proclaim it all hysterical. Try to be rational and look at individual points and either dismiss and ignore or respond if you feel inclined.

This type of stuff does as much to lower the quality of the board as anything. You won't think so, but it pushes the wedge further between those with criticism and those that don't want to hear anything.

You're basically acting as an authority, categorizing all criticism as one and proclaiming "look at all this bull****, guys! Get out of here with this!!!". It's unnecessary.

Last edited by jayswin; 10-04-2018 at 08:31 PM.
Old 10-04-2018, 08:30 PM   #455
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
"When he doesn't come in and put up an 84 point season, I think we can start mocking players' eating habits" is silly, imo, especially since it isn't mocking, that's just hyperbole. If he could potentially be a 100 point player at his full potential you're saying "whatever, 84 points is plenty"?

If course not, you just don't want to hear anything about it. Which is fine I guess, but becoming more and more commonplace on CP.
If you want to complain about his play on the ice, I have no problem, but this argument is just silly.

"If he just took his diet and conditioning seriously, he could be a 100 point player"

He's not a 100 point player. He's not McDavid. He's not Ovechkin. He's not Crosby He's not in that class. He's a $6.5 million player who performs above his pay level.

He's out best forward and it's not close. He has performed it since he entered this league on this team. He just came off his best season.

So when we ridicule our best players for their eating habits, it's embarrassing. It makes Canadian fans look like entitled and childish. It's that kind of ridicule that makes players avoid playing on Canadian teams. It's that kind of ridicule that makes us shake our head 5 years down the road.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2018, 08:31 PM   #456
Moneyhands23
Franchise Player

Exp:

I still love my Flames even though they are jerks
Moneyhands23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 08:36 PM   #457
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
It's not nonsense at all, but also not the end of the world, but as per usual CP is "pick a side!!!". You either support the player or you're an enemy! These athletes perform at the highest level, and Johnny is near the top of the top hockey players in the world, but in his own words doesn't practice proper nutrition.

It's actually a significant thing, imo. He's able to perform at the level he does, which is top 20 NHL forward in terms of points, but how much better could he be if he fully committed to diet like most of the other guys?

No reason to get upset about it being brought up, sometimes we get a little too fanboyish with our own players, especially the stars. There's room for criticism from fans and room for improvement from the player, unless you want a rainbow board where we just sing praises.
I think it is plausible that if he needed to make changes such that he ate to your satisfaction, he would put up the same damn results. I also am pretty sure the team has people who specialize in fitness, sleep, nutrition, etc. and it is silly of CP mudslingers to think that this is actually a problem.

These guys exercise a ton, if he doesn’t have the protein, carbs, etc to replenish his body it would break down over the course of the season, no?

He gets his protein from ham and some calcium from the cheese of his sandwich. Maybe eats some Flintstone vitamins because he doesn’t like kiwi.

I’m sure for an asset making 6 million, the team chefs can do what good moms do and sneak in some nutrition in to his milkshakes if they are truly desperate.

There is no way it is not nonsense.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2018, 08:36 PM   #458
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterJoji View Post

- Peters is GG v2.0.

- Gio has lost a step.

hell yeah, new contextless sig!
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2018, 08:38 PM   #459
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
If he could potentially be a 100 point player at his full potential you're saying "whatever, 84 points is plenty"?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
"If he just took his diet and conditioning seriously, he could be a 100 point player"

He's not a 100 point player. He's not McDavid. He's not Ovechkin. He's not Crosby He's not in that class. He's a $6.5 million player who performs above his pay level.

Ok, you purposely changed my quote to take the "possibility" out of it. I clearly stated "What if" his dieting could lead to being a 100pt player, you wanted to make it appear more like I was proclaiming he would be a 100pt player if he just took his diet seriously.

Just goofy stuff.

Anyways, he himself and players on the team have talked about his diet, he's been on pace for over 100 points for significant periods of time, what in the world would make you proclaim that he doesn't have the potential to be a 100pt player when he's been on pace and that he could POSSIBLY be better with better dieting?

Last edited by jayswin; 10-04-2018 at 08:40 PM.
Old 10-04-2018, 08:42 PM   #460
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Ok, you purposely changed my quote to take the "possibility" out of it. I clearly stated "What if" his dieting could lead to being a 100pt player, you wanted to make it appear more like I was proclaiming he would be a 100pt player if he just took his diet seriously.

Just goofy stuff.

Anyways, he himself and players on the team have talked about his diet, he's been on pace for over 100 points for significant periods of time, what in the world would make you proclaim that he doesn't have the potential to be a 100pt player when he's been on pace and that he could POSSIBLY be better with better dieting?
Changing the quote slightly for emphasis doesn't change the argument that you've ignored.

Gaudreau has been on a 100 point pace, like he was for half of last season. Amazing that he wasn't able to keep up that pace when the entire team fell apart after the All star break.

On a team that finished 27th in goals for.

On a team where he contributed to its offense more than anybody but McDavid with the Oilers.

This is a really bad take. Like, terrible.

Last edited by Ashasx; 10-04-2018 at 08:44 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post: