Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 02-21-2019, 07:24 PM   #11121
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
Why would we do that though?
I was thinking more of a draft day move.
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2019, 07:26 PM   #11122
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
If Stone is being offered over 10 now why is he taking $8.5? As was discussed before, the 2 extra years probably don't move the needle.
Winning situation vs clown car on fire crashing into Rideau canal
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2019, 07:27 PM   #11123
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
That's this year, not the contract he's gonna sign. But there are other teams as well.
Old 02-21-2019, 07:29 PM   #11124
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post
If 5x$10.5M offer really is on the table as it has been reported, Stone would be silly not to take it. I am 99% certain he's re-signing in Ottawa.
If they were as certain as you they wouldn't have sat him out tonight.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2019, 07:29 PM   #11125
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
financial stability for generations of my family > awards in a children's game
Old 02-21-2019, 07:29 PM   #11126
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
That's this year, not the contract he's gonna sign. But there are other teams as well.
Make 10 million to play in Florida or Columbus or Carolina or make 8.5 to play in Calgary with his brother
Old 02-21-2019, 07:33 PM   #11127
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Make 10 million to play in Florida or Columbus or Carolina or make 8.5 to play in Calgary with his brother
The spread is a lot more than 1.5 million a year in Florida, they do not have state income tax.
Old 02-21-2019, 07:35 PM   #11128
Fan in Exile
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I was thinking more of a draft day move.
Worth considering on draft day, not at trade deadline. For either team really.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fan in Exile For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2019, 07:35 PM   #11129
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love View Post
financial stability for generations of my family > awards in a children's game
LOL....if 8.5 million a year isn't financial stability then you have bigger problems that need to be addressed. And wasn't the rumoured offer from the sens only 5 years? If he was traded to the Flames today, he could sign an 8 year deal which would be more money overall. Happiness has to play a big part of things too so if he's happy there I would assume he'd sign there for the life and not so much the team...or he could be with family. I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin
Old 02-21-2019, 07:40 PM   #11130
DomeFoam
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
I doubt Stone will be anything more than a depth 7th D due to the emergence of the young guys and possibly losing it a bit as a result of another injury. Lets not act like watching his brother eat popcorn or potentially moved out once Valimaki is ready is a significant draw for Mark.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DomeFoam For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2019, 07:44 PM   #11131
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not sure if the point has been made but one wonders, when the NHL fully embraces legalized gambling, if the Sens could do what they did tonight. Hathaway would be the 3rd leading scorer on that roster tonight.
The Following User Says Thank You to browna For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2019, 07:44 PM   #11132
dieHARDflameZ
Franchise Player

Exp:

Smh

Last edited by dieHARDflameZ; 02-21-2019 at 07:45 PM. Reason: Wrong thread.
Old 02-21-2019, 07:45 PM   #11133
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarongavey View Post
The spread is a lot more than 1.5 million a year in Florida, they do not have state income tax.
Florida has to want to sign him.

There is a musical chairs element to free agency that can push down the value of the contract you sign.

What if his number 1 destination doesn't have room or goes in another direction?

Lots at stake. Most guys I think choose the easiest route which is why free agency is relatively rare.

Calgary and Winnipeg have the best shots at signing stone in terms of where he wants to be, and Calgary is in a better situation than Winnipeg to be able to bring in that salary long term.

Stone would be the missing piece for the window in my opinion.
Old 02-21-2019, 07:50 PM   #11134
Duffalufagus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

We wont be in on Stone unless it goes to Monday and the ask comes way down.
Old 02-21-2019, 07:53 PM   #11135
Demetric
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I think the only prospects that will be traded will be fw from Stockton and not named Dube in any deadline deal.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 02-21-2019, 08:53 PM   #11136
iamca
First Line Centre

Exp:

Not sure this has been posted in either trade thread yet:

https://www.cbssports.com/nhl/news/n...-cup-playoffs/

Howard and Zuccarello to Calgary
Old 02-21-2019, 08:53 PM   #11137
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
If they were as certain as you they wouldn't have sat him out tonight.
Then the reported offer was fake.
Old 02-21-2019, 09:37 PM   #11138
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think you can compare Kane's value at the deadline to Stone's value. Every year is different, but aside from that, they are a bad comparison to one another.

There were always questions regarding Kane's character, and how it MAY disrupt a locker room. There was also the fact that Kane's offence dried-up after he was separated from Eichel (although it seemed Eichel didn't miss a beat). Kane hadn't hit 50 points or more in 6 seasons as well, and had only played 70 or more games once in those 6 seasons. There was a certain amount of risk when it came to Kane.

Stone is not that player. Stone is a line driver. It is not surprising to see that Duchene is tracking to have his best season... EVER. Well, Mark Stone is as well, and I am sure that the increase in goal scoring around the league has a lot to do with it as well. However, Stone has always been a driver, and players that play with him always seem to produce more.

Stone is also a notable high character guy and leader. You want to add someone like that to your room for a cup run, even as a 4th liner or 7th defencemen. Stone hasn't won a cup obviously, but he is still a high-character guy.

Let's also not forget about Stone's defensive acumen. You would be right to assume that suddenly the 2nd line in Calgary would be similar to the top line in Boston. That's probably not an exaggeration. In fact, you can count on that line attaining similar numbers while having a tougher match-ups and starting in their own zone more often. They would be an elite 2-way line.

The only thing I don't like about Stone is his lack of foot-speed. He isn't exactly slow - he is probably an 'average' skater. He would be no worse than Monahan, which is a bit of a step-up to Tkachuk. However, Tkachuk seems to be doing great as a two-way player, no? Why? Because he is smart. His IQ is off the charts, and his anticipation and ability to read plays helps him get to where he needs to be with time to spare. That's Stone - only he has a 6'4" reach as well.

Flames would be insanely difficult to match-up against. I am hoping that the Sens retain salary on Stone and the Flames keep Frolik for the playoffs. Why? It would make that 4th line so much better at smothering the opposition. Ryan has been a fairly good defensive player now for the last... 30? 40 odd games? I couldn't stand him at the start of the season, but he has been consistently strong defensively. Utilizing that 4th line as another shut-down line would be fantastically difficult for other teams to breathe out there. Frolik isn't an awesome player that must be retained at all costs, nor is he the key to the cup of course. What he is, however, is a blanket. He completely smothers the opposition with his speed and work ethic. I love watching him play, even if offensively he seems more like a pop-gun at times. I like Mangiapane, and really like his work ethic out there. I think he has been battling out there. I think he can develop his offensive game a bit longer in the AHL and make him a better player overall with some patience. Frolik is obviously the better player now, and pushing Mangiapane out would make this team better - though today's Mangiapane is a whole tier better than first 1/4 season Mangiapane.

As for Duchene, I love his speed, but there are question marks around him IMO. I think Stone is elite, and Duchene is just 'solid'. I would be hesitant about Duchene, especially if he was priced similarly to Stone. However, Duchene's speed and offensive ability would FINALLY be a boon to Bennett, and I bet that people would be surprised with Bennett. I find that Bennett needs to play with someone else with skill AND that can play with pace to their game. I can imagine even simple things like 'give-and-go's' would be difficult to defend with those two.

Duchene makes this group stronger offensively. Stone makes this group stronger at both ends of the ice. Keeping Frolik somehow through this deadline, and then off-loading him in the off-season would be, incredibly stifling to the opposition.

However, even without acquiring one of the 'big guns' out there, I am happy with any upgrade that the Flames get. I would especially like it if the Flames don't lose an existing roster player, and I would especially love it if the Flames don't end up losing Valimaki, Parsons, Dube and Pettersen. This draft is an excellent draft - supposedly with talent found near the bottom of the first round that you would normally find in the middle of the round, but I think the Flames would be very hard-pressed to find better talent at that spot than those 4 names.

1st
2nd
Any combination of up to 3 prospects not named above
for
Hayes
Zuccarello

I think Hayes is worth a 1st - maybe a bit more
Zucarrello is rumoured to be worth a 2nd? A bit more?

Maybe that's fair. Maybe the Flames need to include a better prospect. Shouldn't be much more. That would give the Flames some crazy depth.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Lindholm
Tkachuk - Backlund - Frolik
Bennett - Hayes - Zuccarello
Jankowski - Ryan - Neal

That's a real strong line-up, and the Flames should be able to roll 4 lines - at least rolling three lines without ever having to worry about being caught on an icing with the 4th line. All lines should be able to contribute to scoring. PP lines should be better too, with a stronger PP having existing players that normally play with one another:

Gaudreau - Monahan - Lindholm - Tkachuk
Giordano

Bennett - Hayes - Zuccarello - Backlund
Andersson

I haven't checked the salaries, but have retention as part of the trade, even if it costs a bit more in assets - I can't imagine it would cost any more than a 3rd or 4th round pick for this late in the season.

I am happy no matter what happens this deadline, even if the Flames stand pat, though, so I am easy to please. Stone is a much better player than Kane, with a lot less risk and question marks than Kane was at the time of his trade. They are not comparable.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2019, 09:45 PM   #11139
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ I'm in on Hayes, who we retain and resign with his buddy Gaudreau, and Zuccarello, who is a rental. Gives some size in Hayes, who plays pk too. Zuccarello can seemingly play up and down the lines and on PP2. Talented depth. At the potential expense of a Janko or Frolik game to game.

1st (if either sign with the Flames or the Flames win the Cup) and a player like Janko? Again, you have to give to get and the Rags aren't going to be happy just with magic bean draft picks, they will want a roster player.

There are people here hesitant to give up Foo and are eager to split up Brodie and Gio, because Brodie had an average last few games, so there isn't going to be a consensus.

Last edited by browna; 02-21-2019 at 09:49 PM.
Old 02-21-2019, 09:47 PM   #11140
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
LOL....if 8.5 million a year isn't financial stability then you have bigger problems that need to be addressed. And wasn't the rumoured offer from the sens only 5 years? If he was traded to the Flames today, he could sign an 8 year deal which would be more money overall. Happiness has to play a big part of things too so if he's happy there I would assume he'd sign there for the life and not so much the team...or he could be with family. I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin
Taking a 5 year deal probably makes him more money over the 8 years, since he can sign a really good deal at the end of the first contract - probably better than the 8 year deal.

I think, similar to "friends with X", playing with family is often talked about but rarely makes a difference to signings. Heck, if family is that important he signs in Winnipeg, if he still has family there. Also I don't see Mike Stone being here long term anyway.
Closed Thread