Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2019, 03:00 PM   #221
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Bobby Orr
Erik Karlsson. Already not quite what he used to be and trending down. Brodie has managed to be pretty injury free and is a natural, smooth skater so I can see him still skating well into his 30's. That said any slight deterioration will make a big difference for him as his skating masks a lot of his deficiencies.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 06-03-2019 at 03:03 PM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 03:44 PM   #222
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Erik Karlsson. Already not quite what he used to be and trending down.
I’m making this my sig in 2 years when he wins the Norris again.

Players that fall off early are players that barely hung on to begin with, in most cases. Raw hockey talent takes forever to lose as long as the commitment and drive are still there.

Karlsson will see some doctors and take some time to rest and he will continue being a top defenseman in this league for at least another 5 years.
Old 06-03-2019, 03:50 PM   #223
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

It's right up there with your "Zucker is a cap dump" take.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2019, 04:28 PM   #224
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

We will have to see what injuries Karlsson had this year. By the end of the playoffs he was struggling, but who knows what he was playing thru.

Has he had 1 or 2 achilles tears? I remember the Matt Cooke one that resulted in Melnyk's forensic investigation, but seem to think there might have been another one too.

For a player like him, that's a particularly tough injury given how he plays the game where he did use that elite skating to separate himself from others. He could probably still be a really good player, but three years ago he was arguably one of the top 5 players in the league with how how he could control the game on the back end. This past year he did look held back by injury.

So as it relates to this thread....it is all about what injuries has the player had, and how does it impact his game. For a guy like Hamonic...yeah, I'd tread a bit carefully going forward.
Old 06-03-2019, 05:55 PM   #225
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
We will have to see what injuries Karlsson had this year. By the end of the playoffs he was struggling, but who knows what he was playing thru.

Has he had 1 or 2 achilles tears? I remember the Matt Cooke one that resulted in Melnyk's forensic investigation, but seem to think there might have been another one too.

For a player like him, that's a particularly tough injury given how he plays the game where he did use that elite skating to separate himself from others. He could probably still be a really good player, but three years ago he was arguably one of the top 5 players in the league with how how he could control the game on the back end. This past year he did look held back by injury.

So as it relates to this thread....it is all about what injuries has the player had, and how does it impact his game. For a guy like Hamonic...yeah, I'd tread a bit carefully going forward.
Yeah he has been slowing ever since his achilles tear which was 6 years ago IIRC...now he was only 22 then and was still good enough to overcome any mobility he lost for a couple years, but as he has aged he just isnt the same skater he once was.

I wouldn't touch him for the money he is going to get...there is a steep decline coming at some point.
Old 06-03-2019, 09:41 PM   #226
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Yeah he has been slowing ever since his achilles tear which was 6 years ago IIRC...now he was only 22 then and was still good enough to overcome any mobility he lost for a couple years, but as he has aged he just isnt the same skater he once was.

I wouldn't touch him for the money he is going to get...there is a steep decline coming at some point.
Erik Karlsson had 16 points in 19 games sans a groin. Five of the last six seasons he had 60 points or more, and had 45 in 53 games this year.

Erik Karlsson is not due for a decline. Erik Karlsson is due for some time off. That guy needs to spend the summer having surgeries, and he needs to not even think about playing hockey until Christmas.

At that point, whoever has him will have the benefit of Erik Karlsson for the next six and a half years, and they'll probably see the conference finals once or twice if not more.

He's Erik Karlsson.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 09:45 PM   #227
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Erik Karlsson had 16 points in 19 games sans a groin. Five of the last six seasons he had 60 points or more, and had 45 in 53 games this year.

Erik Karlsson is not due for a decline. Erik Karlsson is due for some time off. That guy needs to spend the summer having surgeries, and he needs to not even think about playing hockey until Christmas.

At that point, whoever has him will have the benefit of Erik Karlsson for the next six and a half years, and they'll probably see the conference finals once or twice if not more.

He's Erik Karlsson.
He’s not god.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 09:54 PM   #228
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
He’s not god.

Nope, just the best defenseman on the planet when he's healthy, and he's not even 30 yet.

He needs to heal up and get his body right. I know it sucks to stand around waiting for Goku, but nobody complains when Kakarot saves the day and neglects his family.
Old 06-03-2019, 10:03 PM   #229
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Karlsson is getting pretty overrated nowadays.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ForeverFlameFan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2019, 10:06 PM   #230
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Is he still missing half an ankle, with what's left being propped up by a cadaver bone?

How much time does that take to heal?
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 10:24 PM   #231
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Nope, just the best defenseman on the planet when he's healthy, and he's not even 30 yet.

He needs to heal up and get his body right. I know it sucks to stand around waiting for Goku, but nobody complains when Kakarot saves the day and neglects his family.
Erik Karlsson WAS the best defenseman on the planet, but that was three years and a severe injury ago. He will never be as good as he once was. We saw glimpses of his dominance this year, and I think we will continue to do so for a few more seasons, but Karlsson is broken. He is never going to dictate the game so consistently like he once did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2019, 10:56 PM   #232
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Erik Karlsson WAS the best defenseman on the planet, but that was three years and a severe injury ago. He will never be as good as he once was. We saw glimpses of his dominance this year, and I think we will continue to do so for a few more seasons, but Karlsson is broken. He is never going to dictate the game so consistently like he once did.

He was putting up 16 points in 19 playoff games less than two weeks ago.

He needs groin surgery. That's it.
Old 06-03-2019, 11:24 PM   #233
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

what was karlsson doing in the time between Ottawa and signing with SJS?

he would have had more time off in that offseason, where Ottawa didn't get into the playoffs and he had a full offseason to get healthy for SJS...

9-10 million dollars AAV for 6-7 years on 28 year old with a history of groin injuries is a pretty high risk unless you have oodles of cap room
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 11:46 PM   #234
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 442scotty View Post
Brodie to X for a pick 2/3 round is my guess. Hamonic to Winnipeg for ?. And Johnny will be discreetly dangled for a knock your socks off pick plus (To Jersey or Philly). Frolik stays possibly till the season trade deadline. Thats my unscientific best guess for this year. Oh and if Chuckie is looking for 10 Mill he’s gone.
Your "best guess"?
the2bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 12:05 AM   #235
FlameX
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Why no just trade both. I don't see any harm in that as long as we get someone who's worth both of em.

Just move Andersson up to where Brodie was then move Valimaki alongside Hanifin. As our extra D man we can have Kylington plus that new guy we signed.

Giordano Andersson
Hanifin Valimaki

We could switch Valimaki and Hanifin if one of them doesn't feel comfortable playing on the right side.

As for the person in return for Brodie and Hamonic i have no clue who to pursue. Maybe someone for the bottom 6 or a new goalie?

Last edited by FlameX; 06-04-2019 at 12:08 AM.
FlameX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 12:10 AM   #236
Frank MetaMusil
RANDOM USER TITLE CHANGE

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameX View Post
Why no just trade both. I don't see any harm in that as long as we get someone who's worth both of em.

Just move Andersson up to where Brodie was then move Valimaki alongside Hanifin. As our extra D man we can have Kylington plus that new guy we signed.

Giordano Andersson
Hanifin Valimaki

We could switch Valimaki and Hanifin if one of them doesn't feel comfortable playing on the right side.

As for the person in return for Brodie and Hamonic i have no clue who to pursue. Maybe someone for the bottom 6 or a new goalie?
Maybe it's just picks. If your lineup works then they don't need an immediately ready player. I'd look for a Giordano trade too. This team won't get far with the same core, we know that already.
Frank MetaMusil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 05:33 AM   #237
goflamesgo18
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank MetaMusil View Post
Maybe it's just picks. If your lineup works then they don't need an immediately ready player. I'd look for a Giordano trade too. This team won't get far with the same core, we know that already.
If Flames trade Gio now they arent contenders anymore. Atleast for a few years anyway. He is the most important player on the team. Id say just keep him until he declines. Sure you wont get as much in a trade by then but atleast you stay competetive.
goflamesgo18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 06:22 AM   #238
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Why no just trade both.
If the goal is to turn a strength into a weakness this would be a decent approach
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2019, 06:29 AM   #239
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Giordano Andersson
Hanifin Valimaki

If you trade both you are putting a lot of faith in Valimaki and Kylington to be regulars without growing pains and pretty well deplete your organizational depth at the position. If say Andersson and Hanafin get injured in the regular season for a period of time you are looking really thin on the blue line. Plus we are eventually going to see some decline from Gio so depth will be important going forward.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 06:50 AM   #240
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
If the goal is to turn a strength into a weakness this would be a decent approach
That’s a pretty big assumption.
What if one of them is used on a forward and the other part of a package that brings back a forward and a dman similar to last summers big splash?
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote