Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-26-2011, 05:48 PM   #381
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Is there such a thing as an AirPlay dock? I don't want an entire receiver, I just want a device that'll plug into a receiver and let you play music via AirPlay.

I guess a more general question about AirPlay, where does the music have to be? Does it have to be in iTunes on a computer that's on? Or can it just be on an iPod/iPad/etc?
Old 12-26-2011, 08:08 PM   #382
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Is there such a thing as an AirPlay dock? I don't want an entire receiver, I just want a device that'll plug into a receiver and let you play music via AirPlay.
Assuming you want it to work with your existing wireless network an Airport Express router configured as a wireless client or an Apple TV would work, though the Apple TV only has a digital audio out while the Airport Express has a combo 1/8" + mini Toslink jack.

I needed a wireless router anyway so I bought an Airport express and have it next to my receiver so I can use it as a router and stream music to it.

Quote:
I guess a more general question about AirPlay, where does the music have to be? Does it have to be in iTunes on a computer that's on? Or can it just be on an iPod/iPad/etc?
Either way works. You can have a computer with iTunes as the source that you control either directly through iTunes or with the Remote App on an iPhone/iPad. Or you can stream directly from your iPhone/iPad but that's a little more battery intensive.

If you want you can also get multiple devices and set up different zones within your house. Then you can choose where to stream you music right from your computer/iPhone/iPad. In my experience they sync up exactly so if you play music in two or more zones within earshot of each other it'll sound good.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 08:19 PM   #383
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
am contemplating getting apple tv to be able to stream videos from the imac to my hdtv. i'm curious, if i rent/purchase hd content off it, at 720p, is the resolution good enough to watch on my hd projector?
I have a bunch of TV shows from iTunes that I've watched on both the projector and the plasma. No issues.

Quote:
An apple TV should work for that as well. Optical audio out or hdmi. You don't have to go through the apple tv interface, you can just use airplay to it.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 11:51 PM   #384
photon

Exp:

Yeah I was hoping there was something cheaper than an Apple TV, but I guess that's an option.
Old 12-27-2011, 12:53 PM   #385
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm thinking of picking up this LG 55" 1080p 120hz 3D LED HDTV from Future Shop (below). I liked what I saw in store of the passive 3D and the price seems pretty decent. I have done a bunch of research and read a few reviews and some were positive and a few negative regarding the smart TV tech but this one doesn't have it. I bought a 42" LG about six years ago and we still have it and it works great, so that's the only reason for the brand choice. I'd just like any opinions from anyone who has done their homework on TV's.

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/produ...8d55359c57en02

I should note that I use it for gaming, watching sports and that's about it.
Old 12-27-2011, 05:15 PM   #386
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've had good luck with LG TVs as well. I haven't checked out their 3D picture but if you like it, that should be your decision. If you decide later you want the Smart TV tech, just buy a 3D Bluray with that tech. I've heard the LG TVs with an IPS panel are good for gaming with little lag. Check around to see if you can find some reviews is the only advice I can give.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vulcan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2012, 10:13 AM   #387
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Has anyone tried one of the iOS universal remotes? (ie iRule, Roomie, etc). Or do most folks use the Harmony remote.

Just looking for some feedback before having to buy equipment for a trial run.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:15 AM   #388
User Name
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
am contemplating getting apple tv to be able to stream videos from the imac to my hdtv. i'm curious, if i rent/purchase hd content off it, at 720p, is the resolution good enough to watch on my hd projector?

i watch it at about 112" (diagonal) so curious if the imperfections make the viewability unbearable?

Anyone have some feedback on this?
Why don't you play a blu-ray through there, and have the output set to 720p to check it out? Or something like that anyways... Not that it means much but on a 50" it looks great to me (although clearly not blu-ray quality)
Old 01-04-2012, 10:31 AM   #389
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ Also, aren't most HD channels still only using 720p or 1080i?
A lot of my content is still on DVD as opposed to blu-ray and while it's nowhere as good, it's certainly not unwatchable.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:16 AM   #390
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:

So I got the LG and it was terrible. I can't believe all the positive user reviews. I had it for seven days and adjusted settings non-stop. The input lag was ridiculous but I found a fix. Unfortunately the fix was to adjust the input to a PC input and it ruined my PS3 for movies unless I tweaked the setting everytime. Not only that but there was some crazy motion blur when you turned off the "soap opera" settings (Tru-motion) which made me hate blu-rays on it as well.

So I took it back but now I need a TV. I don't want 3D and I will only use it for digital cable, blu-rays and gaming.

Any recommendations?
Old 01-05-2012, 08:46 AM   #391
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhettzky View Post
Any recommendations?
Are you stuck on LED/LCD?

If not: https://panasonic.ca/english/audiovi...p42_50gt25.asp

My pops upgraded his old TV to the VT model, but we auditioned the GT quite a bit too. I was really impressed with the GT, especially for the price. Soundsaround has it on for $1298 this thurs/fri, which is close to the LG you had posted.It's 3D, but that seems to be the way they're all going (at least the better ones). You certainly won't have any motion blur problems if you go this route.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2012, 11:31 AM   #392
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:

Very nice TV, lots of positives. I like the idea of going plasma and have been looking at a few of them. This LG is one in particular that seems to have everything I want and is within my price range.

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX32915

It's a 60" 600hz plasma. I'm a little worried about the low contrast ratio but in store it looked great. Plus reviews say it has very low input lag.

I may wait until Superbowl though and see if any big deals surface.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:12 AM   #393
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:

Stumbled upon this site and had to share. It's awesome.

http://www.televisioninfo.com/

EDIT: And by finding this site I have decided not to buy the LG above. The review for it was hilariously bad.
Old 01-07-2012, 11:12 AM   #394
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bit of a tale regarding my initial experiences with 3D....

Bought a new TV a few months ago (Panasonic P50GT30), to upgrade from my 42 inch Sharp that was a couple of years old. I wasn't buying it for its 3D capability, but they all pretty much come 3D ready.

Over Christmas I then upgraded my Blu-Ray player (Sony BDP570). Again, I wasn't looking to go 3D, I was mainly looking for a player that could handle mkv files, but they all pretty much come 3D ready as well.

So, I figured that I was already equipped for 3D content, why not shell out for a pair of glasses. The Panasonic ones are ~$100.00, but I post on CP, so you know I'm filthy rich and that ain't nothin to me...

So, I have all the equipment and am ready to be underwhelmed by the 3D experience in my own home. . . . or so I thought. . . .

I pop the 3D version of Tron in and it reports that either my display or Blu-Ray player aren't 3D capable, which is BS. Long story short, it looks like my receiver (Onkyo TX-SR606) has to be 3D capable too, as my Blu-Ray passes through my receiver before going to the TV. What a piss off; no way I'm investing in a new receiver for no reason other that 3D, given the small library of good 3D movies coming out.

Now, I do have the option of connecting my Blu-Ray directly to the TV, but I'll lose the 7.1 surround. There's also the option of streaming content from Shaw OnDemand, which has a small selection of 3D titles (and I did do this, in fact), but it's not a 1080p stream.

Anyway, just wanted to share in case anyone else is thinking of upgrading specifically for 3D capacity.
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 11:36 AM   #395
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike F View Post
Now, I do have the option of connecting my Blu-Ray directly to the TV, but I'll lose the 7.1 surround.
Maybe I'm under-thinking this, but could you not get a cheap HDMI splitter from monoprice and output HDMI to the TV (for the video) as well as the receiver (for the 7.1)?

- - - update : something such as this - - -
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Last edited by DownhillGoat; 01-07-2012 at 11:39 AM. Reason: added linky
The Following User Says Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2012, 11:39 AM   #396
photon

Exp:

In theory yeah, and probably worth a try, but I haven't heard many good things about the cheap HDMI splitters.
Old 01-07-2012, 11:45 AM   #397
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
In theory yeah, and probably worth a try, but I haven't heard many good things about the cheap HDMI splitters.
Possibly. I was using a 4x2 (powered) from monoprice for about a year until I picked up a new AVR with no issues.

They also have a pro series (for around $40) which has some excellent customer reviews. Just a thought.
Old 01-07-2012, 11:48 AM   #398
photon

Exp:

Oh nice, the experiences I was reading was lots of problems with handshaking and HDCP and stuff, but if there's ones that don't have those issues that'd be ideal (and probably cheaper than buying a blu-ray with discreet analog outputs for each channel).
Old 01-07-2012, 03:50 PM   #399
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkstyle View Post
Maybe I'm under-thinking this, but could you not get a cheap HDMI splitter from monoprice and output HDMI to the TV (for the video) as well as the receiver (for the 7.1)?

- - - update : something such as this - - -
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
The problem with this is that the audio and video will downgrade to the lowest common denominator, so if the TV only does 2.0 audio, that is what the receiver will play. Some TVs will pass 5.1 audio so I'm not saying it won't work, just that it may not. Probably the simplest option is to connect the blu-ray to the TV and use a toslink from the blu-ray to the receiver. You will lose HD audio but you should still get Dolby 5.1 or 7.1.

There are a few 3D blu-ray players with two HDMI outputs to solve this problem but they more expensive.

Last edited by Vulcan; 01-07-2012 at 03:56 PM.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vulcan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2012, 04:10 PM   #400
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
The problem with this is that the audio and video will downgrade to the lowest common denominator, so if the TV only does 2.0 audio, that is what the receiver will play.
Why would the TV audio come into the equation there?
Also, good call on the Toslink. For some reason I wasn thinking it couldn't do 7.1.

Last edited by DownhillGoat; 01-07-2012 at 04:20 PM.