Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

View Poll Results: Which goaltender do you hope will be starting for the Flames in the 2017–18 Season?
Jonathan Bernier (UFA) 11 1.76%
Mike Condon (UFA) 5 0.80%
Brian Elliott (UFA) 51 8.16%
Marc Andre-Fleury (Trade) 219 35.04%
Jon Gillies 33 5.28%
Philipp Grubauer (Trade) 73 11.68%
Jaroslav Halak (Trade) 10 1.60%
Chad Johnson (UFA) 3 0.48%
Joonis Korpisalo (Trade) 25 4.00%
Steve Mason (UFA) 14 2.24%
Ryan Miller (UFA) 22 3.52%
Peter Mrazek (Trade) 19 3.04%
Micheal Neuvirth (Trade) 0 0%
Calvin Pickard (Trade) 18 2.88%
Antti Raanta (Trade) 78 12.48%
David Rittich 4 0.64%
Mike Smith (Trade) 35 5.60%
Cam Ward (Trade) 5 0.80%
Voters: 625. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-12-2017, 01:32 PM   #41
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
Well that's what Cam Talbot and Martin Jones were.

Just goes to show how incredibly lucky the Oilers were with not only McDavid, but also with Talbot.

Talbot could have been a complete bust too. Kinda sucks really. Treliving acquires the goalie with the best statistical numbers over recent years and he goes and ####s the bed. Meanwhile the Oilers throw a magic bean in their goal and he sprouts into a Vezina candidate.
To be fair, Talbot played 36 games for the Rangers the season before he was traded, went 21-9-4 with a 0.926 save% and 2.21 GAA and was actually 7th in Vezina voting. (Tied with Quick and Hammond with just one vote so yeah, I guess he could have just been the next Hammond instead of what he did end up as)
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2017, 01:36 PM   #42
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
I'd be okay with Smith only if Treliving acquired one of the young goalies too. It can't be Smith and Chad Johnson. It has to be Smith and Grubauer/Pickard/Raanta.
Don't we want Gillies as backup next year? Of course he has to earn it though but don't want a contract to get in the way of him making the team.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 01:37 PM   #43
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
He is 25-years-old, and has a 0.922 SP in +40 NHL games over the course of the past two seasons. He has a good track record in the AHL and looks like he could be ready to take another step.
With Holtby in his prime and locked up until 2020 this trade would be more plausible than say the Predators trading Saros. I would move a guy like Ferland for him.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 01:40 PM   #44
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodieyouevenlift View Post
I would get behind either Raanta, or Grubauer. Definitely wouldn't be upset over MAF either.
I am not nearly as high on Raanta as I am on Grubauer. He has had a couple of solid NHL seasons in relief of Lundqvist now, but prior to that he looked just "okay" in the same way that Chad Johnson does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 01:40 PM   #45
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

If the Flames Go Grubauer or another goalie of that vintage who would you rather have as a backup? Johnson, Elliott, or a younger Flames goalie Rittich/Gillies?
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 01:43 PM   #46
East Coast Flame
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

MAF, Grubauer or Raanta are the only reasonable options that don't make me want to light my hair on fire.
East Coast Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 01:43 PM   #47
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
If the Flames Go Grubauer or another goalie of that vintage who would you rather have as a backup? Johnson, Elliott, or a younger Flames goalie Rittich/Gillies?
If they roll the dice on a young starter I would prefer a vet back up like Johnson or you could probably pick up Halak or Lack for cheap to play that role as well.
Old 05-12-2017, 01:43 PM   #48
Fan in Exile
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
Go with Elliot as the starter and get another high draft pick. Isn't the younger Tkachuck in next year's draft??

All kidding aside, I don't have an idea of who I'd want to start and no one here has any idea of who BT is targeting. I just have faith in the management team to get the best available option. In the past the Flames were rumoured to be interested in Jones, Talbot, Murray and a few others so I think they're targeting the right kinds of players, it's just a matter of landing one. Even getting Elliot last year was the best possible move IMO, they didn't want to mortgage the future to trade for one so they went with the best value, hopefully this year they land a better option.
Treliving has some other moves to his credit but on what basis do you have faith in the management team getting the best available option? Yes, they may have targeted the best available options in past years but they have never landed the best possible option. Elliott was not the best available option and neither was Hiller. They were defensible choices but clearly they were not the best options leading us back to where we are in this off-season... and most of us think the best available option just signed with Dallas.
Fan in Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 01:44 PM   #49
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
With Holtby in his prime and locked up until 2020 this trade would be more plausible than say the Predators trading Saros. I would move a guy like Ferland for him.
I sure wouldn't, nor would I expect it to cost that much. The last several goaltenders to have been traded have all returned nothing more than draft picks and prospects.

Ferland just finished his second NHL season, is only 25-years-old, and has improved in every year of his professional career since he was sent back to the WHL as an overager. He is a terrific skater, is big and strong, has a great shot, and really good hands in tight. There were moments this season where he looked to be on the cusp of putting it all together, and I think there is still another two years before we know exactly what kind of player Ferland is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2017, 01:44 PM   #50
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Or I wonder if they grab an unproven guy like that do they put all their eggs in one basket or do they grab, say, a Grubauer and sign a guy like Bernier to maybe push each other?

I'm sick of tandems, personally, but also not sure about grabbing an unproven guy and not having a plan B
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 01:45 PM   #51
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Probably Johnson in the case things go rocky. Grubaauer/Rittich for example is far too inexperienced for an ideal tandem.
Old 05-12-2017, 01:46 PM   #52
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I sure wouldn't, nor would I expect it to cost that much. The last several goaltenders to have been traded have all returned nothing more than draft picks and prospects.

Ferland just finished his second NHL season, is only 25-years-old, and has improved in every year of his professional career since he was sent back to the WHL as an overager. He is a terrific skater, is big and strong, has a great shot, and really good hands in tight. There were moments this season where he looked to be on the cusp of putting it all together, and I think there is still another two years before we know exactly what kind of player Ferland is.
Fans have to come to grips with the fact that no teams are going to do the Flames any favors and trade a quality backup goaltender for scraps. The entire league knows the Flames desperately need a starting goaltender. They have all the leverage as these teams don't need to trade their backup goaltenders. If you aren't willing to trade a movable piece like Ferland you may as well re-sign Elliott because the trades aren't going to happen.
Old 05-12-2017, 01:49 PM   #53
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

If the question is who do we hope for - shouldn't we all be voting Gillies? The simplest, least expensive option.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 01:50 PM   #54
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Or I wonder if they grab an unproven guy like that do they put all their eggs in one basket or do they grab, say, a Grubauer and sign a guy like Bernier to maybe push each other?

I'm sick of tandems, personally, but also not sure about grabbing an unproven guy and not having a plan B
Agreed about being sick of tandems but that is what the Flames should be prepared for if they are taking another teams backup and plan to make him a starter. I would vote bringing Johnson back if we get a Grubauer, Rannta, Pickard. I am not overly interested in 2 new goalies again. I keep Johnson unless the Flames add a high priced 60+ game starter
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2017, 01:50 PM   #55
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
If the question is who do we hope for - shouldn't we all be voting Gillies? The simplest, least expensive option.
It's not realistic because the Flames likely plan for him to start in the AHL next season. He's not ready.
Old 05-12-2017, 01:51 PM   #56
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why not Ryan Miller? I think he'd provide some stability. He seemed to play well on a terrible Vancouver team. Keep Johnson as back up. That way the Flames aren't giving up huge assets for a goalie and can invest cap space into the top 6.

I'm nervous the Flames will give too much for an all star goalie when all they really need is someone fairly stable between the pipes.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 01:51 PM   #57
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
I think we all HOPE no matter who we get that goalie does well.

The question though is who do you WANT? Which would imply who do you think would have the best chance to succeed. Gilies with less than 50 AHL games and only 1 NHL game probably doesn't give people much confidence being the starter next season. Down the road? Sure maybe, but he's still got a lot to prove.
Old 05-12-2017, 01:52 PM   #58
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan in Exile View Post
Treliving has some other moves to his credit but on what basis do you have faith in the management team getting the best available option? Yes, they may have targeted the best available options in past years but they have never landed the best possible option. Elliott was not the best available option and neither was Hiller. They were defensible choices but clearly they were not the best options leading us back to where we are in this off-season... and most of us think the best available option just signed with Dallas.
It just gives me faith that management is targeting the correct guys. Murray especially, the guy was pretty anonymous and we might have landed him if MAF didn't get injured.
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 01:55 PM   #59
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiracSpike View Post
It just gives me faith that management is targeting the correct guys. Murray especially, the guy was pretty anonymous and we might have landed him if MAF didn't get injured.
Yeah that's true.

Tried for Talbot, he worked out
Tried for Jones, he worked out
Tried for Murray, he worked out

Hopefully they pick another good one, but get their man this time.
Old 05-12-2017, 01:55 PM   #60
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

What is it going to cost to get MAF? It's not like Calgary is the only team in the NHL looking for goaltending, and Fleury is a cup winner currently carrying his team into the third round of the playoffs.

There may be questions of expansion exposure, but it's not like the penguins are going to give him away for free.

If MAF ends up in Calgary there is likely a significant asset or two going the other way. This isn't exactly a buy-low opportunity on Fleury. He was spectacular in Game 7 vs Washington.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote