Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2016, 02:08 PM   #21
WesternCanadaKing
Giver of Calculators

Exp:

All the members of the 2004 team have a special place in my heart. Good luck okotoker!
WesternCanadaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to WesternCanadaKing For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2016, 02:40 PM   #22
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2SO4(aq) View Post
Dont care for the guy whatsoever. Jumped Stempniak and then pretended he was standing up for his team .... (by jumping a defenseless winger not known for toughness?). He is a wannabe tough guy. If anything, im sad hes retiring because he was awesome to play against. One of the most beatable defensemen 1-on-1.

Basically, he was the rex ryan of hockey, minus the foot fetish and such.
Some Flames fans overreact to that fight, IMO. Ference definitely instigated, but he didn't throw a punch until Stempniak dropped his gloves. Far from jumping him.

Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 03:00 PM   #23
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike F View Post
Some Flames fans overreact to that fight, IMO. Ference definitely instigated, but he didn't throw a punch until Stempniak dropped his gloves. Far from jumping him.

That's not what I saw, lol
MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 03:04 PM   #24
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^^^ LOL that is pure dirt. As much as a "jump" as youll ever see. Stempniak is literally trying to skate away without paying attention to Ference, even when he's right in his face.

He only drops the gloves once Ference does and the only options at that point were to either fight back or turtle.

I don't hold much of a grudge over it for Ference, but it's a pure trash play.
Old 09-17-2016, 03:14 PM   #25
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
^^^^ LOL that is pure dirt. As much as a "jump" as youll ever see.
This is a jumping: Nurse throwing punches before Polak is engaged or in any position to defend himself, which is why he got a 3 game suspension.

Ference certainly instigated, but Stempniak dropped his gloves, then they fought.
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 03:24 PM   #26
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

They can both be degrees of jumping.

And Ference dropped his gloves first, Stempniak obviously had no interest in fighting from the beginning. As I said, at a certain point he either had to, or turtle. Ference gave him no option, and to me, thats a jumping.
Old 09-17-2016, 04:00 PM   #27
CsInMyBlood
Franchise Player

Location: F*** me. We're so f***ing good, you check the f***ing standings? Lets f***ing go! F***ing practice!
Exp:

I'm a fan. The guy put in some solid work as a Calgary Flame on and off the ice. A Calgarypuck member.

After I saw this thread I went back into my PM's and looked at a message I sent him after the 04 run.

Quote:
I held back till today, but I must tell you how impressed my friends and I have been with you since you came to the Flames.

Let me preface this letter by saying I am 33 years old, and a diehard Flames fan since I was 11 years old. I have had seasons tickets or access to them through work or friends for probably 10+ years. 6 years ago I had twin boys, I got a part time job as an usher, because we couldn't afford seasons tix with the additions to our lives, and I needed that hockey fix...

I have watched a lot of NHL hockey, and I have lived and died as a Flames fan, from the highs of the Stanley Cup to the lows of not making the playoffs for 7 years, and not seeing the Flames win a round since Lanny held up said Cup.

You impressed me from training camp, when the battle for the 6/7/8 spots were on in full effect. I believe it was you, Wallin, and the Doors. I remember posting on the board after going to a couple of training camp scrimmages, saying you looked like the best D out there and that you were a lock.

Of course I had resistance to my post with the majority saying you weren't 6'4 220, and big is always better in the long run for a 5-6 D man. You showed up big in exhibition games, and everybody agreed you had made the team.

One night that season, you guys were playing vs. NYR. Jaromir Jagr was coming in at the blue line, and he baited you into the biscuit, making one of his crazy moves and burning you. I believe we won that game 6-5, and I remember Sutter calling you out. That was also the beginning of the "Ference can't play defense, he is an offensive defenceman" thought on this board, held by people who watch highlight packages, and not entire games. Yeah right.

This is turning into a novel, but I just want you to know that in the Playoffs, your courage was remarkable. Full out no fear hockey, it was a treat to watch. From your battles with Jovoslut, to the pounding of Stillman, to that beautiful hit on St. Louis in the 7th game of the Stanley Cup, not to mention the solid play that you brought to the Flames every night, makes me smile just thinking about it.

Your attitude and outspoken nature during the lockout was refreshing, and made us fans like you even more.

I wish you luck in your contract negotiations. I really hope to see you in the Flaming C for many years to come. You guys made me proud to be a Flames fan again, although it does still hurt that you came so close and just couldn't cap it off, I really do believe that you will get another shot and the results will be different.

You all made me believe. I am proud to have you wearing the C and you will always be one of my favorites. Thank-you for playing with so much heart and passion every night, lets drop the freaking puck!

His response:

Quote:
Originally Posted by okotoker
That is a very nice note and I thank you very much for your kind words. I feel very proud to play for a club with such strong and loyal support! I remember that I am not just playing for myself but for the history of the jersey and the pride of the supporters and it feels great to get feedback like this. Thanks again, it means a lot, Andrew
He ended up signing a three year contract with the Flames after this. Without an agent involved. Just sat down with Darryl Sutter and hammered out a deal that they were both happy with. Of course he didn't get himself a NTC and was traded in 06 to the Bruins. The team was never the same after that.

Rhett Warrener still talks about the downfall of the Calgary Flames after Ference got dealt. How it was like the heart of their Flames family got ripped out.

Thanks for being part of the team that stopped the 2011 Vancouver Canucks from winning the Stanley Cup. Vancouver had won games one and two, then had a great first period in game three. Ference scored 11 seconds into the second period, which then opened up the flood gates where we saw Boston win the game 8-1. Obviously the turning point of the series, Boston came back and won in seven games. Something I will never forget. It really was a riot.

Right after winning the Cup in Boston, while the Stanley Cup is being skated around Ference has an on ice interview. He states how he wishes he could feel winning the Stanley Cup with his Flames teammates. I mean who does that? I could see if it happened a couple of years later but this happened in 2011. A full seven years since 2004 and five years since he had worn the Flames jersey. Showed how much he loved being a Flame.

One of those guys that have an extra gear in the playoffs, small but tough as nails, relentless and full of heart. Too bad about the stinkin' Oilers part, very unfortunate, I will just pretend it never happened.

Congrats to Andrew on a great career.

Backlund for Selke 2017 2018
Oilers suck.
CsInMyBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 06:15 PM   #28
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Watching that video where he beats up Stempniak reminded me why I don't much like Ference. Too bad, I want to like him but that was bush.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 07:47 PM   #29
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

I still think it's awesome how a member of CP got to be the captain of the Oilers. I like to tell myself that he was secretly sabotaging the team from within. Something any CP member would gladly do.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 09:58 PM   #30
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

As much as I hated the Stempniak thing, I'd like to think it was mostly just part of him trying to mitigate the atrocious culture he became a part of (obviously not the best approach, and some split-second aggression was involved too).

I'd never fault him for taking all the $$ he could get, and I suspect he was also sort of trying to replicate the situation he had in Calgary (as much as we hate to admit it, if you ignore their atrocious team culture, there is no city more like Calgary in the league)
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 10:24 PM   #31
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pretty sure that just leaves Iggy as the last player from the 04 team. Unless Kobasew or Lombardi make huge comebacks.

Iginla was 26 at the time.

Ference had a good career. Not bad for an 8th round pick.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 1qqaaz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2016, 11:36 PM   #32
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Happy retirement Ference! That Flames team was never the same without you.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 11:39 PM   #33
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
I still think it's awesome how a member of CP got to be the captain of the Oilers. I like to tell myself that he was secretly sabotaging the team from within. Something any CP member would gladly do.
While I agree, thats like someone punching holes in the Titanic after it has already hit the iceberg or taking a lighter to the Hindenberg while its already crashed into the ground.

The job was already well and truly done.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2016, 12:13 AM   #34
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
Quite obvious he was CP Black Ops. Well-done okotoker!

(In jest)

Last edited by Reggie Dunlop; 09-18-2016 at 12:21 AM.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2016, 12:21 AM   #35
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

I now see okotoker is reading this thread.

Thanks Andrew, you're a stand-up guy!
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2016, 02:44 AM   #36
dying4acup
First Line Centre

Exp:

Thank you Andrew, you were always a winner! Hopefully you can forget the Oiler years, and be FOREVER A FLAME!
dying4acup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 03:50 AM   #37
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Ference was a great Flame to watch. Loved his time here... Too bad about the Edmonton thing...
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 10:23 AM   #38
drewtastic
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Former Flame Andrew Ference retires after 16-year NHL career

Great name, great number.

Congrats on a stellar career!
drewtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 10:32 AM   #39
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Ference was always one of my favourite Flames, and was always criminally underrated. I'm sure when he looks back he will know he had an amazing career.

I don't even really remember his years at the Oil, I kind of just block it from my memory and focus on the good times in Calgary.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 10:46 AM   #40
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Let's weigh this out, shall we:

POSITIVES:
-An Alberta boy
-Played for the Flames
-Played for the Flames during 04
-Contributing member of CP
-Had the most fortunate of 'glove malfunctions' against some of the worst fans in the league
-Won the Cup in 2011, gave a shout out to the run in 04 and all the boys
-Numerous charity contributions in every city he played
-Tried to make the world a greener place

NEGATIVES:
-Had a heat of the moment incident against Lee Stempniak, who played all of 160 games in a Flames uniform

Thanks for the memories, Andrew. Best of luck with everything in the future!

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:

Tags
bruins , ference , flames , oilers , okotoker