Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2018, 04:49 PM   #61
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
What is it that a lot of people don’t like about Ferraro’ colour? I think he is great—easily one of the most knowledgeable and insightful in-game broadcasters, and he is a very good communicator. He does a regular segment on local Vancouver radio, and it is always really good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
His 11 second pauses mid sentence.

I’m not one to make fun of someone’s speech or appearance... but he’s paid to speak. Get it out man.

Very insightful though, overall he’s great. Just drives me crazy at the same time.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 04:56 PM   #62
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bob Cole: “There goes the buzzer and here come the Flames!”. Never forget.

South of the border I love Sam Rosen, the voice of the Rangers. He called an NFL game yesterday.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 05:21 PM   #63
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
For me bob Cole and harry neale are the gold standard. I also really liked Don Wittman -who may be easily one of the most versatile broadcasters ever as he was good at hockey, football, curling, track and field.

Joe Bowen of the leafs is also enjoyable.

I’d like to hear more of that guy from the penguins with all the sayings - his name escapes me at the moment
Is he the ‘Holy Mackinaw’ guy? That’s a non starter. For that alone, he is awful.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2018, 05:25 PM   #64
N26
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I often can't watch games (why am I paying for Centre Ice?) so I put the audio streams on the NHL App and listen to teams radio broadcasters quite a lot. The extra challenge of describing the visual does separate the men from the boys.

My favourite by far is (was?) Chuck Kaiton of the Hurricanes. Good voice, great call. Did it without a colour guy for many years and he had a bit of everything you need. He was knowledgeable about the game, both in general and about the team. He was there when they were the Hartford Whalers too. He loved the game and explained it well to the many newbies in North Carolina. Not just the rules but he would explain very clearly why players did the things they did. Even during the flow of play. One I remember well was "Whitney circles back on holds up on the far boards, he's letting the far-side defenseman make the long 2nd period change before launching forward". He did that kind of stuff all the time. He interviewed well. He had a level of excitement about the game that didn't waver. He rarely screamed and he never went through the motions. Given the choice of several games I would often pick the Carolina game because of him.

I understand he was let go this summer by the team and I am disappointed to hear that. I heard he made a pro-Ron Francis remark after Francis was originally shuffled into the background but that is only rumour. There's a lot of change in Carolina with the new owner a some of it seems to be 'new broom sweeps clean' stuff.

The worst by far is Dean Brown in Ottawa. Constantly in a bad mood and heaven forbid if a referee makes a mistake. He will bitch and whine for ages and blow it completely out-of-proportion. He also will pontificate on other things and comes across like he thinks he is the only person left on Earth who has any common sense. He even has a go on non-Hockey things. I once heard him start one of his rants by literally saying "kids today..."

Bob Stauffer in Edmonton is the worst colour guy. I recognize that there is some serious bias in that but he's bad. Terrible homer and a long and inexcusable record of being a regime apologist. Often criticized for the latter, he sometimes does cue-card Crazy Ivans that sound so disingenuous it can be staggering. It's like the producer said "Bob your tongue is way too far up Lowe's butt tonight say something from this file I made"

As for the TV guys I agree that Cuthbert is great and Cole was great but has been tainted by the end of his career. I remember watching a game a few years ago with Cole and Harry Neale on colour. Cole was mispronouncing names 5 seconds behind the play all night while Harry filled in the gaps with weak analysis and anecdotes 20 years out-of-date.

One more comment. When I moved to Canada and my English was still shaky, Howie Meeker used to do in-between period analysis on his telestrator. A hockey player myself who had been told by my new Canadian coach that I had to learn team play and defence I took Meeker's play breakdowns very seriously. But his idiomatic language and gentle slide into incoherent rage left me, and my parents trying to help me, so confused. I'd sit there with my notebook and a pencil writing down bits of hockey wisdom that would be unintelligble as little as 10 minutes later while my father tried to find 'golly gee wilikers' and 'jumpin jehosaphats' in the dictionary and my mother would openly question whether Meeker was, in fact, speaking English. Drove us crazy at the time but is a wonderful memory now.
N26 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to N26 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2018, 05:32 PM   #65
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Is he the ‘Holy Mackinaw’ guy? That’s a non starter. For that alone, he is awful.
I think it's actually "macadaw". Don't ask me what that means. I assume nothing whatsoever.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2018, 05:32 PM   #66
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Never liked Cole, but mainly because of homerism and his diss of the Flames I heard once. I held a grudge for a long time.
Homerism for who? I have never in the 30+ years of watching hockey ever heard Bob Cole diss any team.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2018, 05:38 PM   #67
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks to EA Sports, Jim Hughson and Bill Clement.
Old 10-08-2018, 05:42 PM   #68
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Loubardias (on TV) was fun. Can't remember who was on color then though.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 06:46 PM   #69
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppet Guy View Post
Harnarayan Singh and Bhupinder Hundal.
Harnaryan is an excellent host on HNIC.
Old 10-08-2018, 06:55 PM   #70
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Am I the only one who enjoys Mike Johnson's colour commentary?

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2018, 06:59 PM   #71
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

I knew it would be tough when we lost Maher but man I miss him. I used to seek out his calls of big goals just to hear them. I don't do that anymore.
I really like Rick Ball, I think he's one of the best.
Bob Cole can understand the emotional rhythm of a game and anticipate big moments better than anyone. He's the voice of my generation.
I always like the earnest and gritty approach of Steve Armitage

Right now Cuthbert for me is the best.
Hughson is really good but seems to get caught up too much in his home team calls.

I too didn't mind the Canuck guys

Perhaps the most the surprising thing is the emergence of Louie Debrusk as a color guy. Not only do I not mind him, I think he's very good and only going to get better.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2018, 06:59 PM   #72
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Simmer?
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 06:59 PM   #73
Hey Connor, It's Mess
First Line Centre

Exp:

I actually quite like Louie Debrusk as a colour guy. He's not the typical Oilers kool-aid drinker and is often enjoyable to listen to. He was very good as a replacement for Hrudey a few times in the last couple years on the Flames broadcast.

Gord Miller and Ray Ferraro are probably my favourite duo, even if Ferraro can be grating to listen to at times. The two have great chemistry.
Hey Connor, It's Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 07:00 PM   #74
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
No.

I will add he is fantastic on NHL Network Radio. Hes a very insightful analyst/colour guy.
Old 10-08-2018, 07:00 PM   #75
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Probably Charles Simmer.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 07:01 PM   #76
Hey Connor, It's Mess
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Mike Johnson is excellent actually. I havent heard him do as many games since the Sportsnet deal but he's one of the best imo.
Hey Connor, It's Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 07:36 PM   #77
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Totally forgot about him but now that you reminded me, yeah, he is good.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 07:56 PM   #78
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
What is it that a lot of people don’t like about Ferraro’ colour? I think he is great—easily one of the most knowledgeable and insightful in-game broadcasters, and he is a very good communicator. He does a regular segment on local Vancouver radio, and it is always really good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
He is negative. He'll find the negative in the defenders play, even when the offense gave the defenders no choice. Quite the same if a team doesn't score... they're not good enough, yet no recognition will go to the defenders for doing a stellar job.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 08:59 PM   #79
FlamesKickAss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
I think it's actually "macadaw". Don't ask me what that means. I assume nothing whatsoever.
Macinaw

http://holymackinaw.ca
FlamesKickAss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 09:30 PM   #80
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
He is negative. He'll find the negative in the defenders play, even when the offense gave the defenders no choice. Quite the same if a team doesn't score... they're not good enough, yet no recognition will go to the defenders for doing a stellar job.
Yeah sometimes it seems he gets in a bad mood and just starts ripping on a team’s performance. Although I love it when he does it to the Oilers.