Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Ivrnet

View Poll Results: Which goaltender do you hope will be starting for the Flames in the 201718 Season?
Jonathan Bernier (UFA) 11 1.76%
Mike Condon (UFA) 5 0.80%
Brian Elliott (UFA) 51 8.16%
Marc Andre-Fleury (Trade) 219 35.04%
Jon Gillies 33 5.28%
Philipp Grubauer (Trade) 73 11.68%
Jaroslav Halak (Trade) 10 1.60%
Chad Johnson (UFA) 3 0.48%
Joonis Korpisalo (Trade) 25 4.00%
Steve Mason (UFA) 14 2.24%
Ryan Miller (UFA) 22 3.52%
Peter Mrazek (Trade) 19 3.04%
Micheal Neuvirth (Trade) 0 0%
Calvin Pickard (Trade) 18 2.88%
Antti Raanta (Trade) 78 12.48%
David Rittich 4 0.64%
Mike Smith (Trade) 35 5.60%
Cam Ward (Trade) 5 0.80%
Voters: 625. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2017, 06:30 PM   #641
dammage79
Franchise Player
 
dammage79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Victoria
Exp:
Default

I've said it before, Mason is the perfect storm of checked off criteria the Flames want. Young-ish, proven, free to acquire and a perfectly reasonable salary (under 5m). Any less than 4 years on contract is a win for the Flames in my humble estimation. And you can still go out and grab a backup if you don't feel Gillies or Rittich can handle 30 or less starts.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2017, 06:50 PM   #642
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player
 
Roof-Daddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Exp:
Default

Steve Mason from 2013/14 to 2015/16 (3 seasons)

League HD sv% 0.809
Mason HD sv% 0.808
Teammate HD sv% 0.775

League MD sv% 0.924
Mason MD sv% 0.939
Teammate MD sv% 0.916

League LD sv% 0.979
Mason LD sv% 0.984
Teammate LD sv% 0.980

League ADJ sv% 0.923
Mason ADJ sv% 0.931
Teammate ADJ sv% 0.914

That's handling a starters workload for a so-so team. He crushed LD and MD, while being right about league average for HD, so for a team that doesn't give up a ton of HD chances it's a pretty good fit. He also crushed his team mates numbers through those three seasons.

Last season was a drop off though.

League HD sv% 0.812
Mason HD sv% 0.767

League MD sv% 0.925
Mason MD sv% 0.914

League LD sv% 0.979
Mason LD sv% 0.986

Held steady with LD chances but dropped considerably with both MD and HD shots.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2017, 09:35 PM   #643
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player
 
FlamesAddiction's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Kingston
Exp:
Default

I feel a little uneasy about Mason, but of all the veteran names floating around (Miller, Fleury, Smith, Elliott), he is the one I would prefer.

Something like a Mason/Raanta duo would be good IMO.
__________________
"A pessimist thinks things can't get any worse. An optimist knows they can."
FlamesAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FlamesAddiction For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2017, 10:16 PM   #644
1qqaaz
Powerplay Quarterback
 
1qqaaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

I think the Flames should have one of
Mason/Elliott as the starter (1A)

And then one of
Raanta/Grubauer as the 1B with upside.

I think the Flames would have a decent season.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 10:27 AM   #645
Lord Carnage
Crash and Bang Winger
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
This graph doesn't yet include last year, but does include general career trends (minimum 600 minutes per 82 game season):

Shot-Quality-Adjusted Goals Saved Above Average Per Hour By Age



The line that starts at 24 and ends at 26 should be labelled Raanta. Definitely a compelling case here for steve Mason.


Can you explain what that chart is supposed to mean, and how to read it?

Also, why does that puke green line have Grubauer's name on one end, and Elliot's on the other?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lord Carnage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 12:29 PM   #646
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player
 
Cali Panthers Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I feel a little uneasy about Mason, but of all the veteran names floating around (Miller, Fleury, Smith, Elliott), he is the one I would prefer.

Something like a Mason/Raanta duo would be good IMO.
Based on the likely acquisition cost, that's a duo I can live with. If for whatever reason Mason falters again this year, Raanta has proven to be more than a capable backup, and could likely take over as the starter if needed.

Sign me up.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
If we can't fall in love with replaceable bottom 6 players then the terrorists have won.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 02:57 PM   #647
MissTeeks
Franchise Player
 
MissTeeks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Jackets have signed Korpisalo to a two year extension.

https://www.nhl.com/bluejackets/news...-9/c-289856984
__________________
The Quest stands upon the edge of a knife. Stray but a little, and it will fail, to the ruin of all. Yet hope remains while the Company is true. Go Flames Go!

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.
MissTeeks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 10:58 PM   #648
dammage79
Franchise Player
 
dammage79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Victoria
Exp:
Default

He is still a target for LV though is he not?
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 11:15 PM   #649
Lord Carnage
Crash and Bang Winger
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
He is still a target for LV though is he not?


CBJ has to protect Bobrovsky... so all it means is that he has a contract now if Vegas wants him.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lord Carnage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 11:43 PM   #650
Flamescuprun2018
Crash and Bang Winger
 
Flamescuprun2018's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
I've said it before, Mason is the perfect storm of checked off criteria the Flames want. Young-ish, proven, free to acquire and a perfectly reasonable salary (under 5m). Any less than 4 years on contract is a win for the Flames in my humble estimation. And you can still go out and grab a backup if you don't feel Gillies or Rittich can handle 30 or less starts.
Nice analysis and compelling.

Mason/Johnson tandem is my vote. No point giving up assets. We dont have the picks this year anyways and dont see us mortgaging the farm with 2018 picks. Would have to be a 4 max deal. If he wants alot longer forget it. Is bad year probably helps to keep the term shorter.

Johnson more than capable back-up and wants to be in Calgary. Likely 1 year deal for 2 million or so too, keeps door open for Rittich or Gillies to surpass him now or in a year.

Only wildcard in all this is LVs strategy. I would not be surprised if LV picks 4 or 5 goalies to unload them for young assets. But what would we give back. Cupboard not full enough of D-men to give up an asset. Winger prospect pool weak and too early to move one of Rittich or Gillies.
Flamescuprun2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 11:54 PM   #651
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player
 
Calgary4LIfe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamescuprun2018 View Post
Nice analysis and compelling.

Mason/Johnson tandem is my vote. No point giving up assets. We dont have the picks this year anyways and dont see us mortgaging the farm with 2018 picks. Would have to be a 4 max deal. If he wants alot longer forget it. Is bad year probably helps to keep the term shorter.

Johnson more than capable back-up and wants to be in Calgary. Likely 1 year deal for 2 million or so too, keeps door open for Rittich or Gillies to surpass him now or in a year.

Only wildcard in all this is LVs strategy. I would not be surprised if LV picks 4 or 5 goalies to unload them for young assets. But what would we give back. Cupboard not full enough of D-men to give up an asset. Winger prospect pool weak and too early to move one of Rittich or Gillies.
Depending on what the Mavericks want, there may not be room for Rittich in the organization, unless the Flames find teams to loan out both McCollum and MacDonald. Thank goodness Schneider is going back to the CHL.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 10:41 AM   #652
Bingo
Owner
 
Bingo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Arizona writer has it all figuered out ...

Smith for Hamilton!

https://realsport101.com/news/sports...ugie-hamilton/

Don't worry he thinks they'll have to sweeten the pot!
Bingo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 10:45 AM   #653
Reign of Fire
First Line Centre
 
Reign of Fire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Reppin' the C in NYC
Exp:
Default



Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Arizona writer has it all figuered out ...

Smith for Hamilton!

https://realsport101.com/news/sports...ugie-hamilton/

Don't worry he thinks they'll have to sweeten the pot!
Reign of Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 10:50 AM   #654
Redrum
Powerplay Quarterback
 
Redrum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Exp:
Default

Sweeten the pot with who? OEL?
Redrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 11:28 AM   #655
Samonadreau
First Line Centre
 
Samonadreau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: North
Exp:
Default

Even Yotes fans were completely roasting this proposal in the comments section.
Samonadreau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 08:41 PM   #656
Jeff Lebowski
Crash and Bang Winger
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Exp:
Default

Looks like 5% got their wish.
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:22 AM.

Calgary Flames
2017-18




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Calgarypuck 2016