Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2019, 10:54 AM   #121
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Yeah, with Hathaway's departure I could see Rinaldo earning a contract in that 13th forward POS tough guy role easily, ala Tanner Glass.

I don't like Rinaldo as a player (just like I didn't like Glass), however Glass 100% earned a contract based on his camp and pre-season.

Dressing Prout in that type of role last year didn't really work because then you're down to 5 NHL defencemen. Much easier to dress a F like Rinaldo in key games when needed IMO.
I thought having the nuclear lucic option was supposed to negate the need to have these types of players on the roster.

I hoped, anyway.

When Glass signed it's because the Flames needed warm bodies. I don't see that as the case anymore.

I could see Rinaldo signed but more for the AHL, have him show Lomberg how to put on the foil or the proper way to strap phonebooks to your shoulder pads. Maybe he gets a couple of looks midseason if there are some bottom 6 injuries.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 11:02 AM   #122
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Ideally yes, in a perfect world Lucic solves all of the Flames' issues with a lack of physicality and toughness.

But even with Lucic the Flames seem too soft for my liking. There are certain games and moments when I think having a Rinaldo type player is worth it.

Our hit leaders last year:
1. Hathaway (200)
2. Bennett (121)
3. Tkachuk (104)
4. Hanifin (87)

Rinaldo threw 188, 154, and 216 hits in 53, 52, and 58 games the past 3 full seasons he was healthy for. I don't think he should be playing that much for us, but if we can upgrade on Lomberg for league minimum, I'm all for it.

Same principle as having Stone/Davidson/MacDonald instead of Prout/Valiev/whoever in that depth role. A league minimum upgrade at any position is worthwhile to me.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2019, 11:04 AM   #123
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Zac seems like a great guy and all but we can't be using roster spots for guys that don't produce just because of this desire for toughness. We'll be the tough team that lost 5-3.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2019, 12:24 PM   #124
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

For me, it isn't just about the ability to fight. Rinaldo is a useful player because you really have to be aware of him when he is out there, and seeing him coming at you hard makes you move the puck faster than you want. Plus, you can't really expect Lucic to address everything out there - when the game becomes a bit chippy, Lucic MAY be able to settle it down, but it sure would be nice if the Flames could play a variety of styles. I have always felt that in recent years, this team just performs worse when faced with physical teams playing chippy. Lucic can't bridge that on his own - you need your team to have the ability to play that type of sandpaper game when needed, especially come playoff time.

I definitely wouldn't mind signing Rinaldo for that purpose. Bennett, Tkachuk, Rinaldo, Lucic, Hamonic - that at least bridges the gap a bit, especially when you factor-in that Calgary dresses a number of below average sized players in Gaudreau, Ryan, Mangiapane (and more in the pipeline), a defence that doesn't play rugged (except the aforementioned Hamonic), and even their average to above average players for the most part don't play physical (Monahan, Jankowski, Frolik).

I would love Calgary to be a team that can beat you in different ways and are really difficult to be thrown off their gameplan.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2019, 12:28 PM   #125
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
For me, it isn't just about the ability to fight. Rinaldo is a useful player because you really have to be aware of him when he is out there, and seeing him coming at you hard makes you move the puck faster than you want. Plus, you can't really expect Lucic to address everything out there - when the game becomes a bit chippy, Lucic MAY be able to settle it down, but it sure would be nice if the Flames could play a variety of styles. I have always felt that in recent years, this team just performs worse when faced with physical teams playing chippy. Lucic can't bridge that on his own - you need your team to have the ability to play that type of sandpaper game when needed, especially come playoff time.

I definitely wouldn't mind signing Rinaldo for that purpose. Bennett, Tkachuk, Rinaldo, Lucic, Hamonic - that at least bridges the gap a bit, especially when you factor-in that Calgary dresses a number of below average sized players in Gaudreau, Ryan, Mangiapane (and more in the pipeline), a defence that doesn't play rugged (except the aforementioned Hamonic), and even their average to above average players for the most part don't play physical (Monahan, Jankowski, Frolik).

I would love Calgary to be a team that can beat you in different ways and are really difficult to be thrown off their gameplan.
I fully agree with this, the benefit of Rinaldo is that he can skate. There is guys who bang or fight out there that are pylons; you don't get that many hits if you can't skate and can't see the ice. You can bet people think twice about a stretch pass up the middle when he is in a game.
Old 09-12-2019, 12:54 PM   #126
wretched34
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemenz View Post
I fully agree with this, the benefit of Rinaldo is that he can skate. There is guys who bang or fight out there that are pylons; you don't get that many hits if you can't skate and can't see the ice. You can bet people think twice about a stretch pass up the middle when he is in a game.
But, Lucic has the second most hits in the NHL over the last 2 years combined, and most people say he's a useless plug who can't keep up with the game anymore... Rinaldo in the same time ranks 127th on that list.
wretched34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 07:51 AM   #127
The Original FFIV
First Line Centre

Exp:

DSP off to KHL in China

The Kunlun Red Star has signed a one-year contract with Devante Smith-Pelly. The winger has won the Stanley Cup champion with the Washington Capitals in 2018. #krs #redstarhockey
The Original FFIV is offline   Reply With Quote