Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Donald Trump's first 100 days have been a success.
Agree 45 11.00%
Not sure 22 5.38%
Disagree 342 83.62%
Voters: 409. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 07-03-2017, 09:06 AM   #5661
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

What?
Old 07-03-2017, 09:10 AM   #5662
MikeRPG
Lifetime Suspension

Well based on Duff no conspiracies ever existed, would like some more clarification.
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeRPG For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2017, 09:12 AM   #5663
RougeUnderoos
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRPG View Post
So conspiracies do happen then?
What are you trying to get at here? Conspiracies happen. Of course they do. It's a real word for a reason.

"Conspiracy theories" as the phrase is used today is different than just a generic "conspiracy".

Old 07-03-2017, 09:16 AM   #5664
MikeRPG
Lifetime Suspension

Quote:
Originally Posted by RougeUnderoos View Post
What are you trying to get at here? Conspiracies happen. Of course they do. It's a real word for a reason.

"Conspiracy theories" as the phrase is used today is different than just a generic "conspiracy".
I'm not trying to get at anything, he was the one that said it.

So investigation of a real conspiracy that is unresolved would then make one a conspiracy theorist... but they aren't real? Still going to need some clarification on that one.
Old 07-03-2017, 09:24 AM   #5665
RougeUnderoos
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

So investigation of a real conspiracy that is unresolved would then make one a conspiracy theorist... but they aren't real? Still going to need some clarification on that one.
It depends.

For example, if a person believes that Hillary's team conspired to cover up the email server business, that's one thing. They probably did because that makes sense. That's not what most people would call a "conspiracy theory".

If a person believes that Hillary was involved in an underage underground pizza parolor sex ring, that person is a "conspiracy theorist" and a moron.

You got a point beyond this weird semantics exercise?

The Following User Says Thank You to RougeUnderoos For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2017, 09:25 AM   #5666
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Oh great. Another inane argument over the meaning of a word used in sentence when the intent was pretty clear in context.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2017, 09:29 AM   #5667
MikeRPG
Lifetime Suspension

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Oh great. Another inane argument over the meaning of a word used in sentence when the intent was pretty clear in context.

It wasn't clear hence why I'm asking. It was a statement of absolute that requires clarification. Sorry if it offends you but I'd like to know what he meant by conspiracy theories don't exist in reality.
Old 07-03-2017, 09:39 AM   #5668
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

If a conspiracy theory exists then it isn't a conspiracy theory anymore is it? If it's proven to exist then it's just a conspiracy.
Old 07-03-2017, 09:40 AM   #5669
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It wasn't clear hence why I'm asking. It was a statement of absolute that requires clarification. Sorry if it offends you but I'd like to know what he meant by conspiracy theories don't exist in reality.
That's not what he said. He said, "Conspiracy theories are not reality." He did not claim that conspiracy theories do not exist in reality, just that conspiracy theories are not reality. Very different from the spin you put on your interpretation of his words. Rouge presented a good example of the difference between the two states.
Old 07-03-2017, 09:49 AM   #5670
MikeRPG
Lifetime Suspension

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
That's not what he said. He said, "Conspiracy theories are not reality." He did not claim that conspiracy theories do not exist in reality, just that conspiracy theories are not reality. Very different from the spin you put on your interpretation of his words. Rouge presented a good example of the difference between the two states.
I'm not putting spin on anything. So conspiracy theories are not reality. In what sense?

In the empirical use of the word theory? Is that what you're supporting?
Old 07-03-2017, 09:52 AM   #5671
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

A July 2017 signup date and mostly posts in the American politics thread? Dis going to be good.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KelVarnsen For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2017, 09:53 AM   #5672
MikeRPG
Lifetime Suspension

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelVarnsen View Post
A July 2017 signup date and mostly posts in the American politics thread? Dis going to be good.
You will be bored by me. Don't get your hopes up.
Old 07-03-2017, 09:56 AM   #5673
Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

This seems like a pretty good definition (from Wikipedia):

A conspiracy theory is an explanation of an event or situation that invokes a conspiracy without warrant, generally one involving an illegal or harmful act carried out by government or other powerful actors. Conspiracy theories often produce hypotheses that contradict the prevailing understanding of history or simple facts. The term is a derogatory one.[3]
Old 07-03-2017, 10:01 AM   #5674
RougeUnderoos
Franchise Player

Exp:

Moving on (hopefully) from this fascinating discussion, this Chris Christie story is funny in a "what a jackass this guy is" way.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/03/n...=top-news&_r=0

Gist of it is he was responsible for shutting down some beaches, barring other people from going there (for bureaucratic/budgetary reason) but then held a birthday party for his son on the closed beach. He apparently used a helicopter to take his family to and from the private beach day.

Now I don't think he specifically closed the beach for his own private party, but I am saying he's sleazy enough and greedy enough to not see how bad this looks. But we all knew that.

His approval rating is (or was before this) at 15% so maybe he just doesn't care. He was awfully truculent in today's press conference when asked about it all.

Old 07-03-2017, 10:04 AM   #5675
MikeRPG
Lifetime Suspension

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makarov View Post
This seems like a pretty good definition (from Wikipedia):

A conspiracy theory is an explanation of an event or situation that invokes a conspiracy without warrant[3]
And this is the generally accepted definition?

Unwarranted theories do exist, obviously. So what is the term for a warranted explanation of an event or situation specifically in regards to conspiracies?

Last edited by MikeRPG; 07-03-2017 at 10:09 AM.
Old 07-03-2017, 10:22 AM   #5676
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RougeUnderoos View Post
Moving on (hopefully) from this fascinating discussion, this Chris Christie story is funny in a "what a jackass this guy is" way.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/03/n...=top-news&_r=0

Gist of it is he was responsible for shutting down some beaches, barring other people from going there (for bureaucratic/budgetary reason) but then held a birthday party for his son on the closed beach. He apparently used a helicopter to take his family to and from the private beach day.

Now I don't think he specifically closed the beach for his own private party, but I am saying he's sleazy enough and greedy enough to not see how bad this looks. But we all knew that.

His approval rating is (or was before this) at 15% so maybe he just doesn't care. He was awfully truculent in today's press conference when asked about it all.
So Christie is a real life Eric Cartman?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KelVarnsen For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2017, 10:36 AM   #5677
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So no conspiracy has ever occurred and CNN doesn't lie? Gotcha
CNN doesn't lie, no. We've debunked this one already. Keep up
Old 07-03-2017, 10:41 AM   #5678
MikeRPG
Lifetime Suspension

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
CNN doesn't lie, no. We've debunked this one already. Keep up
This must be troll bait... right? You're just trying to get me harumphed.
Old 07-03-2017, 10:46 AM   #5679
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
This must be troll bait... right? You're just trying to get me harumphed.
Ok cool then provide some evidence. You think CNN lies? Sweet let's see it. Provide some proof. Yes we get it #NotAllConspiracies are moron backed pizza place child sex ring stupidity, some are regular old nutter 9/11 was an inside job "pull it" stupidity.

What's your endgame here? I mean other than providing some brief entertainment in this joyless wasteland that is the current American political environment?
Old 07-03-2017, 10:48 AM   #5680
MikeRPG
Lifetime Suspension

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
Ok cool then provide some evidence. You think CNN lies? Sweet let's see it. Provide some proof. Yes we get it #NotAllConspiracies are moron backed pizza place child sex ring stupidity, some are regular old nutter 9/11 was an inside job "pull it" conspiracy.

What's your endgame here? I mean other than providing some brief entertainment in this joyless wasteland that is the current American political environment?
There is no endgame. I like to study empiricism, psychology and political science. I find the discourse in here highly valuable in terms of analysis. The response was as predicted with specific trend phrases being used rhetorically as a reflex in modern culture. Your pattern of response is typical, including topics I would never have brought up but you forced into the conversation to rhetorically dissuade.

Asking for evidence for a claim I never made is futile.

Last edited by MikeRPG; 07-03-2017 at 10:54 AM.
Closed Thread

Tags
america first=loss , healthcare=loss , so much winning... , thats damn good covfefe , there will be tweetstorms