Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2010, 04:20 PM   #1
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default I'm buying my first iMac, I need to ask you everything

Tips please. I'm making the switch to iMac from PC and I need some tips/justifications.

Also, I'm thinking of picking it up at Future Shop instead of a mac dealer/apple store. Any reason why I should or shouldn't? Does it make a difference where I buy it?
Old 09-27-2010, 04:20 PM   #2
silentsim
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

If you are a student or parent of a student you are eligible to get the student discount from Apple, FYI.
silentsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 04:29 PM   #3
skins
Self-Ban

Exp:

What I’ve especially liked about my iMac is more intuitive usability. It takes a little bit to figure out small differences when it comes to installing software, things like that, but I’ve found everything is fast and organized. Less time managing things like security, more time using fun software like iPhoto, iVideo, etc.

Bought mine on the Apple.ca website with student discount (10% I think). No shipping charges.
skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 04:58 PM   #4
ah123
First Line Centre

Exp:

Personally, I'd avoid FS and buy from directly from Apple - they have one-on-one sessions available (with an overview of Mac OSX features and opportunities to ask questions). You might also want to look at refurbished iMacs online.

If you're not very comfortable copying your old data over, they can do that for you (not sure about the cost).

And as mentioned, if you are eligible for educational price, it is definitely worth buying directly from Apple.
ah123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 05:11 PM   #5
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Congrats! I plan on purchasing one somewhere down the line as well...

What size of screen are you looking at? The large iMacs are freakin' wonderful to work with.
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 05:12 PM   #6
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ah123 View Post
Personally, I'd avoid FS and buy from directly from Apple - they have one-on-one sessions available (with an overview of Mac OSX features and opportunities to ask questions). You might also want to look at refurbished iMacs online.

If you're not very comfortable copying your old data over, they can do that for you (not sure about the cost).

And as mentioned, if you are eligible for educational price, it is definitely worth buying directly from Apple.

copying my old data over? Is it more complicated than

1. plug in removable HDD to pc
2. copy data to HDD
3. unplug
4. plug into mac
3. copy data.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames0910 View Post
Congrats! I plan on purchasing one somewhere down the line as well...

What size of screen are you looking at? The large iMacs are freakin' wonderful to work with.

Old 09-27-2010, 05:14 PM   #7
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
1. plug in removable HDD to pc
2. copy data to HDD
3. unplug
4. plug into mac
3. copy data.
Well, I would say it's fairly simple. But your ability to count has me worried.

If you're friends are anything like mine (some techies), you'll find a few who give you a hard time in jest about buying a Mac, and a few who are legitimately pissed that you dared to buy one (and then had the audacity to be happy with your purchase.) If this is an issue, well, you can't say you weren't warned. Especially if you have tech friends. You can defend yourself all day but they'll still resent the fact that you bought Apple.

Don't concern yourself with justifying or defending your purchase because it's a battle you won't win.

Edit: And here's a tip! Buy starcraft 2!

Last edited by Flames0910; 09-27-2010 at 05:22 PM.
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames0910 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2010, 05:20 PM   #8
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Depending on your needs (and your budget), I'd give consideration to refurbished iMacs. They're cosmetically identical to brand new ones and come with the same warranty. Right now you can get a 27" one for $1349.

I've got a refurbished 24" iMac that I bought about 2 1/2 years ago and it's the best computer I've ever owned. It runs as fast as the day I got it with absolutely no maintenance. I've never experienced even a minor hiccup with it, despite using it probably 4+ hours a day every day (I also use it for movies/music in my bedroom).

The lack of easy upgradability was a bit of a knock for me, but it's maintained its performance so well, I've never felt the need to beef it up. By the time I want better performance, I'll just sell it and get a 27" one. They hold their value exceptionally well, so if you do want to upgrade in a few years you can get back most of what you paid for it. I paid about $1300 for mine when I bought it and I see similar ones sell for $800-$1000. A 25-40% depreciation over several years is fantastic for a personal computer.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 05:24 PM   #9
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

First thing every new Mac owner needs to know:

Yes. There is a right-click. Activate it from the system preferences menu.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Russic For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2010, 05:26 PM   #10
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

T-shirts only come in XL.

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Regulator75 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2010, 05:30 PM   #11
c.t.ner
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by russic View Post
first thing every new mac owner needs to know:

Yes. There is a right-click. Activate it from the system preferences menu.
curses russic... Where were you one year ago!
c.t.ner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 05:39 PM   #12
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

*Inserts obligitory "iMacs are overpriced" comment*
3 Justin 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 05:40 PM   #13
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

AppleCare is a good idea, I think. Bear in mind when purchasing the machine that you have a full year (ie. before the stock 1 year warranty expires) to purchase AppleCare. So you can buy the machine now, and save up for AppleCare during the first year.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:48 PM   #14
EtchySketch9
Farm Team Player

Exp:

As has been already said... Don't buy from Future Shop, if you can, buy from the Apple Store or the Apple Store Online. I only say this because they tend to be more knowledgeable at the Apple stores/resellers and can answer any question you may have. FS may also try to get you to purchase some sketchy extended warranty coverage through their own company (don't bother!).

Sidenote: Applecare is nice to have as it will extend your complimentary 90-day support to a full 3 years (this is phone or web chat support). Applecare also extends your limited warranty from one year to three years. The good news is you don't have to buy it right away (which is pretty nice especially if you can't afford it right off the bat). If you can't afford it now, you can buy it down the road as long as it is within one year of date of purchase. Hope that helps, I'm a seasoned Mac vet, been using them since...forever.

Iggy bleeds Dodger Blue

Last edited by EtchySketch9; 09-27-2010 at 05:51 PM.
EtchySketch9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 05:53 PM   #15
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames0910 View Post
If you're friends are anything like mine (some techies), you'll find a few who give you a hard time in jest about buying a Mac, and a few who are legitimately pissed that you dared to buy one (and then had the audacity to be happy with your purchase.) If this is an issue, well, you can't say you weren't warned. Especially if you have tech friends. You can defend yourself all day but they'll still resent the fact that you bought Apple.
Tip of the day: If owning the prettiest Unix workstation on the market pisses off your geek friends...they aren’t really geeks.
Old 09-27-2010, 06:06 PM   #16
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

So if I know what I want and I can buy apple care online and I'm not concerned with tutorials is there a disadvantage to going to fs. The Mac store is kind of crazy far and I'm sure the chinook one will have Line ups for days. I mean it's the same product and the same price
Old 09-27-2010, 06:08 PM   #17
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclitheroe View Post
Tip of the day: If owning the prettiest Unix workstation on the market pisses off your geek friends...they aren’t really geeks.
Most geeks like to personally build and choose each and every hardware piece and get creative with their PC's.

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 06:12 PM   #18
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regulator75 View Post
Most geeks like to personally build and choose each and every hardware piece and get creative with their PC's.
Pfft...amateurs. Real geeks leave the hardware support to the juniors.

Old 09-27-2010, 06:45 PM   #19
RyZ
First Line Centre

Exp:

Bring a lot of money. If you are used to working/playing around PC's the Apple line is going to kick your wallets ass to get the same performance that you are used to.
RyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 06:55 PM   #20
silentsim
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyZ View Post
Bring a lot of money. If you are used to working/playing around PC's the Apple line is going to kick your wallets ass to get the same performance that you are used to.
silentsim is offline   Reply With Quote