Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 02-05-2019, 12:25 PM   #8921
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

If Bennett ever scores 72 points in a season, I'll eat a sock.

Old 02-05-2019, 12:25 PM   #8922
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
If you were the Canucks and someone offered you a 1st (non-lotterty protected) and 3rd for Jake Virtanen, would you not take that and run screaming for the hills?

Bennett is a little better than Virtanen, but not by much. They've got many of the same deficiencies, and they do many of the same things well. They're both reasonably skilled, good skating, physical forwards with good shots. Neither is a good passer. In the last 18 months, Bennett has 5 more points.

If the Oilers want to give that guy Spooner money, that's their call. Bennett is a $3M player at best right now, and if you added him to Edmonton, do they have even two more wins?
With the Oilers specifically with Bennett there would be some concern imo. He is childhood friends and teammates with McDavid and could find a home as the LW on that line. He has the speed and skill to play with Connor and do well in that role. He also has a mean streak which would fit nicely with anyone needing to protect McDavid.

For Virtanen it depends who is offering. Is it the Preds who consistently finish top of the league or is it a team always on the bubble like Dallas.

If a top team offered the Flames their late 1st and 3rd for Bennett I would tell them to get out of here. Trading a 22 year old with upside for a pick that may or may not pan out in 2-3 years makes no sense.
Old 02-05-2019, 12:26 PM   #8923
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

If someone offersheets Bennett you take the draft picks and run. Anyone dumb enough to offersheet a third liner and assume all that risk, while paying good draft picks, will soon find themselves seated next to Chiarelli in the NHL unemployment line. You let that happen and move on to other players.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2019, 12:26 PM   #8924
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
I would have 0 issues trading Dillon Dube if the return means Mark Stone.

To Ottawa:
1st 2019 (protected for Ottawa, if the Flames draft 20+ this year, they can defer to next season)
Dillon Dube
Michael Frolik
Austin Czarnik

To Calgary:
Mark Stone

I have enough faith in Treliving to make the cap situation work at the end. Frankly, in the off-season, you may even be able to dump Neal+Mangiapane/Pick somewhere.
You are assuming a re-signing, right? I think that's a huge assumption. I think it's a huge assumption that he even wants to play in Canada, for taxes, lifestyle, spotlight reasons, etc. I also have no idea if the brother thing has any bearing on it.

If Treliving can get permission to talk to him ahead of time I'm much happier.
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2019, 12:28 PM   #8925
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
With the Oilers specifically with Bennett there would be some concern imo. He is childhood friends and teammates with McDavid and could find a home as the LW on that line. He has the speed and skill to play with Connor and do well in that role. He also has a mean streak which would fit nicely with anyone needing to protect McDavid.

For Virtanen it depends who is offering. Is it the Preds who consistently finish top of the league or is it a team always on the bubble like Dallas.

If a top team offered the Flames their late 1st and 3rd for Bennett I would tell them to get out of here. Trading a 22 year old with upside for a pick that may or may not pan out in 2-3 years makes no sense.
Do the Oilers have money or compensation to offer sheet Bennett?
Old 02-05-2019, 12:30 PM   #8926
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
I am sure Hurricane fans would have said the same thing if they were told Lindholm could score 90 this year after 5 years of 40-45pts. Doubling his career high or recent years has Bennett in the 52-72 point range. 72 would be a stretch for sure but 60 could easily still happen.

Lindholm is living proof that not all high picks will peak offensively in their first 3-3 years even if their numbers have consistently been flat for several years.

We used to hear a lot of media moaning and groaning about Bennett’s development or lack thereof. This season many of those pundits have prissied the type of player he is turning into
Old 02-05-2019, 12:32 PM   #8927
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
If someone offersheets Bennett you take the draft picks and run. Anyone dumb enough to offersheet a third liner and assume all that risk, while paying good draft picks, will soon find themselves seated next to Chiarelli in the NHL unemployment line. You let that happen and move on to other players.
This X 1000.

Bennett is a role player and if you can parlay that into a 1st and a 3rd instead of paying 4M+ a year to him....well take it and run.
Old 02-05-2019, 12:32 PM   #8928
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Do the Oilers have money or compensation to offer sheet Bennett?
Doubtful no question but an earlier poster made that prediction which is why I used it as an example. I don’t see the Oilers having the money to offer sheet anyone they will be in tough to add anyone of significance over the summer
Old 02-05-2019, 12:34 PM   #8929
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

This is the Oilers. Maybe it's just a pick between 15-25, but odds are you're picking top 15 if not top 10. For Sam Bennett, who's a nice player, but who isn't worth a top 15 pick. He wouldn't go top 10 in a redraft of his own year.

I don't doubt that Bennett might have a couple good seasons with McDavid. I'd be happy for him. It wouldn't haunt us. They aren't a Sam Bennett away.
Old 02-05-2019, 12:37 PM   #8930
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
This X 1000.

Bennett is a role player and if you can parlay that into a 1st and a 3rd instead of paying 4M+ a year to him....well take it and run.
I wouldn’t be thrilled getting Nashville/Washington/Pittisburgh etc late picks in this scenario but I love what Bennett brings to the team.

If a team like Vancouver, Montreal, Columbus, Dallas made the move then I would be more excited because the pick has some potential to be more than a late pick.
Old 02-05-2019, 12:40 PM   #8931
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I am sure Hurricane fans would have said the same thing if they were told Lindholm could score 90 this year after 5 years of 40-45pts. Doubling his career high or recent years has Bennett in the 52-72 point range. 72 would be a stretch for sure but 60 could easily still happen.

Lindholm is living proof that not all high picks will peak offensively in their first 3-3 years even if their numbers have consistently been flat for several years.

We used to hear a lot of media moaning and groaning about Bennett’s development or lack thereof. This season many of those pundits have prissied the type of player he is turning into
Five years of 40+ on the most irrelevant franchise outside of Arizona is much different than one exciting 3 weeks in the playoffs, a full year riding shotgun with Backlund and Frolik, followed by three years in the 20s while losing your centre spot.

Bennett doesn't have great vision and he's an average passer at best. He's not super explosive as a skater, but his skating is fine. He hits like a truck, he can throw hands, and he has Hall of Fame duster skills. He needs someone like Johnny or McDavid to make him an offensive threat because he isn't one on his own.
Old 02-05-2019, 12:41 PM   #8932
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd be thrilled getting anyone's first round pick for Sam Bennett. I get that he works hard, but you can get hard workers in the later rounds of the draft. Take the picks, run, and laugh when the other GM gets canned.
Old 02-05-2019, 12:45 PM   #8933
theTrumanShow
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Puulujarvi plus for Bennett. After the playoffs.
Old 02-05-2019, 12:48 PM   #8934
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by theTrumanShow View Post
I'd rather have Bennett. I'm so pissed I bothered to learn how to spell Puljujarvi's name right when he's bustier than Jennifer Lawrence.
Old 02-05-2019, 12:49 PM   #8935
Wolfman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by theTrumanShow View Post
I'm not giving Bennett to the Greasers
Old 02-05-2019, 12:49 PM   #8936
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post

Bennett is a little better than Virtanen, but not by much. They've got many of the same deficiencies, and they do many of the same things well. They're both reasonably skilled, good skating, physical forwards with good shots. Neither is a good passer.
Wha? Did I just read this right?

Oh boy. Bennett may not rack up assists like Tkachuk or Gaudreau but he is an above average playmaker and passer, and by every metric a line driver. Virtanen is a one dimensional shoot first player whose only assists are rebounds from his shooting.

Bennett is in the 86th percentile in shot assists, Virtanen in the 14th percentile. Lumping them together as passers is just wrong.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
Old 02-05-2019, 12:49 PM   #8937
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladtheImpaler View Post
Well, just from Frolik's perspective, it might be his best chance to get 17-19 minutes of icetime and perhaps get 25 goals next year to leverage himself another decent payday... Judging by his agent (who presumably takes his cue from his client), icetime/$ is more important than winning.
Yeah perhaps, but that would be something he would agree to in the summer IMO, not at this point.

He could shine in the playoffs here and raise his stock as well.
Old 02-05-2019, 12:50 PM   #8938
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post

Oh boy. Bennett may not rack up assists like Tkachuk or Gaudreau but he is an above average playmaker and passer. Virtanen is a one dimensional shoot first player whose only assists are rebounds from his shooting.

Bennett is in the 86th percentile in shot assists, Virtanen in the 14th percentile. Lumping then together as passers is just wrong.
If Bennett could pass the puck, he'd be a $6M player. It's not a strength.

I've never heard of shot assists, but I assume that means most of Sam's apples come off rebounds created by his shot. Which seems like it proves my point.
The Following User Says Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2019, 12:52 PM   #8939
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post

Oh boy. Bennett may not rack up assists like Tkachuk or Gaudreau but he is an above average playmaker and passer, and by every metric a line driver. Virtanen is a one dimensional shoot first player whose only assists are rebounds from his shooting.

Bennett is in the 86th percentile in shot assists, Virtanen in the 14th percentile. Lumping them together as passers is just wrong.
What in the hell is a shot assist?

A pass?
Old 02-05-2019, 12:53 PM   #8940
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
A stinky, dirty, used one.
Closed Thread