Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2019, 09:37 PM   #281
TheoFleury
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Oh man, Calgary could be so lucky to have Bennett offersheeted. Take the pick and run. I would laugh at Edmonton saddling McDavid and Draisaitl with Bennett. If Bennett can't produce with Tkachuk and Backlund, or Gaudreau and Monahan, then he isn't going to produce anywhere. The legend of Sam Bennett continues to grow to lengths he will never be able to live up to.
A 2nd round pick is like a 30% shot at NHL 100 games played. Do you honestly believe what you are saying?
TheoFleury is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheoFleury For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2019, 09:39 PM   #282
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheoFleury View Post
A 2nd round pick is like a 30% shot at NHL 100 games played. Do you honestly believe what you are saying?
Yeah, I'd rather take the pick than pay Sam Bennett a cent over $2.5M over a multi-year contract. Paying Bennett $4M is a mistake. Period. Let someone else take the risk of that contract.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2019, 11:15 PM   #283
TheoFleury
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, I'd rather take the pick than pay Sam Bennett a cent over $2.5M over a multi-year contract. Paying Bennett $4M is a mistake. Period. Let someone else take the risk of that contract.
We are talking about 5% of the cap. Is your opinion of him that low? He's basically Garnett Hathaway with toe drags or what?
TheoFleury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 01:02 AM   #284
Ashes
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
4M for Bennett is too much i agree, but other than Treleving's adventures on Free Agent day he has consistently gotten great value on contracts. Infact its likely his strongest asset as a GM. He's proved it with Gaudreau, Monahan, Lindholm, Gio, Brodie, etc. I would be shocked if Tre doesn't pull another great contract out of the hat with Bennett, he's a player Tre has had since day 1. I think there is MORE risk if you let Bennett walk than if you sign him for say 3.5M on a multi-year deal. He's a useful player just now finding his role, adding some depth to the top two lines of this team would seemingly help everything by pushing an offensive contributor down to the 3rd line to play with Bennett next season.
Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ashes For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2019, 03:10 AM   #285
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Jesus, he's still only 22 and he's the toughest SOB on the team who picks up for his teammates more than even the captain does. If this team had two more Sam Bennetts instead of creampuffs like Monahan and Backlund we might still be in the playoffs
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 07:05 AM   #286
gvitaly
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Can you stop avoiding just giving us the raw numbers for the rest of the group for goals for, primary assists etc etc.

You're the most consistently stat oriented guy on this board and I am trying to talk stats with you and you're calling me lame or saying i don't believe in gravity because I keep asking you for data you seemingly have at your fingertips, and you won't supply it.

It's a really simple premise:

If bennett scores 1.00 goals per 60 and hathaway scores .98 goals per 60 i'm going to tell you that Hathaway is a better goal scorer because he didn't get 20 games with the second best offensive player in the lineup to pad those stats.

If Bennett gets 20 games with backlund and tkachuk and is only marginally more productive than guys that play 10 minutes a night exclusively with other guys who struggle to produce then Bennett's 'ranking' doesn't mean anything.

That you're fixated on 'ranking' tells me you already know this and are reticent to share that data.

If you want to make a point feel free to crunch the numbers yourself. I don't see why someone has to do it for you. You can find a lot of the stats you are looking for on corsica, and good luck. http://corsica.hockey/skater-stats/
gvitaly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gvitaly For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2019, 07:55 AM   #287
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post
This Bennett is a 4th liner talk is giving me some 'Where are you Chris O'Sullivan?' vibes.
Well our 3rd and 4th lines had similar deployment and that's where Bennett played?
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 07:59 AM   #288
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Are there any other comparable high pick players to Sam that have not exactly performed up to their draft pedigree and could use a change of scenery via a trade?

Haven't really thought about it.
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 09:36 AM   #289
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Can you stop avoiding just giving us the raw numbers for the rest of the group for goals for, primary assists etc etc.

You're the most consistently stat oriented guy on this board and I am trying to talk stats with you and you're calling me lame or saying i don't believe in gravity because I keep asking you for data you seemingly have at your fingertips, and you won't supply it.

It's a really simple premise:

If bennett scores 1.00 goals per 60 and hathaway scores .98 goals per 60 i'm going to tell you that Hathaway is a better goal scorer because he didn't get 20 games with the second best offensive player in the lineup to pad those stats.

If Bennett gets 20 games with backlund and tkachuk and is only marginally more productive than guys that play 10 minutes a night exclusively with other guys who struggle to produce then Bennett's 'ranking' doesn't mean anything.

That you're fixated on 'ranking' tells me you already know this and are reticent to share that data.
It tells you nothing.

This is an odd conversation. I've literally brought data in every which direction and mostly by request and you have to have the answers in your format or I'm hiding something?

That's very bizarre.

A ranking of stats is the stats ... ranked. So if Bennett is ranked higher than Hathaway on most of the lists ... he's ranked higher than Hathaway.

If you're giving someone the rankings it is the stats.

There is nothing to hide when a player out ranks most of the guys on the list that requested.

Code:
Player	TOI	Goals/60	First Assists/60	Shots/60	ixG/60	iCF/60	iSCF/60	iHDCF/60
Michael Frolik	813	0.89	0.66	9.3	0.69	15.36	9.01	3.32
Mark Jankowski	809	0.59	0.59	5.93	0.6	12.53	7.86	2.89
Sam Bennett	804	0.67	0.75	7.31	0.78	12.98	9.18	4.63
Derek Ryan	793	0.76	0.61	6.05	0.55	10.07	6.05	3.25
James Neal	785	0.38	0.46	8.26	0.61	14.38	7.88	2.68
G Hathaway	649	0.83	0.18	6.1	0.62	11.18	7.3	3.42
Austin Czarnik	526	0.57	0.57	5.48	0.63	10.84	7.76	2.62
A Mangiapane	435	1.1	0.41	8.42	0.78	12.7	8.97	4.42
Dillon Dube	232	0.26	0	4.66	0.62	9.07	5.18	3.63
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 09:41 AM   #290
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
I wouldn't want to be paying Bennett $4M either, but I'd also rather have Bennett than the 2nd round pick.
Old 05-18-2019, 10:07 AM   #291
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

It will never happen but if the choice was Bennett at say 3 years by $4 million or a 2nd round pick?

Well I'd have to take the pick. He is obviously worth more than a 2nd rounder but you can't go around paying supporting players that much. The team would never get any better.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 10:21 AM   #292
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I'd only give Bennett anything close to $4 million if it was accompanied by a much longer term than 3 years.

Really hoping the Zucker trade goes through because it would really balance the lineup.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 10:38 AM   #293
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
It will never happen but if the choice was Bennett at say 3 years by $4 million or a 2nd round pick?

Well I'd have to take the pick. He is obviously worth more than a 2nd rounder but you can't go around paying supporting players that much. The team would never get any better.
Yeah as Scorp says no way at three years.

Eight years and you would have a decision to make. Does he get better? Stay the same? Not likely he falls off in eight years. Does the cap go up 2.5% every year? If so he would go from 4.8% of the cap to 3.9% of the cap over the life of the eight years.

If someone wants Bennett go to $4.3M and you can have him with little argument from this site I would imagine.
Old 05-18-2019, 11:23 AM   #294
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Yeah as Scorp says no way at three years.

Eight years and you would have a decision to make. Does he get better? Stay the same? Not likely he falls off in eight years. Does the cap go up 2.5% every year? If so he would go from 4.8% of the cap to 3.9% of the cap over the life of the eight years.

If someone wants Bennett go to $4.3M and you can have him with little argument from this site I would imagine.
Agreed other than I just wouldn’t sign Bennett to an 8 year deal. Not enough upside there IMO to take on that kind of term/risk as an organization.
Old 05-18-2019, 11:28 AM   #295
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
I'd only give Bennett anything close to $4 million if it was accompanied by a much longer term than 3 years.

Really hoping the Zucker trade goes through because it would really balance the lineup.
So that would mean no 1st round pick again. Or 2nd rounder. I don’t know about that. Seems like we want to sign everybody to long term contracts too.

Where are the guys on ELC’s or cheap contracts going to come from?
Old 05-18-2019, 11:28 AM   #296
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

4 Million?

Can anyone come up with a single comparable to bennett that is at even 3 million?

The highest paid player in Bennett's rough age bracket producing roughly similar offensive statistics is miles Wood and he makes 2.75 over 4 and scored 19 goals.

Seriously, are we all just throwing numbers into the air here or are we actually looking around the league at comparable players and what they signed for after producing less than 30 points and 20 goals in the majority of their careers?
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 11:38 AM   #297
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
4 Million?

Can anyone come up with a single comparable to bennett that is at even 3 million?

The highest paid player in Bennett's rough age bracket producing roughly similar offensive statistics is miles Wood and he makes 2.75 over 4 and scored 19 goals.

Seriously, are we all just throwing numbers into the air here or are we actually looking around the league at comparable players and what they signed for after producing less than 30 points and 20 goals in the majority of their careers?
$4M isn't what anyone wants to or thinks Bennett should be paid. Someone suggested pages ago that he'd do $4M for 8 years and it's pretty close to the line between 2nd round pick and 1st round pick compensation for a RFA signing.

I think 3 years and $2.75
Old 05-18-2019, 12:10 PM   #298
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think there are a few posters that think a long term deal at $4 million plus is a good idea. One said they’d go to $4.8.

It is a little hard to believe that it’s even being discussed.
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2019, 12:12 PM   #299
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I think Miles Wood is actually an excellent comparable, thanks Flash for bringing him up

I think 4x$2.75 would be great for both parties

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 12:14 PM   #300
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
$4M isn't what anyone wants to or thinks Bennett should be paid. Someone suggested pages ago that he'd do $4M for 8 years and it's pretty close to the line between 2nd round pick and 1st round pick compensation for a RFA signing.

I think 3 years and $2.75

Is there a team in the league that would realistically surrender a 1st round pick for Bennett?

If so, the Flames should be all over that deal hoping that club doesnt finish high in the standings.

It still feels like 2.75 is way more than what he provides, but in reality that is probably what it will take. I dont care about buying UFA years either as IMO he wont be anything more than a mediocre role player from here on out and those are guys you do not "buy" years of so they wont be lost.