Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2019, 02:54 PM   #601
flamingred89
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
2nd and 3rd with 1 out and up to the plate come a couple of .400~ OPSers in Jansen and Davis.

Whiff. Whiff.

Just ####ing terrible.

Jansen has to be one of the bigger disappointments this season. Decent defensively but what a #### show offensively. Brutal. He'd be back in AAA if they had any other options.
And this is why I don’t understand why the Jays are paying Martin to play elsewhere. He’s an excellent leader and would’ve been great to show Jansen the ropes. Yet, here we are with another year of Luke ****ing Maile.

I’m beyond frustrated right now. I understand the idea of a rebuild. But 2 years removed from the playoffs with 2 can’t miss prospects in Guerrero and Bichette. Not to mention two quality starters in their mid twenties with team control. And the ownership and Shatkins refuse to field a team to help these kids out. It’s just going to instill a losing mentality and a lack of faith in the organization.
flamingred89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 04:10 PM   #602
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingred89 View Post
And this is why I don’t understand why the Jays are paying Martin to play elsewhere. He’s an excellent leader and would’ve been great to show Jansen the ropes. Yet, here we are with another year of Luke ****ing Maile.

I’m beyond frustrated right now. I understand the idea of a rebuild. But 2 years removed from the playoffs with 2 can’t miss prospects in Guerrero and Bichette. Not to mention two quality starters in their mid twenties with team control. And the ownership and Shatkins refuse to field a team to help these kids out. It’s just going to instill a losing mentality and a lack of faith in the organization.
Yeah its frustrating right now but a losing team doesn't mean they will instill a losing culture. The Astros lost 100+ games 3 seasons in a row and then a 90+ loss season before becoming the powerhouse they are now.

The Braves just recently had 4 straight 90+ loss seasons and are now built up again.

The Jays have pretty much a concensus top 5 farm system, just like those two teams had while they were getting run over. I think we just have to be patient and wait for the cream to rise to the top and then watch Jays management use the remaining prospects as trade bait to fill out the holes in the roster. (Probably outfielders and a high end starter or two).
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2019, 04:23 PM   #603
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

I think Jansen will figure it out, I am optimistic he will turn it around.

The biggest disappointment for me has been Drury. I was foolishly holding out hope that he would be a legitimate big leaguer but he just isn't.

So many players on the Jays with OPS+ sub 100. Drury is around 70 I think. Basically traded Happ for Ryan Goins' bat but without the defensive upside.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 04:59 PM   #604
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

I haven't trusted management since they never even gave Price an offer. Maybe he would have still went to Boston but maybe not. It seemed like he really liked Toronto and would have liked to be back.

And then even though his agent ended up screwing things up for him I didn't like how long they waited to give Edwin an offer before he officially became a free agent. They should have had an offer figured out before day one of exclusive negotiating rights and went from there for five days.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 05:08 PM   #605
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hopefully Jansen figures it out at the plate, but the good thing is the Jays have Riley Adams, Alejandro Kirk and Gabriel Moreno coming up one right after the other and they are ALL just mashing at their current levels.
Old 06-02-2019, 08:59 PM   #606
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Went to all 3 games in Denver and just wow. Outside of Smoak and Guerrero this is an embarrassing lineup.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheAlpineOracle For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2019, 08:59 PM   #607
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
I haven't trusted management since they never even gave Price an offer. Maybe he would have still went to Boston but maybe not. It seemed like he really liked Toronto and would have liked to be back.

And then even though his agent ended up screwing things up for him I didn't like how long they waited to give Edwin an offer before he officially became a free agent. They should have had an offer figured out before day one of exclusive negotiating rights and went from there for five days.
To me Price may not have been a good fit if they knew they were going to rebuild eventually (even if they BS'd the fans for two years), but what was embarrassing to me was the whole "we offered Price a contract" followed two days later by Price saying "What? No, I would have loved to stay in Toronto they didn't want to offer a contract".

They clearly didn't want to offer anything but also wanted to BS the fans into thinking they tried. So stupid.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 09:40 PM   #608
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

This is what a real rebuild looks like.

Painful to watch but is what is necessary to go through.

Bad baseball team for sure, but not bogged down with a bunch of overpaid vets in an effort to try and compete. Those teams always take longer to turn the corner.

At least 2 more seasons of this before they start adding pieces via UFA is my guess.
Old 06-02-2019, 10:17 PM   #609
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post

Yep, exactly. Except they needed to start it two years ago with valuable vets being traded for valuable youth and picks. They really ****ed up this rebuild with Rogers wanting to maximize revenue on the playoff roster of 2015/16.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2019, 12:12 AM   #610
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post

Bad baseball team for sure, but not bogged down with a bunch of overpaid vets in an effort to try and compete. Those teams always take longer to turn the corner.

At least 2 more seasons of this before they start adding pieces via UFA is my guess.
Rebuilds are sometimes necessary but i fear that the current Jays Management is the blind leading the blind.
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 12:22 AM   #611
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

baseball has to be the most painful sport for a rebuild...a billion games and out of it in the first month
Old 06-03-2019, 08:58 AM   #612
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

MLB draft starts tonight. Jays have the 11th overall pick.

Will probably see Keuchel and Kimbrell sign somewhere soon too as there is no longer and draft pick compensation attached to signing them anymore.
Old 06-03-2019, 03:59 PM   #613
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
MLB draft starts tonight. Jays have the 11th overall pick.
Names commonly attached to the Jays pick are RHP's Alek Manoah & Jackson Rutledge.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 06:26 PM   #614
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallex View Post
Names commonly attached to the Jays pick are RHP's Alek Manoah & Jackson Rutledge.
Manoah it is.

6'6" 260lb college pitcher.

95+ mph fastball that touches 99 and a wipe out slider

Needs to develop a 3rd pitch to be a starter. If not he may end up a high end back of the bullpen guy.
Old 06-03-2019, 06:26 PM   #615
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1135702250121285632

https://twitter.com/user/status/1135703618059952128
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2019, 09:20 PM   #616
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

The Jays were that bad last year and get pick 11. Tanking is definitely going on in Baseball. Which is odd given ow random the draft is.
Old 06-03-2019, 09:50 PM   #617
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jays pick Kendall Williams in the 2nd round.

Another 6'6" pitcher, this one out of high school.

No plus pitches (yet, still young) but 4 average to above average pitches including a mid 90s fastball.
Old 06-04-2019, 10:39 AM   #618
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
Which is odd given ow random the draft is.
Yup. Although to be fair it also get's you a bigger bonus pool for July 1 IFA's and evaluation/playing time for your fringe prospects so it's not all about the draft.

Still a painful and risky way to go for baseball vs. the other major professional sports.

Anyhoo Day two of the draft. Guy I'd look for the Jays to take would be Jake Sanford. No rumors or anything but he's generally ranked 100ish (108 by MLB.com), destroyed baseballs in Conference USA, and is Canadian (fan service) if you can get him to come at a slot more akin to his ranking then pick 88 it might help luring Williams away from his Vandy commit.

Last edited by Parallex; 06-04-2019 at 10:41 AM.
Old 06-04-2019, 11:24 AM   #619
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jays take Dasan Brown in Rd 3. CF 6-0 185 out of Abbey Park HS.
Canadian kid out of Oakville Ontario.

https://www.tsn.ca/canada-keeps-pump...ines-1.1315985

This year, Abbey Park High School (Oakville, Ont.) outfielder Dasan Brown, with a commitment to Texas A&M in his back pocket, is by far the top Canuck available in the eyes of evaluators.
Ranked 96th by Baseball America, 99th by the FanGraphs prospect team and 103rd by MLB Pipeline, it’s Brown’s top-end speed that will attract teams as early as the second round, or, more likely if you use the rankings as a gauge

Last edited by Cheese; 06-04-2019 at 11:27 AM.
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cheese For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2019, 12:09 PM   #620
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese View Post
Jays take Dasan Brown in Rd 3. CF 6-0 185 out of Abbey Park HS. Canadian kid out of Oakville Ontario.
Well I got the Canadian part right at least. Meh, he sounds like DJ Davis/Reggie Pruitt. Athletic HS Centerfieders are such heart-breakers.

Round 4: Will Robertson: Corner Outfielder, LH, Creighton (NCAA). Hits for average and power.

Last edited by Parallex; 06-04-2019 at 12:13 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Parallex For This Useful Post: