Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 02-20-2019, 09:53 AM   #10721
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Mangiapane is doing really well lately and dare I say, starting to excel in a 4th line role. He's an NHL'er for good at this point if you ask me. It's going to be exciting to see how high up he can get.
Old 02-20-2019, 09:54 AM   #10722
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
imo the flames aren't really in a position to be moving any roster players off the roster.

Mangiapane has been a great fit on the 4th line because he actually belongs there vs playing over his head. It's really important having those guys in the lineup and I don't think I'd be interested in moving him even if a forward addition relegated Mangiapane to the 13th forward role.
I think, and i could be way wrong, that BT wants some more size in that spot for the playoffs...and i dont see Hathaway getting sat as he has been really good at his role.
Old 02-20-2019, 09:56 AM   #10723
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
I think, and i could be way wrong, that BT wants some more size in that spot for the playoffs...and i dont see Hathaway getting sat as he has been really good at his role.
i agree, I just don't think mangiapane should be moved in order to get that piece.

bigger and tougher in addition to I think is the order of the day.
Old 02-20-2019, 10:13 AM   #10724
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Weird. Jaskin not on waivers but DSP is.

Quote:
Chris Kuc@ChrisKuc

Dmitrij Jaskin is NOT on waivers.

Devante Smith-Pelly IS on waivers.

#ALLCAPS
Old 02-20-2019, 10:53 AM   #10725
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
So looks like the organization made a last minute change on the waivers. Sounds like something might be up with the Caps.

Elliotte Friedman @FriedgeHNIC
Todd Reirden said it was “an organizational decision” to make the waiver switch. Indicated there are things going on behind the scenes. “There is lots going on right now.”
Old 02-20-2019, 11:00 AM   #10726
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default 2018/2019 Trade Speculation and Rumors

Wonder who the Capitals could be targeting? They’ve been scouted lots by other teams lately I believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-20-2019, 11:03 AM   #10727
The Boy Wonder
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
i agree, I just don't think mangiapane should be moved in order to get that piece.

bigger and tougher in addition to I think is the order of the day.
I think you move Mangiapanne if the right offer comes in.

He is soft along the boards, small and skilled, all of which are fine in the regular season, but won't cut it in the playoffs when the physicality ramps up and every puck battle is more intensely contested in the corners and guys are hitting to make opponents uncomfortable physically.

All I mean is there is no critical need to retain mangiapanne
Old 02-20-2019, 11:28 AM   #10728
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boy Wonder View Post

He is soft along the boards, small and skilled, all of which are fine in the regular season, but won't cut it in the playoffs when the physicality ramps up and every puck battle is more intensely contested in the corners and guys are hitting to make opponents uncomfortable physically.

the critical need to keep mangiapane is to keep Lazar and Foo out of the lineup when injuries become a factor.

Mangiapane has been a bit of a revelation this year in that he seems quite capable of playing 9-10 minutes a night with precious little in the way of mistakes. His puck skills are good enough not to detract from his linemates and he seems to bring a good, hardworking attitude.

If janko had a bit more of mangiapane's attitude and a little less 'aww shucks happy to be here's he'd be a better player.

I've also been pleasantly surprised by his ability to throw big time neutral zone hits.

Good contemporary fourth liner.
The Following User Says Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2019, 11:29 AM   #10729
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

To have Valimaki, Stone and Prout at 7,8,9 is great D depth for the playoffs. Likewise, I think there are plenty of options for the bottom 3/6 forward positions internally. Whether fans like it or not, management likes our goaltending. That leaves 2nd line forward as the only area to upgrade. I’m hoping for a Ranger, Chris Kreider, but lots of good options to add depth scoring
Old 02-20-2019, 11:30 AM   #10730
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

If a team wants Eat Bread, and it helps you get the piece you need, he seems a tradeable player because the likes of Dube, Lazar and others could fill his current role capably right away if necessary. I like Eat Bread, and don't want to trade him, but could see it happening.
Old 02-20-2019, 11:57 AM   #10731
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boy Wonder View Post

If Mangiapane were really that "soft" and "not made for the playoffs" he wouldn't be +1.8% CFRel / 52.8% CF while playing with a undersized center and a grossly underskilled RW.

He's had some ups and downs as a rookie but I suggest you watch him play more carefully, he does a lot of positive things on the ice that are very much "playoff" hockey.

This is a league where two years ago a team rolling such "playoff style wingers" as Phil Kessell, Conor Sheary, Carl Hagelin, Bryan Rust, and Jake Guentzal on the wings won the cup.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2019, 12:41 PM   #10732
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I really hope Eatbread pans out into something.

If its true that we are looking to trade draft picks, the cupboard is about to become dislodged and removed from the wall because its so damn bare and pointless.

While the lack of bluechippers will be a problem until you draft high or get lucky, its still important to have young guys pushing for spots in the lineup.

Dube and Mangiapane pushing for middle 6 roles in the coming years I think is important for this team.
Old 02-20-2019, 12:43 PM   #10733
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada 02 View Post
To have Valimaki, Stone and Prout at 7,8,9 is great D depth for the playoffs. Likewise, I think there are plenty of options for the bottom 3/6 forward positions internally. Whether fans like it or not, management likes our goaltending. That leaves 2nd line forward as the only area to upgrade. I’m hoping for a Ranger, Chris Kreider, but lots of good options to add depth scoring
I'd be pretty surprised if management likes the goaltending, but there is a good chance that they've decided they have to accept it for this year.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikephoen For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2019, 12:49 PM   #10734
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I really think David Rittich is good and can be our starter. Even in the losses he has looked solid a lot more often than not.
Old 02-20-2019, 12:56 PM   #10735
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Bob McKenzie @TSNBobMcKenzie
With the waiver maneuver WSH did today — first saying Jaskin would be on waivers and then switching up by putting Smith-Pelly on — it’s pretty clear they have something in the works, but until Smith-Pelly clears or gets claimed at noon tomorrow, said trade can’t be completed...
Old 02-20-2019, 12:59 PM   #10736
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Neal for Ovechkin. Book it.
Old 02-20-2019, 01:01 PM   #10737
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
With the waiver maneuver WSH did today — first saying Jaskin would be on waivers and then switching up by putting Smith-Pelly on — it’s pretty clear they have something in the works, but until Smith-Pelly clears or gets claimed at noon tomorrow, said trade can’t be completed...
There is a lot of speculation the deal may be with LAK, maybe for a veteran depth F. Lots of possibilities: Carl Hagelin is UFA at end of season but carries $3.5M cap hit. Trevor Lewis and Kyle Clifford each have a year left after this season, Lewis at $2M and Clifford at $1.6M.

But it’s all highly speculative at this point, nothing firm at all. No sense of what would go the other way and what a potential deal may/may not include. Bottom line is that it seems WSH has interest in upgrading its depth, moving DSP out and an upgrade of some description in.

Last edited by sureLoss; 02-20-2019 at 01:04 PM.
Old 02-20-2019, 01:02 PM   #10738
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Right now the rumored teams to be in play for bigger acquisitions are Boston, Nashville, Winnipeg. Calgary, Tampa, and San Jose may also be willing to spend if they can find enough change in their pockets. Than factor in teams like Washington, and Pittsburgh who have core groups to win now where the first round pick likely can go for the right add, and I think it's not that bad of a market for the sellers.
Old 02-20-2019, 01:04 PM   #10739
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post

Jaskin's not much of a goal scorer, but:

He's way more likely than Smith-Pelly to get picked off waivers, on account of he's an NHLer.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
Old 02-20-2019, 01:21 PM   #10740
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I could the flames being in on Clifford
Closed Thread