Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2024, 03:17 PM   #21
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdubbs View Post
Your spin was overly negative verbiage from this impartial outside perspective. Why describe it as anything but what Conroy actually said instead of colouring it with your own interpretation?
I didn't think it was negative at all. There's nothing negative about it.
Old 03-08-2024, 03:17 PM   #22
BrennyBaller
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgflamesfan View Post
Why were we trying to sign these guys last week? What is the plan here? Is there even a plan?
Ever since his introductory press conference he has said he won't let players leave for nothing, and Kylington excluded, it looks like that is not going to happen. Sounds like sticking to a plan to me.
BrennyBaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 03:17 PM   #23
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgflamesfan View Post
Why were we trying to sign these guys last week? What is the plan here? Is there even a plan?
Because Hanifin and Tanev are really good players. Hanifin is in his prime. Tanev will age but he's a warrior and great for the room.

They are the devil you know vs the devil you don't. They are known quantities. Lindholm I am fine with walking, he looks lost out there.

A strong D core is what you want to build around. We are fine either way. I'm excited for new things.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2024, 03:19 PM   #24
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

nothing wrong with what he said at all. He's hardly going to say "I couldn't wait to trade their asses and I'm glad they're gone" ... I'm sure they did their due diligence regarding re-signing those players, and that's alright. Once they saw it made no financial sense, they moved them for futures. All how it should be and I don't know why anyone would be mad at this.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2024, 03:20 PM   #25
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

It seems like at least some of the UFAs wanted to sign here....just for a huge amount of money. Toffoli and Lindholm both clearly overplayed their hands. The organization made shrewd decisions in trading them.

I am eating my words a bit, as a year ago I thought Lindholm was pretty great, and I was advocating re-signing him. Looking back, that would have been a massive mistake.

Hanifin, on the other hand, was likely always destined to leave. He clearly wanted out of Canada.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 03:20 PM   #26
Redrum
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrennyBaller View Post
Fans "oMg tHiS OrG iS SO ComMiTTeD tO bEinG MiD ThEy ReALly trIed to SigN thEse GuyS And PlayerS FoRceD ThEiR HANDs"
This the only post like that on here.
Redrum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Redrum For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2024, 03:22 PM   #27
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrum View Post
This the only post like that on here.
And about 2000 over the last two weeks.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2024, 03:24 PM   #28
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any use of the word process? No? OK good!
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 03:28 PM   #29
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Really? When Conroy said "we are waiting to see what he wants to do and to make sure he's happy". Sounded exactly like what I described. There was more to it as well. Definitely didn't think I was reading between the lines there and saying he's not out of the woods.

Sounded exactly like they don't even know if he wants to keep playing hockey.
Maybe I don’t know what you mean by “not out of the woods” because that implies, to me, that he’s still struggling or is considering giving up hockey altogether, when it seems like Conroy just genuinely hasn’t really had the conversation yet and is just letting him play hockey.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 03:31 PM   #30
NewFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I think Conroy and the team did a good job even the new guys are not so good. But if the new guys become better than average player than I will say Conroy did great job!
NewFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NewFan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2024, 03:45 PM   #31
traptor
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I dont get why some of you get so butt hurt about people calling it out like they see it.

Conroy, Maloney and all the media have constitently said that they've tried to re-sign most of these guys. Some harder then others. They ended up moving all of them except Backlund but that doesn't mean if the flames had their choice they wouldn't still be here. Every source has literally said that they tried to keep most of them.

This worries some people that they were willing to commit to an older core that hasn't proven anything.

Not sure why that opinion irritates some of you so much.
traptor is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to traptor For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2024, 03:48 PM   #32
Zary's-Mustache
Scoring Winger

Exp:

So impressed with the way Conroy speaks and explains everything.
Zary's-Mustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 03:50 PM   #33
Zary's-Mustache
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrennyBaller View Post
Conroy says he won't let players walk for free, commits to getting younger early on, calls young players up and gives them prominent roles, trades all of the UFAs in question.

Fans "oMg tHiS OrG iS SO ComMiTTeD tO bEinG MiD ThEy ReALly trIed to SigN thEse GuyS And PlayerS FoRceD ThEiR HANDs"

It's called due diligence. You don't just commit to not signing guys and never speak contract. That gets you an even worse reputation around the league.
Yeah Conroy definitely being nice when he says "tried to sign them".

What he means is we offered what we thought was fair market value and they were out of whack with their demand.

In other words on his own terms.
Zary's-Mustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Zary's-Mustache For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2024, 03:59 PM   #34
wpgflamesfan
3 Wolves Short of 2 Millionth Post

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by traptor View Post
I dont get why some of you get so butt hurt about people calling it out like they see it.

Conroy, Maloney and all the media have constitently said that they've tried to re-sign most of these guys. Some harder then others. They ended up moving all of them except Backlund but that doesn't mean if the flames had their choice they wouldn't still be here. Every source has literally said that they tried to keep most of them.

This worries some people that they were willing to commit to an older core that hasn't proven anything.

Not sure why that opinion irritates some of you so much.
I don't have any issues with the results of the trades and actually think Conroy did a great job with all of them. But yeah, given Craig's comments and echoing the above, I can't help think that in this case the organization succeeded in spite of it self rather than because of it self (i.e. a broken clock is right twice a day).

Yeah I get that Hanifin, Tanev and Lindholm are all really good players, who are "known quantities" and could be "good for the room" but that fact of the matter is that barring some miracle run, it's painfully obvious that this team isn't ready to compete and won't be while these guys are still in their respective primes. Trying to resign these guys as late as last week reeks of an organization that being managed to not lose rather than one that's being managed to win which in my opinion is exactly how we stay in that mushy middle we seem to love as a fanbase.
wpgflamesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wpgflamesfan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2024, 03:59 PM   #35
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Only concerning part was talking about using the 1st rd picks to make trades.

This team is absolutely not in a position to trade them, unless its for a #1D or #1C under 23.

He did say he found out how hard it is to get them, so hopefully he doesn't give them away for garbage like Travis Hamonic.
Paulie Walnuts is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Paulie Walnuts For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2024, 04:05 PM   #36
BowRiverBruinsRule
Backup Goalie

Exp:

It's hard to believe he has been GM for less than a year. I like what he has done. Presser was awesome. I am on board. Go Flames.
BowRiverBruinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 04:05 PM   #37
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Old 03-08-2024, 04:12 PM   #38
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Great job, Craig.
Old 03-08-2024, 04:15 PM   #39
Ferarri
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

When he says he tried (and obviously didn’t achieve the result) was this a money and term issue or not wanting to play in Calgary period?
Ferarri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 04:19 PM   #40
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I found it interesting that when asked about the re-signing/trading, and if it was a response to Gaudreau walking, Conroy responded with: "It wasn't just Gaudreau. It was Brodie, it was Giordano."

Good to know that even with some future expansion probably coming, that Conroy will probably be a bit more proactive next time around, and that he probably won't look at "Lose Brodie but signed Tanev" as the compensation. Should have dealt Brodie, and signed Tanev (or made room and had them both even). That's always been my personal view, so it is great to hear that losing these guys wasn't insignificant, and that there could have been something done to either keep them or find value for them somewhere (though Giordano would have been difficult, as you either had to trade Kylington or risk losing him as well). Regardless of HOW it would have looked like, it is nice just to know that the GM realizes that this team simply can't lose assets for free in this market. I am sure that would change when this team is actually going for a cup run.

I have liked Conroy's body of work. He doesn't appear to be really all that interested in a complete tear-down to the studs. I would assume that next season, Calgary is likely to finish in the bottom 5 or so, but after that it all depends on how the goaltending is looking. That's a lot of decent defensive prospects to join the existing prospects, plus the existing defencemen. All that's missing is some high-calibre offensive forwards (especially a centre or two), and hopefully Calgary finds those in the upcoming drafts. I am really liking the overall body of work that Conroy has been doing.

I also love how he is going to go scouting himself. He has found players on his own before, so having another set of eyes out there can only help.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post: