Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2021, 12:16 PM   #321
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
To me, its my property and my lawn, and I paid for it, so its up to me to choose if its a public toilet for your cat or dog.

So if someone is upset that I tell them not to let their darling "furbaby" poop or piss on my stuff, too bad for them.

My yard is not a public space for your amusement. And yeah there nothing worse then seeing dead spots on a lawn, or getting surprises in the bushes.
Is it your property or the easement at the front of your property?
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2021, 12:19 PM   #322
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
He is calling on dog owners to help their pets find other places to urinate: "We want them to look at alternatives, like encouraging their animals to pee before they go for a walk."

Veterinarian Shibanai Akiko, director of Tokyo's Akasaka Animal Clinic, says dogs can still enjoy their walks even if they can't pee.

"Dogs don't stress out even if they don't excrete or pee during a walk, or they don't mark their territory," she explains. "Also, it won't cause them to get sick."

"I recommend that owners discipline their dogs to excrete at home to check their health condition through their excretory substances. This is also to let dogs realize they are members of our society," she says.

Shibanai says dogs can be trained to choose suitable places for excretion, but adds that people need to be patient.

"Dog owners have to rethink what it's like to live with dogs. It is also good to consult with dog instructors or veterinarians."
In short, if you own a dog, OWN it. Doing the bare minimum is the problem. If a cat can be trained to piss in a box, surly a dog(my puppy is so smart!) can be trained to do their business on the owners property.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2021, 12:24 PM   #323
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

One thing we did with our dogs growing up was train them to only go to the bathroom on a gravel pad around the back of our house. They all picked it up really quickly.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 12:28 PM   #324
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
One thing we did with our dogs growing up was train them to only go to the bathroom on a gravel pad around the back of our house. They all picked it up really quickly.
I always wondered if that was possible. I figured it was, but must be really hard because no one does it. If I ever had a dog(I wouldn't) that would be step one. Like, why would you want your dog randomly dropping bombs all over your yard? So gross.
Old 12-02-2021, 12:30 PM   #325
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I always wondered if that was possible. I figured it was, but must be really hard because no one does it. If I ever had a dog(I wouldn't) that would be step one. Like, why would you want your dog randomly dropping bombs all over your yard? So gross.
It was pretty easy, actually. We started when they were puppies and you just stick with it for the same period of time it takes to teach your dog anything. I would say that once they learned that was where they went, they would do it with around 95% consistently.

Very few bombs were dropped in our yards.
The Following User Says Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2021, 12:33 PM   #326
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's the same with cats. People say you can't train them. That's mostly true after a year, which is why I like to get a kitten I can mold into being awesome.

I guess people are just lazy.
Old 12-02-2021, 12:39 PM   #327
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's the same with cats. People say you can't train them. That's mostly true after a year, which is why I like to get a kitten I can mold into being awesome.

With dogs, people are definitely lazy even though it's pretty easy to train your dog not to be an #######.
Old 12-02-2021, 12:40 PM   #328
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, the thing with training cats is that you can give them the message such that they understand what you want them to do, but sometimes they just decide not to. Mine knows he's not allowed on the kitchen island, so he gets up there when he wants attention. He understands what "OFF!" means, but sometimes he just sort of tries to make it look like he's going to jump off, and then tries to stay on the edge, as if to say "well I got close to leaving, that's good enough, right?" He knows I want him to use the scratching posts so whenever he does something wrong he runs to those and starts scratching so as to say "look, I'm being good".

Short version, cats can be trained, but depending on their personality and what mood they're in they might not do the thing they've been trained to do even though they understand what they're supposed to be doing.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2021, 12:40 PM   #329
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
In Japan, people carry a little squirt bottle filled with soapy water that they used to spray down surfaces after their dog has pissed. It’s a far more civilized country than this giant ####hole.
I assume you mean they spray light posts or whatever? I don't think spraying plants with soap would do them any good vs just letting the dog pee sit there.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 12:41 PM   #330
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

True, for me it's usually a sign I've ignored her too long and she wants to play.
Old 12-02-2021, 12:44 PM   #331
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

Fuzz, how did you train your cat to be on a leash? Did you have to do it when she was a kitten? I'd love to let my cats out on leashes in the backyard but they adopt the posture of fainting goats whenever I try to put a leash on them and don't move.
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 12:45 PM   #332
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
It actually kinda amazes me that some people in this thread could be sitting in their front room and watch dog after dog piss and #### on their lawns, and have no feelings about it whatsoever or reaction. THAT is weird.

I've watched a more than a few dogs piss and crap on my lawn and I hate it. To me this is the more logical and normal reaction.
Its a lawn. All kinds of things are running around on it. There's squirrels, birds and bugs all over it all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
To me, its my property and my lawn, and I paid for it, so its up to me to choose if its a public toilet for your cat or dog.

So if someone is upset that I tell them not to let their darling "furbaby" poop or piss on my stuff, too bad for them.

My yard is not a public space for your amusement. And yeah there nothing worse then seeing dead spots on a lawn, or getting surprises in the bushes.
If you asked a person not to have their dog do the business on your yard, I'd assume most people would respect it and avoid having their dog do it on their yard.

Do you also get angry when a kids ball ends up on your yard or in your back yard?
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 12:54 PM   #333
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyah View Post
Fuzz, how did you train your cat to be on a leash? Did you have to do it when she was a kitten? I'd love to let my cats out on leashes in the backyard but they adopt the posture of fainting goats whenever I try to put a leash on them and don't move.
We got her in December and she was about 10 weeks old. Every day we put the harness on her for an hour. She wasn't super pleased for the first week or so, but then just got used to it. By the time spring came, she was well used to it, so no issues to take her out at that point.

Cats hate having stuff on them, so ya, adult cats kinda crumple even if you drape a sock over them. But you could give it a try when they are napping to get used to it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2021, 12:57 PM   #334
RogerWilco
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
I don't think it is possible to have complete control of where a dog decides to pee. I think it is best to attempt to avoid peeing in people's yards. But it's not always practical and I don't really have any respect for someone who is going to get pissed off and confront someone for their dog peeing on the edge of a large yard.
I have never let my dog either poop nor pee on another person's lawn. Just like its possible to train your dog not to take a dump in your living room it is 100% possible to prevent them from taking a dump where they are not supposed to.

Last edited by RogerWilco; 12-02-2021 at 01:02 PM.
RogerWilco is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RogerWilco For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2021, 01:01 PM   #335
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
Its a lawn. All kinds of things are running around on it. There's squirrels, birds and bugs all over it all the time.

If you asked a person not to have their dog do the business on your yard, I'd assume most people would respect it and avoid having their dog do it on their yard.

Do you also get angry when a kids ball ends up on your yard or in your back yard?

I have a vast collection of balls.

Its the only way they learn. Also frisbees.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2021, 01:31 PM   #336
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post

If this is your hill to die on then drop the ridiculous false equivalencies. You don’t feel any bit of responsibility for the animal you are legally required to control? It’s an interesting attitude that I’ll never understand.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2021, 01:34 PM   #337
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lol. Sliver is all over the top with dog piss particles on his lawn, yet he prob wades into the fecal pond of Lake Bonavista every summer weekend.
Old 12-02-2021, 01:40 PM   #338
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
Lol. Sliver is all over the top with dog piss particles on his lawn, yet he prob wades into the fecal pond of Lake Bonavista every summer weekend.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 02:16 PM   #339
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

If I ever get another dog or a cat, may I bring it to you for training?
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 02:21 PM   #340
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
If I ever get another dog or a cat, may I bring it to you for training?
Haha, kitties are so much fun.

Tags
"what am i?"